PDA

View Full Version : Belly pan?

Vol1chuck
11-21-2014, 01:06 PM
When i started surfing around for stuff to add to the new motorcycle, one of the first things i came across was the belly pan in several variants. is this thing purely for asthetics? i mean, i haven't really noticed anything unsightly hanging down under there.

53driver
11-21-2014, 01:49 PM
I put mine on just to protect the oil filter and anything else under there from road debris.
There is one make of bellypan that will actually support a lift directly to it for raising the bike.

The bellypan became my lowest point - i.e. first thing to scrape in spirited angles of turning.

I just like the peace of mind I get knowing that if I run over something it needs to do a little extra work to puncture my oil filter or anything else under there.
Cheers,
Steve

bigbird
11-21-2014, 02:00 PM
The down side to a BP is that you will lose considerable oil sump cooling. Your oil will run hotter.
If you get a BP, my advice would be to get one that is well ventilated.

Texas TC
11-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I recently replaced my natural aluminum colored belly pan with a black one. Black pans were not available when I bought the first one. It was pretty beat up so I imagine all those dents and dings saved the things that are just above the frame under my motorcycle. As for venting, both pans have ample holes on each side to allow air flow. Belly pans also assist in aerodynamics by smoothing out the void under the bike. They should be standard equipment.

edgeman55
11-21-2014, 02:21 PM
The down side to a BP is that you will lose considerable oil sump cooling. Your oil will run hotter.
If you get a BP, my advice would be to get one that is well ventilated.

And just who has run a oil temp guage to prove this out?I have had a black unventilated pan on my 13 since the first week and the bike does not run hot and it has seen outside temps to 108 degrees so far.IMHO the protection for the price is well worth it plus it really helps with crosswind handling which we deal with a lot in the high desert country.

bigbird
11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
And just who has run a oil temp guage to prove this out?

Logic proves this out.

There is no liquid cooling to the oil sump. The only way to cool the sump is through conduction to the aluminum. Block the air circulation around the sump, and now the aluminum cannot lose its heat through convection to the air. No air movement = no cooling. Simple thermodynamics.
That's why higher end BP's have cooling louvers.

Here's 2 quotes from the user ratings of the most expensive BP over at wingstuff.com:

"After I purchased and installed the Belly Pan I noticed my cooling fan came on in slow traffic. I decided to drill some holes in the front and that helped."

"After having this pan for a while,I found that it does not allow the engine to cool as well and my fan kicks in a lot more and also makes your feet and legs warmer in the summer time. The vents on the bottom look good but dont do much because there isn't an intake duct for cooler outside air to come in and wisk the hot air out.I decided to modify the belly pan by trimming out the front section of the pan with a metal blade on a jig saw"

Here's the link: http://wingstuff.com/products/24485-performance-stainless-belly-pan-for-gl1800-w-oversize-fasteners?context=belly_pans-f6b#reviews

Vol1chuck
11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Just wondered if it was a necessary add-on.

Hornblower
11-21-2014, 02:58 PM
Logic proves this out.

There is no liquid cooling to the oil sump. The only way to cool the sump is through conduction to the aluminum. Block the air circulation around the sump, and now the aluminum cannot lose its heat through convection to the air. No air movement = no cooling. Simple thermodynamics.
That's why higher end BP's have cooling louvers.

Somebody is doing an awful lot of assuming :icon_rolleyes: and, so-called "logic" can take you only so far. What about this logic...we're mostly concerned about possible higher oil temps when the ambient is really high. When that occurs, the roads are also very hot and that heat radiates upward to the oil pan unless you have a belly pan to partially block it. As far as louvered pans are concerned, my bet is that the louvers are there more for looks than for function. And finally, with synthetic oil, I don't care what the oil temp is as long as my engine temp stays in the recommended range which, as far as I know, the radiator takes care of nicely :2cents:.

bigbird
11-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Somebody is doing an awful lot of assuming :icon_rolleyes: and, so-called "logic" can take you only so far. What about this logic...we're mostly concerned about possible higher oil temps when the ambient is really high. When that occurs, the roads are also very hot and that heat radiates upward to the oil pan unless you have a belly pan to partially block it. As far as louvered pans are concerned, my bet is that the louvers are there more for looks than for function. And finally, with synthetic oil, I don't care what the oil temp is as long as my engine temp stays in the recommended range which, as far as I know, the radiator takes care of nicely :2cents:.

These two quotes from user reviews of the louvered BP over at wingstuff are enough for me:

"After I purchased and installed the Belly Pan I noticed my cooling fan came on in slow traffic. I decided to drill some holes in the front and that helped."

"After having this pan for a while,I found that it does not allow the engine to cool as well and my fan kicks in a lot more and also makes your feet and legs warmer in the summer time. The vents on the bottom look good but dont do much because there isn't an intake duct for cooler outside air to come in and wisk the hot air out.I decided to modify the belly pan by trimming out the front section of the pan with a metal blade on a jig saw"

Steve 0080
11-21-2014, 04:24 PM
I here ya but.... I live in FLA and have not had any of the issues stated... I promice you it is hot here!!!! The BP does protect the water bottle under the bike !!!! YMMV

bobbyf6b
11-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Mine got beat up by scraping over every speed bump. Then the screws stripped out on the front part so I just took the whole thing off. Haven't felt like buying another one.

