PDA

View Full Version : Goldwing seats

Glenf6b
10-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Will a fuller dressed Goldwing seat fit on the F6b? Does anyone have one for sale?

Glenf6b
10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
fuller dressed.......meant full dressed

Steve 0080
10-23-2014, 10:53 PM
No.......

98valk
10-31-2014, 05:19 PM
No.......

Hey Steve,

Can you elaborate on this any? It looks like the side panels are similar. I would think that the frames are the same. It looks like they use similar grab rail mounting holes.

Do you know exactly why a goldwing seat will not fit the F6b? Of course the rear is not the same.

TIA

Steve 0080
10-31-2014, 07:34 PM
No Sir.... all I know is it will not fit... I have never done a side by side to compare.... just have been told on many occasions they will not go together...one of the reasons we had to wait a year to get a after market seat...

98valk
10-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info.

I am interested because I was able to put a Goldwing driver's backrest on my F6 for a recent trip. Because the hand rails are different, it required some longer bolts, spacers and a little gerry-rigging, but the holes lined up perfectly.

Some time, maybe I'll get a chance to try one for myself and give my feedback.

Thanks again.

Steve 0080
10-31-2014, 10:31 PM
Thats interesting...maybe we have been lied to all this time ?????

royr
11-01-2014, 04:36 AM
A GW seat will not fit on F6B. Without even looking under the seat to see what needs to be changed, the first problem would be that the rear deck cover would have to be removed and replaced with ???.

Jimmytee
11-01-2014, 06:47 AM
The seat, or should I say seating position, is one of the reasons I chose a F6B. :shrug: The cheaper price, the styling also played a role, but the regular trunked version of the GoldWing has me sitting in a more bunched up to the tank feeling. I'm perfectly happy with the Corbin seat I put on.

Steve 0080
11-01-2014, 07:17 AM
The seat, or should I say seating position, is one of the reasons I chose a F6B. :shrug: The cheaper price, the styling also played a role, but the regular trunked version of the GoldWing has me sitting in a more bunched up to the tank feeling. I'm perfectly happy with the Corbin seat I put on.

+1

royr
11-01-2014, 12:10 PM

+2

The riding position on my 2012 GL1800 with the MBL kit was the main reason I traded it. The F6B is much better.

thatonebiker
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
The f6b seat is about 3 inches wider than the gw one the bikes have the same frame but the seat pans are different and have different spacers so they work with the handles properly

F6BHunter
02-22-2016, 10:41 PM
I asked my Honda Sales manager about this a cpl months back, he said because the way the seat tapers and the side bag release handles wouldnt line up and work.

Hadnt done the side by side, just taking his word since he has upgraded a cpl of seats on the floor model F6B's

yellow rex
02-24-2016, 10:13 PM
No it will not work! The seat pans are totally I own two Goldwing and a F6b the pan on the B tapers at the rear and has more
bolts to hold it on. Have you ever had the seat of your F6 if so did you look at the bottom of the set pan?

I will post a pic of a Goldwing seat pan in a few days when I go out to the garage if you like.

98valk
02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
I realize that the F6B hand rails would not fit using a goldwing seat. And the two seats differ in the rear.

But, I gotta believe that the frame/mounting holes are the same. That is, the four main mounts - forget the two rear ones. I have mounted a goldwing backrest that uses those four bolts. I use it on long trips.

So it seems that a goldwing seat would set on an F6B frame and bolt on, and leave a gap at the rear. Will it do that? If not, why not?

This is just a curiosity itch that needs scratching at this point. Thanks.

Dave Ritsema
02-25-2016, 11:26 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. If someone wants a more comfortable seat get an Ultimate and it will fit properly and look great!

Retired Army
02-25-2016, 12:43 PM
Dave, I resorted to the Russell up grade plus a trike kit. The saddle is a dual which means it is custom made for me and the wife. A photo of both of us and a OEM seat pan had to be sent to Russell guaranteeing a perfect fit the first time. Our weight and leg length were also considered in the construction. This a lengthy process but well worth the time and expense. I also installed a passenger seat back extension, purchased from Steve. The modes kept the expenses manager on my side.

98valk
02-25-2016, 01:44 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. If someone wants a more comfortable seat get an Ultimate and it will fit properly and look great!

That's not the point, Dave.

I already have a Mustang seat. When I was first shopping for seats, there were some interesting goldwing aftermarket seats for sale. Some of the aftermarket seats are pretty nice. Mustangs and Ultimates were not available.

Since I use a trunk in the winter, maybe a goldwing seat would have worked for winter (minus the handrails)? Don't know. :shrug:

Anyway, the question at this point is not, "why would you do it?". It is, "will it physically/mechanically fit?". I would still be interested in knowing, just for kicks. Maybe someone else would like to know, too.

