PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose the F6B?

MooMoo
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I am wanting to get a Sport Tourer and I can not decide between the FJR 1300, Triumph Trophy or the F6B. If I got the F6B it would probably be the 2015 because of the cruise control. If anyone has any experience with the other two would you let me know why you went with the F6B.

Thanks,
Chris

bobbyf6b
11-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I test rode the FJR and it's heavy on the SPORT side of sport-tourer. The F6B is heavy on the TOUR side, so it will be up to you to decide which is more important. I enjoy the comfort of the Wing platform.

XKnight
11-07-2014, 11:51 AM
I chose the F6B because it has great power, excellent handling and was comfortable. I also like the looks and nothing came close to the features at the $15K price point I bought mine at. I wouldn't classify the F6B as a Sport Tourer though. If that's what you're looking for you might not be happy with the F6B. It's a long distance tourer, just like a Goldwing without a trunk.

jaygollner
11-07-2014, 12:17 PM
I bought mine because I always told myself that if Honda ever built an 1800CC fuel injected Valkyrie I would get one. When I saw the F6B and test rode it I was hooked, the day I picked it up I saw a photo of the new Valk but by then the deal was made, it didn't matter though because I prefer the F6B over the new Valkyrie.

motoman
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
I test rode the FJR and it's heavy on the SPORT side of sport-tourer. The F6B is heavy on the TOUR side, so it will be up to you to decide which is more important. I enjoy the comfort of the Wing platform.

:yes:

No way the F6B is in the Sport-Tour category, although I am surprised at how well it handles...

They're all good bikes. Read a lot of good things about the Triumph, just not impressed with the styling...

I already have a Sport bike, so for me, I felt the polarity of the F6B made more sense.

It's comfortable, stable, powerful, smooth and quiet. It does most of the work for you! I get a lot of thinking done while I'm riding. :clap2:

tinkerman
11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
There are so many darrned iterations of bikes now and overlapping segments that I am not convinced anyone can really well define something that doesn't quite fit anywhere. It is defined by the company that manufacturers it as a cruiser and a tourer.

For my 240 lb carcass the FJR's of the world and the Concours's felt way to small and my little lady looked at me with disbelieving eyes when I explained that in a pinch you should be able to go coast to coast on the things.

However, like the storey of goldilocks and the three bears some bikes were just to big (comfortable no doubt) and some bikes were just to uncomfortable, but this damned F6B is just right.

So back to the original post.....why did I choose it?.....it is the biggest darrned ass sport tourer I could find.

LOL

tink

MooMoo
11-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I understand that the F6B is more of a tourer than a sport tourer but I know that it is pretty sporty none the less. I have always liked the FJR and for the price you can't beat them but the looks of the F6B are pretty cool. A few years ago my wife and I flew out to California to visit a friend. While there we rented a Gold Wing and rode up the PCH, not all the way but a good day ride. I liked how the Wing rode but haven't decided I'm old enough for one, yet. However, the F6B is a different beast all together.

Here's a little back ground. I started out on sport bikes and then one day thought I was getting too old for them. Then I had a few cruisers but missed the performance of the sport bikes but not how uncomfortable they are. Now I have a Yamaha Super Tenere and like it for the most part but it has a vibration that I just don't like.

Knowing how comfortable and smooth the Gold Wings are is what has me thinking about the F6B.

On the other hand, the thing I like about the Triumph is that it fits almost perfectly between the F6B and the FJR. However, I have heard about a lot of problems with them and that has me concerned about their reliability.

I think I would really like the F6B because it rides like a cruiser (comfortable) with a lot more performance. I'm just not sure about paying that much for one. Don't get me wrong, I do't mind paying more if I know I will keep it and like it.

Oh well what to do. Thanks for everyones input, so far.

Chris

JBnAZ
11-07-2014, 05:10 PM
I bought it cause I could, mostly on impulse, looked more comfortable than my Kawi C14, and I owned a 2009 Wing which was very nice but the wife get falling asleep on it. All black styling was cool and it would out perform my buds that ride HDs.

Do we need a reason to buy a different bike?

