PDA

View Full Version : Visibility - head light black-out area

coffee_weasle
11-01-2014, 04:17 PM
on his maiden trip with a new black 2014 goldwing, my riding buddy is behind me an eighth mile,
i could NOT see his low beams.

i was used to his 2010 goldwing (with chrome accents inside of the lense covers, that surround the head lights).
i never had a problem seeing him behind me.

at the next stop sign i ask him to turn on his high-beams......major difference, incredibly visible.

at the next stop (for coffee, which i avoided paying for, lol), we decide to trade leader/follower.

he tells me exactly the same thing about my lights, .... poor visibility on low-beam, excellent on high-beam

just thought i would pass that along (i had been thinking about Hambly being pulled out in front of last month)

i now ride with high-beams 100% of the time

9471 9472

GNW
11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Interesting.
I will have to check that out.
Don't ride much at night, but need to know.

coffee_weasle
11-01-2014, 04:58 PM
this was during daylight hours, sorry, i should have said that

hiflyer
11-01-2014, 05:01 PM
this was during daylight hours, sorry, i should have said that

Crank em up. They are adjustable.

53driver
11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I need to find that adjustment, at least for the right lens. I was noticing a lack of long range vision for deer on the right side.

Limoles
11-01-2014, 05:58 PM
I need to find that adjustment, at least for the right lens. I was noticing a lack of long range vision for deer on the right side.

For dears you need a rifle :-)))

JackB
11-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I always ride with my brights on during the day.

BubbaJePH
11-01-2014, 06:05 PM
I have the Kisan Headlight modulator. Daytime it is flashing. I run it 100% of the time during the day. It had saved me more than once. I figure that the last election proved a point. 51% + of the population were dumb enough to vote they way they did. They must be too stupid to drive but do anyway.

53driver
11-01-2014, 06:20 PM
I have the Kisan Headlight modulator. Daytime it is flashing. I run it 100% of the time during the day. It had saved me more than once. I figure that the last election proved a point. 51% + of the population were dumb enough to vote they way they did. They must be too stupid to drive but do anyway.

I think you just justified my running high beams all the time.
Thank you.

53driver
11-01-2014, 06:43 PM
For dears you need a rifle :-)))

A rifle for deer. "Dears" need 'special' handling.....lol

vstar09
11-01-2014, 06:52 PM
High beams allways in the daytime......I even get cars flashing there lites at me in the daytime....They must see me...!

srt8-in-largo
11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I *think* the GL1800 lights are typically adjusted low from the factory in order to compensate for two-up riding with luggage.

I adjusted mine up a couple of inches and I'm pleased enough that I've forgotten about headlight mods. The F6B has a tool-less headlight adjustment... just reach up under the front of the fairing and search for a thumb-wheel. Spin it until your lights are properly adjusted.

DaWadd
11-02-2014, 07:28 AM
Yup, I turned the knobs about 10 clicks and it made a huge difference.

tinkerman
11-02-2014, 11:19 AM
High beams allways in the daytime......I even get cars flashing there lites at me in the daytime....They must see me...!

Same here....I seem to irritate a small percentage of cage operators using my highbeams on all day....or at least they are flicking their lights to let me know mine are on High Beam. Now that I have installed the 960's I may shut the high beams down....not decided on that yet. I do want to do some night riding just to check out the different combinations of what I have shining u front.

tink

srt8-in-largo
11-02-2014, 12:20 PM
I understand the need to be seen, but, c'mon... high beams all the time?

Unnecessary and inconsiderate IMO; I sure as heck don't like being blinded by brights so I don't do it to others.

tinkerman
11-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Well I see your point. I just never thought that HB's would be that overpowering during daylight hours.....more noticeable yes....but not an eye smoking irritating. Course I never stopped to walk out a couple hundred feet in front of the F6B while idling with the HB's on and assess how bright they were either. Will do that next chance I get.

