PDA

View Full Version : SuperBrace review!

bobbyf6b
11-19-2014, 11:31 PM
I won a SuperBrace fork brace in an online poker contest put on by the company, and I installed it today with high anticipation. I was a bit skeptical at how much of a difference it would make in my handling, but I'm pleasantly surprised! At highway speed I could (before) wiggle my bars and feel a bit of a wobble in the bike. Now it feels much better. The wobble is almost non existent. Turning in corners feels much tighter, if that makes sense. The bike feels like it's on rails. I can "flick" it back and forth like a sport bike (feels more rigid). That stability will really be nice when changing lanes in traffic, and on long, fast sweeping curves.

I give it :yes::yes: and would definitely recommend it. Anything that I add to the bike and actually feel a positive difference is worth the money.

If you're on the fence about getting one, just get it. It is super easy to install and looks great on the bike too.

Thanks SuperBrace! I really like it! :icon_mrgreen:

christian52
11-20-2014, 05:00 AM
thanks for this......i purchased one and cant wait to put it on in the spring!

Old Ryder
11-20-2014, 08:42 AM
It is on my list. :yes:

bigbird
11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Anybody directly compare the SuperBrace to the Kury, in terms of installation, stiffness, and stiction?

XKnight
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
It is on my list. :yes:

Make sure you also look at the other fork braces available (Kury and Traxxion) for comparison. They are a different design and while they all do the same thing there is quite a bit of debate on which version is better. After researching all the options I decided on a Kury fork brace.

XKnight
11-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Anybody directly compare the SuperBrace to the Kury, in terms of installation, stiffness, and stiction?

I researched the issue before deciding on a Kury fork brace. The potential stiction issue with the Superbrace based on its one piece design is what led me to Kury. Traxxion's fork brace is based on the original multi piece Kury design which they believed to be a superior design.

Deerhunter
11-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Turning in corners feels much tighter, if that makes sense. The bike feels like it's on rails.

I miss that, having come from a tuned CBR1000RR to the F6B. This is the review that has me ordering one. Will do the research on manufacturer.

bobbyf6b
11-20-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't understand why a two piece or five piece brace would be any different once they're bolted on. Then they're both solid.

VP8
11-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Anything is going to be more stable than the stock plastic thingy. :icon_doh: I really noticed a difference after my Superbrace install as well. Love it!!!

Random Factor
11-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't understand why a two piece or five piece brace would be any different once they're bolted on. Then they're both solid.

I believe the concern is that there may be some slight variance (surely not much!) in the distance between the fork tubes at that location from bike to bike. The 2 piece super brace would seem to force the tubes to conform to it's dimensions where the 5 piece units adjust to whatever distance the fork tubes actually are at the time of installation.

While that may or may not be an actual issue with 2 piece units, it certainly won't be with a 5 piece unit. That is why I went with the Kury model.

Edit to add: The fork brace combined with Helibars makes it a whole different front end as far as handling goes. Best thing I have done to mine.

edgeman55
11-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I researched the issue before deciding on a Kury fork brace. The potential stiction issue with the Superbrace based on its one piece design is what led me to Kury. Traxxion's fork brace is based on the original multi piece Kury design which they believed to be a superior design.

Thats why I went with the Superbrace over the others the one piece design.Less parts to come loose hence a stiffer design.As far as stiction mine has been on for 9K and there is none-nada.I'm a big boy in the high 300's and it really improved the front end feel and over all handlig of my bike.:yes:

XKnight
11-20-2014, 05:13 PM

The difference has to do with potential stiction not stability. 5 piece design provides for less possibility of stiction. Both do the same thing and are solid and stable. One is just more prone to stiction issues. That being said, many folks have installed the 2 piece design and are perfectly happy with it. I always take the more cautious approach and decided on the 5 piece design. Price and performance are comparable.

bobbyf6b
11-20-2014, 06:30 PM
I believe the concern is that there may be some slight variance (surely not much!) in the distance between the fork tubes at that location from bike to bike. The 2 piece super brace would seem to force the tubes to conform to it's dimensions where the 5 piece units adjust to whatever distance the fork tubes actually are at the time of installation.

Ok. That makes sense. Mine seemed to fit perfectly so I'm not going to worry about it.

