PDA

View Full Version : TPMS... nothing but crap

srt8-in-largo
11-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Looking for a *good* TPMS system to put on the bike but, man, I'm really disappointed with what's available. Here are my thoughts o nthe kits I've looked at; anybody have a suggestion?

I'm leaning towards the Murph's kit. Hawkshead would be in the running but I don't like such long intervals between pressure updates.

Doran 360M - $200
This is fairly popular with the GL1800 crowd and appears to be a well-made and good performing unit, however, the receiver is a big bulky box and although tire pressure readings are available you have to press a tiny button to see them. The normal readout on the display says "ON"... because Doran feels that displaying the pressure readings is a rider distraction. Huh? Dumb IMO. I think a rider having to reach for that tiny button is a bigger distraction than simply having the pressures displayed in the first place. Next, Doran's sensors only transmit pressure values to the receiver every 6 minutes... this is too long between updates IMO. Lastly, when Doran sensors die you can't change the battery, you have to repurchase the whole sensor; guys are reporting 1 to 3 year service life of the sensors which is far too short. My OEM car sensors are approaching 10 years. Tire temperature is not monitored, just pressure.

Show Chrome TireGard - $160
The sensors used on this kit transmit pressure readings continuously as long as the bike is in motion... and tire temperature in addition to pressure is given... but the receiver is a delicate non-waterproof pocket fob with really bad reliability. Several people report failures within a year, and subsequent failures of replacement units. Further, I've seen reports fo Show Chrome being difficult to deal with in honoring warranties for this device.

Murph's Kit Tire Watch - $184 (made by LDL Technology)
These sensors transmit every 1 minute and transmit both pressure and temperature... but temperature is only given in degrees C with no option to convert to F. These sensors also cannot replace the battery; a whole new sensor must be purchased.

Kisan Tire Alert - $250
Complicated setup that requires mounting "pickup" transceivers to read the sensors. So far I haven't been able to find a retailer that has a Goldwing specific kit.

Hawkshead Moto Track 2 - $159
Sensors only transmit every 5 minutes... but batteries can be replaced. The receiver is a battery operated pocket fob so if you have this turned on constantly during a ride, I don't see it lasting long. However... I guess you can let the receiver go to sleep and just rely on it waking up if a low pressure alert occurs.

Steve 0080
11-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Have you looked at the Garmin...

srt8-in-largo
11-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I like that option Steve... but no I haven't looked into it. I decided to keep my Garmin Oregon and not spend the big bucks for that.

I'm looking at car-oriented TPMS now; maybe there's something in the car world that can be cleanly and easily adapted for bike use.

shooter
11-07-2014, 08:01 AM
I have one factory Honda wheel sensor I will sell cheap if you need it. New takeoff.

srt8-in-largo
11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks Shooter...

At the end of the day I may make my own system... and have it work the way IIIII want it to :icon_biggrin:

- fast updates
- pressure and temperature monitoring
- replaceable batteries in the sensors
- customizable display to show the info that YOU want to see
- weather proof receiver
- selectable units

yellow rex
11-07-2014, 10:13 PM
You may try to find Tom Finch on the other Goldwing forum
he displayed a system that was perfect in everyway, it displayed
temp. psi and a few other things I just cant remember.

Kevbuckley333
11-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I noticed that many of these systems require metal valve stems due to the increased centrifugal force. From what I can see our valve stems are a metal/rubber hybrid. Will they need to be replaced before using a TPMS or will the metal supports be sturdy enough to support the sensor?

srt8-in-largo
11-07-2014, 11:51 PM
You may try to find Tom Finch on the other Goldwing forum
he displayed a system that was perfect in everyway, it displayed
temp. psi and a few other things I just cant remember.

What forum do you mean?

I stopped posting on GL1800riders because of the heavy moderating and censorship over there... the heavy hitters there are slowly but surely migrating to theGLforum... which is where I go when I'm not here.

In addition... there's Steve Saunders, RidersRally, GoldwingOwners, etc... please don't make me search all of them for Tom Finch :icon_biggrin:

I noticed that many of these systems require metal valve stems due to the increased centrifugal force. From what I can see our valve stems are a metal/rubber hybrid. Will they need to be replaced before using a TPMS or will the metal supports be sturdy enough to support the sensor?

I don't know if any real failures have happened due to this... but the vendors who use external sensors strongly suggest upgrading to all metal stems. I believe the Doran kit comes complete with new metal stems.

Other kits have internal sensors and these replace your valve stems as part of the sensor.

srt8-in-largo
11-08-2014, 02:13 AM
I guess I'll be giving this a shot...