Retired Army
02-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Perhaps a better question would be, are you willing to pay for the seat, labor and the parts to modify the F6B to accept it?

98valk
02-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Perhaps a better question would be, are you willing to pay for the seat, labor and the parts to modify the F6B to accept it?

No, my question remains the same. Does the seat physically fit?

If you don't know the answer or don't want to know the answer, fine. I am kinda getting tired of opinions that have nothing to do with the original question.

I already have a seat. I have wondered about this for a couple of years and would still like to know. That's that, Jack!

yellow rex
02-25-2016, 04:39 PM
98valk I will take a pic of the stock seat on the F6 the next time I remove the seat
I have two Goldwing seats one stock and a Utimate I will put one of them for you.

DMAGOLDRDR
02-25-2016, 05:08 PM

If you don't know the answer or don't want to know the answer, fine. I am kinda getting tired of opinions that have nothing to do with the original question.

I already have a seat. I have wondered about this for a couple of years and would still like to know. That's that, Jack!

Your not alone 98Valk,,,
I know I will keep watching for a real answer. I also want to know just for my own useless information.

98valk
02-25-2016, 05:33 PM
98valk I will take a pic of the stock seat on the F6 the next time I remove the seat
I have two Goldwing seats one stock and a Utimate I will put one of them for you.

Thanks Rex,
I would like to see if the seat actually fits on the F6 frame. Take your time; I'm not going anywhere. :)
Edit: That's a 2012 or up GW?

Your not alone 98Valk,,,
I know I will keep watching for a real answer. I also want to know just for my own useless information.

Thanks. Glad that I'm not alone on this. Thought I was going to get an earful! :yikes:

On a side note but related:
I had thought of cutting my stock seat into two parts. The very rear of the seat that goes under the backrest and luggage rack would be one piece and the front the other. This way, maybe the seat could be removed without removing the backrest or luggage rack. The rear of the seat could be bolted down with those two extra bolt spots.

I know, it's only four bolts. But with both the backrest and the luggage rack, it's a sloppy mess of hardware when loose. Not to mention if it was loaded up on a trip. So, the idea of a GW seat fitting but not covering the very rear area is still interesting.

DMAGOLDRDR
02-25-2016, 09:35 PM
My thought is.. The Wing seat pan should just need to be cut in order to clear the rear deck cover. Cutting the pan and resculpting the rear section and then recovering MAY be all that is needed.

Just a wild thought.

DAF6b
02-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Third major change after exhaust and windshield. Seat and windshield were major selling points, however replacement definitely made riding 100% better. Mustang Tripper Fastback Deluxe (Tuck & Roll Center).

stepbill
03-02-2016, 07:46 PM

That has always bothered me also. When I ask a question, answer it and thats it. If I happen to ask for an opinion, than that changes the response and all responses are welcome :stirthepot:.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-22-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm picking up a friends Wing seat tonight and will pull my seat off and see if the Wing seat fits. I'll try to get pictures of them both for anyone else that just wants to know if... the Wing seat will work.

98valk
03-22-2016, 11:31 PM
I'm picking up a friends Wing seat tonight and will pull my seat off and see if the Wing seat fits. I'll try to get pictures of them both for anyone else that just wants to know if... the Wing seat will work.

My latest realization is that the rear deck may have to be modified for a wing seat to fit. It just seems that the holes should line up, otherwise. Let us know! :popcorn:

DMAGOLDRDR
03-23-2016, 06:49 AM
Turns out the seat I picked up was an Ultimate off an 08 Wing not a stock seat off a new Wing. You will see a gap along the bottom of the seat, that is because I didn't get a picture while the bolts were in. In the picture the seat was just sitting in place..

The Wing seat will sit in place and bolt up BUT as we figured, BUT the rear of the seat pan will need to be cut and narrowed to access the F6B saddlebag latches also need to be made a bit longer to cover the area where the Wings Trunk would be.

All in all the Wing seat can be used but will take some major changes to the seat pan, foam and cover all at the rear of the seat. Mainly due to the saddlebag latches.

98valk
03-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's what we wanted to know. :clap2:

It actually fit better than I thought it might. But, that is a pretty big gap to fill somehow ... Hmmmm .....

thumper 549
10-01-2017, 09:00 AM
When someone says it cant be done, it usually means someone else will make it done.

thumper 549
10-03-2017, 05:54 AM
To answer my own self-
I was just checking frames on eBay-
They are the same back to at least 2002 afaik or can tell.
So- the seat should actually fit .
One might have to add some other gold wing stuff to the F6B.
As soon as I find a seat I will try it, as all my bikes end up with split personalities.