PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side question

erazor55
11-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I just watched another video of a rear tire change. Getting ready to replace mine.

Any how, for years I've loved the feeling of a new tire after my old one had worn to a generally flat tread. So, I'm watching this guy replace his tire with a car tire, and I'm wondering how that square-ish tread must feel when leaning into a turn. I mean, I can tell when my tire is worn, because I have to coax it up onto that 'edge' from wear.

Can someone tell me how you dark siders do it?

stepbill
11-06-2014, 08:11 PM
I've been thinking about crossing over but still am not sure. 'popcorn and coke'

shooter
11-06-2014, 08:33 PM
There are several threads on the subject recently. Bob109 has some informative posts. Right tire and right air pressure and you will love it.

bob109
11-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Currently running a General G-Max 195/55-R16 with just shy of 23K miles of wear! No crash and burns as the critics would suggest. The tire corners as good as a MT. Finding the air pressure "sweet spot" is key to performance and handling!

Attaching several "Threads/Posts" for your reading enjoyment! Do all your research "up front" and you should have success in selecting the right tire for you! First hand experience is a must. If you don't like the feel/performance you can always return to a MT.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1601-10-000-Dark-Side-Miles

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?530-F6B-Dark-Side-Riders

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1360-F6B-Accumulated-Car-Tire-Mileage

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?23-Spare-Rear-Wheel

zeus661
11-06-2014, 09:20 PM
With over 50k miles on a car tire on my Valkyrie one thing I can tell you is the front tire makes a lot of difference in the feeling also. Having a good front tire can take away that feeling of a square back tire.

XKnight
11-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Currently running a General G-Max 195/55-R16 with just shy of 23K miles of wear! No crash and burns as the critics would suggest. The tire corners as good as a MT. Finding the air pressure "sweet spot" is key to performance and handling!

Not sure how that can be possible given the significant differences between the car tire and the MC tire. I have no doubt that the car tire works great for you and certainly runs for many more miles than a MC tire, but the handling is an area that will suffer with a car tire. Some may not feel or notice the difference, but to state that a car tires corners the same on a motorcycle is a bit of a stretch.

It doesn't matter to me what kind of tire anyone runs on their bike, but they need to understand that there are pros and cons involved.

erazor55
11-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the links bob!

bob109
11-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Not sure how that can be possible given the significant differences between the car tire and the MC tire. I have no doubt that the car tire works great for you and certainly runs for many more miles than a MC tire, but the handling is an area that will suffer with a car tire. Some may not feel or notice the difference, but to state that a car tires corners the same on a motorcycle is a bit of a stretch.

It doesn't matter to me what kind of tire anyone runs on their bike, but they need to understand that there are pros and cons involved.

What has been "your personal experience" with a CT on your motorcycle?

You mis-quoted me! I stated a CT corners "AS GOOD AS" a MT, not corners the "SAME AS":shhh:

scooter
11-06-2014, 10:00 PM

I will tell you how you can find out put one on an try it. You will be surprised at how it handles.

shooter
11-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Yeah and if you try it do as Bob says and find the right air pressure. Its like anything it needs to be customized to your taste.

jkelley
11-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Man o Man, I been there asked and read and read, and read. What I can tell you is unless you try it you wont get it and that's a fact.

I love it, but may not be for every body. I ride as hard when I want to as anyone I know. I have also seen first hand most (not all) of those that will tell you you will burst into flames for even considering such a horrid act are mainly those that have never tried it.

shooter
11-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I think some people think that when you come to the first corner the bike won't turn and you will wreck. Remember how people used to think the earth was flat? I ride as hard as anyone when I'm solo I have no problem dragging the mini boards. Riding two up my brother in laws always ask me to lead and set the pace. Course those Harleys are slow. I am sure that a CT is not for Moto GP but it is great on the B. Not saying you should try it. Just don't be afraid of the unknown.

bobbyf6b
11-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Corners and turns felt great to me on the CT, I need more time to get comfortable with the straight line handling of it. With all that tread on the ground you feel everything!

