PDA

View Full Version : Hit my first deer...in my car

Cool Hand Luke
11-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Well, it had to happen sometime, I guess.

I was driving this morning on two lane road towards I-95 on my way from SC to FL. I was going around 55mph. It was sunny, calm, no clouds and no rain.

It just happened in split second. The deer literally came out of nowhere. The eye witness later told me the deer was running full force from my left side exactly perpendicular to my vehicle. It was just one deer, no herd. So a good size buck hit my vehicle exactly in front on driver's side.

I felt the impact, the eye witness later told me I threw this buck about 10-15 feet up in the air. I was lucky as the deer could have gone thru my windshield and really hurt me. I was not hurt, just shaken by the experience.

My vehicle got strongly damaged. An eye witness, a gentleman in a pickup truck coming the opposite direction stopped and helped me. He pulled all the broken plastic, glass and some metal as to free up my front wheel and I was able to slowly drive car back home.
Here are the pictures after the crash:

Here is my car after being cleaned up of debris and rigged so I can drive back home:

And here is the deer that met it's unfortunate and early demise:

So, why I am posting this on the motorcycle forum?

If I was on my bike I would have been dead for sure. I probably would have been badly hurt if I was in my little convertible, Toyota MR2 Spyder, too. This vehicle has protected me and even got me back home.

Events like this really bring to light the risks we assume every time we get behind the handlebars. There was no reaction time, literally nothing could have been done here. I've came across deer before when I was able to slow down or stop, but this time the kamikazi deer was unstoppable.

So, I'm sitting in my family room, thinking about how fast everything happened, reevaluating my riding habits. I love riding, but I also love my wife and kids immeasurably more. Is my passion worth the risk like this? Events like these cannot be prevented if happened again.

I'm not sure yet what I would do. I would definitely try to learn from this experience. Maybe ride slower in these areas, always wear all protective gear no matter what, pay even more attention to my left and right, etc. But ultimately, this kind of situation is unavoidable.

It definitely makes me think about my life, family, future, God etc. I must have done something good in my life as I was spared today. I must have some unfinished work still left to do.

I do want to continue to ride. Just not right away. I think.

Hornblower
11-14-2014, 06:42 PM
First of all...glad you're OK! My take is simply this...we can't stop doing the things we love because something MIGHT happen. What kind of life would that be? No, it just so happens that those of us who love to ride are engaged in a dangerous sport. And, it will bite us from time-to-time. I've been riding almost 50 years and I have certainly paid my dues along the way and I realize that I may have to pay even more. This is my mission and I choose to accept it (insert Mission Impossible theme here). Ride safe, you all!

53driver
11-14-2014, 06:49 PM
I nailed a deer in my van a few years back. Threw him, killed him. Totaled the van ('93 Quest - not much value).
Got it functionally repaired anyway - more value to me as the dog van than anything else.

I took stock of my riding skills, thought how I could have possibly prevented it and there was no way....the deer literally jumped off a 4 ft rise right into the road at 0230 on a VERY dark night. I was able to drive away after some prying of parts. I reflected for a day or two, wondering why one of God's creatures was sacrificed to my van. Like you, wondered about the truly important things. But in the end, living life is what we owe our Maker and ourselves. Sure, mitigate risk, wear PPE, put some extra lights on during "two-lane-riding-on-dark-and-stormy-nights" and as we get older, realize our eyes and reflexes aren't what they used to be. But staying in bed 24/7/365 ain't the answer either.

Take a few days, chill, shake off the "heebie-jeebies."
Reset.
Resume.
A bit wiser, very slightly older, and ready to make good decisions.

Cheers,
Steve

Cool Hand Luke
11-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks Hornblower!

I agree with you. I definitely want to live my life to the fullest. I am still shook up from it. I don't know why but I decided to take my bigger vehicle today and that saved me. Let's just chalk it up to divine intervention this time.

Let all of us be safe on the road.

Cool Hand Luke
11-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks Steve!

I'm glad you survived OK as well. I think what I hate about this is the feeling of helplessness. There was nothing I could do, all the years of experience didn't help. The only usefull thing was the choice of vehicle I made.

I think it also matters at what stage in life a person is. I still have young kids to take care of. I probably have another good 20 years ahead of me to work.

I never did live in fear. I'm just reflecting on what happened, trying to make some sense of it.

naga viper
11-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Luke I can relate to you Myself, my brother and my uncle ALL had the Suicide deer effect.
First me brother had a buck jump a cliff and land on front fender. major damage to nightrain. banged up good but was looked over as he had no helmet. and only a small patch of hair smaller than a dime was missing bike totaled quit riding a fer years later.
I was coming home from work first day after switching from night shift had a doe run full speed out of creek into my ribcage.I still rember the look in deers eye before hitting. I stayed up but pulled over I got wind knocked out of me. when I could breath again I went back to stomp some azz. but she was gone. PS that deer went 2 miles and died I found her two days later with blood coming out her nose and the skin ripped off where she hit me I wasn't so mad then. I rode home and then went to hospital I was hurting after the 30 mile trip. I was forced not to ride for months.but traded for a different bike I believe the harmonics were affecting animals I had hit a turkey ,deer, woodchuck and chipmunk. I told my family I would not give up something I was so passionate about for the what if's. and a little over one year ago lost uncle to same kind of crazy deer and I had to tell everyone again If it happens to me I am sorry but dying of cancer would be worse. ONLY you can decide what is best for you.

