PDA

View Full Version : Whacky Riding Laws

WingStuff
10-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Are there any motorcycle/driving laws in your town or state that have you scratching your head or laughing out loud? If so please share here!

For example...did you know: Arizona Statute 28-910 is referred to as the 'Stupid Motorist' law. So if you ride around a barrier and enter a flooded street (which are quite common during monsoon season) and get stranded, you might have to pay for the cost of your rescue.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0qjRE4CIAAH1Wc.jpg:large

Ixol Phaane
10-23-2014, 05:43 PM
Go figure! :icon_rolleyes:

badpapi
10-23-2014, 06:19 PM
helmet law = :bsII:

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

jaygollner
10-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Are there any motorcycle/driving laws in your town or state that have you scratching your head or laughing out loud? If so please share here!

For example...did you know: Arizona Statute 28-910 is referred to as the 'Stupid Motorist' law. So if you ride around a barrier and enter a flooded street (which are quite common during monsoon season) and get stranded, you might have to pay for the cost of your rescue.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0qjRE4CIAAH1Wc.jpg:large

That sounds reasonable to me, call it Darwin's law, if you are so stupid as to need the government to rescue you then you should have to pay for it.

Injun Joe
10-23-2014, 06:47 PM
In Wyoming you only have to wear a helmet until you're 18. There is some law about ape hangers too. I think they can't be above your shoulders or some such. They are actually ticketing people for that at Sturgis this year, so I guess South Dakota must have it too. In Colorado you can't have your license plate sideways.

bobbyf6b
10-23-2014, 10:04 PM
That sounds reasonable to me, call it Darwin's law, if you are so stupid as to need the government to rescue you then you should have to pay for it.

Like healthcare? I digress...

Spewey Griffin
10-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Our Government is currently investigating making 'Lane Filtering' / 'Lane Splitting' legal under 30km/h (about 17mph). Currently illegal.

Also looking at approving helmets with US/Europe/Japan approval. Currently must be Australian approval only.

There's always public argey bargey over M/C's only requiring a rear number plate, which I see changing shortly with the constant introduction of fixed radar and now fixed cameras that will read plates for Speed, Criminal History, Warrants, Drivers License, vehicle registration and the ticket/s will beat you home.

Reb
10-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Courier Mail article re Qeensland police and motorcycle rider.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/motorcyclist-fined-146-for-lifting-his-leg-off-footrest/story-fnihsrf2-1226797016499

53driver
10-24-2014, 07:01 AM
...and the other article in that link? Fined $44 for leaving the car windows down a few cm's to let hot air escape?
All windows must be up in Oz?
That's a bit weird....
Steve

Spewey Griffin
10-24-2014, 07:57 AM
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/motorcyclist-fined-146-for-lifting-his-leg-off-footrest/story-fnihsrf2-1226797016499

Riders can't take their feet off the pegs until the M/C comes to a complete stop. Easily done.....if you're lying sideways in the gutter.

Retired Army
10-24-2014, 08:31 AM
The helmet debate goes on. The most important control on any machinery is the brain. Without it nothing moves. It is paramount to preserve and educate the only one thatl was issued.

badpapi
10-24-2014, 09:17 PM
The helmet debate goes on. The most important control on any machinery is the brain. Without it nothing moves. It is paramount to preserve and educate the only one thatl was issued.

helmet law still:bsII: 9337

WingStuff
10-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Wow that's crazy! We're definitely going to post this one on our FB!

Ridlikhel
10-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Having had my brain swell, bleed and experienced what happens to your brain after it slams into the concrete, once already, I'll never ride without a helmet!!!!! Taking weeks to get your wits together to realize your not quite right, is very scary too.

jkelley
10-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Having had my brain swell, bleed and experienced what happens to your brain after it slams into the concrete, once already, I'll never ride without a helmet!!!!! Taking weeks to get your wits together to realize your not quite right, is very scary too.

I understand your logic, and I too always wear one. I have to protect the last few brain cells I have left, but I also support the individuals right to be able to choose to wear or not! If you decide to take the chance and get your melon busted it's all on you. Natural cleansing of the gene pool I guess?

SpeedyWho
10-28-2014, 07:35 AM

I respect your right not to wear a helmet, but please do the someone the ultimate favor and sign your organ donor card.

badpapi
10-28-2014, 09:04 PM
I respect your right not to wear a helmet, but please do the someone the ultimate favor and sign your organ donor card.

i did that the first time i got my license !

valkmc
10-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Not sure if they still do it but I went to Sturgis in 2002 and watched a couple of cops pulling over bikes because the driver did not put both feet down at a four way stop. The only reason I put them both down was there was a line caused by people looking at the cops.