PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a "motorcycle" GPS for 5x the price?

4bobo
10-24-2014, 10:27 PM
Garmin car GPSs cost about 1/5 of a Zumo 590LM.

I am looking at the Garmin 1597LM for 170.

It has lifetime maps, smartphone and bluetooth integration.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Steve 0080
10-24-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a couple of friends that use the same type...when it rains, they put a baggie over it, if the vibration finally kills it they throw it a way and get another......who is to say which is Right? Although it is a lot cheaper !!!

ISLANDER1089
10-25-2014, 07:16 AM
I have the older Garmin 1450LM designed for use in cars. A couple of years ago I decided to take a two month motorcycle ride around North America and knew that I needed a GPS. My biggest concern was protecting it in the rain. I couldn't justify the high cost of the Garmin Zumo line so I used the baggie. What I found was that the baggie obscured my ability to see the screen especially when it was wet.
That's when I decided to invest in a Garmin Zumo 350LMT. Not only was it waterproof but also had this very slick quick disconnect mount that allowed me to remove it with the press of a button when I didn't feel comfortable leaving it on the bike.
The only downside was that the Zumo has a smaller screen.
The Zumo 590LM is one of their most expensive models so you could save some money by getting a more affordable model.

tinkerman
10-25-2014, 07:24 AM
I have been questioning the same thing for years. I just quietly use a little $80 "on special" unit that I snap onto a ball receiver mounted on the handlebars.

Quite frankly, the vibration produced by the F6B and many other modern bikes is no worse than many modern four wheel vehicles so I don't consider vibration a huge issue.

Rain is problematic I am sure on a non bike specific GPS unit but a baggy works in worse case circumstances as stated previously. You only need the GPS when you are in un familiar cities or exploring back roads. When I am making distance on the highway I usually have it tucked away in the cubby. It likely depends on your approach to motorcycling but I generally wouldn't be out snooping around in un familiar territory on a motorcycle in the rain in any case....I would just get where I am going and leave the exploring for a better day.

Bottom line is I have cheaped out on GPS technology and use the same unit on my bike as I do in the cage. If it gets lost, or dropped or water logged I just replace it. With a little care I have probably only been through three units in the last 8 years and two of these are still working. I just happened to get some place and needed a GPS having left it on the bike back in the shop so bought another inexpensive unit.

My approach.....my experience....for what it is worth.

tink

Miwhite
10-25-2014, 07:31 AM
I tried using a Tomtom Gps on my bike. I could not view it easily in sunlight. My Zumo 450 is visible in sunlight, even while wearing dark sun-glasses.

DJL951
10-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.

er.medic
10-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Why not just buy a Lifeproof Waterproof case($50-60) for the iPhone and use the built in Maps program?? It has bluetooth, it's waterproof, and has turn by turn voice directions.

That's what I do and it works great :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
10-25-2014, 08:28 AM
I use my phone, that my company pays for. It's a Motorola Droid Razr M . I have a mount that is made specifically for it. The phone is secure in it and it keeps it charged. Also, when I put the phone in the mount, it changes the screen to "vehicle" mode offering large icons for navigation and phone use. These can be customized. The phone is water resistant, not water proof, but behind the fairing it has to be really down pouring to get wet. The upside to using the phone GPS is that it can update for traffic conditions and road changes. The down side is that it does not store maps so you must have a signal when you first set up a trip. Once the map is in place, there is no issues really. Is it quite as nice as a stand alone GPS, probably not as seamless, but it functions and I can answer my phone if need be through the bluetoothe and Scala G9 on my helmet. The biggest plus is I don't pay for it.

Injun Joe
10-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm not overly fond of GPS on a motorcycle. A big reason why I ride is for solitude. That's why I'm not a big fan of sound systems either. However, on those times when I'll want one or the other, the phone hooked to the USB in the saddlebag works fine. Haven't really had a chance to put it in actual use yet, but I have tested it a couple times and it works great. Biggest thing to consider is whether you want a GPS that finally gives up on you completely if you go your own way or one that insists on redirecting you to your stated destination until you shut it off. Oh, I should say I use in ear monitors as ear plugs even with the sound off, so I'm not relying on directions coming through the speakers.

opas ride
10-25-2014, 10:36 AM
I have never seen a real need for a GPS on a bike..The old fashioned map works for me and gives also gives old guys like me a chance to stop and get off the bike for a minute...Although I marvel at modern technology, GPS's on a bike makes no sense to me.....JMHO

XKnight
10-25-2014, 11:08 AM
I was slow to embrace GPS for cars, but when my work bought them for all of us I finally tried it and now use it all the time. For bikes, I still use maps and hand written directions. Haven't got lost yet. I would probably bring along a cheap $100 GPS if I was doing a cross country trip just to have it as a backup.

bigbird
10-25-2014, 11:24 AM
I use a Garmin Nuvi 2557 in the car and on the bike. The display is nice and big, but I do have an issue with brightness and glare. I mount the GPS on a ball mount on the clutch lever base. The viewing angle is critical. If it is just right, I get no reflection or glare. If the angle is off a little bit vertically, I can hardly see the display. Would I spend $600+ on a Zumo? Only if I had an abundance of play money and only if I was guaranteed no glare. And I rarely even use my GPS on my bike, also only as a safety backup. I like to peruse paper or Google maps first.