In the mean time, I maintain anything I can do to minimise the chance of some cage pulling out in my lane and smoking me is good for me and good for the other fellows insurance company.

tink

VP8
11-02-2014, 01:04 PM
I had to adjust my headlights up as well. One knob is for horizontal adjustment, and the other knob is for vertical adjustment...I just don't remember which knob is the vertical.

bigbird
11-02-2014, 04:50 PM
One knob is for horizontal adjustment, and the other knob is for vertical adjustment...I just don't remember which knob is the vertical.

The way I read the manual, one knob is for the left low beam, the other for the right low beam. Vertical adjustment is the only choice.
One of us is wrong.

imported_PA_F6Ber
11-02-2014, 06:24 PM
When I first got my F6B my two riding buddies told me that they had a hard time seeing me in the daylight with just my low beams on. After this I normally ride with the high beams on during daylight riding (and yes I sometimes get on coming cars flashing me that I have my high beams on) but I know that they see me and I don't care (:>). I might try the 10 click adjustment before I ride with them the next time.

Carl

DMAGOLDRDR
11-02-2014, 07:45 PM
I had to adjust my headlights up as well. One knob is for horizontal adjustment, and the other knob is for vertical adjustment...I just don't remember which knob is the vertical.

Each knob is for each headlights vertical adjustment, I don't believe there is any horizontal adjustment..

srt8-in-largo
11-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Well I see your point. I just never thought that HB's would be that overpowering during daylight hours.....more noticeable yes....but not an eye smoking irritating. Course I never stopped to walk out a couple hundred feet in front of the F6B while idling with the HB's on and assess how bright they were either. Will do that next chance I get.

In the mean time, I maintain anything I can do to minimise the chance of some cage pulling out in my lane and smoking me is good for me and good for the other fellows insurance company.

tink

Ultimately you're probably right... I'm just irked by what seems like a multitude of idjets in my area with badly aimed lighting.

tinkerman
11-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Ultimately you're probably right... I'm just irked by what seems like a multitude of idjets in my area with badly aimed lighting.

I hear you man....and I appreciate the heads up....I am half way across the country from the F6B now but will give it a stare down test with the High Beams on when I get near it again. I want to be seen but not at the cost of hindering oncoming traffic or even just being a nuisance. Just getting used to the bike....spectacular beast that it is....and am wondering now if I have underestimated the intensity of the lights.

Will check it out at the first chance and thank you for the heads up.

tink

DMAGOLDRDR
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM

tink

My thoughts on running High Beam all the time,,,
First, although you can be see initially, I feel it makes it harder for on coming traffic to judge your distance and rate of speed which brings on it's own set of problems. Also it makes it very difficult for on coming traffic to see your turn signals.
In every test I have read re: being seen, it is the position of the lights and not the brightness that makes it safer for us. BMW had done extensive testing years ago and found A triangle effect of lights will be your best defense at having on coming traffic judge distance and rate of closure, which to me is just as important.
The Wing, F6B and my Valk Interstate have high Headlights and a low wide mounted set of Fog Lights which was great for the triangle effect. Also look at many BMWs and their extra light placement.
Sooo get your lights adjusted properly and add driving lights
Again,,,, just my opinion

DaWadd
11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
If you want to see the triangle effects try looking at the headlights of an oncoming locomotive and that will give you the idea. Worked at the railway for 38 years and they are very visible.:stirthepot:

tinkerman
11-03-2014, 03:55 PM
My thoughts on running High Beam all the time,,,
First, although you can be see initially, I feel it makes it harder for on coming traffic to judge your distance and rate of speed which brings on it's own set of problems. Also it makes it very difficult for on coming traffic to see your turn signals.
In every test I have read re: being seen, it is the position of the lights and not the brightness that makes it safer for us. BMW had done extensive testing years ago and found A triangle effect of lights will be your best defense at having on coming traffic judge distance and rate of closure, which to me is just as important.
The Wing, F6B and my Valk Interstate have high Headlights and a low wide mounted set of Fog Lights which was great for the triangle effect. Also look at many BMWs and their extra light placement.
Sooo get your lights adjusted properly and add driving lights
Again,,,, just my opinion

Good Info as well.... have the 960's mounted now but haven't really had a chance to look at the diff they might make....on the list of things to do....but life gets in the way....will have to wait until I get some shop/riding time in another week or so.

tink

Steve 0080
11-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Not sure I am reading this right... but here in the Blue Hair state...you better have everything on you can on the front and the rear of your scoot.... these folks will try to kill you!!!! I run with EVERYTHING on in the day time, as others on this board. If a cager told me that my lights were blinding them in the day light hours, I would fall over laughing !!!!! :jerkit:

srt8-in-largo
11-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Each of our headlight assemblies (left and right) should have two adjustments... one for vertical and one for horizontal.

