PDA

View Full Version : Windshields

vstar09
11-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Looking for a new windshield....Want something I can look over or every now and then look thru.... Have a Bagger Shield now, but set up I look thru a small window..... Looking at a Madstad or a windbender.......Pros or cons....? How high do the adjust up from the base plate?... I preferer to look over.....Im 5' 10" 31" Inseam sitting on a Mustang seat......Recomdations...? Thanks

DMAGOLDRDR
11-22-2014, 08:06 AM
I am 5' 11'' and went with the Madstad 13" but was still not completely happy. There was still too much noise and wind in the face for highway riding in the cold here in New England. I ride all year and wanted to keep the cold off my face, so I exchanged the 13 for a 15. Now i can slide it up enough to stop all wind in my face when the temps drop and have a very quiet ride at highway speeds.
I can move it down and see over it when I want or need.
I think as far as looks the Windbender would have been a better choice. I wanted the height adjustability but don't need or care for the rake adjustment. You can get a Windbender without the rake adjustment.
The Madstad gives you 3 inches of up and down movement, I don't remember what the Windbender was.

Steve 0080
11-22-2014, 08:57 AM
Just installed the Clearview, large...will rain for the next 4 days, sooooo I will be riding Turkey day...I will try to remember to post the result... I just moved up from a small so I am sure I will be thrilled !!!!!

Texas TC
11-22-2014, 10:25 AM
I decided on F4. Clarity through the light tint is unbelievable. I also liked the fact ot can be cleaned with Windex and is scratch resistent due its' hard coating. I went to a larger screen over my OEM Honda tall and have been extremely pleased with the results. Rode in some fairly strong winds got no buffeting. I really like this product.

bertrider
11-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Its really quiet behind my windbender. I have set it to look over and never touched it afterward. Its been the first aftermarket shield I've purchased for this bike and I'm satisfied I couldn't have done better. Long dry and rainy trips have been fine behind it.

Ridlikhel
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Just got back from a ride, after putting in a factory vented 16" shield and what a difference. At 5'-10" I can see over it and feel wind free with my shield open on my full face helmet.

Texas TC
11-22-2014, 06:48 PM
That factory Honda tall windshield served me well for almost 25000 miles. Much better than stock but there are some great aftermarket choices out there now. When I purchased my bike, the Honda tall was the only option.

BBB
11-23-2014, 03:26 AM
I have a Clearview Medium (15") in light tint with vent and I'm happy with it. (I have the mustang seat as well)

I've tried the windbender as well. Althouh I really liked how it performed,
I just couldn't get used to the look of it.

I really like how my bike looks with clearview shield.

F4 Customs
11-25-2014, 10:08 AM
The stock windshield is approx. 7" and most of the F6B riders that contact us are not satisfied with this performance. F4 Customs shields provide additional protection over the F6B stock windshield and moves air up and over rider's head, and our shield is 2" wider than the F6B stock windshield and provides great protection for shoulders and body. All F4 Customs windshields are made of high optical grade polycarbonate, are guaranteed optically perfect and WILL NOT shatter upon impact! This makes the F4 a safety upgrade, not just replacement.
These are offered in Clear or Tint, Vented or Non Vented, various heights, and are .157" thick. We keep the same angle as the stock windshield and are DOT Approved.

The F4 Customs shield is manufactured from the Highest Optical Grade Polycarbonate available to guarantee that there is "No Distortion". Our "Baked In Coating" with our proprietary "Hard Coat Process" makes the F4 shields the most chemical and scratch resistant windscreens on the market today. "The Rain Shedding" is fantastic and our "Optical Clarity" is unmatched by any other. It can be cleaned with standard glass cleaner and a paper towel. No special polishes cleaners, or rags required.
We would love to earn your business.
Don

bobbyf6b
11-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm still happy with my Windbender. Click this link for more info:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2383-Windbender-Windshield-Pics&highlight=windbender

mercator1
11-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Anyone have a picture of an F6B with the small Clearview, Sport Tour width and upper recurve on their F6B?

Old Ryder
11-26-2014, 09:46 AM
I spent 20 years building and flying model planes. It is a very expensive hobby that is a lot of fun and at the same time you cant help but learn some things. After owning a few bikes with batwing fairings, these aero principles are reinforced. Here is what I learned.

Just putting a sheet of lexan in front of your face to block the wind has been going on for years. It has become the UNQUESTIONED method for motorcycle comfort whether it is attached to the forks, triple tree or fairing. Harley's batwing fairing is NOT the best way to shield the rider, but lo and behold, the style has stuck and the MoCo refuses to change the design fearing change is a bad thing. (Imagine That!). Next time out on your bike, try this experiment. Hold your hand out like you are giving a signal for a right turn. Notice the resistance on the palm of your hand. Imagine what the resistance is On a huge sheet of plastic bolted to the forks and you see what is going on with a Road King.