Orange Electronics - TPchecker $170 (http://wingstuff.com/products/33223-tp-checker-motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitor)
Internet reviews are hit-n-miss... but it has just about everything I want. These sensors measure pressure and temperature every 3 seconds and transmit to the receiver every 30 seconds. Even with all this activity, sensor life is still rated at 3 years; batteries are not replaceable so you'll need to buy a whole new sensor. The screen is small but the characters are LARGE and READABLE while on the go. You can display pressure fulltime, temperature fulltime, or alternating pressure and temperature. Pressure units can be chosen as psi, bar, or kPa; temperature in C or F. The receiver is weatherproof and hardwired into the bike wiring so you don't need to worry about replacing batteries.

Finally, and maybe most useful, pressure and temperature can be read while the bike is parked! So with this, when you first get to the bike in the morning you can turn the switch to ACC and check your pressures... instead of only being able to check them AFTER you take off on a ride. Whoever thought motion activated sensors was a good idea?

Some people have reported early issues with this system while others have reported years of trouble free use. The feature set and useability is good enough that I'll take a chance... placing an order with Wingstuff now :icon_biggrin:

Texas TC
11-10-2014, 05:57 PM
I had Hawkshead on my RV. All 6 tires. I recently removed it because 1. Battery life and 2. False readings. It would, from time to time show pressure loss in a tire that was not true. Also, I rarely had all 6 operating at the same time. It kept giving me no sensor on the screen. I had the OEM Honda TPMS on my '12 Wing and it, too, gave me problems with false lights. I have gone old school and just check my air pressure with a tire gauge.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 07:46 PM
That's a shame TC. I mean really, this simple technology should be rock-solid and bullet-proof. Did it only act up in the cold?

Doran has the best reviews I've seen... I actually can't recall any bad reviews. I woulda given that a shot but I know I couldn't live with the display showing "ON" instead of actual pressures... why would they do something so ridiculous.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Looks like the TPchecker has been discontinued... Wingstuff just sent me a cancellation email.

Anybody have experience in making their own DIY TPMS system?

FlyinF
11-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I have TireGard on F6 and FJR for over a year now and no problems, accuracy is within .5 psi compared to shop pressure gauge. For sure you have to have metal stems. Sometimes I have to ride maybe quarter mile for them to "wake up". Found them on eBay for bout $125 on sale.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm

edgeman55
11-10-2014, 10:30 PM
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm

Nice find.Was going to get a all metal stem when I replace my tires in spring.These look good.

srt8-in-largo
11-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Kisan Tire Alert (http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/tirealert.html?p=1) - $250
I decided to give the Kisan unit a try. The GL1800 part number is TPM-30 and you need the TA-10 brackets for mounting the sensor pickups. Yes, this is a slightly more complicated setup than most TPMS but the brackets can be mounted out of sight. Further, nothing in this kit uses batteries... and I really like that.

Like the Orange TPchecker, the display is large and easily readable and displays pressure or temperature constantly. When an alert happens the entire backlight changes to red, also like the Orange TPchecker display. I think this is better than having a key fob vibrate in your pocket or having a display with one small LED that lights up.

Because this unit operates using a sensor pickup based on wheel rotation, they were able to add a couple of performance features... a 0 to 60 timer and a horsepower calculator.

So... I ordered this from Phat Performance a couple of days ago... and today I got an email saying Kisan is in process of re-designing this unit and it won't be available again for a full calendar year. I'm writing all of the above as an archive to my research and to help anyone else who's in the market for TPMS. I'm thinking I'll get their new unit next year... but I'd still like to get something in the interim.

I have TireGard on F6 and FJR for over a year now and no problems, accuracy is within .5 psi compared to shop pressure gauge. For sure you have to have metal stems. Sometimes I have to ride maybe quarter mile for them to "wake up". Found them on eBay for bout $125 on sale.

Thanks for the feedback. I like several things about the Tiregard but I really want a TPMS that will give me readings when the bike is parked. I don't wanna have to get out on the road in order to check ma tires :icon_biggrin:

Nice find.Was going to get a all metal stem when I replace my tires in spring.These look good.

:yes:

I agree they look pretty good... one piece billet aluminum I think.

srt8-in-largo
11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=71

srt8-in-largo
11-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I would search for reviews on the Tiregard before getting it. Here's a Winger who lost all rear tire pressure while the Tiregard continued to read 43 psi with no alerts. Several reviews can be found where the fob receiver stopped working.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/483857-anyone-added-tpms-lately-gl1500-i-particularly.html#post3434185

srt8-in-largo
11-15-2014, 10:16 PM
I like these systems:

Mobiletron - PTO_VPC02A-LA4
- This is the system I would recommend to anyone who asks, appears to have the highest quality.
- Only one USA distributor, however. Regitar in Alabama (http://regitar.com/ecatalog/tpms/2-wheels%20?product_id=4468).
- Display is IP66; downside is the display is kinda big and bulky.
- Sensors have a 7 year rated battery life.
- Good user reviews

Kisan - TPM-30
- Out of production for redesign until late 2015 per Phat Performance
- Good user reviews

Orange Electronics - TPchecker M202
- Out of production
- User reviews are hit or miss.