grendl
10-25-2014, 11:33 AM
I am of the same mind as Opus. When I have travelled, as I cross state lines or as needed, I just stop at the info centers,get a map,plot my course while I rest and have a snack,remember the route and travel on.
When I am looking for a place specific I ask my phone to get the location. Being old school the map works best for me personally.
My buddies have the GPS units with satellite radio which is nice,but the fidelity on my F6B as good as it is,deteriorates at speed on the road, and again my personal choice is the sound of my pipes and the wind.
To each his own but I dont want a lot of 'stuff' hanging off the bars or destroying the sexy lines of my scooter. So far right now I can do without GPS. That money is going towards lights,belly pan and maybe a new seat....
I reserve the right to change my mind :icon_redface:

olds34dude
10-25-2014, 05:59 PM
I am too famous for my short cuts to let a GPS get me there sooner or easier:icon_rolleyes:

shooter
10-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Hey Bobo for what its worth. I had one Garmin killed by vibration. Two years ago I bought a Garmin 560LMT DEZL. It is heavy duty and has done good for me for two years. A plus is it has a powered cradle. I bought three extra cradles at $19.95 each and have a cradle on both bikes , car and truck. Whatever vehicle I get in or on I just grab the DEZL and pop it in the cradle.

motozeke
10-25-2014, 07:35 PM
I tried using a Tomtom Gps on my bike. I could not view it easily in sunlight. My Zumo 450 is visible in sunlight, even while wearing dark sun-glasses.

This has been the #1 difference between my Zumo and my phone and car GPS. Much more visible in sunlight. And it's nice not having to worry about rain.

db24
10-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Interesting question!

Do you really need a six cylinder 1832cc engine when a 125cc would do?
Do you need a fairing? Fog lights? A custom seat? Different windshield?

The point being, none of us NEED any of these, to include even owning a F6B. If you can afford to spend a little more to do it better, faster, safer or more conveniently and can afford it, then why not buy the best. So, if the feel like you would benefit from a brighter screen, xm radio, bluetooth connectivity to make and receive telephone calls via your GPS, as well as waterproof/ vibration protection, then spend more for it. If you don't need those things, go cheap or go without. As others said, a map will get us where we need to go. That's the fun of accessorizing... you don't have to have and do everything like the rest.

I suspect that motorcycle accessory companies love F6B owners when it comes to options for the scoot.

4bobo
10-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Interesting question!

Do you really need a six cylinder 1832cc engine when a 125cc would do?
Do you need a fairing? Fog lights? A custom seat? Different windshield?

The point being, none of us NEED any of these, to include even owning a F6B. If you can afford to spend a little more to do it better, faster, safer or more conveniently and can afford it, then why not buy the best. So, if the feel like you would benefit from a brighter screen, xm radio, bluetooth connectivity to make and receive telephone calls via your GPS, as well as waterproof/ vibration protection, then spend more for it. If you don't need those things, go cheap or go without. As others said, a map will get us where we need to go. That's the fun of accessorizing... you don't have to have and do everything like the rest.

I suspect that motorcycle accessory companies love F6B owners when it comes to options for the scoot.

I agree with the premise, other than an F6B not being a necessity :icon_biggrin:, but my question concerns the bang for the buck.
I would be happy to pay double for the aforementioned extras that a 'motorcycle' GPS has but my heartburn is the 5x factor.
I have purchased two additional windshields, fog lights, heated grips and a day-long seat in my first month of ownership so I am willing to spend if there is value.

Thank you to all for your insightful responses!

Spewey Griffin
10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Reading this thread has piqued my interest in a M/C dedicated GPS, so I had a look at the Zumos including the 390, 590 etc. I found the graphics really disappointing, they reminded me of something from Game Machines in the 80's. I was expecting 'Pub Pong' to be an option for those rain delays. I'll stick with a map and my memory....while it holds out.:icon_lol:
I'd really expect something a bit more cutting edge considering the price they charge.

wantone
10-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Yes U do"coffee"

Jimmytee
10-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Reading this thread has piqued my interest in a M/C dedicated GPS, so I had a look at the Zumos including the 390, 590 etc. I found the graphics really disappointing, they reminded me of something from Game Machines in the 80's. I was expecting 'Pub Pong' to be an option for those rain delays. I'll stick with a map and my memory....while it holds out.:icon_lol:
I'd really expect something a bit more cutting edge considering the price they charge.

My phone actually uses Google earth pictures to make the maps, so you see buildings too in the map.

Spewey Griffin
10-25-2014, 11:56 PM
My phone actually uses Google earth pictures to make the maps, so you see buildings too in the map.

Thanks Jimmytee. I'll also look to alternative options. I'm not that keen on sticking anything on the bars anyway and spoiling the lines. I'll probably stick to a phone or IPAD if I get stuck.

4bobo
10-26-2014, 12:32 AM
That's what I do and it works great :icon_biggrin:

I like the idea but Lifeproof has not released a case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus yet.