The best wind management comes with a fixed fairing like is on the B, Wing, Vision, Road Glide, etc where the fairing is mounted to the frame as the frame is much more of a solid foundation to mount a device for wind penetration. Now we get to the shape of the device that distributes the force of the wind around your body. IN MY OPINION this is just as important For EFFICIENCY as any other part of the wind management system you put in place. The accepted thinking is bigger is better. I disagree. It has been my personal experience that the design of Klock Werks provides the best protection, penetration, and efficiency while not disturbing the handling of the machine itself.

Your opinion may vary. While most people freely give their opinion on what they like, this is the reason WHY I like the Klock Werks shield. I think many will dismiss the product because of the strange looks, but it is the look that makes it so good. Research the product for the history and accomplishments and buy wisely.

PS----no slight to other products intended. Ride safe :039:

Rolf
11-26-2014, 11:23 AM
I researched windshields for days and came up with the Clearview as my choice. I talked with the company and decided on the large as I am 6'1". The difference was huge but there is a lot more whind noise than on the batwing of my 2009 Ultra. I then changed the seat to a Mustang which sits you lower by an inch. A little better but I don't think this is perfect yet. I'm going to leave this alone for a while to try to sort this out but I find highway buffeting at 70-80 miles per hour to be annoying over long periods. I have 3 types of helmets but find my half helmet almost useless with this setup.

mercator1
11-26-2014, 11:28 AM
I researched windshields for days and came up with the Clearview as my choice. I talked with the company and decided on the large as I am 6'1". The difference was huge but there is a lot more whind noise than on the batwing of my 2009 Ultra. I then changed the seat to a Mustang which sits you lower by an inch. A little better but I don't think this is perfect yet. I'm going to leave this alone for a while to try to sort this out but I find highway buffeting at 70-80 miles per hour to be annoying over long periods. I have 3 types of helmets but find my half helmet almost useless with this setup.

Did you get the upper recurve on your Clearview?

Rolf
11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes

Jim
11-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know if the Baker wings that fasten to the bottom of the mirrors helps much with buffeting around the ears and shoulders. I have a Clearview and love it, but still get a little to much buffeting.

bobbyf6b
11-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if the Baker wings that fasten to the bottom of the mirrors helps much with buffeting around the ears and shoulders.

YES!!! Highly recommended! Also reduces buffeting for passenger.

hiflyer
11-26-2014, 05:59 PM
It has been my personal experience that the design of Klock Werks provides the best protection, penetration, and efficiency while not disturbing the handling of the machine itself.

Your opinion may vary. While most people freely give their opinion on what they like, this is the reason WHY I like the Klock Werks shield. I think many will dismiss the product because of the strange looks, but it is the look that makes it so good. Research the product for the history and accomplishments and buy wisely.

PS----no slight to other products intended. Ride safe :039:

I posted last week about my windshield collection, and my last purchase was the Klock Werks. While it looks good, it doesn't even compare to the Madstad that I own. Have you tried the Madstad? Lowest noise and buffet level of "all" that I have tried. I use the 11" shield on the M/S, and plan to put it back on the bike tomorrow. All others are going up for sale.

Old Ryder
11-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Aero stuff can get very tricky and needs to be adjusted for the person. As stated just lowering your head 1" makes a difference. The same is true if a seat moves you forward or back. A person needs to find their "sweet spot ". If you are sitting on the bike the top of the shield should be about level with the bridge of your nose. This is a good rule of thumb for standard shields. As I said earlier, bigger is not better. Why? Think of it this way-a vacuum moves blades thru the air and the motion sucks air to replace the air disturbed by the blade. The same aerodynamic principle is true with a windshield on your bike. While the shield is punching a hole in the air, you are sitting behind it enjoying the vacuum. However wind is rushing up from the bottom to replace the air being displaced by by the windshield. This is where the buffeting comes into play. The smaller the shield, the less the buffeting. It is air coming up from below that causing the problem. The fixed fairing really helps a lot. Other things such as lowers also help.

The angle of the shield also comes into play, but the problem with that is there is not any adjustments to be made on our B.

Old Ryder
11-26-2014, 06:31 PM
I posted last week about my windshield collection, and my last purchase was the Klock Werks. While it looks good, it doesn't even compare to the Madstad that I own. Have you tried the Madstad? Lowest noise and buffet level of "all" that I have tried. I use the 11" shield on the M/S, and plan to put it back on the bike tomorrow. All others are going up for sale.

Being able to adjust the angle and the height to find that "sweet spot" gets good results.

Sorry, but I just can't get past the looks of the Madstad.

hiflyer
11-26-2014, 06:32 PM
The angle of the shield also comes into play, but the problem with that is there is not any adjustments to be made on our B.

