PDA

View Full Version : Alaska F6B riders

AlaskaF6B
06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I was just wandering how many other F6B riders there are in the Great White North

Memphian
06-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I was just wandering how many other F6B riders there are in the Great White North

I think you may be the first.

:create.php:

Alberta Beagle
06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

I thought Canada was the Great White North and Alaska was the Last Frontier?

In any case Welcome to the Forum!!!!! :create.php:

Beagle

Bike44
07-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I've made an offer to my Dealer in Fairbanks for one. Changing from H-D back to another Honda...owned a GW and many others in the last 53 years of riding. No reply yet.

The plan is to tour Canada either this Fall, or next summer. Better on a F6B.

Good news. Dealer called today and accepted my trade for F6B offer. Now to contact Honda next week and see if they can get one shipped to Alaska B4 winter.

MichaelG
07-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Good news. Dealer called today and accepted my trade for F6B offer. Now to contact Honda next week and see if they can get one shipped to Alaska B4 winter.

Why not do a Fly n' Ride? Have your dealer make contact with his distributor in the lower states...pick the bike up down here...and ride it back home.

Why wait for it to be shipped up to Alaska ? With all those 53 years of riding, you are more than capable of riding the bike from Washington State up to Alaska. Most likely that is where it will be shipped from...Washington State.

If that does not work for you...then I will offer to pick the bike up in Washington State, where I live, and deliver it to you in Alaska. I have ridden around AK many times on bikes.

bobbyf6b
07-20-2013, 06:01 PM
One of my dreams is to ride to Alaska someday. Is it paved all the way yet?

Bike44
07-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Why not do a Fly n' Ride? Have your dealer make contact with his distributor in the lower states...pick the bike up down here...and ride it back home.

Why wait for it to be shipped up to Alaska ? With all those 53 years of riding, you are more than capable of riding the bike from Washington State up to Alaska. Most likely that is where it will be shipped from...Washington State.

If that does not work for you...then I will offer to pick the bike up in Washington State, where I live, and deliver it to you in Alaska. I have ridden around AK many times on bikes.

Hello Miles, and thank you for the kind offer. Good to be here and meet and greet. The same local dealer that sells H-D's sells Hondas, so it's got to stay an in-house deal on the trade/sale. Plus I expect they want to do the setup and ride some to see how they differ from the regular GW's. As far as I know, there's none in this part of AK yet. None have been sold locally.

You're right about the ride up, great fun, fantastic country...unfortunately for me my new passport hasn't arrived yet (misplaced it or dog ate it, so no Canada travel), and who knows when with Sequester. Right now they'll check for availability next Tuesday, then we'll go from there. As you know there's many GW and BMW travelers up here during the summer. Personally I think BC is more scenic, but that's after 48 yrs in Alaska flying, boating, driving, and hiking about all over.

I owned a 2012 GW for a while, we really liked it, but found it too top heavy with the wife on at age 67 for me. Now with the lower CG F6B I'm looking forward to another Wing Ding.

MichaelG
07-20-2013, 08:23 PM
One of my dreams is to ride to Alaska someday. Is it paved all the way yet?

Sure, Bobby...it is paved all the way up to Alaska, just like it is 35 degrees in Phoenix right now.:icon_rolleyes:

bobbyf6b
07-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Sure, Bobby...it is paved all the way up to Alaska, just like it is 35 degrees in Phoenix right now.:icon_rolleyes:

:th_sunbathe:

erazor55
07-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Bike44 - you go on with your bad self! Trade that HD and live the awesome life of riding on the F6B. After the last 10 years on HD, it's nice to get back on motorcycle that handles, and has copious amounts of power.

Bike44
07-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Bike44 - you go on with your bad self! Trade that HD and live the awesome life of riding on the F6B. After the last 10 years on HD, it's nice to get back on motorcycle that handles, and has copious amounts of power.

I agreed beforehand, hence the 2012 FLSTN Softail Deluxe move for the F6B. It'll happen, just depends on if and when I can get a '13. If none available, then it's a '14. More this week.

I've had eight HD's out of the 43 scoots so far. They run and handle if enough $ is inserted in the right places...no complaints, and they're fun, especially when posing by reflective windows. Their resale is uncontested. I found that for me, the Softails were the the best all around performers of the HD's.

But you're exactly right, it'll be nice to have power again. I'm reading past posts on this fine Forum and waiting for the endless suspension threads to start...seems like the other Wing Forums all had their share of fear and loathing when it came to the Wing's handling. I'm not going down that road again, and will accept whatever it does and learn to live with it.

Some ??? above about the pavement to Alaska. I've not been down recently, but here's a comment: http://milepost.com/features/driving_the_alaska_highwayfaq/ Others who have driven it may have better updates.

AlaskaF6B
07-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Last time I came up the Alcan (1999), it was completely paved except for a couple places they were redoing the road.

MichaelG
07-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Last time I came up the Alcan (1999), it was completely paved except for a couple places they were redoing the road.

I rode to Akaska in 2003...again in 2004, and again this past year in 2012. Everytime, I go UP the Cassiar Hwy, and come back on the Alcan, and I have never found it to be paved all the way. There are long stretches that are hard-packed gravel...or under construction...for miles and miles...and miles.

Philbert40
07-21-2013, 01:31 AM
In the great WHITE north....you have 2 seasons, Winter and road construction season! That DEEP gravel is a real challenge to ride in.

Bike44
07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
My goal is to tour British Columbia next riding season on the F6B. A good friend and fellow HD Softail owner wants to go so we may do the Geezer Gang thing. Wife and dog disagree somewhat, but they'll have to cope.

The problem may be that we'll spend all our time slowly gabbing and gawking, like Seniors tend to do, instead of covering the miles in a few days. I have friends that make the Alaska to USA an annual two day event. I have no idea why, but getting somewhere is more important than enjoying the trip for some. Bluetooth coms or similar plus GoPro vids are in the plans.

The F6B will be a good ride if it works out. I considered taking my current Softail, but after making up a gear list, we realized someone would have to carry a big load as we plan to camp some. No room for lawn chairs on a Softail.

I've flown that route (Alaska and over BC) a few times, and the country is beautiful.

Bike44
07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
A recent report from visitors to Alaska that had a great time:

http://alaska1x.blogspot.com
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6109513950bcb22e6