PDA

View Full Version : Does the Wing under-deliver?

motoman
11-02-2014, 11:35 PM
From Goldwing Docs:

I've heard this grumbling more than a few times over the past few years. Goldwing owners, paying as much as $30,000 - a premium price, for a premium product, to purchase the flagship of Honda's motorcycle offerings, only to look at other bikes with far more advanced technology and features. Some of these bikes are sold for far less, and some are being sold by Honda! So what gives?
I mentioned this myself when I did a review on the Cleveland Motorcycle Showlast February. It seemed like there were competitors to the mighty Goldwing popping up left and right, and all of them were bristling with the newest technology: Bluetooth, MP3 music capability, advanced ABS, electrically adjustable windshields, on-the-fly adjustable suspension, advanced HID and adaptive LED lighting, adjustable handlebars, throttle-by-wire, handlebar-mounted system controls, the list goes on and on. All of these things were featured on competitors bikes as well as some other Honda motorcycles, yet not a single one of them is available on the GL1800.

Honda has done very little to the GL1800 for quite a few years now - apart from creating derivatives of the platform (F6B, Valkyrie), the extent of the changes made to the Goldwing have been mostly minor styling and new paint colors. Great things were expected however for the 2015 model year of Honda's flagship, as it is the 40th anniversary for the Goldwing. Rumors abounded: a complete redesign, new engine, new cockpit, advanced technology. Honda, secretive and tight-lipped as ever, offered no clues. So when they finally released the details of the much-vaunted 40th Anniversary Goldwing, it was a bit tough to be anything but underwhelmed: A new paint scheme, a "40th Anniversary" badge, and a special key. That's it.

That said, the GL1800 obviously does have quite a bit going for it, and at the top of the list is the legendary Honda reliability. There are people riding Goldwings of every type as daily drivers with literally hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Most of the new competitors haven't been around long enough to have racked up that kind of mileage.

The grumbling has grown a bit louder, and I have heard from several people who simply refuse to spend $30,000 on a new Goldwing based on, essentially, 1990's technology. Instead of moving from their older Goldwing to a newer Goldwing, they're moving to other bikes entirely. Unlike the situation 20 years ago, where there were no real competitors to the Goldwing, today there are quite a few alternatives, and some of them are excellent bikes.

bobbyf6b
11-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Unlike the situation 20 years ago, where there were no real competitors to the Goldwing, today there are quite a few alternatives, and some of them are excellent bikes.

Notice there's none listed. There are other bikes with some advanced technology items, but there's no other bike that compares all around. IMHO

BBB
11-03-2014, 12:11 AM
Notice there's none listed. There are other bikes with some advanced technology items, but there's no other bike that compares all around. IMHO

+1.

That's exactly why I bought the F6B,
A bad ass looking bike that keeps running forever! :)

fxdl2051
11-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Like what for instance? Only the Yam fjr 1300 came close on my spec sheet, but just didn't have the comfort of the f6.

Jimmytee
11-03-2014, 05:39 AM
The BMW 1600 was in my cross hairs for a moment, but price and styling just didn't appeal to me. I also seem to recall some clunky issues with the " high tech" handlebar contols/ electronics.

JackB
11-03-2014, 07:10 AM
I had a 06 ST1300 before I bought my F6B. And it was a little more advance then the Wing but behind the other sport tour bikes. The wing should be updated. I loved the adjustable windshield it's the best thing you can put on a motorcycle. It also told you the MPG. Which is nice. Honda should offer anti-lock brakes for those who want them.
But once you get on the F6B and that flat six moves you down the road you forget what's missing and just enjoy the ride. Adjustable W.S would still be nice. :yes:

Steve 0080
11-03-2014, 08:33 AM
same ole complaining by the GW crowd...I want a 2500cc motor and a 6th speed, I want to move super sonic and be stealth never once realizing what they do have is pretty nice...I'll take bomb proof over super sonic any day...

Exbmwrider
11-03-2014, 10:15 AM
No.

XKnight
11-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I would never spend $30K on a Wing, but was quite happy to spend about half that on my new F6B. I think it actually overdelivers. .batman-smilie.

There is nothing that can touch it at the $14K-16K price point which is around what many folks paid for a new leftover 2013 F6B. I really don't think you can lump the F6B in with the other Wings because of its features, or lack thereof, and it's price point.

Jimmytee
11-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I would never spend $30K on a Wing, but was quite happy to spend about half that on my new F6B. I think it actually overdelivers. .batman-smilie.

There is nothing that can touch it at the $14K-16K price point which is around what many folks paid for a new leftover 2013 F6B. I really don't think you can lump the F6B in with the other Wings because of its features, or lack thereof, and it's price point.

I got to say I agree wholeheartedly. Paid 15.6 k for my new 2013. Some are getting even betyer prices now. Comparing what you can get in this price range, well not much of a comparison. IMHO

Injun Joe
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM

I can see the point of the article but it doesn't pertain to our F6B to a large extent. Full Wings maybe, but even then, I hear that those space ship BMWs tend to have a lot of little glitches that would make me nervous.

edgeman55
11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
I can see the point of the article but it doesn't pertain to our F6B to a large extent. Full Wings maybe, but even then, I hear that those space ship BMWs tend to have a lot of little glitches that would make me nervous.

+1 I bought the F6B because of the extra comfort on the bike because I feel cramped on a full Wing and I do not want all extras on a full dress wing I will not use.My F6B is just about as close to perfect for me that a bike can get.

Injun Joe
11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
It does cause me to wonder if there's any reason to buy a brand new Goldwing with so many pristine used ones readily available.

srt8-in-largo
11-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Under deliver? No way. Could it use a refresh? Yes... but what couldn't after more than 10 years.

Frankly, the lineage and LOOOOONG span of design consistency is what attracted me to the GL1800. Motorcycling is incredibly dangerous and the last thing we need is an unknown failure of the bike mechanicals.

Guess what happens when you keep a design in production for as long as the GL1800 has been? Unknown failure modes become known and they get fixed. This is a plus, not a minus, and is an advantage that an all-new fresh-to-market motorcycle doesn't have.

shooter
11-03-2014, 10:25 PM
There isn't another bike on the planet that you can throw two people and a bunch of gear on that will take you down the road like a wing. Period. There is no competition. As far as no updates? The rest of the MC world is still trying to catch up to the last update. There still isn't an answer for the Flat Six. Go buy a $30,000 Harley with the 110 motor and Screamin Chicken and stage whatever and it still won't run with a stock Wing. The bike is Timeless.

RonRider
11-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Out here in So Cal up on Angeles Crest Hwy there's a restaurant called Newcomb's Ranch that had it's 75th Anniversary back in August. It has long been known as a hangout for riders of all kinds of bikes.
This one particular event attracted so much attention it was hard to get close to the place. There were a few celebrities like Jay Leno walking around. Out of hundreds of bikes there were only two of us on F6B's. Both black, I might add..batman-smilie. It would have made you all proud to see the attention the two bikes got. A constant crowd surrounding us asking questions. Even proud Harley riders with their Harley duds on would come up to us individually away from the bikes, when their friends weren't looking and ask, hey man, how does it handle? Is that an 1800? I'll bet that sucker really moves huh? A good day!

