PDA

View Full Version : New Darkside views from Road and Track

Big Dawg
11-13-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/why-so-called-darksiders-prefer-auto-tires-on-their-motorcycles?src=soc_fcbks

Hornblower
11-13-2014, 11:22 AM
:icon_goodpost:, Big Dawg :clap2:

opas ride
11-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Interesting article and some good points to consider..As for me I will remain with Motorcycle tires for now until more data and quality research is done on Automobile tires on bikes..I don't ride with my bike loaded up, longer trips are no more, and things are working for me now the way they are...I like the idea of greater mileage on CT's and MT's are way to damn expensive for the wear you get...JMHO!!

DMAGOLDRDR
11-13-2014, 02:32 PM
I have posted my "Darkside" experience and opinions in other threads here on the F6B Forum as well as other Forums and must say that this Forum here seems to be the most civilized in the "Darkside" discussion. I have well over Ten Thousand miles with a Car Tire on one of my Motorcycles and will say it all depends upon what your expectations are. I have multiple bikes and only have a CT on the one because the others just don't work well or will not benefit from a CT.

Ride safe and enjoy.

I spent most of my money on women and motorcycles, the rest I just wasted!!!

bigbird
11-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Before I draw any conclusions, I would have to drive a 'B with a DS tire installed over a route I am familiar with.

I do know that the owner of the dealership that I bought my 'B from also owns a GL1800 and is a master tech, both automotive and motorcycle.
He installs many car tires at his small rural shop, and has also done many Goldwing tires over the years.
When I mentioned a DS tire, he pleaded with me not to even consider it. He said they are just plain unsafe if you drive a motorcycle the way a motorcycle is designed to be driven.
He drives his GL1800 fast and hard. I do have reason to believe him.

jkelley
11-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Read a lot on the subject before I decided most comments are skewed one way or the other with very little fact, and mostly uninformed opinion behind them.

I decided to try it for myself and form my own opinion and stopped listening to the argument either way.

I have found on this bike I do like the Michelin run flat on the rear. Maybe not for everyone, or probably not some other bikes.

But I am satisfied with my personal experience. I often ride pretty hard here in the mountains. I have no negative comments, and would like to add I did not do it to save money, or gain mileage I did it simply to see what all of the discussion either way was about and to gather the facts for myself. Logically to me having a run flat on the rear makes sense, if there are no real negatives then to me it's worth it.

I find it interesting people get so worked up over issues like this. Do it if you want! If you don't, then don't. I can't understand arguing over it. Like helmets. I always wear one but I sure as hell aint gonna tell everyone else to wear one. If you don't and get your grey matter mashed that your choice, and I respect that. Might not agree with it but the choice is yours.

DMAGOLDRDR
11-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Before I draw any conclusions, I would have to drive a 'B with a DS tire installed over a route I am familiar with.

I do know that the owner of the dealership that I bought my 'B from also owns a GL1800 and is a master tech, both automotive and motorcycle.
He installs many car tires at his small rural shop, and has also done many Goldwing tires over the years.
When I mentioned a DS tire, he pleaded with me not to even consider it. He said they are just plain unsafe if you drive a motorcycle the way a motorcycle is designed to be driven.
He drives his GL1800 fast and hard. I do have reason to believe him.

I will say "in my opinion" that taking someone elses bike for a ride with a CT will NOT help you in your decision!!!! Also, if you are truly that skeptical then I would advise you to stay away from car tires. They work for some of us but as I said, it depends on your expectations and what you really want out of your tires.

coffee_weasle
11-13-2014, 03:35 PM
i read the article. the author stated some riders were "ticketed" for dark-side tire(s).

my question is, where (what states/municipalities) do the police write tickets for this?

bigbird
11-13-2014, 04:15 PM
i read the article. the author stated some riders were "ticketed" for dark-side tire(s).

my question is, where (what states/municipalities) do the police write tickets for this?

Illegal for sure in Great Britain and maybe some other EU countries.

shooter
11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Read a lot on the subject before I decided most comments are skewed one way or the other with very little fact, and mostly uninformed opinion behind them.

I decided to try it for myself and form my own opinion and stopped listening to the argument either way.

I have found on this bike I do like the Michelin run flat on the rear. Maybe not for everyone, or probably not some other bikes.

But I am satisfied with my personal experience. I often ride pretty hard here in the mountains. I have no negative comments, and would like to add I did not do it to save money, or gain mileage I did it simply to see what all of the discussion either way was about and to gather the facts for myself. Logically to me having a run flat on the rear makes sense, if there are no real negatives then to me it's worth it.

I find it interesting people get so worked up over issues like this. Do it if you want! If you don't, then don't. I can't understand arguing over it. Like helmets. I always wear one but I sure as hell aint gonna tell everyone else to wear one. If you don't and get your grey matter mashed that your choice, and I respect that. Might not agree with it but the choice is yours.
Well said.

opas ride
11-13-2014, 05:08 PM
If our tax dollars are going to train some law enforcement types on how to tell whether or not some person has a CT on the rear of a bike instead of a MT, parked or moving, then we are in "deeper sh*#!!...than I thought...I hope this is not the case in the USA, but nothing surprises me anymore.....Big Bro is "watching".....Regards

bob109
11-13-2014, 06:37 PM

Lacking any difinitive information as to where, who and when a ticket was written, falls into the category of "Gibberish" better known as "Bull $hit".

