PDA

View Full Version : Road Hazards

jkelley
10-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Ok, I'm used to being a target for cars, dodging deer, small animals etc when I ride but give me a freaking break.

Rode to work this morning cold as hell, slight fog inside my face shield so visibility not 100%, good but not perfect.

Came into the office with my coffee, and not 15 minutes behind me a co-worker comes in all pissed off with a dent in the side of her car.

She said she had hit a fiberglass handled shovel laying in the road and when she hit it the darn thing kicked up smacking the side of her car, She said she saw it just before hitting it but said she didn't have time to react. This gal goes the same way I do and when she told me where she had hit it I had just come through not 15 minutes earlier. Obviously some dumbass didn't secure it on a trailer or on the back of his truck and it had fallen into the road between the time I came through, and when she did. All I know is I would hate to have hit the damn thing on my bike!!

Be aware my friends it's dangerous out there!

GNW
10-24-2014, 02:03 PM
You do have to be alert !!
Luck is a plus too !!

Steve 0080
10-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Timing is everything !!!!

Primo
10-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Last week I rode past the last on ramp before I get off the freeway for work. I was in the #1 slow lane nearest the shoulder.

I see some commotion in my right side mirror.

Behind me where I had just passed not more than 5 seconds earlier, some yahoo missed the curve on the on ramp, went over the side and took out a light pole that fell into the #1 lane where I had just been.

Talk about my lucky stars....

Timing is indeed everything.

dksmith
10-24-2014, 05:00 PM
This summer a NY idiot lost an unsecured wheelbarrow off a landscape trailer in front of me. Thankfully I wasn't following too close, had time to brake hard and stay away from it. Wheelbarrows can bounce pretty high when dropped at 60 mph. Their bounces are not predictable either.
Another mayhem averted moment.

Spewey Griffin
10-24-2014, 06:16 PM
A good timely warning as we approach Christmas, when people will travel the countryside on holidays with 4 pushbikes, 1 stroller, portable BBQ and Grandma strapped to the roof with 2 bungy cords. :icon_doh:

ReserveBum
10-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Two things I never want to see while I am riding:
1) "Buick" - I dont care if Tiger Woods drives one. 99% of them are driven by whiteheads and they will kill you
2) "Garage Sale" - also known as "Tag" sales, "Estate" sales...dosent matter...people will be stopping in the roadway and other stupid shit to look at that 20 year old lawn mower

grendl
10-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I think the term 'road alligators' refers to pieces of truck tires but I call everything lying in the road "road alligator". Flat pieces of wood, which if taken directly are easy but in the line of a curve OMG!
Tree branches that have fallen off a pickup difficult to see and recognize.
Not to mention somebody's doggie running across the street , then the beloved forest animals in and out of town.
I did a run this summer through a 'free range' area of Colorado. Didn't know what that meant when I saw the signs - then an honest to God Bull comes charging down the road. Not at me specifically but his course was erratic and I am trying to figure out how not to be there when he gets close.Really glad there was still sunlight-at night I don't know that I would have seen him or recognized what it was. (He was all black)
All the stuff we have to be super aware of when we travel - only advice is stay on top of your game out there.
I enjoy 'night flights' so my radar stays up full-all the time....

fxdl2051
10-25-2014, 10:52 PM
Here's another 'things that make you go ahg!" Long timey ago riding through the industrial part of town on my trusty KZ400 when I saw a flattened refrigerator box lying in the lane ahead. I was thinking of riding over it when the slipstream of a passing truck lifted it back up to it's full width in my lane making for quick dart out of my lane. But I'll never forget the sight of that thing standing up to greet me.

fxdl2051
10-25-2014, 10:55 PM
My gf who lived in Tampa was out talking a morning walk when she came upon what she took for a log in the middle of the pavement. On getting closer, she realized it was a gator, that's all she needed to know.

Spanky
10-26-2014, 07:04 PM
came around a corner one day, and found a car door in the road... A CAR DOOR. Turns out a couple miles ahead, there was a beat up pickup with scrap metal going to the junkyard with nothing tied down. Lesson, if you come across a car door, stop and pick it up. you may have a chance to return the favor just up ahead.

zeus661
10-26-2014, 07:28 PM
While on vacation last summer in Oklahoma I had a piece of concrete from the road fly past me. I was rolling about 85mph when the car in front of me kicked it up. I only saw it for a brief moment but I swear it was the size of a trash can lid and about 3 inches thick.

Deer Slayer
10-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Two things I never want to see while I am riding:
1) "Buick" - I dont care if Tiger Woods drives one. 99% of them are driven by whiteheads and they will kill you
2) "Garage Sale" - also known as "Tag" sales, "Estate" sales...dosent matter...people will be stopping in the roadway and other stupid shit to look at that 20 year old lawn mower

3. Look darling, dead leaves, then slam on brakes to take a photo with out turning off the Parkway! :yikes:

FrednJean
10-26-2014, 08:43 PM
How about a small boulder, stuck between the two rear tires of a tri-axle, going 70mph down the highway.
But the "best"? was a horse walking in the middle of the road at night!

jkelley
10-27-2014, 05:28 AM
3. Look darling, dead leaves, then slam on brakes to take a photo with out turning off the Parkway! :yikes:

Yeah. no kidding. I like to ride the parkway, but this time of year I stay off the darn thing. Seems like riders killed up there every day for just exactly what you are saying.

LX2
10-27-2014, 07:23 AM
There are PVC pylons about 36" high, so if on a bike (like I was that busy afternoon) riding about 75mph, there really is no safe escape. I see a pickup (same speed) in the normal traffic side with a round lid from a Igloo water jug flailing about in the bed. Yep...............it broke loose and came whizzing passed me. That coulda hurt.

Madmax
10-27-2014, 12:21 PM
New Jersey Turnpike above exit 7A or Garden State PKY its not for beginers

fxdl2051
10-28-2014, 04:13 AM
There are PVC pylons about 36" high, so if on a bike (like I was that busy afternoon) riding about 75mph, there really is no safe escape. I see a pickup (same speed) in the normal traffic side with a round lid from a Igloo water jug flailing about in the bed. Yep...............it broke loose and came whizzing passed me. That coulda hurt.
Is your f6 actually blue or is that the lighting in the photo because I really like that color?

LX2
10-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Is your f6 actually blue or is that the lighting in the photo because I really like that color?

It's blue, depending on how you look at it too. Actually I'm all about RED but this was different so, it came home with me.

DaWadd
10-28-2014, 08:41 AM
It's blue, depending on how you look at it too. Actually I'm all about RED but this was different so, it came home with me.

That blue paint job looks very nice.:yes:

jkelley
10-28-2014, 08:59 AM
That blue paint job looks very nice.:yes:

Ditto