Deer Slayer
11-04-2014, 08:30 AM
The F6B is a motorcycle. A Goldwing is a car with two wheels with a stuffed furry critter. :poke::cheers:

Hornblower
11-04-2014, 10:14 AM
The F6B is a motorcycle. A Goldwing is a car with two wheels with a stuffed furry critter. :poke::cheers:

You mean like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SESAME-STREET-APPLAUSE-VALENTINE-CUPID-ARROW-GOLD-WING-PLUSH-STUFFED-ANIMAL-/370909916974

Deer Slayer
11-04-2014, 08:07 PM
You mean like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SESAME-STREET-APPLAUSE-VALENTINE-CUPID-ARROW-GOLD-WING-PLUSH-STUFFED-ANIMAL-/370909916974

Yup!

grendl
11-08-2014, 12:06 PM
IMO the F6B overdelivers !
For me personally less is best.
I dont want a lot of 'gizmos' that have the potential to fail and me with out a clue on whats wrong. On my way to Wisconsin last year I pulled over to offer a hand to a couple bikes on the side of the road. The problem bike was a BMW. The rider had already called for help and they didnt need me.
What struck me was when I asked what was wrong ,he responded "something got wet.
WHAT !! A touring bike that stopped because it got WET ?!
Now that was probably a one off I know BMWs will run in the rain but it made my point. Dont want a lot of stuff that fails even thought there is nothing really wrong with the vehicle.
HD -really? no comparison. If one likes them thats fine with me no fight, but compared to my F6B?
I did look at the FJR and the Concours. I have an 86 Concours in my garage that just stopped being dependable last year. 27 years old is a good run with no majors issues till now so it has my recommendation. Remember how long the Connies went with no changes ?
Same with the Wings.
Why add a lot of failure points to something that works -and IMHO the design of the gold wing F6B works wonderfully well...
Overall, nothing compares.....

tinkerman
11-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Yep....I am getting right along side of being an old codger. So my expectations may be tainted by my age....on the other hand I may have seen enough BS to allow me to make more complete and qualified judgements.

After running bikes both recreationally and as my only means of transport for close to 40 years, I have never ridden anything that comes close to this F6B derivative of the Goldwing. The old Valks caught my eye a few years ago when they first came out and I thought they would likely be a good platform and from what I hear they are....but this F6B is pure magic for me.

Not sure what to say about the full fledged wing....I mean perhaps for those folk who like to have all the bells and whistles along for the ride, it might be getting a little dated....but as one of the biggest platforms in regular production, I can't see anything beating it for reliability, comfort, power and brakes and that would be my units of measure. Change for the sake of change has become a terrible fixation in our society...in my view if it aint broke don't fix it.

Still working at getting used to the "plasticy" construction of the F6B but willing to forgo all my "old codger" notions of tubular frames, and bottomless paintwork and real chrome to fly in the wind on this thing.

tink

hiflyer
11-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Well said grendl. My thoughts exactly. I don't want a bunch of touch screen stuff, etc. I like mine for what it is, but mostly for what it's not. The choice was mine, and the F6 was my choice.

Felloverboard
11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
It sounds to me like you need help when you shop for bikes ??? A 2013 Level 1 new at one dealer in TN is $18,800 and they have zero extra cost other than you paying the Tax-Title -Tag yourself when you get back home. I paid about 15k for a 2013 F6B New with no cost in MS and got $1000 in free options plus an extra free 12 months warranty and drove back to FL with it. By the way.... this bike is a ROCKET.............. I don't have time to adjust the windshield, My taller one vented was one of the free options.
I drove it back to Fl in one day >> 700 miles << very comfortable ride.

Johncmendenhall
11-08-2014, 09:45 PM
NO.

erazor55
11-08-2014, 09:55 PM
No. I've had many bikes since 73. I turned 18 in 73 and could buy/ride bikes much to my parent's dismay since then. The most enjoyable motorcycle in those years (before the F6B) was a 96 Katana. I've had standards, touring models, cruiser models. This bike fits the mold better than any. It's extremely comfortable, fast, can handle with the best of them, get's decent MPG/power and reported durability that I'll die before I can prove.

Likely the last bike I'll ever own.

Love it.

Old Ryder
11-08-2014, 10:50 PM
When I first saw the F6B, it had a $21,000 tag--and while I loved the bike, there was just no way. (Not knocking the guys who paid that) I go to pick up my left over 13 on Wednesday and this is the perfect bike for what I want at $14,449 all expenses including tags, taxes, etc.... out the door. To me it is well priced for what you get and what I want. THE TRUE DEAL OF THE YEAR!!!!