Been Dark Siding for a number of years and my bikes have been registered in Pa. which requires a yearly safety inspection. I carry a copy of the PA. Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bag to insure I have official documentation which clearly states "A DOT Tire on a DOT approved rim". Both my Car Tire and OEM F6B rim are clearly marked as such. Should a Official Motorcycle Inspection Station refuse to inspect my bike I pull out the data. That usually ends any arguments. If the Station still refuses to inspect my machine I would take it elsewhere. Never had that happen!

Texas TC
11-13-2014, 07:11 PM
I have been fascinated with dark side riding for several years. I have never talked to a dark sider that is disappointed in there decision to go in that direction. To this point though, I have not taken that step. I get really good performance and mileage out of my Stones and have a source that sells them to me at cost so I continue on the traditional motorcycle tire path. Maybe some day I will give it a try.

Deer Slayer
11-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Hey Dawg, blind hog gets an acorn, :icon_goodpost::cheers:

Darren
11-14-2014, 01:34 PM
I've been reading the darkside comments on this and many other forums, but always been reluctant to try myself since watching a number of youtube videos would suggest that it provokes under steer. I read the article above and the comments contained in it and want to add this from a UK non-profit safety organization http://trafficsafe.org/index.php/trafficsafe-investigates-riding-on-the-dark-side-1683/

bigbird
11-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Makes sense to me why car tires on motorcycles are illegal in some parts of the world. I have no plans to use a CT on my motorcycle.

Old Ryder
11-16-2014, 08:06 AM
The biggest issue that I have is that most of the critics have never had one on their bike, but love to tell you why you shouldn't ride on one. I had one on my 1800 VTX for a while before I traded the bike. I may try it again because the VTX may not be the best platform. I will say that I was never very comfortable on it, but that is just me.

To each his own.

Deer Slayer
11-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Nothing worse than residing in an old age home pondering the past and saying, " Damn, wish I had tried that.":yikes:

bob109
11-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Wonder if the critics were faced with a shortage of MT's and their only option was using a CT or not riding at all! I'm sure that there may be some re-evaluation and "soul searching" as to try the Dark Side:shhh:

Pap
11-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Lacking any difinitive information as to where, who and when a ticket was written, falls into the category of "Gibberish" better known as "Bull $hit".

Been Dark Siding for a number of years and my bikes have been registered in Pa. which requires a yearly safety inspection. I carry a copy of the PA. Motorcycle Inspection Criterion in my saddle bag to insure I have official documentation which clearly states "A DOT Tire on a DOT approved rim". Both my Car Tire and OEM F6B rim are clearly marked as such. Should a Official Motorcycle Inspection Station refuse to inspect my bike I pull out the data. That usually ends any arguments. If the Station still refuses to inspect my machine I would take it elsewhere. Never had that happen!

I had a dealership here in Kittanning, Pa that would not pass my bike because of my 275 CT on the back of my M109r. He asked to take it for a trip around the parking lot to see how it felt. When he came back around he said he didn't like it because he thought it felt "weird" and would not put a sticker on it. This same dealership sells the popular 3-wheeled Motorcycles. Take one of them for a first-time ride, see if your first impression is that they feel "weird".
No problem though. I took it to a dealer 1 mile away and it was passed, no problem.
My "Experience/opinion" of using a car tire is that they are better than the MC tire for traction, wear and ride comfort. My CT did feel different from the MC tire due to the width. It would want to follow the ruts in heavily rutted streets due to the wide, flat surface. I could live with that. It took all of 15 minutes ride time to acclimate to that.
It would cut the twisties like any other bike tire. I could break the MC tire loose on turns if I wanted to play around a bit. I could not break the CT loose, no matter how hard I was willing to try. ( I'm a bit crazy, but I have my limit!):icon_twisted:
I went with the CT for economic reasons. the replacement MC tire for my 10" rim was over $300.00. I got 4000 miles on that tire. The car tire was $200.00 and when I sold the bike for the F6B, it had over 3 times the mileage of the MC tire and was still good enough to ride another season.
When the stock rear goes on this bike, I will not hesitate to go with a CT. Just MHO.

hiflyer
11-16-2014, 01:31 PM
So check out the front and rear tires on this Harley. Those are "motorcycle tires" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYVjlDGzt7A

FF-Ed
11-16-2014, 03:12 PM
I could break the MC tire loose on turns if I wanted to play around a bit. I could not break the CT loose, no matter how hard I was willing to try. ( I'm a bit crazy, but I have my limit!):icon_twisted:

now you've got me thinking....

I've had the front wheel off the ground a couple of times (a few inches)...

Normally my stock tire breaks loose rather than hefting the bike up...

So, wonder if a CT would hook up and yank her up high???

The idea of a CT on a bike was foreign to me, but hmmm

Pap
11-16-2014, 03:56 PM
now you've got me thinking....

I've had the front wheel off the ground a couple of times (a few inches)...

Normally my stock tire breaks loose rather than hefting the bike up...

So, wonder if a CT would hook up and yank her up high???

The idea of a CT on a bike was foreign to me, but hmmm

From my experience with the 109, yes. I could bring the front end up much easier with the CT on.
Put one on and let us know!:077: