PDA

View Full Version : Sweet!!!

BACA
06-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Got em today.........about a 20 minute install and they are SWEET!

Mrf13
06-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Agreed
Ordered mine a few days ago

Cool Hand Luke
06-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I like them too. I put pictures of mine under Rivco Products thread in Vendors category...

GiddyupF6B
06-27-2013, 04:36 PM
You can flip those out with your boot while riding? My chins hit the fairing just above the brake pedal when I stretch my legs, these are long enough to keep your feet out enough to avoid doing that? They look sweet! Just want to make sure before I order.

Cool Hand Luke
06-27-2013, 05:56 PM
You can flip those out with your boot while riding? My chins hit the fairing just above the brake pedal when I stretch my legs, these are long enough to keep your feet out enough to avoid doing that? They look sweet! Just want to make sure before I order.

You can but the back of pegs are very rounded so it can be difficult. I am considering adding a small piece of metal or hard plastic as a way to catch the peg with a boot to flick it open easier. Very easy to close, though.

The pegs mount high enough not to be in the way of break pedal, if I understand your question correctly. They do easily adjust front/back at least couple of inches, which should make it easy to find a 'sweet spot'. I am 6' tall and I used the farthest setting as I like to stretch my legs. You will also not rest inside of your legs on hot engine covers, legs contact the fairing.

Check out my pictures in here: http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?39-RIVCO-Products

I hope this helps.

Darkknight
06-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Very nice. I ordered mine a few weeks ago, can't wait!

BACA
06-27-2013, 06:19 PM

I can flip mine out with the toe of my boot. The bolt that the peg swivels on is a locker (?) type nut and the tension can be adjusted for your personal preference, by tightening or loosening the nut.

My Aero pegs are mounted all the way to the rear and I would speculate that there are about 3 more inches more adjustment to the front for those with longer legs (my inseam is 30"). Cool Hand Luke's are mounted more to the front so he would be better to explain about the comfort for those with longer legs.

Cool Hand Luke
06-27-2013, 07:06 PM
I can see the pegs being much easier to open the closer they are to the rider. The way mine are setup makes them very comfortable as I like to stretch my legs once in a while. Pegs can definitely be opened while riding even mounted in the most forward position, just not as easy as they could have been due to them being rounded at the edge. This makes them somewhat difficult to flick open with the edge of your boot as there is a small contact point. It would have been much easier if the shape was a little different or maybe the peg extended further than the peg mount. Than the boot would catch it easier. However, with practice I'm sure one can get very proficient at it so it's not a deal breaker in my opinion. I like them too much...

Comfort is a personal thing, but I can tell you for me at 6' tall, 32" inseam they are very comfortable, perfect in fact. I used to have Rivco pegs mounted on engine protector bars on my GW and while comfortable I had to be careful not to rub my leg against the hot engine covers. No such problem with these. Also, the ability to adjust them front to back should make them usable for almost anyone.

Looks are subjective as well, for me these are the nicest looking pegs I've seen so far. I had similar pegs on my K1200LT but these I believe are better.

Trike lady
06-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Those look very nice.

F6B-RICH
06-27-2013, 09:15 PM
They are sweet for sure. I am waiting for my credit card to cool off after buying a Corbin seat and Torqmaster pipes. They are next on my list :clap2: for sure.

Fluegs
06-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Are there any concerns about the added stress these put on the valve cover mounting bosses on the heads? This is the only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on this new product.

micky_foccer
06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Put mine on today. Ride tested them and they work great!

Cool Hand Luke
06-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Are there any concerns about the added stress these put on the valve cover mounting bosses on the heads? This is the only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on this new product.

In my opinion there is no problem, very solid mount. Only time will tell for sure.

BACA
06-28-2013, 11:26 PM

I road tested mine and they are very solid and secure. Remember these are not foot pegs but foot rests. They are not designed for your entire weight on them like the foot pegs are...front or rear. They are designed to be used an an alternate foot rest so you can stretch those legs out while cruising down the hiway. Granted if the bike falls with the foot rests out it will do some major damage to the mounting bosses and the valve covers, but I got into the habit of not using them and folding them in when I am in heavy traffic, in town or going slow. On the open road I use them regularly.

The only thing I worry about is forgetting to fold them back in when I pull into a gas station and getting them hung up on a gas pump hose....that happened to a friend of mine and it wasn't pretty.

Ride Safe But Often!!!

micky_foccer
06-29-2013, 12:15 AM
I left mine open in the garage just to show my wife how nice and clean they looked. I think you'd have to be blind and oblivious to have a mishap at a gas station ;-)

yellowskeeter1
06-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I really like these, buy my concern is how far the stick out in the closed position that even in the event of laying one over, the are further out than the engine guards. The picture on the top right shows that. Can you verify and let me know ?

bobbyf6b
06-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Is that chrome piece on the bike where they mount just a cosmetic piece? Is there any exposure of engine parts?

I like the pegs and will probably add them in the future.

Cool Hand Luke
06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
I really like these, buy my concern is how far the stick out in the closed position that even in the event of laying one over, the are further out than the engine guards. The picture on the top right shows that. Can you verify and let me know ?

In the closed position the pegs do stick out farther than the front engine protector bars, but not by much. You can review the pictures of mine here:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?39-RIVCO-Products

I do not know if in certain type of tip over the pegs would or would not cause damage, everything's possible. In my opinion, in the worst case scenario one might need to replace the valve cover on the tipped over side, if damaged. Quite possibly the valve cover might survive the drop, especially if pegs are folded at the time of drop. I think this would be a good question for Rivco as they may have already tested it for this.