Here are the summary deal breakers for each of these systems:

Doran - 360M
- Sensors only transmit every 6 minutes.
- Pressure only; no temperature monitoring.
- Display reads the words "on" instead of pressure; you have to press a button to see pressure.

Hawkshead - Moto Track 2
- Sensors only transmit every 5 minutes.

HCI Tire Safeguard - TPM-B20MD
- Cannot view the display at night unless you press a button.

Murph's Kit (made by LDL Technology) - Tire Watch
- Temp displayed in C only.
- Sensors are motion activated and only transmit when at ~12 mph.

Show Chrome - TireGard 13-315
- Display is a battery powered pocket fob and not waterproof.
- Has low user reviews for reliability.

Show Chrome - TireGard 13-318
- Display is a battery powered handlebar mount and not waterproof.

Tyredog - TD-4100A-X
- Display is battery powered.
- Sensor battery life is rated at only 6 months.

Vulcan - PressurePro
- Only displays one tire pressure at a time, cycling through each tire one at a time.

Zadi - RTS
- Sensors are motion activated and may not show pressure when parked.

CoCoKola
06-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Love your research, THANK YOU for finding all this info. Question is, are there any UPDATES? I am in the market for one as a father day's gift. What have others selected?

I like these systems:

Mobiletron - PTO_VPC02A-LA4
- This is the system I would recommend to anyone who asks, appears to have the highest quality.
- Only one USA distributor, however. Regitar in Alabama (http://regitar.com/ecatalog/tpms/2-wheels%20?product_id=4468).
- Display is IP66; downside is the display is kinda big and bulky.
- Sensors have a 7 year rated battery life.
- Good user reviews

Kisan - TPM-30
- Out of production for redesign until late 2015 per Phat Performance
- Good user reviews

Orange Electronics - TPchecker M202
- Out of production
- User reviews are hit or miss.

Here are the summary deal breakers for each of these systems:

Doran - 360M
- Sensors only transmit every 6 minutes.
- Pressure only; no temperature monitoring.
- Display reads the words "on" instead of pressure; you have to press a button to see pressure.

Hawkshead - Moto Track 2
- Sensors only transmit every 5 minutes.

HCI Tire Safeguard - TPM-B20MD
- Cannot view the display at night unless you press a button.

Murph's Kit (made by LDL Technology) - Tire Watch
- Temp displayed in C only.
- Sensors are motion activated and only transmit when at ~12 mph.

Show Chrome - TireGard 13-315
- Display is a battery powered pocket fob and not waterproof.
- Has low user reviews for reliability.

Show Chrome - TireGard 13-318
- Display is a battery powered handlebar mount and not waterproof.

Tyredog - TD-4100A-X
- Sensor battery life is rated at only 6 months.

Vulcan - PressurePro
- Only displays one tire pressure at a time, cycling through each tire one at a time.

Zadi - RTS
- Sensors are motion activated and may not show pressure when parked.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Sorry no updates; idk if any of these kits have been updated or if something new is on the market.

I'm still disappointed to see so many companies making what seem like unreliable *toys* for such a critical application. Be careful with what you buy and search for more recent reviews. I think some of the systems out there will do little more than provide a false sense of security.

Every once in a while you'll see a news story about a motorcycle fatality due to a tire blowout. I can't help but wonder how many of these were from packing the wife and a week's worth of gear on under inflated tires.

IMO, no TPMS is better than a flaky one. At least this way you're obligated to manually check your tires.

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Love your research, THANK YOU for finding all this info. Question is, are there any UPDATES? I am in the market for one as a father day's gift. What have others selected?

YW btw. And I'd also love to hear from others.

:popcorn:

CoCoKola
06-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Well my search started with the 7 dollar deals, to a cheap solution, to finding this thread and going crap, I have to spend some coin.

I guess there isn't anyone with a something installed who can say hey, this thing works...

Sigh

Fla_rider
06-01-2015, 08:47 PM
This is your project George! Any updates?

CoCoKola
06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Quick update on the redesign..
"
Date: 2015-06-01 21:13:36
Name: Help Desk Staff
Printer friendly version
Robert,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide details on the TPMS at this point. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Help Desk Staff
Kisan Tech Support
Kisan Electronics, Inc.
http://www.kisantech.com"

Huh, well thanks for nothing..

srt8-in-largo
06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Well my search started with the 7 dollar deals, to a cheap solution, to finding this thread and going crap, I have to spend some coin.