Hornblower
11-20-2014, 06:50 PM
My 2-piece Superbrace works perfectly with no added stiction. In a comparison test, the fork action was identical with and without the brace.

gray rider
11-20-2014, 08:03 PM
As stated a couple of other places in here the Superbrace alleviated the stiction in my fork making it much more compliant, transferring less road shock into my chronically sore hands.

Limoles
11-21-2014, 01:14 AM
It is device , which is very useful in all heavy bikes and should be installed already by factory . Strongly recommended !!!

christian52
11-21-2014, 04:18 AM
i love how these threads bring out all the anal people who just have to one up the original post.....ive had superbrace on previous wings ive owned....older 1500 models as well as a few sport bikes and have always been pleased with the result.my point?something is better than nothing so its basically an apples vs. oranges thing...again,thanks for the review!!

Steve 0080
11-21-2014, 07:13 AM
i love how these threads bring out all the anal people who just have to one up the original post.....ive had superbrace on previous wings ive owned....older 1500 models as well as a few sport bikes and have always been pleased with the result.my point?something is better than nothing so its basically an apples vs. oranges thing...again,thanks for the review!!

A fork brace is a fork brace.... Not sure how how a number of parts could make one better or worse...I would think the more parts, to a point, would make for a more custom fit....

Ridlikhel
11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
And striction is What???

53driver
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
And striction is What???
Thanks for asking - I meant to ask too....

striction:
The act of constricting, or the state of being constricted.

Okay...I got the definition, but now what exactly are talking about with regards to the bike and what exactly are we concerned about being constricted?

TIA,
Steve

bobbyf6b
11-21-2014, 09:37 AM
And striction is What???

Stiction is static friction. (I looked it up) Basically if the forks aren't straight they will bind up.

Deerhunter
11-21-2014, 09:58 AM
They were referring to stiction - "Stiction is the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact. The term is a portmanteau of the term "static friction", perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick"".

Binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork. This would result, as was just said, in a slight bend.

XKnight
11-21-2014, 10:40 AM
A fork brace is a fork brace.... Not sure how how a number of parts could make one better or worse...I would think the more parts, to a point, would make for a more custom fit....

Traxxion is considered an expert in motorcycle suspension performance parts. The quote below is from the Traxxion website regarding the design of their fork which is based on the original Kury design. This statement from Traxxion is the reason I did not purchase a 2 piece fork brace.

The Traxxion Dynamics GL1800 Fork Brace is designed and manufactured to increase the rigidity of the steering of the GL1800 without creating any additional stiction in the forks. Our fork brace is designed with special slotted centering holes so its impossible to put the forks into a bind when installed properly. With a common two-piece design, it is impossible to allow for machining and assembly tolerances which can lead to very high levels of stiction, poor suspension feel, worn bushings, and premature fork seal leaks. You will have less flex at parking lot speeds and additional stability on the highway.

opas ride
11-21-2014, 10:42 AM
They were referring to stiction - "Stiction is the static friction that needs to be overcome to enable relative motion of stationary objects in contact. The term is a portmanteau of the term "static friction", perhaps also influenced by the verb "stick"".

Basically, binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork.

How does one insure that this"stiction" does not happen when you install the fork brace...Again I am confused as what is the best way to go, if at all....A trusted tech of mine, years of working on Honda GW's, says I really don't need one on the F6B as I only ride one-up, no luggage and not a very aggressive style rider...As a result I would probably not notice much advantage over the long run...???

Steve 0080
11-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Traxxion is considered an expert in motorcycle suspension performance parts. The quote below is from the Traxxion website regarding the design of their fork which is based on the original Kury design. This statement from Traxxion is the reason I did not purchase a 2 piece fork brace.

Did you expect Traxxion to say the Kury was better ????

XKnight
11-21-2014, 11:05 AM
How does one insure that this"stiction" does not happen when you install the fork brace...Again I am confused as what is the best way to go, if at all....A trusted tech of mine, years of working on Honda GW's, says I really don't need one on the F6B as I only ride one-up, no luggage and not a very aggressive style rider...As a result I would probably not notice much advantage over the long run...???