XKnight
11-21-2014, 09:05 PM
I installed a black anodized belly pan because I consider it cheap insurance for protecting the underside of the bike. I don't notice the bike feeling any hotter or the fan kicking in more frequently with the belly pan installed. 5,000 miles later, the belly pan is still on and secure. I felt it scrape for the first time last week while making a turn riding on an uneven road. Some folks also claim it helps with stability in high winds although I can't say one way or another. If in the unlikely event this one were to fall off and disintegrate I'd probably spend the $50 to get another one.

Deer Slayer
11-21-2014, 10:08 PM
:icon_deadhorse::BSmeter: Bull feathers! :poke:

Steve 0080
11-22-2014, 11:32 AM
:icon_deadhorse::BSmeter: Bull feathers! :poke:

I agree... I do like the fact that the water bottle is protected...but as far as cross winds.... little had to swallow.....

motoman
11-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I think there are better choices for your Farkle dollars. :jerkit:

opas ride
11-22-2014, 01:48 PM
If it works for some thats great....but for me it is just another after-market supplier looking for your money for "extra farkles"...I wonder how many water bottles have actually been damaged without one???...I'll bet not many overall....

BBB
11-23-2014, 01:57 PM
If it works for some thats great....but for me it is just another after-market supplier looking for your money for "extra farkles"...I wonder how many water bottles have actually been damaged without one???...I'll bet not many overall....

I feel the same way.

If Honda felt it MUST have the belly pan, they would have installed it as standard equipment, Just my thought.

Also, I have lowered my bike a little bit (due to my short legs lol) so anything that reduces the groud clearance is not for me.....

Darkknight
11-25-2014, 06:31 AM
The belly pan was one of the first couple of accessories I installed. Once I saw that plastic bottle for the coolant, I wanted that protected.
I've only got 17K on my 2013 delux but I hardly ever hear the fans kick on except on very hot days sitting in traffic. On the other hand, I've run over debris that has knocked my foot off the floorboards and hit the BP. I was glad to have the extra protection.
Losing the coolant, the inconvenience of being disabled on the roadside or delaying my trip just seemed to outweigh the small cost and in my case, unnoticed temperature rise. I also run full synthetic motor oil. Hopefully any extra heat won't be a factor.

GNW
11-26-2014, 06:44 AM
Wing Stuff has this for sale and I approved this commercial.
Great pan, looks good, super for jack lifting.

Blotar
11-30-2014, 02:36 PM
We have a tall suspension bridge here that I ride twice a day. Some days there is a lot of gusty wind on top, especially. I rode two or three months of this before I got a belly pan. (SS, Louvered) I had a pretty good idea of how the F6B acted in the wind and after the belly pan the bike seemed much more unaffected by it.
Blotar

bigbird
11-30-2014, 02:46 PM
We have a tall suspension bridge here that I ride twice a day. Some days there is a lot of gusty wind on top, especially. I rode two or three months of this before I got a belly pan. (SS, Louvered) I had a pretty good idea of how the F6B acted in the wind and after the belly pan the bike seemed much more unaffected by it.
Blotar

That tells me that even with louvering, most air is deflected away from the parts of the engine that may have been designed by Honda to cool the oil.
I know thousands of GL1800 owners have installed bellypans, but the idea of choking off cooling air that may be vital to the engine still bothers me.
OTOH, protecting the coolant overflow bottle, oil filter, and bottom of the sump is also desirable.
I'm torn.

grendl
11-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Although I prefer the look of the anodized black one the Macgyver looks like it will withstand a harder hit. Not that I plan on jumping curbs ever but you never know. It is steel and not vented at all but seems like a few holes in the front cover might put some air flow under the bike and still reap the benefits.
On the site there were a couple of complaints about increased heat and it makes sense,but I am concerned about the protection and hopefully a bit more stable in the wind.
I've had a couple 'pucker' moments in cross winds.one which moved the bike before I was aware of what was happening. That was a high 'flyover' exit from one highway to another at about 70 mph. Got blown onto the lane line for the next lane before I knew what was happening,corrected ok but if it helps with that AND protects my underbelly, cheap at the cost...

edgeman55
11-30-2014, 03:31 PM
That tells me that even with louvering, most air is deflected away from the parts of the engine that may have been designed by Honda to cool the oil.
I know thousands of GL1800 owners have installed bellypans, but the idea of choking off cooling air that may be vital to the engine still bothers me.
OTOH, protecting the coolant overflow bottle, oil filter, and bottom of the sump is also desirable.
I'm torn.

Water cooled engine with a temp guage.If my F6B were overheated it would show on the temp guage.Since installing the belly pan the needle has not moved a lick -still a hair under the middle no matter what the temp outside.Still cannot see a proven negative for installing one only positive as stated by many here.

bigbird
11-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Water cooled engine with a temp guage.If my F6B were overheated it would show on the temp guage.Since installing the belly pan the needle has not moved a lick -still a hair under the middle no matter what the temp outside.Still cannot see a proven negative for installing one only positive as stated by many here.

Have you noticed any change in the frequency of the rad fans operation?

edgeman55
11-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Have you noticed any change in the frequency of the rad fans operation?

No not at all.Have been in temps to 105 outside and temp stays at middle.Stop and go fan will cycle but not any more then before and it quickly brings back the temp to normal like they are supposed too.You have to take the temp guage into the red to get a overheat situation.Never even come close-have to believe it would take total fan faliure to create this.

bigbird
11-30-2014, 04:44 PM
No not at all.Have been in temps to 105 outside and temp stays at middle.Stop and go fan will cycle but not any more then before and it quickly brings back the temp to normal like they are supposed too.You have to take the temp guage into the red to get a overheat situation.Never even come close-have to believe it would take total fan faliure to create this.

Thank you. I had read about increased fan operation with belly pans that didn't have louvers.