XKnight
11-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Here is a good article citing experts in the field regarding putting car tires on motorcycles. Like I said, I don't care what tire you run. I may eventually put a car tire on my F6B to save some money, but have no illusions that the bike will handle as good or the same. It will handle differently and most folks that have switched will admit that the bike felt different at first until they got use to it. Better or worse is all subjective. That being said, there is a reason why racing bikes don't run with car tires.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/

Steve 0080
11-07-2014, 11:48 AM
At the risk of being over the top.... how can ANYONE say they like or do't like something until they have had the experience... The opine did not start this to hear fire and brimstone but to here from like minded people.... It is a good thing most are not against BJ's w/o experiencing one yet....

XKnight
11-07-2014, 11:54 AM
At the risk of being over the top.... how can ANYONE say they like or do't like something until they have had the experience... The opine did not start this to hear fire and brimstone but to here from like minded people.... It is a good thing most are not against BJ's w/o experiencing one yet....

There are always at least two sides to any story and if the only opinions put forth were from those that have car tires on their motorcycles then the full story would not be told. An informed opinion requires hearing different sides. There are plenty of well researched articles on the subject and should be at least looked at before making a decision. As I said, I'm not for or against, just wanting all information to be represented.

bobbyf6b
11-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Worried about what a sidewall can handle?

http://youtu.be/Ii8d0F_Bd84

Steve 0080
11-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes Sir, there are three sides to every story.... again the opine was asking from people who tried it and liked it...

I would like to see this thread answered.... not not start another thread where everybody's gonna die....just sayin!

F6BPDX
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
There are always at least two sides to any story and if the only opinions put forth were from those that have car tires on their motorcycles then the full story would not be told. An informed opinion requires hearing different sides. There are plenty of well researched articles on the subject and should be at least looked at before making a decision. As I said, I'm not for or against, just wanting all information to be represented.

The true story (i.e both sides) can only be told by two subsets of people #1 - Folks who have tried it and liked it. #2 - Folks who have tried it and disliked it.

The problem with you (or me, for that matter), or most of the authors of the articles floating around, is that we have nothing to offer to the story as we have no first hand data. To come in and say "It won't be as good!" is foolish, it would also be equally foolish to say "It will be better!", without having tried it to know.

XKnight
11-07-2014, 05:37 PM
The true story (i.e both sides) can only be told by two subsets of people #1 - Folks who have tried it and liked it. #2 - Folks who have tried it and disliked it.

The problem with you (or me, for that matter), or most of the authors of the articles floating around, is that we have nothing to offer to the story as we have no first hand data. To come in and say "It won't be as good!" is foolish, it would also be equally foolish to say "It will be better!", without having tried it to know.

I don't need to get shot by a gun to know it's going to feel different than getting cut by a knife. I've spoken to a few people that have car tires on their bikes and all of them say it feels different than when they had a motorcycle tire on the bike. Whether its better or worse is obviously going to be up to the individual owner.

There is at least one thread floating around this forum where a guy has a car tire on his F6B and doesn't understand why the bike handles like crap. It works for some and not for others. That is my main point.

hiflyer
11-07-2014, 08:25 PM
I don't need to get shot by a gun to know it's going to feel different than getting cut by a knife. I've spoken to a few people that have car tires on their bikes and all of them say it feels different than when they had a motorcycle tire on the bike. Whether its better or worse is obviously going to be up to the individual owner.

There is at least one thread floating around this forum where a guy has a car tire on his F6B and doesn't understand why the bike handles like crap. It works for some and not for others. That is my main point.

I tried it, I like it, I'm going to keep doing it. My bike doesn't handle like crap. 52 years of riding and "x" number of bikes to compare it to.

Hornblower
11-07-2014, 08:37 PM
I tried it, I like it, I'm going to keep doing it. My bike doesn't handle like crap. 52 years of riding and "x" number of bikes to compare it to.

Ditto, Hiflyer!

shooter
11-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Ditto, Hiflyer!