I looked at FJRs and they have a cult following and there are great deals to be had, but like wings, those guys ride miles and miles. If the wife never rode with me, I could own that. With me and her close to 60 and not "small people", a 200 mile trip was not going to leave her happy.

NOW FOR THE GL models.................I am really not qualified to speak to that as I had an Ultra Classic and I am past throwing my right leg 8 feet in the air to clear a trunk, chrome and so many buttons that my grandkids eyes light up just walking thru the garage. I see what the OP is saying and I will only say this. When looking for the F6B, I had to surf thru wings of all shapes, sizes and years and the prices of a 7 year old GL 1800 with 85,000 miles is re-dic-u-las! Somebody must like um. But as I said in the first sentence, I am not the guy to spend five figures WITH A CROOKED NUMBER ON THE LEFT on a recreation vehicle. That is a high price for fun. JMHO

Big Dawg
11-08-2014, 11:38 PM
I bought the wing for long rides, I'm not talking about 50 miles, I mean 500 mile or greater days of riding. I have other bikes that I use for other reasons but whien I want to ride coast to coast or to the mountains and back in a day, Nothing esle compares to the Goldwing.

If I want to ride the twisties with my boys on their sport bikes, I ride the Concours or the Ninja 1000. If I want to run to the grocery store, I will ride the PCX

Have said all of that, No one can tell you if the Wing or any other bike is the correct choice for you. In my case I am blessed so that I can have different bikes for different jobs.

In my opinion, the Kawasaki Concours is the most fun to ride and it is fast as hell.

valkmc
11-09-2014, 04:04 PM
I bought the wing for long rides, I'm not talking about 50 miles, I mean 500 mile or greater days of riding. I have other bikes that I use for other reasons but whien I want to ride coast to coast or to the mountains and back in a day, Nothing esle compares to the Goldwing.

If I want to ride the twisties with my boys on their sport bikes, I ride the Concours or the Ninja 1000. If I want to run to the grocery store, I will ride the PCX

Have said all of that, No one can tell you if the Wing or any other bike is the correct choice for you. In my case I am blessed so that I can have different bikes for different jobs.

In my opinion, the Kawasaki Concours is the most fun to ride and it is fast as hell.

Well said and you are correct the C14 is a hell of a motorcycle. I would add if you are touring long distance TWO UP and the wife has a lot of junk the wing is the bike.

motoman
11-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I would add if you are touring long distance TWO UP and the wife has a lot of junk the wing is the bike.

She can just put her junk in the trunk!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

bigbird
11-09-2014, 07:33 PM
if the wife has a lot of junk the wing is the bike.

A guy would be proud to have a "lot of junk".
A woman, not so much.

valkmc
11-09-2014, 08:12 PM
She can just put her junk in the trunk!

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

LOL, My wife and I rode from Florida to Vegas last summer and she needed clothes for riding, clothes for hiking in Colorado and Utah, and going out clothes for Vegas. Of course a hair dryer and curling iron and make up bag were also needed. Dont even ask about shoes!!!! I pulled the tag along, just made packing easier.

Big Dawg
11-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Well said and you are correct the C14 is a hell of a motorcycle. I would add if you are touring long distance TWO UP and the wife has a lot of junk the wing is the bike.

Yes sir! When the bride goes, we pull the Bushtec trailer. If I could figure out how to pull two of them in tandum, she would even be happier!

DJL951
11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
I totally understand some people don't want all the new technology, but, what I think the original poster was implying is that the GW with it's outdated (but reliable) technology should not command the exorbitant price tag that a more technologically advanced bike would bring. Why isn't the GW priced more in line with the F6B? It doesn't doesn't seem to be $10-$15k better equipped than the F6B. I think if the GW's MSRP was in the $22-$23K (and sold for $19-$20k) range it would make more sense when compared to the F6B.