Cool Hand Luke
11-14-2014, 09:36 PM
Wow, that's quite an experience, I'm sorry for your uncle, glad you and your brother lived through it. That's what I was thinking, what if I was riding my F6B or my HD today, I wouldn't have survived that impact. I don't want to hurt the people I love, like my wife and kids, if I leave this life prematurely. On the other hand I believe one should live the life to it's fullest, whatever that means to each of us. I'm just glad I chose the vehicle I did for today.

I hate feeling helpless and not in control. I worked hard to get to where I am, I own my business for the past 14 years. I constantly have to get out of my comfort zone in order to succeed and take chances, albeit calculated ones. But today's experience taught me the humility and even greater respect for the open road and the sport of motorcycling I love. With so many variables involved one can sometimes simply relly on nothing more but luck.

When talking to people who don't ride I often encounter resistance. They don't understand why we do it. But I 'get it', and I'm glad I do. I think my life has been enriched by riding all these years.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

75tsiegel
11-15-2014, 09:37 AM
[Glad you're OK doc. Had a similar experience heading to Yellowstone in 89'. A buddy and I were trailering our motorcycles and hit a dear. Took the bikes off the trailer and headed to the Wisconsin Dells for the night and the truck was fixed the next day and made it to Yellowstone. Take care and give your wife and kids an extra hug today. Hope to talk to you soon again. Tom (chiro in WI.)

Cool Hand Luke
11-15-2014, 10:00 AM
[Glad you're OK doc. Had a similar experience heading to Yellowstone in 89'. A buddy and I were trailering our motorcycles and hit a dear. Took the bikes off the trailer and headed to the Wisconsin Dells for the night and the truck was fixed the next day and made it to Yellowstone. Take care and give your wife and kids an extra hug today. Hope to talk to you soon again. Tom (chiro in WI.)

Hey Tom, nice to hear from you again! I was on my way to FL as I just opened another clinic there two weeks ago. So, one in Aiken for 14 years and two in St. Pete ( firts one going on 4 years). I guess work can kill you, ha!

I hope you're doing great! Let me know if you ever come down here on vacation etc., I'd love to meet you in person.

53driver
11-15-2014, 10:22 AM
...I was on my way to FL as I just opened another clinic there two weeks ago. So, one in Aiken for 14 years and two in St. Pete

Uh...could one of you please open a clinic in the greater Philadelphia area? I am in dire need of an "adjustment."
Thanks,
Steve

Cool Hand Luke
11-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Uh...could one of you please open a clinic in the greater Philadelphia area? I am in dire need of an "adjustment."
Thanks,
Steve

Too cold for me...:yikes:

Actually, we fly to Philly when visiting my sister in law who lives in Medford Lakes NJ. My wife and I met at Rutgers, New Brunswick NJ. I love visiting New Hope PA area when we're there.

The older I get the more South I want to be. I hope to move to FL within the next five years.

SCMike
11-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Just glad to hear you're OK, Luke.
Take some time. Thank God. Give me a call, and we'll put deer whistles on your bike and ride into the mountains.:icon_biggrin:

Yeahoo Whoyah
11-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I suppose we all have deer stories if we've got some miles behind us. One in my experience that is out of the ordinary - around 2005 I was riding home along side of my friend who just purchased a brand new Yamaha FJR 1300 that very day from a dealer about 70-miles away. About two miles from my home he went off towards his house and I continued alone to mine. It was just after sunset. When I got home I decided, as I often do when riding with someone, to call and make sure he got home safely. Well, he got home, but struck a deer just after we split up. Fortunately the damage was mostly all to the bike, he was shaken up but ok. Not a good way to break in a bike!

Deer Slayer
11-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Glad you are ok Luke. There are some things one has no control of. I never wanted to kill two deer with Goldwings. God is always in charge. BILL....

Cool Hand Luke
11-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Just glad to hear you're OK, Luke.
Take some time. Thank God. Give me a call, and we'll put deer whistles on your bike and ride into the mountains.:icon_biggrin:

Hi SCMike, nice to hear from you! Yes, I'll give it a little time to recuperate, good thing its pretty chilly out right now anyway.

I read a lot about deer whistles over the years. Not sure if they work, some articles actually suggest they may attract deer.

I guess I just have to be more careful, but ultimately I hope my luck doesn't run out...

glryder98
11-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Well I never hit a deer, BUT I did hit and killed a bear on I-40 in 2012. 5 broken ribs, punctured lung and totaled out Goldwing. (that's how I got my F6B) Just search the internet for Bearman, That's me