DittoX2

hiflyer
11-09-2014, 10:35 PM
An observation, my front motorcycle tire loses more air between checks than my rear C/T.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 12:35 AM
So if I try a CT and it doesn't handle as well as a MT, will one of you guys saying that let me kick you in the nuts? :icon_biggrin:

bob109
11-10-2014, 11:04 AM
So if I try a CT and it doesn't handle as well as a MT, will one of you guys saying that let me kick you in the nuts? :icon_biggrin:

You might find yourself kicking your own a$$ and saying "what did I wait for":shhh:

Hornblower
11-10-2014, 11:51 AM

No, because YMMV. That said, of all the riders I'm aware of that have gone darkside, the ones preferring it far outnumber the ones that don't.

valkmc
11-10-2014, 08:13 PM
No, because YMMV. That said, of all the riders I'm aware of that have gone darkside, the ones preferring it far outnumber the ones that don't.

I swore I wouldn't do it but then I got a Valkyrie and there were not to many tire choices at first. The lack of choices led to some crappy prices so I said to hell with it and put a Good Year TT on the Valk. It lasted a little over 30K and with the Valk I could hardly feel it. Put one on the Wing right after I bought it and now have one on the F6. I do like having both so the Michelin is on an old Wing rim and the MC tire is on the original rim sitting in the garage.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 08:21 PM
I'd love to try it... but I know me, if I didn't like it I wouldn't be able to throw away a perfectly good tire... I'd have to ride it until it wore out and that may take a couple of years.

If I were on a long road trip I think a CT would be a no brainer... but for getting kicks around town, I'm not willing to leave any miniscule amount of handling on the table... I want it ALLLLLL :icon_biggrin:

Besides, my novice but burgeoning riding skills already leaves enough handling on the table... and we all know the F6 is a greedy biatch... the more turn-in-speed and lean-angle you give her, the more she wants. On every ride I find myself getting faster and better... going to a CT might reverse the progress I'm making :stirthepot:

Steve 0080
11-10-2014, 09:01 PM
There is a RTE in Crystal River...ride up and you can take mine for a ride !!! You are not going to get a better offer !!!!

Deer Slayer
11-10-2014, 09:01 PM
80,000 plus miles, I ain't going back. Makes a great stopping tire when pulling my Bunkhouse camper. Handling, I don't remember. When I got my F6B, the M/C tire was removed at 60 miles. I just put on another Bridgestone Ecopia at 23,000 miles. I have another tire Hornblower ordered for me for the extra rim. :cheers:

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 09:18 PM
There is a RTE in Crystal River...ride up and you can take mine for a ride !!! You are not going to get a better offer !!!!

Very cool of you to offer Steve! When is the RTE... is there a meeting spot?

shooter
11-10-2014, 09:33 PM
No but you have my permission to kick Scot in the nuts. Sorry Scot. Better you than me.

stepbill
11-10-2014, 10:11 PM
What do you mean when you say that you feel everything with a car tire? In western North Carolina, there are a lot of grooved roads to help with the weather. The tread on my stock tires handle this well, no moving side to side, but with my Honda VTX 1300, the tread goes in the opposite direction and boy do you feel the grooves and movement. Is this what you feel with the car tire as the treads are similar to the VTX?

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 10:16 PM
:icon_biggrin:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1RvjhKig-_o/UqacYLimP8I/AAAAAAAABnQ/gRMkVHvcCbA/s800/3772496%252B_05d875ac018befa741306bba6fe0f8c1.gif

shooter
11-10-2014, 11:02 PM
srt8 I will tell you how I approached it. I do have an advantage. I have been a tire dealer for 25 years. I read bob109 posts about the g-max and right after that my wholesaler ran some specials on it. Picked one up for about $70. Bought a new takeoff wheel from HOR for like $200 and sold the tire on the forum for $100. So I got like $170 in a new tire and wheel. Figured if I didn't like it Bob would buy it.Ha. So now I could try it and still have the MC tire and wheel if I didn't like it. Well I liked it. Bought the Michelin Primacy Alpin and put it in the rack. Gonna order a chrome rim from whoever has the best warranty and put the Michelin on it. I will keep the general mounted as is for a spare. Ordered a new RCWheel for the front. If that Michelin is as good as they say it is it will be my primary tire. I gotta tell you though I really like the feel of the G-Max.