I like the concept but the RAM version looks to have a stouter mount.

Of course the RAM iPhone 6 Plus specific holder has not been released either.

I think I better wait to see what gets released before splashing 800 bucks on a GPS.

d-shark
10-26-2014, 09:20 AM
After using Garmin on my motorcycle for years I went to the TomTom Rider motorcycle GPS which I also use in my truck. Construction is rugged, best screen in sunlight of any GPS I have used, price is much less than the Garmin and lifetime map updates. I really like the TomTom Rider, have used it on three long trips now. Between my Android phone and the TomTom GPS I have no need to carry any paper maps or atlas with me.

If you are a current Garmin user (as I was) switching to the TomTom requires some patience, the two function differently. My point here is you have to read the Manual and learn the TomTom. I did and I won't be going back to Garmin.

Fleet
10-27-2014, 07:55 AM
I bought a used Garmin Nuvi with lifetime updates and placed it in a RAM Aqua Box. The Aqua Box worked well protecting the GPS from moisture and vibration. One drawback of the Box was that the plastic window would sometimes reflect the sun and prevent viewing of the GPS.

mtcgun
10-27-2014, 08:45 AM
I've used a car GPS for years in a case like this, It has foam inside it that im sure takes out some vibration. Its been thru many heavy rains and car washes and has never let any water in. I did take off the little handlebar strappy thing and screw a ram mount ball onto the back. : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-Case-Bag-for-4-3-GPS-GARMIN-NUVI-/251542956852?pt=US_Mounts_Holders&hash=item3a9120eb34

BuzzzPhotos
10-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I also use my iPhone & a life proof case. I also plug my iPad into the usb cable in the trunk so I can hear the directions over the tunes as well as see the directions on my iPhone. Saved me from buying a gps for the long trips.

Steve 0080
10-27-2014, 05:49 PM
I also use my iPhone & a life proof case. I also plug my iPad into the usb cable in the trunk so I can hear the directions over the tunes as well as see the directions on my iPhone. Saved me from buying a gps for the long trips.

FYI.... I pulled out of Franklin, NC... told my iPhone to go home....told my Garmin 550 to go home... Garmin was one hour SHORTER.....you guessed it...got home one hour early!!!!
Not sure why the difference.....

miramiramira
10-27-2014, 06:19 PM
The problem with using a smartphone for GPS for those of use who live and ride west of the 98th meridian is that there are significant expanses of the Great American Desert and the Intermountain West that do not have cell/data service. Most mapping apps require data service in order to refresh the map as location changes. Without that data connection...nada. I have found an iPhone app that stores the entire North American continent on the phone itself (GPS Copilot) and it's useful in a pinch but it's pretty clunky. Also, one can't manipulate the map controls on a smartphone without taking off gloves (unless you've got those really cool new gloves that channel your GSR through the glove to the screen).

My personal choice is to continue using paper maps. But, on the trip from Durango, CO to Logan, UT I could have used a GPS because it was really difficult to calculate a reasonably accurate ETA given all the backroads we took.

So, if you live and ride places that have reliable cell/data coverage, smartphone may be all you need. If you don't have reliable cell/data coverage, paper or GPS are the way to go. If I was going GPS, I'd probably consider the Zumo worth the price.

LX2
10-28-2014, 01:16 PM
On a Ram mount. on a ball mount on the clutch reservoir, it's a Garmin Nuvi, larger screen, Bluetooth it off my iPhone 6 and I can get real-time weather, from Best Buy with Black-tie warranty so I'm good to go, free lifetime updates, starts to rain I bag it, traffic conditions too!

MarcPW
10-28-2014, 05:41 PM
If you have an iPhone, downloading the TomTom app could be cheaper than getting a GPS... Check if this app has life upgrade, I think it does here in NZ.

Elin in So. Cal.
10-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Because when you don't get cellular reception, you are SOL. I know. Deep in the Rockies, the phone was useless. Heck, it was useless in the California High Sierras in Sequoia National Park (as was everybody else's phone).

I am toying with getting a GPS since I enjoy solo touring and wandering back roads is a pleasure. I have slightly different concerns than a 220 pound male, however.
Most women riders I know have no desire for this kind of unwanted attention. This video explains what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A
If you have cell towers and can get reception on your phone, then that's a great way to go. Out west with the vast expanses of nothing (desirable for motorcycle touring!!), I think a GPS is the way to go.

shooter
10-28-2014, 07:16 PM
You're right Elin. I live where there isn't always cell reception. The GPS always works unless you're in a cave. I carry a portable CB in the bag on long trips.

foodog2
10-30-2014, 11:32 PM
its only important if you want to pic your own roads to route and not auto route. If you favor the back roads it is the way to go.

srt8-in-largo
10-31-2014, 12:55 AM

I have slightly different concerns than a 220 pound male, however.

Most women riders I know have no desire for this kind of unwanted attention. This video explains what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

Note the skin color of the vast majority of the harassers...

Injun Joe
10-31-2014, 05:58 AM
its only important if you want to pic your own roads to route and not auto route. If you favor the back roads it is the way to go.

How do you use it for secondary roads? I know TomTom has the winding roads thing -- is that it?