PDA

View Full Version : not really happy

tinknocker
11-22-2014, 04:09 PM
I bought my new f6b last weekend. Today is really the first day I had much time to tinker. So I went to the garage and added a 12v socket in the cubby. Got some radio stations programmed and decided to check the air in the tires as that is one of my OCD things. Low and behold on the back wheel/tire the valve stem faces the low side of the bike needless to say I'm not really happy about that.:banghead:

bigbird
11-22-2014, 04:16 PM
You know the answer to that; a centre stand. :money1:

Steve 0080
11-22-2014, 05:16 PM
You found it...the ONE bad thing about the bike...Chive on ....

opas ride
11-22-2014, 05:44 PM
I read somewhere, here on the board, that the reason Honda's engineer types have it facing the lower side is because the rear brake disc and rear drive stuff is on the other side and it is easier to get a tire gauge on the opposite side??...I sometimes struggle with it, but generally put the bike on center stand and no issues....

bob109
11-22-2014, 06:28 PM
I read somewhere, here on the board, that the reason Honda's engineer types have it facing the lower side is because the rear brake disc and rear drive stuff is on the other side and it is easier to get a tire gauge on the opposite side??...I sometimes struggle with it, but generally put the bike on center stand and no issues....

+1

Jimmytee
11-22-2014, 06:29 PM
I bought my new f6b last weekend. Today is really the first day I had much time to tinker. So I went to the garage and added a 12v socket in the cubby. Got some radio stations programmed and decided to check the air in the tires as that is one of my OCD things. Low and behold on the back wheel/tire the valve stem faces the low side of the bike needless to say I'm not really happy about that.:banghead:

It is a bit of a PIA without a center stand. Especially since you have to hold onto the valve stem to get a good seat with a guage and or air hose. I will be replacing my valve stems with the chrome steel variety that actually bolt onto the rim when I change my tires. I have Jake Wilson's on my Valk and they are really nice and inexpensive.

Hornblower
11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
It is a bit of a PIA without a center stand. Especially since you have to hold onto the valve stem to get a good seat with a guage and or air hose. I will be replacing my valve stems with the chrome steel variety that actually bolt onto the rim when I change my tires. I have Jake Wilson's on my Valk and they are really nice and inexpensive.

Good idea, Jimmytee :yes: All metal valve stems, either steel or aluminum, are a big improvement, at least to me. You can eliminate those worrysome plastic retaining clips and, as an added bonus, you don't have to hold the stem to check tire pressure.

DaWadd
11-22-2014, 07:09 PM
An air gauge with a locking chuck works well.

XKnight
11-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm hoping this is a joke..batman-smilie.

Limoles
11-22-2014, 07:50 PM
No - it's real .

Massimo
11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
With only the side stand to control the pressure of the rear tire is not easy....I have to lie down on the floor to get to the valve!:banghead:

bob109
11-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Good idea, Jimmytee :yes: All metal valve stems, either steel or aluminum, are a big improvement, at least to me. You can eliminate those worrysome plastic retaining clips and, as an added bonus, you don't have to hold the stem to check tire pressure.

Mother Honda Engineers designed the aluminum wheel specifically with a tit to hold/secure the plastic valve stem supports. Unsnapping the support from the tit and applying a dab of Black Permatex Gasket Maker and re-installing the support does wonders in firmly affixing it to the wheel:icon_wink:

Old Ryder
11-22-2014, 08:19 PM
When I saw the 90 degree valve stem my heart took a leap. An unexpected surprise. With my Victory and Road King you had to take the bag off. Bought a 90 degree air gauge just to check it. Just got my center stand in. I consider it an upgrade. Glass half full for me!

Steve 0080
11-22-2014, 08:46 PM
With only the side stand to control the pressure of the rear tire is not easy....I have to lie down on the floor to get to the valve!:banghead:

Thats why my garage is carpeted !!!!

Jimmytee
11-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Mother Honda Engineers designed the aluminum wheel specifically with a tit to hold/secure the plastic valve stem supports. Unsnapping the support from the tit and applying a dab of Black Permatex Gasket Maker and re-installing the support does wonders in firmly affixing it to the wheel:icon_wink:

The idea behind the bolt on valve stems is that the keeper is no longer needed and the valve stems are stout and secure on their own. On the one on my Valk, they are solid and don't need to be held to keep them from bending or distorting away as apply pressure from a tire guage or hose.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/chrome_90_degree_valve_stems/4102/124629

https://www.jakewilson.com/p/1753/19082/Myers-90%C2%B0-Tubeless-Chrome-Valve-Stem?term=valve%20stems

fxdl2051
11-23-2014, 12:43 AM
A center stand is well worth the $300 or so it will cost you in the long run. None of my Harleys had them and airing up was a PIA, no more.