For me, I am fine with it. I haven't dropped a bike in decades and this one has such low center of gravity I don't forsee it being a problem. If I happen to fall while riding, the pegs causing damage to valve cover would be the least of my worries. Anything to do with bikes is a benefit vs. risk so to me the benefit of these pegs outweighs the risk. Just came back from a 200 mile ride today and these pegs are just wonderful.

Cool Hand Luke
06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Is that chrome piece on the bike where they mount just a cosmetic piece? Is there any exposure of engine parts?

I like the pegs and will probably add them in the future.

Yes, the chromed piece is just cosmetic, I believe it is plastic. There is no exposure of engine parts, you could ride the bike without the chrome piece. It even mounts with the double sided tape!

Rivco mount is metal, much thicker than the original chromed piece, very solid. It might be that way that in the event of tip over it would spread the force over the greater surface area and prevent damage to valve covers, and of course to support the weight of your feet on the pegs.

Pegs are very nice and functional. In my opinion they enhance the esthetics of the bike and don't look tacked on.

BillyDaFinn
06-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Damit! This bike is torturing my credit card! You guys convinced me, ordered mine yesterday...... sweet pegs, my goal is to keep the bike dark and sleek, no "tack-on" adds, and NO chrome!

Fluegs
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
OK Maybe someone here can help me! I have called Rivco twice, and the tech dept has not returned my calls.
I would like to know how these are mounted and what do they attach to. In other words, do they use bolt, double sided tape, string, gum...? and do they attach to the valve covers, heads, exhaust manifolds, front wheel....? (kidding about the gum and wheel). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cool Hand Luke
07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
OK Maybe someone here can help me! I have called Rivco twice, and the tech dept has not returned my calls.
I would like to know how these are mounted and what do they attach to. In other words, do they use bolt, double sided tape, string, gum...? and do they attach to the valve covers, heads, exhaust manifolds, front wheel....? (kidding about the gum and wheel). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Well, they attach to existing valve covers using existing two bolts per side. The original chrome strip is plastic and is held in place with said screws and double sided tape. Rivco bracket is metal and much thicker. There is nothing weak about the brackets that I can tell. It's all metal and works as advertised.

I hope this helps. Also look at above posts for pictures as well as link I posted to my own pictures in a different post.

BACA
07-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Well, they attach to existing valve covers using existing two bolts per side. The original chrome strip is plastic and is held in place with said screws and double sided tape. Rivco bracket is metal and much thicker. There is nothing weak about the brackets that I can tell. It's all metal and works as advertised.

I hope this helps. Also look at above posts for pictures as well as link I posted to my own pictures in a different post.

Here are some pics that hopefully will answer your questions as Cool Hand Luke has explained it.

The first pic is the two bolt holes that the metal bracket is attached to...the chrome piece has been removed as well as the left over two sided tape......also in the first pic is the bottom valve cover mounted with the three stock hex head bolts......the second pic is the metal bracket installed and shows the mount for the pegs with the mounting holes.......the third pic is the foot rest mounted to the metal bracket. There are five holes (two of which are used) for adjustment. Hope this helps.

Sorry for the blurry pictures..........

GAWD I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!
Ride Safe and often!!!!

Fluegs
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys! That helped a lot. My last question is....is the purpose of the two existing screws that the bracket mounts to originally to bolt the top and bottom valve covers together, and they do not connect to the heads. Make sense?

BACA
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys! That helped a lot. My last question is....is the purpose of the two existing screws that the bracket mounts to originally to bolt the top and bottom valve covers together, and they do not connect to the heads. Make sense?

Without taking it all apart again...........Yes! After the valve covers are bolted to the heads using the three bolts on top and bottom, there are two bolt holes (lack of a better term), which are attached to the valve covers (I can't remember if it's the top one or the bottom one or both) where the bracket bolt mounts to.

Fluegs
07-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Without taking it all apart again...........Yes! After the valve covers are bolted to the heads using the three bolts on top and bottom, there are two bolt holes (lack of a better term), which are attached to the valve covers (I can't remember if it's the top one or the bottom one or both) where the bracket bolt mounts to.

Great! Thanks. My concern was that the brackets where connected to the heads, and could cause damage to one in case of an accident. Valve cover replacement is not that big of a problem. Think I will order a set in the morning.

BillyDaFinn
07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
I ordered mine last week, got a call from Rivco today, said the pegs won't ship for 2-3 weeks so no need for fast delivery service.

BACA
07-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Great! Thanks. My concern was that the brackets where connected to the heads, and could cause damage to one in case of an accident. Valve cover replacement is not that big of a problem. Think I will order a set in the morning.

I road tested mine on Saturday and they are nice....stylish....and the best set up I have ever had on my Goldwings, Valkyrie and other bikes I've owned......you will like them, quality workmanship and well worth the price.

Ride Safe but often!

bobbyf6b
07-01-2013, 10:46 PM
BACA, thanks for taking them apart and posting the pics. Clears it up for us.

My question is, how hot are your shins, ankles and feet sitting next the the valve covers? And I'm sure the radiator fans are blowing hot air on your legs too. Too much heat is a serious issue in the scorching desert.

:bronze07:

BACA
07-01-2013, 11:12 PM
BACA, thanks for taking them apart and posting the pics. Clears it up for us.

My question is, how hot are your shins, ankles and feet sitting next the the valve covers? And I'm sure the radiator fans are blowing hot air on your legs too. Too much heat is a serious issue in the scorching desert.

:bronze07:

Wish I could comment on how hot your shins will get, but here in the NW, we do not get the hot weather like you folks to in Arizona. Saturday when I was riding it was about 82, which is a little above normal for us. My shins didn't get warm at all.