PDA

View Full Version : Solo Seat

Bunny
11-21-2014, 12:20 PM
hi everyone. . . i am thinking of replacing my seat with a solo seat - i only ride by myself never with a passenger. what are your comments on this and if anyone has this do you have more room for storage, or is it better just to leave the seat as is and when travelling with a luggage bag is it best to tie it down on the passenger seat area. Before i decide to do anything i would like to hear your comments. Corbin has a solo seat and where the passenger seat area was they have made extra storage. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Bunny

opas ride
11-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I never ride two-up as my wife does not ride and I cannot remember the last time I had someone on the rear seat area...As I may give this bike to my son in a of couple years I did not want to give up the chance for him to have his wife/kids not have a seat to use....I went with the Mustang seat and really love the thing as it is much lower than stock and gives me greater control at stops and slower speeds...JMHO....Ride safe...I think Corbin makes a nice solo seat if that is really what you want...

53driver
11-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I have the Corbin heated Smuggler seat with the trunk thingy and I really like it. The extra "storage" space is good for gloves, owner's manual, bungee cords, very light jacket, and other small bits that could get easily lost in the saddlebags. It is by no means "storage" - more like a glorified glove box.

I reposted a few pics below....first one is the stock seat with the T-Bag on the rear seat, wrapped around the backrest, and providing me with a backrest. The MP3 lugggage rack and the nice Kury rollaway suitcase is attached. Next is the Smuggler with the lid open, and lastly, 4 standard wine bottles will fit into the "glove box." Note there is a bit more room on the right than on the left as you look at the picture.

I will switch back to the stock seat when I need serious luggage capacity.
The Smuggler does NOT permit use of the MP3 luggage rack and consequently, the nice bag I have to go with it, nor may I affix my T-Bag to the Smuggler - needs a backrest.

So, if you OFTEN need more storage than the stock saddlebags and a big glove box can provide, I would not recommend the Smuggler.
I only make a few big trips each year and while switching back and forth between the stock configuration and the Corbin is not difficult, it is not "recreational."
I plan on keeping my Smuggler on unless I absolutely have to go with big luggage.

Hope this helps.
Steve

DaWadd
11-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Yup, Corbin Smuggler is your only choice for a solo seat. Those are SWEET. :banana:

VP8
11-21-2014, 10:45 PM
I wish the smuggler would allow you to still keep the handle rails. I use the hand rails to place the bike on the center stand.

DaWadd
11-22-2014, 07:17 AM
I wish the smuggler would allow you to still keep the handle rails. I use the hand rails to place the bike on the center stand.

That's a good point, never thought of that issue.

ReserveBum
11-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Like the "Coppola" but have grown away from the "Yellow Tail"

53driver
11-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Like the "Coppola" but have grown away from the "Yellow Tail"
When an American/Canadian Company bought Yellow Tail , their quality went down markedly.
I have not bought Yellow Tail in over 7 years.

We collect bottles from friends and bars to bottle our own in. Much better tasting.
Cheers,
Steve

bob109
11-22-2014, 11:38 AM
I ride solo all the time! As such I removed the passenger pegs and use my Cruiser Bag on the passenger portion of the stock seat. With a detachable/adjustable back pad it has turned my seat into a Lazy Boy Comfort Chair:icon_lol: I've had many compliments from folks on how well the bike looks. Bought the Cruiser Bag from a company in Canada. Unfortunately they went out of business. The bag is 13" Diameter PVC pipe covered in Vinyl and is rigid.

Here's a few pics for clarity:039:

Deer Slayer
11-23-2014, 12:21 AM

Or pick it up when it takes a nap.:yikes:

Hominid
03-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I have the Corbin heated Smuggler seat with the trunk thingy and I really like it. The extra "storage" space is good for gloves, owner's manual, bungee cords, very light jacket, and other small bits that could get easily lost in the saddlebags. It is by no means "storage" - more like a glorified glove box.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Thanks for the info, Steve. How does the Corbin seat height compare with the stock seat? I'm vertically challenged and would like to be a bit lower. If it's any taller at all it would not work out for me. I'm one-footing it or on the balls of my feet as it is at most stops. Wish I could sit on one and test out the dimensions before shelling out that much $$$.

I'm 5'7" with about 30" inseam.

And, yes. My feet have balls - before anyone asks... :icon_lol:

terrydj
03-05-2015, 03:12 PM

I reposted a few pics below....first one is the stock seat with the T-Bag on the rear seat, wrapped around the backrest, and providing me with a backrest. The MP3 lugggage rack and the nice Kury rollaway suitcase is attached. Next is the Smuggler with the lid open, and lastly, 4 standard wine bottles will fit into the "glove box." Note there is a bit more room on the right than on the left as you look at the picture.

I will switch back to the stock seat when I need serious luggage capacity.
The Smuggler does NOT permit use of the MP3 luggage rack and consequently, the nice bag I have to go with it, nor may I affix my T-Bag to the Smuggler - needs a backrest.

So, if you OFTEN need more storage than the stock saddlebags and a big glove box can provide, I would not recommend the Smuggler.
I only make a few big trips each year and while switching back and forth between the stock configuration and the Corbin is not difficult, it is not "recreational."
I plan on keeping my Smuggler on unless I absolutely have to go with big luggage.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Mate think that Solo seat thing is pretty gay???
I know I'm getting on but a chick on the back and that feeling on the back can't be beat by a good looking seat
In fact a chick on the seat looks pretty fine
Annnnnnnnnd me thinks at least a 1/2 dozen bottles of Bundy looks like it will fit

Injun Joe
03-05-2015, 09:28 PM
I ride solo all the time! As such I removed the passenger pegs and use my Cruiser Bag on the passenger portion of the stock seat. With a detachable/adjustable back pad it has turned my seat into a Lazy Boy Comfort Chair:icon_lol: I've had many compliments from folks on how well the bike looks. Bought the Cruiser Bag from a company in Canada. Unfortunately they went out of business. The bag is 13" Diameter PVC pipe covered in Vinyl and is rigid.

Here's a few pics for clarity:039:

I always thought those interesting. Sorry they went belly up.

Injun Joe
03-05-2015, 09:30 PM
First bike I've had that doesn't have a solo seat in years. The Mustang almost looks like one though.

Blackedout2014
03-07-2015, 06:51 PM
hi everyone. . . i am thinking of replacing my seat with a solo seat - i only ride by myself never with a passenger. what are your comments on this and if anyone has this do you have more room for storage, or is it better just to leave the seat as is and when travelling with a luggage bag is it best to tie it down on the passenger seat area. Before i decide to do anything i would like to hear your comments. Corbin has a solo seat and where the passenger seat area was they have made extra storage. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Bunny

Clearly I am TOTAL agreement with riding SOLO.