PDA

View Full Version : I have the WOBBLE on my 2005

Phantom
11-25-2014, 12:51 PM
:icon_evil:

Allow me to vent a little, it's not a big deal but want to share my experience.

I've had the 40mph deceleration wobble on my 2005 Goldwing since I acquired it with 2,800 miles. I know that I am not supposed to remove my hands off the handle bars, but I discovered the minor shimmy AFTER reading about it on Goldwing forums. It is more common then thought, however owners just live with it and really don't worry much about it.

Was told that it was the DUNLOP tires, that I needed a fork Brace, that I needed new tapered head bearings .... :banghead:

The gold wing currently has 7,800 miles
This past August, I replaced the wheels with chrome wheels and added new Bridgestone tires .... result .... reduced wobble
This past October, I added the SuperBrace ..... result .... reduced wobble a bit more

Sooooo both of these 2 above recommendations did NOT resolve my very,very, very minor wobble issue.
This leads me to believe that the head bearings need to be torqued a little tighter or replaced with tapered bearings, a 2-4 hour project. It is a very minor issue and it will NOT prevent me from keeping this bike, the Goldwing is by far the BEST motorcycle that I have owned in my life. I WILL always own a Goldwing. Looking back, I should have replaced or torqued the head bearings ... Live and learn.

Let's ride 'gw-smiley'

jkelley
11-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Phantom,

All my Harleys had the dreaded wobble too. I followed all of the fall away procedures, and still slight wobble after trying multiple tricks.
Finally I ran into a guy that had been working on them for many years (like forever) and he told me to stop reading the manuals, and "cinch them things down" Neck bearings he was referring to. While you don't want to over do it, I found that the Harley specs were in fact too lose for my riding taste. I did Tighten them up, and subsequently did the same on all my other bikes and no more problems for me. Now I don't recommend not following procedures but in this case he was correct. I will probably change my bearings out when I get tired of mine doing the same thing and I will tighten them up as I have been on other bikes.

FlaMike
11-25-2014, 05:10 PM
http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=Steering+bearings

No personal experience, but close friend w/ 08 WING said it cured his problem. The recommended procedure is bearings w/ new front tire but my friend said just bearings alone cured wobble and made bike much more stable on twisty roads.

Local dealer thought it was BS the first time a customer requested these be installed. But a before/after test ride proved him wrong. They now stock these bearings.

Phantom
11-25-2014, 06:35 PM
http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=Steering+bearings

No personal experience, but close friend w/ 08 WING said it cured his problem. The recommended procedure is bearings w/ new front tire but my friend said just bearings alone cured wobble and made bike much more stable on twisty roads.

Local dealer thought it was BS the first time a customer requested these be installed. But a before/after test ride proved him wrong. They now stock these bearings.

Thank You, yes, this is my next step. :kap:

bob109
11-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Phantom,

All my Harleys had the dreaded wobble too. I followed all of the fall away procedures, and still slight wobble after trying multiple tricks.
Finally I ran into a guy that had been working on them for many years (like forever) and he told me to stop reading the manuals, and "cinch them things down" Neck bearings he was referring to. While you don't want to over do it, I found that the Harley specs were in fact too lose for my riding taste. I did Tighten them up, and subsequently did the same on all my other bikes and no more problems for me. Now I don't recommend not following procedures but in this case he was correct. I will probably change my bearings out when I get tired of mine doing the same thing and I will tighten them up as I have been on other bikes.

The minute one mentions bearings the first thing that comes to mind is a axle/wheel bearing which is subjected to heat, constant revolutions under weight/load and gobs of grease. The procedure for installing most tapered bearings is relatively the same. Snug the castle nut and remove any bearing play then back the nut off so there is some play/movement, install a cotter key or bend the tabs of a keyed locking washer. That said, the stem bearings of a motorcycle have a limited rotational movement from approximately the 10 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock position. Stop to stop movement is less that a full turn of rotation. There should be some limited concern about adjusting a loose (playful) stem bearing. Placing the bike on a good cycle jack and massage the bearing adjustment to remove any play would be a easy and good first start for remedying front wheel/tire wobble. There's nothing to loose if the stem bearing is slightly over tightened, as the first ride after adjustment would give the rider input as to such. Simply return the bike to the jack and back off on the stem nut. Nothing ventured, nothing gained:icon_wink:

1951vbs
11-25-2014, 08:20 PM
The fact that the "decel wobble" is present on some bikes but not others leads me to believe it is an adjustment issue. If you change the bearings and readjust them and the problem goes away it may be because of the adjustment and not necessarily the new bearings.

Phantom
11-26-2014, 09:55 AM
The fact that the "decel wobble" is present on some bikes but not others leads me to believe it is an adjustment issue. If you change the bearings and readjust them and the problem goes away it may be because of the adjustment and not necessarily the new bearings.

:icon_cool::yes:

grendl
11-30-2014, 06:21 PM
The first time I got into the steering head bearsings on a bike was my 1980 Yamaha. Even though we dont think of it as much these days the bike had more horsepower than the frame would take in long sweepers. I swapped the shocks, adjusted them hard put different springs in the forks( dont remember what they were) thickened the fork oil and all of that improved the wobble at speed but didn't cure it.
I finally tighten the Steering head and that was the best reduction that I got.
Had the same experience and 'fix' on my Connie.
Fast forward to my CBR1000.
Had a slight wobble if you let go the bars. I didn't want to fool with it so off to the dealer. He replaced the front tire( it needed it because of cupping) replaced the wheel bearings. No change.
So I asked them to replace the steering head with stock bearings.
No change.
I took it back and asked them to tighten it more. They balked at that giving me all the reasons I shouldn't do that including you shouldn't take your hands off the bars any way. My counter was it shouldn't wiggle.
Finally I convinced them to "just do it" and VOILA !
No more wobble, handling more precise and the bike was beautiful to ride. Better than when I got it.
My F6B has the 30-40 MPH wiggle. It is steady at speed and through curves so it is a minor thing ..BUT.When I have it in for any service I cant do, guess what I'm going to ask? Tighten them down !
Maybe I ride hard- I don't think so - there are faster riders but my belief is that it should NOT wobble-ever -and my experience has been to snug them up a bit...Of course you don't want them so tight you have to push hard, they shouldn't drag or fight you but for me ,I need that control.