PDA

View Full Version : Tip - Relax your Baggershield hardware.

Ixol Phaane
10-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Hey, folks... I've had a Baggershield 11/19 on my ride for a few months now... used it through the summer months and have generally enjoyed it.
I've been carrying the top shield stowed behind the lower using the quick release hardware with the compressible rubber well-nut. I prefer to use only the lower shield when I'm riding solo, and sometimes use the top shield when my girl is with me.

Last weekend I went to take the top shield out from behind the lower, and wouldn't you know, the rubber well-nuts have been compressed and in-place for so long a couple of them didn't want to relax and push back through the holes in the shields. :yikes: It made it a little difficult to get the two pieces apart for a while. If I had let them remain like that for too much longer, I think I might have had to cut them off and replace with new.

So... the reason for posting this is to remind anyone who is using the Baggershield 11/19... those compression nuts that secure the two shields together should be released and allowed to relax and decompress often.

My best advice is not to ride with the top shield - stowed or in place - unless it's for a particular trip. Certainly don't keep the two shields bolted together for months at a time as I did.

I've decided I'll be leaving my top shield at home, with the hardware loosened, unless I know I'll have a passenger. And to pretty-up the three holes in the lower shield, I found some black nylon hole plugs at Lowe's, in the hardware section. :icon_biggrin:

Ride safe!

bigbird
10-27-2014, 11:05 PM
Have you tried spraying your nuts with silicone? Keeps them soft and pliable.
As for your well-nuts, silicone could help them too. :wrong:

srt8-in-largo
10-27-2014, 11:15 PM
:lolup:

Good tip.

Steve 0080
10-28-2014, 01:05 PM
TMI............:yikes:

Phantom
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Have you tried spraying your nuts with silicone? Keeps them soft and pliable.
As for your well-nuts, silicone could help them too. :wrong:

:nono:

PLEASE ….. NO PICTURES :shock:

JackB
10-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Thanks. Now when I store my bike for the winter I'll be taking the shield off. Like you I only used the lower shield when riding this summer and added the top when it got cooler.
Thanks for not posting the nut pictures.:yikes::yikes:

Ixol Phaane
10-28-2014, 10:25 PM

It didn't help.
And she says it makes 'em taste nasty! :shock:

Phantom
10-28-2014, 11:03 PM

It didn't help.

:lolup:

:wrong:

bigbird
10-28-2014, 11:04 PM

It didn't help.

You're supposed to spray them with silicone, not penetrating oil.
Sheesh!

mechnic13
10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Had the same issue with the mounting hardware/wellnuts . Learned to not keep them so tight and they work fine unless it gets really cold , then its a battle to remove them .

Ixol Phaane
10-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Had the same issue with the mounting hardware/wellnuts . Learned to not keep them so tight and they work fine unless it gets really cold , then its a battle to remove them .

I considered that maybe they didn't need to be so tight... but I don't know where the line is between tight enough and too tight. So I decided it was probably just wiser to leave the top half at home since I rarely use it day to day.

Ixol Phaane
10-29-2014, 01:00 PM
You're supposed to spray them with silicone, not penetrating oil.
Sheesh!

:lolup: BIgbird said "penetrating" :crackup:

bigbird
10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
:lolup: BIgbird said "penetrating" :crackup:

:bendover: Is that why they call it penetrating oil?

Ixol Phaane
10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
:bendover: Is that why they call it penetrating oil?

:wrong:

Probably won't ever look at bananas the same way again. :shock:

FF-Ed
10-29-2014, 10:15 PM
does it work on Dee's nuts? :icon_lol:

bigbird
11-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Just to update, I winterized my bike today. It was a sad event. In addition to the oil, filter, final drive oil, and battery removal, I also took the upper part of the Baggershield off, and then liberally spayed my nuts with silicone spray. They were shiny and wet afterwards.
Oh yeah, I also removed the Baggershield wellnuts and screws and attended to them as well.
In case anyone asked or cared.

This is me for the next 5 months: ;snowshoveling;

Navvet
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Just to update, I winterized my bike today. It was a sad event. In addition to the oil, filter, final drive oil, and battery removal, I also took the upper part of the Baggershield off, and then liberally spayed my nuts with silicone spray. They were shiny and wet afterwards.
Oh yeah, I also removed the Baggershield wellnuts and screws and attended to them as well.
In case anyone asked or cared.

This is me for the next 5 months: ;snowshoveling;

I feel your pain, last winter I had 5 weeks that I could not ride at least 1 day ......