I guess there isn't anyone with a something installed who can say hey, this thing works...

Sigh

I assumed you saw this thread? I know it's still not gonna help with a Father's Day gift.

After all of my disappointing research I decided to go ahead and make my own TPMS. I have a few loose ends to button up before it's finished.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4266-TPMS-DIY-and-Design-Anatomy&highlight=tpms

This is your project George! Any updates?

Always the supporter; thanks buddy :yes: I'm still interested to hear of any user experiences with what people are using.

No updates still. I seem to have one thing after another vying for my time. I completed some fence work and put in some new grass around the house. Last weekend was spent putting a new tire on. Now I have some stucco repair and re-arranging some walls in the laundry room :icon_frown:

I'm slowly but surely digging myself out of the hole to be able to get back to the project...

I forgot to mention the bathroom that I completely gutted and remodeled that sucked up a couple of months.

Quick update on the redesign..
"
Date: 2015-06-01 21:13:36
Name: Help Desk Staff
Printer friendly version
Robert,

Unfortunately, we cannot provide details on the TPMS at this point. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Help Desk Staff
Kisan Tech Support
Kisan Electronics, Inc.
http://www.kisantech.com"

Huh, well thanks for nothing..

Well that's not saying anything at all lol.

Fla_rider
06-02-2015, 05:38 AM
I assumed you saw this thread? I know it's still not gonna help with a Father's Day gift.

After all of my disappointing research I decided to go ahead and make my own TPMS. I have a few loose ends to button up before it's finished.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4266-TPMS-DIY-and-Design-Anatomy&highlight=tpms

Always the supporter; thanks buddy :yes: I'm still interested to hear of any user experiences with what people are using.

No updates still. I seem to have one thing after another vying for my time. I completed some fence work and put in some new grass around the house. Last weekend was spent putting a new tire on. Now I have some stucco repair and re-arranging some walls in the laundry room :icon_frown:

I'm slowly but surely digging myself out of the hole to be able to get back to the project...

I forgot to mention the bathroom that I completely gutted and remodeled that sucked up a couple of months.

Well that's not saying anything at all lol.

Dang, such the handy man you are. Should I put you on my short list for my house? Nah, I'm having a new home built in Mulberry/Lakeland.

wjduke
06-02-2015, 07:02 AM
I personally hate TPMS, being in the automotive tire business. I don't need a light telling me my tire is 3lbs low (or high ) and making me wonder if I'll make it home or not. The technology is awesome and I get it, but the reality needs tweaking bad. There's just too many issues.

CoCoKola
06-02-2015, 01:43 PM
So the tpm systems on Amazon, made for trailers etc was my first thought. Then realized the extra weight and clearance could be an issue. Alas, just seems like someone would have a proven solution for the task. Do the type "a" gw already have tpm?

CoCoKola
06-03-2015, 12:17 PM
I decided to order a Mobiletron - PTO_VPC02A-LA4. They are out of black, so i am waiting on length to ship and shipping costs. unit was about 135. Apparently they used to sell external version.. only silver and black now. Silver in stock

srt8-in-largo
06-03-2015, 01:03 PM
I decided to order a Mobiletron - PTO_VPC02A-LA4. They are out of black, so i am waiting on length to ship and shipping costs. unit was about 135. Apparently they used to sell external version.. only silver and black now. Silver in stock

Good deal Press; I hope that works out for ya and, please, let us know you and your dad's impressions of how it works.

The silver looks better than black to me; the grey buttons blend in a little better. Note that these sensors appear to be the type that install inside of the wheel with a steel band; no big deal at all, you'll just have to dismount the tire.

http://regitar.com/ecatalog/TPMS/2-wheels%20?product_id=3645

One comment, the steel band *may* interfere with the OEM valve stem; this stem has a fat rubber boot on the inside of the rim that sticks up right in the center of the wheel where the steel band would go. Sometimes these kits ship with a valve stem "bridge" that elevates the steel band up and over the fat rubber boot. If this kit doesn't have that, you may want to consider using a different (and better) valve stem.

I use the Milton Industries S409 which sits FLUSH on the inside of the rim and should not interfere with any steel bands for TPMS sensors. I'll post a pic tonight.

Dang, such the handy man you are. Should I put you on my short list for my house? Nah, I'm having a new home built in Mulberry/Lakeland.

Wow! That's fantastic John; I'd love to be able to do that someday. For now I'll just bring my fork to your house warming :icon_mrgreen:

CoCoKola
06-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Good deal Press; I hope that works out for ya and, please, let us know you and your dad's impressions of how it works.

my dad?