Way less costly than a divorce :lolup:

grendl
11-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I have always enjoyed the sport tourer line line I have a down Concours, I liked( frigging carbureters got me beat for now0 I have and still ride my CBR1000F which is in excellent shape,very fast and I wont part with it.
Then I saw the F6B. I already knew the Gold Wing story but didn't want "all that stuff" on my bike. This is perfect.
I bought it and I love it. Comfortable for long range ,enough Torque to impress at any speed or gear. Handles amazing once it is moving(have to be careful where you park-reverse would be a handy thing) but all in all,this is a great bike.It does everything I wish for and does it very well. Canyon roads,no problem,highway running a breeze.Need a quick increase in MPH,roll it on ! no problem,
It wont outrun my Hurricane on top end but when I need that,I have the Hurricane...Life is excellent !!
Sporty,Long range comfort and drop dead gorgeous and maybe I dont need the speed of my 'cane as much....evry now and then I remember that I am 65:icon_rolleyes:

Old Ryder
11-09-2014, 07:35 AM
It came down to the F6B, Triumph Thunderbird and FJR. Been on Harley's for a long time with a few others over the last 15 years. It came to FJR & B model because the wife rides a lot with me and the Thunderbird was too "basic" considering lots of choices for the money. One of her favorite bikes was a Valkyrie Interstate I had. Loved the drive train but it was way top heavy especially when she was back there and the brakes left a lot to be desired (1999 model). Honda fixed those issues for me and made the F6B where I can afford it.

Case closed.

F6B1911
11-09-2014, 07:43 AM
For me it was a no-brainer. I was looking at a new BMW, but not impressed with the current styling and a recall on the model I was looking at.
I saw the F6B, and pretty much made up my mind 15-seconds after looking at it on the showroom floor.
I got a left over 2013 for $15,995.00, $1,000.00 Bonus Bucks and a 7-year warranty. BMW couldn't come anywhere close to that.
Not to mention the fact that it is the baddest looking bike on the road!

ReserveBum
11-09-2014, 08:16 AM
First new bike in over 20 years, coming off a 2004 Concours.....I had it down to the FJR, with possible Triumph Thunderbird or Concours. Scared away by the reports of the issues with the Thunderbirds, lukewarm on the Connie, I thought the new FJR was a done deal. Loved the new add ons, the color, the price.....then I sat on it at the NY Auto show and got that pinch in my neck between the shoulder blades and I knew I would be fighting that with risers etc. Plus wanted to make the SO happy and I knew she would not enjoy that back seat. So....walked over to the Honda booth, sat on a F6B and........here I am. I made the right call!

DaWadd
11-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Came off a VT 1300 and was looking for a bike that would suit long distance and comfort. Was looking at the Triumph Rocket and tried a few Victory models but after a couple test rides on the F6B I was sold. Just felt right although the Rocket was a good price. No remorse at all.

valkmc
11-09-2014, 03:29 PM
I had a C14 and a 12 Wing in the last few years. I loved both but to me the F6 is right in the middle. Not a sport tourer but but still sporty and not as good for touring as the Wing but can still be used for that. So I have one bike that suits me better and it's cheaper than two. I like all purpose bikes, something that can do lots of things good. Its no C14 or Wing but its close enough to both for me.

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Riding position... the sport-tour bikes have you leaned forward *just* enough to create an uncomfortable pressure on my wrists. I call the F6 a tour-sport.

Styling... the F6 is the sexiest bike on the market IMO, bar-none.

Pedigree... the platform is proven reliable. Want to ride a million miles? No prob.

Ubiquity... parts and service dealers are everywhere (if you ever need one :icon_biggrin:).

bobbyf6b
11-10-2014, 01:36 AM
How about Sport-Cruiser?

I never thought I'd be old enough for a Wing but when they chopped it down I said "Oh yeah. Brilliant!"

srt8-in-largo
11-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Definitely a great cruiser... great tourer... great sporter... cruisportour? :icon_biggrin:

VP8
11-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Hey MooMoo...my previous bike was a FJR1300. It was a great bike... loved the maneuverability, the speed, and it was just skinny enough to split lanes with. Everyone's riding style and needs are different. When I was mostly riding as a commuter and canyon riding on the weekends, the FJR was perfect for me. However, now, I'm more of a touring rider. Not only do I commute on my bike each day, but I also go on weekend or weeklong (or two) motorcycle trips several times a year. This means, I require a bike with large side bags and comfort for long distance riding of up to 800+ miles in a day without being in traction. The F6B fits that bill perfectly... and with the '15 including cruise control... that is even that much better.

I owned the FJR for approximately two years before trading it in for the F6B. During that time, I couldn't really ride more than a 350 mile day because my butt would be super sore (even with my upgraded Sergeant Seat) and my right hand would develop fatigue... even with a throttle lock because I mostly ride in the twisties.

With the FJR, your foot positioning is slightly more to the rear and you are leaning more forward... thus the more aggressive ride... so more weight is applied to your hands/wrists. This of course can be adjusted with helibars or changing the bar positioning as it has two levels of adjustment. The FJR also has two seat height positions for the individual rider... but most people leave it on the low position as that seat height is already at approx. 31". I've had several friends, male and female who sat on my FJR and couldn't reach the ground while the bike was even on it's kick stand.

