PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle trip to Alaska?

NCF6B
11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Has anyone made the motorcycle or RV trip from the eastern US to Alaska around & back. Very interested in details, suggestions, resources and any other info you may be able to provide. Wife and I are interested in making the trip but a little overwhelmed by the scope of it all! Thanks

53driver
11-03-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to coordinate one with my friend in Vancouver BC for summer 2015.

NCF6B
11-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks, would you be leaving from Pa? What time of year are you looking at? You may want to check out the website alaskarvtrips.com .They have some great stuff.

Injun Joe
11-03-2014, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't leave anytime soon, but that's just me. :icon_cool:

Ridlikhel
11-03-2014, 09:16 PM
I would suggest you take a right at Glacier Park in MT. Go to Banff then take your run along the Trans Canadian 1 to see some N. Americas best views of the Rockies, while heading toward Vancouver..... Was lucky to have made that trip in 1979 on my first bike, a 79 Honda CX 500. 8300 miles in 30 days and three stops to backpack into the Nat. parks......Youth has its advantages.

leroysch
11-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Did it in the early '90's. If it's still published, get hold of a copy of "The Milepost". Literally, provides a description, by milepost, of what's along all the major highways up there.

53driver
11-03-2014, 09:37 PM
I would suggest you take a right at Glacier Park in MT. Go to Banff then take your run along the Trans Canadian 1 to see some N. Americas best views of the Rockies, while heading toward Vancouver..... Was lucky to have made that trip in 1979 on my first bike, a 79 Honda CX 500. 8300 miles in 30 days and three stops to backpack into the Nat. parks......Youth has its advantages.

Did this on my first cross country run in 2010. Glacier National Park's "Highway to the Sun" had just opened that day (Late June!). Went up and then across the border. Awesome country.

Andy just went to the Arctic Circle this past June. Took his Wing from Vancouver to "near" the circle and then rented a dual sport for the last 80 miles.

Need to run it on the F6B, except the last 80 miles on gravel.
Cheers,
Steve

fxdl2051
11-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Has anyone made the motorcycle or RV trip from the eastern US to Alaska around & back. Very interested in details, suggestions, resources and any other info you may be able to provide. Wife and I are interested in making the trip but a little overwhelmed by the scope of it all! Thanks
My work bud did the CanAm from WA, near up to the Artic Circle, he said the mud was baked on his bike and he could never get it cleaned properly after that trip. He did have lots of cold grey rainy mud shots of the trip though.

NCF6B
11-04-2014, 07:44 AM
thanks, some great suggestions! My biggest concern is the pure physical endurance needed to complete this type of camping trip. Reading a lot about roads and facilities. Not exactly your "lower 48". Wife says if we don't make this trip soon probablywon't make it at all. We both really shun the typical cruise ship/railroad pre-fab tours. May make it easier but all you see is what everyone else has seen! I've run 5 Marathons and this is beginning to feel very much like the same thing. Our son said "hey dad, if it was easy everyone would do it"! Keep you posted on our plans.

fxdl2051
11-05-2014, 01:42 AM
thanks, some great suggestions! My biggest concern is the pure physical endurance needed to complete this type of camping trip. Reading a lot about roads and facilities. Not exactly your "lower 48". Wife says if we don't make this trip soon probablywon't make it at all. We both really shun the typical cruise ship/railroad pre-fab tours. May make it easier but all you see is what everyone else has seen! I've run 5 Marathons and this is beginning to feel very much like the same thing. Our son said "hey dad, if it was easy everyone would do it"! Keep you posted on our plans.
Car sized pot holes, bud said they keep you alert, gravel roads and long distances between gas ups in places and the mosquitoes of course.

movinpaul
11-07-2014, 04:05 PM

Check out the Avrider.com and the ST1300.com web sites. Plenty of them have done that trip and written about it

wishey1
11-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Me and a friend rode to Alaska from Arkansas in '07, me on a 1200gs him on a F650...

Across Oklahoma up into Co. thru back roads, Royal Gorge, Yellowstone, Tetons,
Glacier National Park, Calgary, Baniff, toward Jasper to Prince George then up the
Cassare road... Thru the Yukon on into Tok...piece of pie...great adventure...

valkmc
11-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Go for it, I did it in 2011 on a 2010 C14-Ocala Florida to Alaska and back, slighly over 11,000 miles. Highlights for me included Beartooth Pass, Ice field parkway, Yellowstone and you can't go wrong anywhere you go in Alaska. Came back down the Pacific Coast and checked out Yosemite, Death Valley and Vegas. My advice is don't make any resevations unless there is some place in Alaska you don't want to miss. Don't carry extra gas, it's a hassle and I never came close to needing it. Ride every day until 2 ish and then decide how far you are going and use the internet to find a place to stay. I camped and stayed in hotels. Met tons of people and shared many interesting evenings swaping stories with others on the same trip. There are great campsites for RV's on the Alcan and they will let you throw up a tent for very little. Don't hurry lots of picture opportunities, wildlife etc. to see. Best trip of my life and I have been riding since 1976. Good Luck Almost forgot, get a copy of the current year "Milepost" and dont believe the stories about road condition. I only hit one bad spot where there was contruction, no huge pot holes or anything like that.

wantone
03-30-2015, 10:41 PM
You should google Rick's Alaska Motorcycle trip. There's 7 videos. Once you start watching Video 1 I bet you will not stop till you watch all 7. Very interesting and you will love it.