Thanks for the info on the strap. It is the only way to order these now. I'll ask about the 'lift' over the valve stem. I saw the valve stem you mentioned, did you have to Dremel off the "T" from the rim to make it work, like the website says?

srt8-in-largo
06-03-2015, 09:12 PM
my dad?

Thanks for the info on the strap. It is the only way to order these now. I'll ask about the 'lift' over the valve stem. I saw the valve stem you mentioned, did you have to Dremel off the "T" from the rim to make it work, like the website says?

Post #20... Father's day gift; or are YOU the father receiving this as a gift? :icon_biggrin:

I did not dremel the "T"; this valve stem sits perfectly next to it with no interference at all.

It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but that fat rubber boot of the OEM stem in the top pic protrudes a fair bit above the surface of the rim... right in the middle where the strap goes. I'm pretty sure if you strapped this with no bridge, the strap would seal onto the boot and block air passage.

The bottom pic shows the Milton S409 after its' been tightened; the smaller steel boot pulls into the opening and sits just a tad below the rim surface. I *believe* you should be able to put a strap on this and not block the air passage... but you'll have to confirm that. If you still needed a bridge, it'd be easier to find one for this. If needed I'd check eBay for used TPMS sensors that come with one. You should be able to find one for $10 to $20.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZvCl_4s0nUI/VW-w-hhXXXI/AAAAAAAAC8A/-68S70C-0Yg/s800/DSC00674.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RQ6zS3daE8M/VW-w8W3IYgI/AAAAAAAAC74/0rbKIl2VjKA/s800/DSC00740.JPG

CoCoKola
06-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Cool thanx so much for the helpful tips. !!Yes, I am the father ;) doah.

CoCoKola
06-04-2015, 11:11 AM
I did not Dremel the "T"; this valve stem sits perfectly next to it with no interference at all.

It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but that fat rubber boot of the OEM stem in the top pic protrudes a fair bit above the surface of the rim... right in the middle where the strap goes. I'm pretty sure if you strapped this with no bridge, the strap would seal onto the boot and block air passage.

The bottom pic shows the Milton S409 after its' been tightened; the smaller steel boot pulls into the opening and sits just a tad below the rim surface. I *believe* you should be able to put a strap on this and not block the air passage... but you'll have to confirm that. If you still needed a bridge, it'd be easier to find one for this. If needed I'd check eBay for used TPMS sensors that come with one. You should be able to find one for $10 to $20.

So I checked with the manufacturer, it does include a valve protector:

Now for the question of a new valve stem - since I am going internal, I don't have to get one, but after thinking of the issues they cause, I have to take each tire off anyway, now is the time to upgrade. According to the value you recommended (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm), they have this disclaimer:

HONDA MODEL SPECIFIC ISSUES:EXCEPTION: 1988-2000 Honda GL1500 GoldWing & 2001-2008+ Honda GL1800 GoldWing, and all years Honda Rune: Not in stock form -- minor modification required (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/honda_gl_series_valve_seat.jpg).
Kudos to Mike at JBJ Cycles (http://www.jbjcycles.com/) for pointing out this issue on the GL-series. Also note that on many years, rear valve will need to face left or be installed off-angle (70 - 75° instead of 90°) if installed pointed towards the right, to clear the rear caliper & caliper bleeder valve.
Honda created the wheels for it's GoldWing series with a T-support for the valve stem to address a valve clearance/collapse issue -- and stupidly enough, put the support to the left side (side stand-side), so owners can't readily get at their tire valves without placing the bike on the center stand. Taking a Dremel to cut/grind away this "T" support (see picture of T-support here (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/honda_gl_series_valve_seat.jpg)) flush with the rest of the valve seat area will permit installation of our valves, as well as permitting you to face the valve in the opposite direction as stock (i.e. - permitting it to face to the right side, so pressures can easily be checked & air easily added while stopped on the sides and). If mounting facing the caliper, for many years' models, you must install the valve at an slightly off-angle to prevent it from contacting the caliper (70 - 75° to direction of rotation of the wheel, instead of 90° -- please check clearance before dismounting the wheel to ensure your placement will be feasible (we suggest use of a wax pencil to mark the acceptable seating angle).... which is interesting. I like the idea of having the valve stem pointing to the right side of the bike. I haven't checked, but easier access for adding air would be a HUGE plus to me. They say above you can mount it off-set so you solve the clearance issue, but being able to have the stem point towards the opposite side as the kick stand sounds like a winner.

Since I am not a mechanic, might be a lot to ask a shop to do, cost wise anyway.

thoughts? Again, thanks!

srt8-in-largo
06-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks for sharing that update re: valve protector! Good to know.