The F6B's foot position is more to the front... like you are sitting on a seat... so your knees are approximately at a 90 degree bend. Back positioning is straight up, not really leaning back (like a cruiser) or leaning forward like a sport bike (however I would recommend you to lean forward a bit when you first take off on a F6B for the first time because it is very torquey at low gear). What's great about the F6B is you can also install highway pegs to change your foot and seat positioning. You can't install any highway pegs on the FJR...so you will end up standing on your pegs to rest your butt and get some blood flow to your legs.

Like what others have said... the FJR is more of a sport bike and is A LOT faster than the F6B due to it's weight difference. While the F6B is more of a tourer with some really nice passing power.

The F6B is way faster than any cruiser or touring bike on the market due to the 6 cylinders.

Good luck on your choice.

FF-Ed
11-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Saw it. Instantly got a woody for it. bought it.

Jayrock
12-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I loved riding my V Star 1100, put a lot of miles on it during the few years I owned it. But I REALLY wanted to feel the power of a big engine when I twisted the throttle. Was seriously looking at the Victory Cross Country & Vision bikes, I find them both good to look at. But I knew that if I was going to bite the bullet and sink a bunch of money into a new Big Boy Bike, it would have to last a forever. That meant getting the flat 6 engine, but I knew I didn't want the fully dressed Goldwing. Test rode the Black Beauty & loved it. Now I love this bike more every time I get on it. Can't wait until spring to get back on again!

fxdl2051
12-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Chris, depends what you want, I almost went with the fjr, they hold their price and have some nice features. I like the adjustability of the bike in terms of handlebar and seat adjustments. I like the electric ws and adjustable suspension on the 14's and the red is a great looking bike. That said I went with the Honda and have no regrets. It's appears to have roomier saddle bags, is good on the interstate and has megagobs of power and surprisingly competent in the twistiness. I think it has great ergos and comfort out of the box. If you're a short hop sport rider more than distance rider maybe the fjr is a better bike. If the f6 is for you, 10 minutes of saddle time you'll know it. Road test them both, you'll soon see what is for you. Good time to buy, should be dealer incentives on the 14's and not much moving in the winter anyways, balls in your court. Best of luck, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

fxdl2051
12-09-2014, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=MooMoo;53278]Yeah, I understand that the F6B is more of a tourer than a sport tourer but I know that it is pretty sporty none the less. I have always liked the FJR and for the price you can't beat them but the looks of the F6B are pretty cool. A few years ago my wife and I flew out to California to visit a friend. While there we rented a Gold Wing and rode up the PCH, not all the way but a good day ride. I liked how the Wing rode but haven't decided I'm old enough for one, yet. However, the F6B is a different beast all together.

Well that's the majick word, "wife". If you're going to ride two up, the superior seat and size of the f6b wins the debate.

Gumby
12-09-2014, 08:19 PM
I bought mine because I always told myself that if Honda ever built an 1800CC fuel injected Valkyrie I would get one. When I saw the F6B and test rode it I was hooked, the day I picked it up I saw a photo of the new Valk but by then the deal was made, it didn't matter though because I prefer the F6B over the new Valkyrie.

This is exactly why I bought a F6B the minute they came out. I was sad for about half a minute when they came out with the valkyrie a year later, until I saw it. I bought a Valk standard in 2003 and had to buy bags and a sheild for it. This time I bought a valk tourer before the standard even came out. I just wish they would have just called it that. I hate the name F6B. I usually just tell people it's a Gold Wing.

bigbird
12-09-2014, 08:36 PM
I was sad for about half a minute when they came out with the valkyrie a year later, until I saw it.

Did you happen to sit on a '14 Valk?
I thought Honda had made a mistake and forgot the seat padding. I didn't even bother test driving a Valk after 10 seconds sitting on one in the showroom.

carpdm
12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I currently ride a Honda ST1300PA and a Harley Road King Classic. Both great bikes. I didn't really understand the F6B when it first came out. Then just a few weeks ago I sat on one. Now I fear I'm hooked. Really want to ride one but that requires a wait until spring or a winter trip to rent one. We'll see...

Thanks for all the posts on why you purchased.

vstar09
12-09-2014, 08:55 PM
I allways wanted a valk.... rode vtwins for years...it;s the only thing that can out run my ridinng buddies wing...!