Are some bikes different than this?

I hear you man....and I appreciate the heads up....I am half way across the country from the F6B now but will give it a stare down test with the High Beams on when I get near it again. I want to be seen but not at the cost of hindering oncoming traffic or even just being a nuisance. Just getting used to the bike....spectacular beast that it is....and am wondering now if I have underestimated the intensity of the lights.

Will check it out at the first chance and thank you for the heads up.

tink

:yes:

vstar09
11-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Where in the front is this magic knob...?

Steve 0080
11-03-2014, 09:34 PM
There is ONLY one adjustment... for verticle....turn your bars either way to full lock and look towards the back of the head lights,,, the adjustment knob is there....

srt8-in-largo
11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
This picture is a little hard to follow... but one knob is behind the low beams and the other is behind the high beams. These adjustments move the entire headlight housing... so both low and high beams move together; you can't adjust lows independently of highs.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X32KB6Bhsz0/VFg76mLA5eI/AAAAAAAACQo/P7vDZcio0Yk/s800/headlightaim.jpg

Steve 0080
11-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Now this is on a F6 ?

53driver
11-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Now this is on a F6 ?

The service manual doesn't differentiate in this case.

srt8-in-largo
11-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh wait... arghhh... I may be confused... ummm, scratch what I posted above. Sorry!

srt8-in-largo
11-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Wait again... unscratch my scratch :icon_biggrin:

I couldn't find that picture a minute ago and got confused... it's on page 3-23 of the GL1800B service manual... and yes, this is for the F6. My bike has a thumbwheel for the vertical adjustment and a phillips screw for horizontal.

Where are you guys getting the idea that the F6 is vertical ONLY?

Steve 0080
11-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Read the same thing, 3-23 in my Honda Manual, no mention of the H word.... not positive this is for the F6.... show me the screw!!!!

It says the GL1800 not the GL1800/B

Don't get me wrong here... I am not playing, " who has the bigger penis "... I hope your right.....need to go look!

bigbird
11-03-2014, 11:29 PM
The 'B has the easily accessed thumbwheel for vertical adjustment "on the fly".
And with all the female 'B owners on here, you may want to stroke off the penis, and replace it with "genitalia". (pun intended, as usual).

srt8-in-largo
11-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Lol!

Well you'll have to look from the front of the bike, not through the handlebar tunnel. Shine a flashlight in there and you'll see it. Go look and you tell me what that's for.

Don't make me go out there and turn the screw to see if it actually works :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
11-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Well, I looked and not sure what I am looking at or for...don't need to adust it so I will be moving along.....:039:

FF-Ed
11-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Before I sold my Suzuki Boulevard, I read on a forum that a lot of guys ran brights during the day for safety.

The low beam on my Suzuki really sucked so,... I started doing this...

I haven't done it since buying the F6B but I'm considering doing this with the F6B also.

I know the Brights on the F6B are Super Bright, so it couldn't hurt...

Fla_rider
11-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Confirmed Highs on during daylight, can't see da Low beams during the day! :yikes:

flyboy
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM

+ 1

Navvet
11-06-2014, 08:37 AM
High beams on durring daytime, also added a double row of extrabright white LED's under the Hi/Lo beams. Extra visibility durring the day and lights up the sides of the road at night.

grendl
11-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Why I LOVE this forum !
As often as I have washed,waxed and cleaned this bike I thought I had touched all of it. Just went to the garage ,didnt see any knobs. Took a flashlight and looked in the tunnels and there they are ! :shock:
One on each side,White thumb screws to make the adjustment.Easy to reach !
I'll do it later but Thanx Guys, I have found something new(along with a coupla spots I haven't wiped down)