I'm no longer recommending that valve stem after seeing a comment by Hiflyer who was concerned about not being able to see and monitor the mounting nut. And he's absolutely right. I've seen MIL spec shock and vibe testing where fasteners have walked themselves out as if they're being actuated by invisible tools. Granted, MIL spec testing is a TON more harsh than what a valve stem will see, and in all likelihood it should be fine, but I still prefer a stem with the nut on the outside where I can check it.

At the very least use RED thread locker. This is all serious stuff that can get a guy killed if not done right. And btw, a 90 degree stem allows checking the air from both sides of the bike :icon_biggrin:

Regarding the T support, if all the shop is doing is cutting it off, really, they should not charge you any more than a token amount; it would be fast and easy to grind it off.

stevenolts
06-04-2015, 02:05 PM
I bought the FOBO Bike TPMS $100.00
It seems to be pretty good / works with bluetooth to your cell phone Android or I Phone

I have wanted to give a review but I have not had time. (I will give my quick impressions)

I ordered from a guy on the GL1800 forum. (I can get the name etc... if you want)

I like the system!

Positives

Inexpensive
I always ride with my cell phone
If I switched bikes I can move it easily
It seems accurate
If I remember to start the app after I turn my phone off it will warn me if pressure is low as I walk up to bike or sit watching TV in the living room.

Negatives:
I have to remember to start the app after my phone has been turned off (Maybe I can get an app to start the app)
It warns me when I am watching TV (ha ha)
It is only accurate when the tires are cold (no compensation for heat) so the warning will not help for slightly low tires on the road.

Steve

CoCoKola
06-04-2015, 04:16 PM
I like this, I use my cell to manage my LEDs etc. I wish I had seen this an hour before. I just locked into purchasing the other solution. I can't find any information that says how often the updates are sent, but it does say it will alert if there is not a connection - which seems to be the problem with other units.

I bought the FOBO Bike TPMS $100.00
It seems to be pretty good / works with bluetooth to your cell phone Android or I Phone

I have wanted to give a review but I have not had time. (I will give my quick impressions)

I ordered from a guy on the GL1800 forum. (I can get the name etc... if you want)

I like the system!

Positives

Inexpensive
I always ride with my cell phone
If I switched bikes I can move it easily
It seems accurate
If I remember to start the app after I turn my phone off it will warn me if pressure is low as I walk up to bike or sit watching TV in the living room.

Negatives:
I have to remember to start the app after my phone has been turned off (Maybe I can get an app to start the app)
It warns me when I am watching TV (ha ha)
It is only accurate when the tires are cold (no compensation for heat) so the warning will not help for slightly low tires on the road.

Steve

radi0chik
06-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I would LOVE to see something such as the Big Bike Parts 13-318 but have it be able to read the current internal TPMS that the Goldwings have. Right now, all it has is an idiot light that says it's low. It doesn't say whether its 1 or 20psi low. That would be nice to integrate into the F6 as well. Right now that's what I have on mine, and have no issues with it. I need to learn/figure out what language and how the sensors/receivers talk back and forth. It CAN'T be rocket science!

srt8-in-largo
06-04-2015, 06:06 PM
I would LOVE to see something such as the Big Bike Parts 13-318 but have it be able to read the current internal TPMS that the Goldwings have. Right now, all it has is an idiot light that says it's low. It doesn't say whether its 1 or 20psi low. That would be nice to integrate into the F6 as well. Right now that's what I have on mine, and have no issues with it. I need to learn/figure out what language and how the sensors/receivers talk back and forth. It CAN'T be rocket science!

I guess you skipped post #26 above with this link :icon_biggrin:

I have a home made prototype TPMS system with a fully functioning RF link between sensor and receiver module... and you're right, it's not rocket science. TPMS RF links operate in a specified frequency band defined by the FCC in the USA and their counterpart regulatory body internationally; the de facto standard frequencies are either 325 or 433 MHz. Most TPMS systems communicate using a frequency modulation technique called FSK, frequency shift keying. Basically, a baseband is chosen, either 325 or 433 MHz, and *slight* frequency deviations are used to transmit data that will be decoded as a digital "one" or a digital "zero" by the receiver. Once the receiver decodes the transmitted data and captures the stream of 1's and 0's, it can then digitally process the information and send it to an LCD screen, for instance, to display temperature and pressure data. That's all there is to it.

As for the Goldwing sensors, reverse engineering a receiver to work with them can be done, but it's a SIGNIFICANT task with no guarantee of success. I evaluated this option and concluded that it would be better overall to make my own sensors. This way, you have control of the software on both ends of the link which allows debugging and designing without relying on what little technical support Honda may provide (due to liability reasons they probably wouldn't provide any support).

radi0chik
06-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I guess you skipped post #26 above with this link :icon_biggrin:

I did see the thread, and saw you were working on one. The reason I wanted it interfacing to the original honda sensors is the goldwings that DO have the system, have a light on the dash that will never go off (short of redoing a bunch of wires) if their default sensors aren't installed. So if you remove the default sensors, you're screwed.

