PDA

View Full Version : How to RV

choptop
11-23-2014, 02:11 PM
Well w/retirement a possibility next year, I am considering some occasional travel, a combination of long weekends, maybe a week here and their and the possibility of a month in the winter. Being not the smartest guy in the room, more of a spender than a saver and a sig other that although younger, their for will have to work about 10 years longer, but will never pull in a much money, I need to watch my pennies.

I will be either going w/ a class b, camper van style or a class c, van front, box back, style, not really interested in pulling a camper or having one in the bed of a pickup truck. It will be the (2) of us and the dog. The class b van would be the easiest to maneuver and use as a second vehicle, the class c would afford more room and storage. Would be towing the 6 of course. still open to all suggestions, any input would be appreciated.

Deer Slayer
11-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Well w/retirement a possibility next year, I am considering some occasional travel, a combination of long weekends, maybe a week here and their and the possibility of a month in the winter. Being not the smartest guy in the room, more of a spender than a saver and a sig other that although younger, their for will have to work about 10 years longer, but will never pull in a much money, I need to watch my pennies.

I will be either going w/ a class b, camper van style or a class c, van front, box back, style, not really interested in pulling a camper or having one in the bed of a pickup truck. It will be the (2) of us and the dog. The class b van would be the easiest to maneuver and use as a second vehicle, the class c would afford more room and storage. Would be towing the 6 of course. still open to all suggestions, any input would be appreciated.

Pull a Bunkhouse camper with your F6B? :yikes:

choptop
11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
If I loose a little weight and learn yoga, I could sleep in the Bushtec, not sure about the g'friend and dog. lol

Steve 0080
11-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Camp at the Holiday Inn...its cheaper !!!

53driver
11-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Camp at the Holiday Inn...its cheaper !!!

+1. Since I retired from the USMC - the Holiday Inn IS the new definition of camping.

ReserveBum
11-24-2014, 08:06 AM
+1. Since I retired from the USMC - the Holiday Inn IS the new definition of camping.

You should have joined the AF...you would not have to wait until retirement!

53driver
11-24-2014, 08:41 AM
You should have joined the AF...you would not have to wait until retirement!

Air Force: "A great way of life."
USMC: "Doing bad things to bad people for 239 years."

Of course, since I wanted to fly, I didn't chose AF. The Navy/USMC has more pilots than the AF, and I believe the Army has even more.
But yes, the conditions could get a bit "austere" at times.

Reminds me of the cartoon where the Soldiers are up to their waist in a swamp and one says to the other "This sucks."
The next panel showed two Marines neck deep in the swamp and one says "I love how this sucks."
Next panel, two Sailors are looking through a porthole and in the binoculars you could see the Marines in the swamp, and one Sailor says "That's gotta suck."
Last panel, Airman Smith is in his hotel room, reclining on the bed, remote in his hand and says out loud "What? No cable? This sucks.!"

Not better nor worse, just different.
And with just under 40 hours in F-4s, yes, they rock!
Cheers,
Steve

Deer Slayer
11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
If I loose a little weight and learn yoga, I could sleep in the Bushtec, not sure about the g'friend and dog. lol

King size bed! Pile em in.:cheers:

Steve 0080
11-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Air Force: "A great way of life."
USMC: "Doing bad things to bad people for 239 years."

Of course, since I wanted to fly, I didn't chose AF. The Navy/USMC has more pilots than the AF, and I believe the Army has even more.
But yes, the conditions could get a bit "austere" at times.

Reminds me of the cartoon where the Soldiers are up to their waist in a swamp and one says to the other "This sucks."
The next panel showed two Marines neck deep in the swamp and one says "I love how this sucks."
Next panel, two Sailors are looking through a porthole and in the binoculars you could see the Marines in the swamp, and one Sailor says "That's gotta suck."
Last panel, Airman Smith is in his hotel room, reclining on the bed, remote in his hand and says out loud "What? No cable? This sucks.!"

Not better nor worse, just different.
And with just under 40 hours in F-4s, yes, they rock!
Cheers,
Steve

Too funny !!! :lolup:

hoglaw
11-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Here's a little I learned:

1. Don't buy new. There's a ton of used RV's out there to suit every taste and budget.

2. Walmart is your friend. There's an atlas available (at Walmart) that lists every Walmart and where it is located. You can stay overnight at most Walmarts for no charge. Warning: the wife will get bored riding all day in the RV and go shopping at night.

3. Sign up for the Good Sam breakdown coverage. I've used them 4 times for tire changes.

BubbaJePH
11-24-2014, 08:12 PM
My wife's idea of ruffing it in the RV is not being able to use Dish TV and using the local antenna or cable. I'd love to take the bike but she will not ride with me. Her Honda has 4 wheels. We tow it behind the Winnebago. In an RV vs Hotel, you know the room is clean. Food is good. You also know who put the stains in the linen :icon_biggrin:

Navvet
12-01-2014, 10:44 AM
The wife and I had similar ideas, Both of us have been all over the world with the Navy, but never on the ground west of the Mississippi ...... We picked up a (very nice) 5th wheel toy hauler for 8K and are loading the bikes up for an "extended weekend" trip starting next May. We are planning on hitting Sturgis on the way back in August.

We prefer to have the living quarters and the power plant seperate, that way a failure in one does not put both out of commision.

Steve 0080
12-01-2014, 08:33 PM
I also agree w/ the 5th wheel as a better option...

unsub
12-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Would be towing the 6 of course. still open to all suggestions, any input would be appreciated.

My suggestion based on years of experience on this would be to purchase a class A or C [or if budget restricts you a camper and truck], and pull your bike to your destination of choice. Absolutely and unequivocally forget about a class B. Total waste of money, and too small for more than one person. On your travels you and your wife and or kids will want privacy, room to eat or read inside [without having to set up or pull down the bed to make room for the dining table and seats lol] on bad days and the ability to sustain yourself in areas where you won't have access to good water or shower services. A class B cannot store any significant amount of black water, grey water or potable water. Not to mention the lav itself would be a cassette toilet that would have to be removed every time you want to empty it.:icon_frown:

tinknocker
12-03-2014, 04:35 PM
My suggestion would be maybe check again and think about pulling a toy hauler behind a truck as you would have a spare vehicle if you needed to go to the store and also a garage for your baby 'trailering'

NCF6B
12-03-2014, 06:32 PM
My wife and I have been camping for years. Have had every type of equipment you can camp in. We have a class c Winnebago Outlook and tow a flat bed with her trike on it. I ride the f6b. We have the option to off at any time. Wanted an RV that had both a bed and dining table. Stayed away from class B's because of size and space. Really enjoy the Winnebago. Has a large slide and don't have to extend it if we are overnight traveling. Have had a ball traveling and biking together. Headed south for Christmas with RV and bikes. I encourage you to look around. Many very good used rv's out there for sale. We have found Winnebago to have very high quality in things that count. Good luck, enjoy! Great way to see America!