You definitely don't need one, especially based on your riding style. No one actually needs a fork brace on a F6B, it's just one of those relatively cheap bolt ons that some of us enjoy adding for a little better handling, particularly in slow speed maneuvers. Some riders don't even notice any change with the fork brace while others do. It's one of those things that works well for some and not for others.

As for installation, I just followed the instructions that came with mine and checked for stiction afterwards.

53driver
11-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Basically, binding of the fork. Imagine if the brace was not dimensionally correct so that when installed it tended to push or pull laterally on the fork.

Copy. So I am assuming that the advocates of the 5 piece system are saying because it has more pieces, it should be able to fit better, theoretically preventing the stiction issue better than a 2 piece system.

I can see that logic applying if I wanted to put a brace on my '95 Heritage that has never had a brace on it and might be a bit off-kilter. But for a new bike? Probably not so much.
Thanks,
Steve

XKnight
11-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Did you expect Traxxion to say the Kury was better ????

Yes, that's what they are saying. Traxxion designed their fork brace based on the 5 piece Kury design. They use to sell the Kury Brace and then developed their own similar brace. They are saying a 2 piece design is more prone to stiction issues. In affect, they are validating that the Kury design is superior to a 2 piece design.

Deerhunter
11-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Your tech friend is probably correct. As far as avoidance, it will need to come first from the manufacturer and the aforementioned tolerances.

Copy. So I am assuming that the advocates of the 5 piece system are saying because it has more pieces, it should be able to fit better, theoretically preventing the stiction issue better than a 2 piece system.

I'll need a closer look but there may be an install procedure that could help, or hinder, as well. This is particularly true as the number of bolts increases. My initial thought was that a brace was going to be a bitch to install and then I learned it came in two pieces. I was a bit skeptical even about the two piece design but bobbyf6b's review has made me want to give one a try.

opas ride
11-21-2014, 01:11 PM
You definitely don't need one, especially based on your riding style. No one actually needs a fork brace on a F6B, it's just one of those relatively cheap bolt ons that some of us enjoy adding for a little better handling, particularly in slow speed maneuvers. Some riders don't even notice any change with the fork brace while others do. It's one of those things that works well for some and not for others.

As for installation, I just followed the instructions that came with mine and checked for stiction afterwards.

Thanks for the reply and I have no intention of opening another "can of worms" about a fork brace...As you stated if you want one and it works for you do it!!..If one feels they do not want/need one, like myself, I will ride my F6B as is and enjoy it...I will probably give this bike to my son in a couple of years and he then can do as he wants.....Regards and ride safe

motozeke
11-22-2014, 12:32 PM
I've had a Superbrace installed for over 10K miles. The improvement in handling and feel was immediate and I've had no issues since the install. Fork braces make sense for this bike, for sure.

Ray H
11-22-2014, 05:17 PM
My vote goes to the SuperBrace, at least in my case. I installed one due to my home location. I live almost a mile down a gravel road with three narrow 90 degree turns and a 10 mph speed limit. All of those items work against a large heavy motorcycle especially with a pair of rather large riders aboard. In my case, the SuperBrace made a big difference in stability and worth the dollars. Each case may be different depending on the rider, their style of riding, and their environment.

SoCal Rich
12-14-2014, 01:56 PM

How does one check for stiction?

gray rider
12-14-2014, 08:08 PM
On mine, if you sat on the bike and compressed the fork it would stay compressed until you rocked the bike backwards to unload the fork. As I've stated elsewhere in here, this made the front fork act like it was ridged, transferring all the road impacts straight into the bars and my arthritic hands. The Superbrace install corrected this and made the ride tolerable although not as nice as several of my other bikes.

bobbyf6b
12-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Well I like the Superbrace on my F6B so much that I ordered one for my Sportster. Can't wait to put it on!

db24
12-15-2014, 10:10 AM
10,000 miles with the SuperBrace, and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't add it. If you have ever found yourself in a tight curve at a little higher speed than you needed, you'll appreciate the added stability. Think of your car without sway bars...

One caution: while this is a ten minute add-on, follow the directions! If you don't bounce the front end a little to let the brace seat before you tighten everything down properly, you will get a wobble you didn't want. Everything needs to be straight and tight. If you don't like the first results, just loosen the bolts and try again.