Making your own sensors and receiver works too, just doesn't interface with the stock setup.

stevenolts
06-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I chose the FOBO because it will do what I need for a reasonable price and it warns me before I ride (and in the living room).
At home I can still put air in the tire while the tires are cold and get accurate readings. Once on the road it will warn me if the pressure drops a lot. I guess you can get a feel for how the pressure changes with the temperature. It reads both pressure and temp (but does not compensate for the temp)

I want this to be successful because I can get it for the cars and the bikes and then I can check my daughters and wife's car from the house.

The jury is still out with most people on the forum from what I have read. So for my $100.00 I no longer have to crawl under the bike to check the tire pressure. I am no expert but this gives accurate enough pressure readings and will warn me before I ride when I am still at home next to my air compressor. (Not bad for $100.00)

Steve

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Good deal Steven; I like those usability features.

Accuracy and precision are pretty much a given and problems should be rare. There's only a handful of manufacturers who make automotive pressure sensors and all have pretty much the same accuracy spec. The differences, and the problems if any, will come from how well each vendor designs the supporting circuitry and software.

As for compensating for temperature, that's not a big deal. You check and set pressure when the tire is cold, and it matters little if the pressure rises a few psi with temperature. Further, the compensation routine is handled by the IC in the pressure sensor... and it requires extra power from the battery to run. The vendor is actually maximizing battery life by minimizing the amount of work the IC needs to do. I'd gladly accept this "limitation" if it buys only a few extra months of operation over the span of several years.

stevenolts
06-05-2015, 02:05 PM
FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
Steve

CoCoKola
06-05-2015, 05:11 PM
FOBO TPMS

One thing I forgot to mention is the batteries can easily be changed. The tire sensor is on the valve stem. I bought the t shaped valve stem replacements so I can leave the pressure sensor on and add air as needed. I will add the new valve stems when I change the tires. For now I have to remove the sensor to add air. I use a pressure gauge when I add air (I guess this is my quality control to make sure the sensors are reporting accurate).
Steve

wishing i had waited one more day. Oh well.

srt8-in-largo
06-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Sorry Press; I shoulda mentioned that none of the Bluetooth linked devices have been captured.

Maybe Regitar will take it back...

CoCoKola
06-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Oh man, not your fault! Thanks though. I missed that part, totally on me.

I am going to check I the returns, but at the same time, I know this is a solid solution..

stevenolts
06-06-2015, 09:03 AM
I was private messaged about where to find the guy I bought the system from: (so I thought I would share my response)

I bought the system from a guy I found on the GL1800 forum.

buckskin55@sbcglobal.net
He was real nice to deal with (arrived within a day or two)

Remember to order the black / he sent me the silver (not a big deal)

I like the system / as I said I am not an expert. It seems accurate when I add air with my own pressure gauge it reports the same pressure within a pound. I like that it warns me before I get on the bike and if I have it on a second bike or on the cars it will warn me about those also. I always have my cell with me when I ride the bike or the car. It allows me to check the air when the tires are cold and will warn me if I loose a lot of air on the road. I don't know how great it would be on the road if you just loose a few pounds because it does not compensate for temp. It does report both temp and air so you can get a feel after using it for a while how much pressure it should be at operating temp.

Steve

JEA65109
06-07-2015, 08:25 AM
I picked up a set of the FOBO's in Branson yesterday. I love the way it works and the fact that you can change the battery. I have information about here to get the but I won't post ... Trying to stay inline with forum rules and guidelines.

Pm me if you like !

Fla_rider
06-07-2015, 09:56 AM
If the FOBO sensors are BT then are they always trying to sync? Which would lead to a shorter battery life?
:banghead:

JEA65109
06-07-2015, 10:00 AM
If the FOBO sensors are BT then are they always trying to sync? Which would lead to a shorter battery life?
:banghead:

This is true but you can shut them down and they will only activate if pressure goes outside of the parameters, that are set by the user.

srt8-in-largo
06-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Interesting question about the BT synching and effect on battery life; I also have a question about operation. BT has a low power standard that they call BLE... Bluetooth Low Energy. The marketing material should specify whether or not BLE is being used, or if it's "regular" BT.

When any communication link gets shutdown, whether it's LAN, BT, or whatever, there's a certain amount of software "handshaking" that needs to take place before the link comes online. For example, the two devices need to confirm with each other that they're powered up, they need to agree on link speed, and several other interoperability specs.