Cheesyryder
12-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Did'nt really choose. Took a test ride and traded in my bike on the spot. Impulsive, but happy

opas ride
12-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Had 99 Valk Tourer that I rode for 6 years and got hooked on the flat 6 motor..Wanted a Goldwing, but just could not adjust to the seat height ...After an 05 VTX1800F3, a Victory Kingpin Tour, Victory Vision Tour, I saw the F6B in a dealership and was sold after a short test ride...V-twins are great for what they are, but once you ride a F6B type bike it is hard to go back to the V-twin vibes, etc....at least for me I will stick with Honda....

thunder217
12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Nothing but the look and fit. The other facts about this bike are written in stone. Change the Look and fit and they sold me immediately. :yes:

sshake1905
12-10-2014, 12:58 AM
For the last 50 years, priorities for a new bike were either how fast is it, how cool did it look, and how loud was it....I have long been a big twin rider.....lots of noise, torque, etc.:yikes:..I was young in the 60s...easy rider, dude....but...after youth.... and before death...:shrug:. come change...

At 65 I bought the F6B for many reasons....water cooled, fuel injected, shaft drive, Honda reliability:yes: plus....excellent handling, low center of gravity in the flat six and sub- seat fuel tank..:yes:..very comfortable, especial with Mustang seat.. for an inseam- challenged person like me:icon_frown:

I have owned over 20 bikes....this one is the fastest, smoothest, quietest, most reliable and best handling bike (over 700 lbs)I have ever owned.........and, with some Helibars installed, might even be the most comfortable one....:icon_biggrin:

RoadSurfer
12-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I've been riding a 2008 BMW K1200GT for the past six years. It qualifies as a "sport-tourer." I traded in my 2005 ST1300 for it because of its vastly superior suspension and I still feel certain that no other manufacturer provides a bike with a suspension that comes close. I also owned a 2004 Gold Wing for five years but gave up on it for the same reason I gave up on the ST1300 - its suspension went bust after 20,000 miles (and installing the full Traxxion kit on it only improved its steering precision, not its harshness; the same went for the ST after I swapped out its stock front suspension for a highly touted aftermarket set-up).

I loved the Wing for its many strong points, but the eventual harshness of the suspension became the deal breaker. (Admittedly, the poor quality of the road surfaces up here in Canada was a big factor; if I lived in the US and rode mostly south of the frost line, I might well still have the Wing.)

But now, as I approach my 68th birthday, ergonomic comfort - especially in the knees - is becoming the dominant factor for me. I cannot attach acceptable highway pegs to the BMW but I know that the F6B, because of its slightly narrower lowers, will accept such pegs that will be even more user-friendly than they were on the Wing. I also know from my experience with the Wing that its stock windshield (which can be fitted to the F6B) offers a very quiet and relatively still air pocket at a height that I can still look over.

So the F6B should be a no-brainer for me. ...If only I could have more confidence in the longevity of its suspension quality....

valkmc
12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
My last three bikes were 98 Valkyrie Standard, 10 C-14, and a 12 Wing. I think this bike F6B has the best of each of them. The look like the Valk, Sporty like the C-14, and touring Like the wing. Not as good as any of them in each thing buy close to each and a wide range of what's it is good at.

red dog
12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
torque,horsepower,roll on power on the free way for passing any thing,comfort,reliability.....motorcycle jambs across the desert,jams up the mountain passes,cuts real nice through the canyons for such a big bike....so glad I bought this bike....cant say enough about how much I love this machiene!!!!!friend who rides with us just purchased a brand new bmw 1600 gt,his health is not very good, so how much he rides remains to be seen.....ill keep the forumposted in regard to reliability issues he encounters with his bike for comparison.....two days ago I rode my f6b 325 miles out for a day ride,when I got home I felt great,easy smooth fast ride......perfect platform for me.....depends on what you are looking for in a motorcycle......to each his own,as they say......ride it hard and put it away dirty....later

leroysch
12-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Styling caught my eye first, felt right sitting on it in the showroom, and looking for a different riding experience than sticking with the HD touring offerings.

Old Ryder
12-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Had 99 Valk Tourer that I rode for 6 years and got hooked on the flat 6 motor.....

Did it look like this? I always got a kick doing the nickel show in front of my Harley buddies. :icon_wink:

MarcPW
12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
I used to ride a GoldWing back in the days (1200 and 1500), in Europe. I knew on day I will get a GoldWing again, did not know when. And then the F6 came out and when I saw the beautiful design and look of that bagger, I knew I could not wait any longer... Loved the rear end of this monster, like some american car used to have, just love it !

53driver
12-14-2014, 07:26 PM
I always got a kick doing the nickel show in front of my Harley buddies. :icon_wink:

What's the nickel show?

Old Ryder
12-14-2014, 07:37 PM
What's the nickel show?

Stand up some nickels on the head and start the engine. Been around for years--- probably works on the B also if you want to impress your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4bwrnQAVxU

Massimo
12-15-2014, 06:04 AM
It was time to change. After years of Harley and useless dreams, it's time to wake up.

53driver
12-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Stand up some nickels on the head and start the engine. Been around for years--- probably works on the B also if you want to impress your friends.
Ahhh, yes. I remember that now. Thanks.