Massimo
11-23-2014, 05:24 AM
Thats why my garage is carpeted !!!!

Ahahahahahahaahah!!!!!!:crackup::crackup:

great idea!'all/right'

Massimo
11-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Here I have to do the contortionist... luckily I have my wife that keeps me the bike tilted!:yikes:

Old Ryder
11-23-2014, 07:45 AM
A center stand is well worth the $300 or so it will cost you in the long run. None of my Harleys had them and airing up was a PIA, no more.

Got mine off a trike conversion for $50.

Jimmytee
11-23-2014, 07:58 AM
Anyone else find that pesky spring to be a PIA?:banghead: I work on my own bikes and am a HVAC-R service technician, so I am used to do things mechanical, but the spring forced some sailor language out of me and I was Army.:icon_doh: The difficulty was with trying to grip that spring and pull it far enough to hook around the point on the center stand. I ended up using a needle nose vise grip coupled with a 4 ft. squeeze clamp to pull the spring.

bob109
11-23-2014, 08:47 AM
Anyone else find that pesky spring to be a PIA?:banghead: I work on my own bikes and am a HVAC-R service technician, so I am used to do things mechanical, but the spring forced some sailor language out of me and I was Army.:icon_doh: The difficulty was with trying to grip that spring and pull it far enough to hook around the point on the center stand. I ended up using a needle nose vise grip coupled with a 4 ft. squeeze clamp to pull the spring.

I used the method of placing 11 ea. flat washers between the spring coils! The spring stretches in length and drops onto the posts. Simply remove each washer with pliers and the spring is in place.

Here's one of the original Threads/Post on the subject:icon_wink:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?162-Center-Stand-Installed

I would suggest you do some searches on topics such as the spring install etc. There have been efforts by many folks and remedies have been suggested for most if not all of the problems with accessories/components of the 6:039:

Jimmytee
11-23-2014, 08:54 AM
I used the method of placing 11 ea. flat washers between the spring coils! The spring stretches in length and drops onto the posts. Simply remove each washer with pliers and the spring is in place.

Here's one of the original Threads/Post on the subject:icon_wink:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?162-Center-Stand-Installed

I would suggest you do some searches on topics such as the spring install etc. There have been efforts by many folks and remedies have been suggested for most if not all of the problems with accessories/components of the 6:039:

You know the thought had occurred to me to try that, but I was stubborn at the time and dismissed that it would work. :icon_doh: No I persevered and got it on the way I mentioned. Anyhow, it's already done so I'm not too concerned about it now.:clap2:

tinknocker
11-23-2014, 09:26 AM
My post does have a hint of sarcasm to it. It is a P.I.T.A. but if that is the only thing I find that I don't like I will still be unbelievably happy with my purchase. However I do see a center stand purchase in my future.

bigbird
11-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Anyone else find that pesky spring to be a PIA?:banghead:.

I had a spring puller left over from a LeoVince pipe installation on another bike. It's just a T-handle with a hook on the end. Worked perfectly.

XKnight
11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I guess I'm one of the filthy few that doesn't mind getting down and dirty on the ground to put air in my tires. That's how I've done it all my life and even as I get older it still doesn't bother me. The F6B is a actually a breeze compared to some other bikes I've owned.

Old Ryder
11-23-2014, 06:06 PM
I guess I'm one of the filthy few that doesn't mind getting down and dirty on the ground to put air in my tires. That's how I've done it all my life and even as I get older it still doesn't bother me. The F6B is a actually a breeze compared to some other bikes I've owned.

Yep. See post #13

opas ride
11-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Yep....At 74 and almost 75, I still lie down on the ground to check and clean my rims/pipes etc..I have a nice little rug I bought that works just fine and adds a little cushion..I don't find airing up the tires much more difficult than others I have owned...The Victory Vision was a royal PITA, although...I do have a centerstand, but as I get older and starting to get a "bum" left knee, I cannot put the bike on the stand without help...Usually my younger neighbor or my son are around so all is okay....