When you first powerup your computer, you may notice that the internet connection takes a while before its' ready. This software handshaking is the reason for the delay, and you may also notice that it takes a good deal of time. I'm not up to speed on BT links, maybe they come up faster, and maybe not. If BT systems are using a shutdown mode to conserve battery life, I'd want to understand when and where the link does that, and how quickly the link gets re-established.

Just sharing a random thought...

CoCoKola
06-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Interesting question about the BT synching and effect on battery life; I also have a question about operation. BT has a low power standard that they call BLE... Bluetooth Low Energy. The marketing material should specify whether or not BLE is being used, or if it's "regular" BT.

When any communication link gets shutdown, whether it's LAN, BT, or whatever, there's a certain amount of software "handshaking" that needs to take place before the link comes online. For example, the two devices need to confirm with each other that they're powered up, they need to agree on link speed, and several other interoperability specs.

When you first powerup your computer, you may notice that the internet connection takes a while before its' ready. This software handshaking is the reason for the delay, and you may also notice that it takes a good deal of time. I'm not up to speed on BT links, maybe they come up faster, and maybe not. If BT systems are using a shutdown mode to conserve battery life, I'd want to understand when and where the link does that, and how quickly the link gets re-established.

Just sharing a random thought...

If memory serves, bluetooth v4 is very battery friendly. To me, since the batteries are replaceable, Im not sure I would have an issue with this, so long as you get 1+ years of service

CoCoKola
08-01-2015, 06:44 PM
If memory serves, bluetooth v4 is very battery friendly. To me, since the batteries are replaceable, Im not sure I would have an issue with this, so long as you get 1+ years of service

Wow, this unit is absolutely the $hit. I am very impressed. The guy who installed it for me said it was within .5psi of his $100 tool, and you can see when it updates. the psi or temp goes blank for 1-2 seconds and then the updated value is shown. i had no idea how hot the tires get when you ride, and the PSI goes +7-8 from cold. I always figured 4-5 when I was adding air to hot tires. just food for thought.

thanks SO much for this thread!

MisterB
02-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Happy to report that the Orange are back in production. Post #6 has some good info.
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?150463-Motorcycle-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-and-Temperature-Monitor-System-RRR-Tools

maxrider
03-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Ordered Orange M203 today, 2 day usps priority shipping, install it Friday, let you know how it turns out,BTW $175 o/d.

maxrider
04-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Love those M203 , no more getting DOWN to check the pressure, and the added features of sensor unit remaining voltage, bike output voltage, and tire temp, and best of all easy and quick install, great product for safe riding.

txswat
04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Fobobike...have on mine and works great $99 bucks...

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike

:lolup:

Patch
04-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Interesting read for those wanting to know the regulations and guidance given by NHTSA regarding TPMS systems. Seems like there is a requirement buried in the mess that covers how often the system should report (test) pressure in the tire(s), as well as when the MIL light should come on.

NHTSA FMVSS 138 - TPMS (http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TPMS-FMVSS-No138-2005/part1.html)

JMartin
11-04-2016, 09:27 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add my +1 for the FOBO setup.
Ran them on my PC800, and in fact left them on when I sold the bike.
Took a couple minutes to log-in to their website to "release" them to the new owner... Done.
(They are bound to an email address when you first install them - makes them useless if stolen and installed on another bike).

Great $100 investment.
I'll buy another set for the F6B when I get mine.

Jim

copper
03-21-2017, 07:14 AM
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add my +1 for the FOBO setup.
Ran them on my PC800, and in fact left them on when I sold the bike.
Took a couple minutes to log-in to their website to "release" them to the new owner... Done.
(They are bound to an email address when you first install them - makes them useless if stolen and installed on another bike).

Great $100 investment.
I'll buy another set for the F6B when I get mine.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for this. I was wondering about how best to monitor tire pressure when I was out for a spin last night. I was caught on my M109 with a flat tire on a freeway a few years ago, didn't like that one bit. Would have appreciated an early warning that I had caught a nail & was loosing pressure as a result, rather than learn at 110 km/hr that I was finally running on the rim and sliding with he camber int he road to the edge of the highway.

C

Fla_rider
03-22-2017, 08:41 AM
+1 on FOBO. Been using them 2 years now with stock stems. Great product would buy them again. Only have to change the battery yearly. So FOBO would have alerted you that the pressure parameter was below the setting. Example you set the front tire for 41 lbs +- 4 lbs. When the pressure hits less than 37 you phone will alert you with a loud warning.

gadgeteer
04-16-2017, 08:43 AM
+1 on FOBO. Had them on my Valk for nearly 2 years. Accurate, responsive and didn't effect wheel balance.
Will be adding them to my F6B.