That's why the Madstad and windbender work so well, not to mention the "engineered dual airflow".

bobbyf6b
11-26-2014, 07:08 PM
I have no doubt that the Madstad works awesome but, for those of us that can't get beyond the looks of it, the Windbender is a great alternative. That's why I went that direction.

bigbird
11-26-2014, 07:56 PM
While it looks good, it doesn't even compare to the Madstad that I own. Have you tried the Madstad? Lowest noise and buffet level of "all" that I have tried.

I can't imagine less buffeting and noise than my adjustable Baggershield with the 19"" clear top piece in place.
Did you try the 11"/19" Baggershield for comparison?
If so, is the M/S really that much better than the B/S?

hiflyer
11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
I have no doubt that the Madstad works awesome but, for those of us that can't get beyond the looks of it, the Windbender is a great alternative. That's why I went that direction.

I hear ya on the looks, I am going to sell all my standard shields and get a windbender and compare it to my madstad. Whichever works the best of the two, is the one I will keep. I'm tired of changing shields. The windbender has it in the looks dept.

hiflyer
11-26-2014, 08:02 PM
I can't imagine less buffeting and noise than my adjustable Baggershield with the 19"" clear top piece in place.
Did you try the 11"/19" Baggershield for comparison?
If so, is the M/S really that much better than the B/S?

Your welcome to ride mine and compare. The B/S is a cool concept. "Sport to tour" in a sec.

Blotar
11-27-2014, 11:41 AM
here is a picture of the Clearview Short. (since you asked) I ended up with the Medium, light grey. I LOVE IT!
Blotar :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
11-27-2014, 11:50 AM
here is a picture of the Clearview Short. (since you asked) I ended up with the Medium, light grey. I LOVE IT!
Blotar :icon_biggrin:

I have one just like it.....love the look and quality....too short for me.

opas ride
11-27-2014, 12:19 PM
I think windshield opinions are kind of like oil opinions...If your happy with what you use, stick with it and enjoy the ride...My bike came from the dealer with the adjustable Baggershield set to the top setting, per my request, and it I see no need to change as it works fine for me. I do not experience much wind noise, if at all, no buffeting or turbulence and I will keep it on...I know many riders like the Madstad, but it is just plain "ugly" for me, and as they say..."Too each his own".. I totally agree with an earlier post that fixed fairings with windshields have it all over just a shield stuck in front...I am getting to old to ride without some form of wind protection and really enjoy what I have on my F6B...Regards and ride safe.....

vstar09
11-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks for all the opinions my question is a Madstad 11" adjusts from how low to how high? A Windbender 11" adjusts from how low to how high ? Whats the base plate height of each? Thanks

bobbyf6b
11-27-2014, 08:27 PM
I posted a link to that info for the Windbender.

vstar09
11-27-2014, 08:57 PM
I read that post so...if the top adjusts 13-16 what height is the base plate shield....? I like the B/S set in the low position which is what I use 90% of the time....But when I want more wind protection the 11" dark tint bottom with the top up seems to provide to small of a picture to look thru.... I prefer to be able to look just over the top and still have more protection and not see such a dark area.....make sense?

bobbyf6b
11-27-2014, 09:14 PM
I read that post so...if the top adjusts 13-16 what height is the base plate shield....? I like the B/S set in the low position which is what I use 90% of the time....But when I want more wind protection the 11" dark tint bottom with the top up seems to provide to small of a picture to look thru.... I prefer to be able to look just over the top and still have more protection and not see such a dark area.....make sense?

The base is about the same size as the stock shied. I'm 5'11", 32" inseam and with the shield up I can see over it and with it down I can see way over it. I mostly ride with it one notch up. 13-16" is actual hight. I measure from the dash panel where the Honda sign is by the LCD screen.

bobbyf6b
11-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Here's a couple more pics.

9853 9854

vstar09
11-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks... about the same inseem and height.......how is it at 70-80 mph....?

bobbyf6b
11-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Thanks... about the same inseem and height.......how is it at 70-80 mph....?

Very nice. I bumped it up a notch yesterday when I took a trip up the interstate. I was wearing a half helmet with no annoying buffeting. I also have Baker hand wings which help A LOT. Stereo sounds great too.

I've tried a few other shields (Honda tall, Baggershield, full Goldwing) but I decided on the Windbender because of the function, adjustability and looks.

vstar09
11-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks Bobby, I think thats the direction I may go.....and the Baker hand wings are great have them too

mercator1
12-07-2014, 12:51 AM
I have one just like it.....love the look and quality....too short for me.

How tall are you? At 5'9", I was hoping the short would work for me.

opas ride
12-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I am 5'9" and the adjustable Baggershield works perfect for me..I have it set all the way up and I can't imagine any better wind protection than what I have...I know many like the Madstad, but it is to complex looking for me...For the money I truly enjoy the one I have....