PDA

View Full Version : Grip Puppies

bob109
06-27-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm in awe! Ordered a pair of Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring on Tuesday morning 6/25 and they were in my mail box at 11:30 a.m. today. Paid $2.82 shipping for USPS First Class. That has to be one of the quickest shipments from West to East Coasts I can recall:clap2:

Took all of 10 minutes to install the Puppies. A bit of soapy water on the grips and the internal surfaces of the tubes and they went on without much effort. Used my air nozzle to push any water/soap from the mating surfaces. A few hours in the sun will rid any remaining moisture. The increased diameter of the grips are just what I was looking for:icon_biggrin: Hopefully between thunder storms I'll get a chance to try them out:icon_lol:

Texas TC
06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
You should like them. I have been using some version of soft grips on all my Wings and I like the feel much better than the hard rubber small grips that come stock.

GiddyupF6B
06-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Same here, I ordered mine 2 days ago and they came today! I will say that I thought from the pictures that the outside was a smooth surface (exactly how the inside looks) not "sponge" like. I hope to get these on this weekend.

F6B-RICH
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM
I have had my Grip Puppies for about a week already and they are great :icon_biggrin: very happy with them.

Steve 0080
06-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I want the shark puppies and can't find where to order them...it is the same company ...just can't find them except in a magazine...

bob109
06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
I want the shark puppies and can't find where to order them...it is the same company ...just can't find them except in a magazine...

Steve:

Check this site out! They may have what your looking for!

Bob

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kTL.8xRuh0ATVlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dWkwNm9 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1ZJUDA0OV83N A--/SIG=12lbtm7ge/EXP=1372417099/**http%3a//store.bobsbmw.com/product/neoprene-grip-covers---sharkskin

Steve 0080
06-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks Bob...there are in the mail!!! I will be gifting a regular set of Grip Puppies at Franklin!!!

Steve 0080
07-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Still not here???

thunder217
07-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Bod109, the sharkskins are listed on ebay for 24.95. :yes:

GiddyupF6B
07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Bod109, the sharkskins are listed on ebay for 24.95. :yes:

Are the Shark skins different from the "Grip puppies"? Mine were $11? I know they are different name brands but is that all?

Gperson
07-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Ordered these and they work great!!!:yes:

http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067

Super fast shipping also!!!
I would recommend and will order again from Shinhopples :icon_biggrin:

Ride Safe,
G

Steve 0080
07-18-2013, 09:05 PM
My Shark Skins are still not here......................maybe time to go somewhere else.......need to check my CC and see if they were charged on there??????

Steve 0080
07-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Just ordered them again........................................:jerk it:

gamersince1976
07-19-2013, 05:42 AM
I think I may try the grip puppies - I'm not really happy with the shark skins. They leave an uneven gap at the seam (which is a design problem - since they're wrapped around the grips there's always tension there at the velcro), and they're a little too narrow for my taste. Feels like I can only put my hands in one position now.

The grip puppies look like a good solution, at least for the rest of the summer. At $13.65 shipped they're worth the risk. Eventually I think I'll go with the gloss black Kuryakyn grips with weighted bar ends - but that's something that can wait until the riding season is over.

Steve 0080
07-19-2013, 08:20 AM
UUMMMMM......I have the original grip puppies and I find them to big for my hand...I hear ya with the seam...but if you moved the seam to a point on your hand, you may not feel it.....You pay for shipping and I will send you my original set...I would also ask that you pay your set forward.....

gamersince1976
07-19-2013, 08:25 PM
UUMMMMM......I have the original grip puppies and I find them to big for my hand...I hear ya with the seam...but if you moved the seam to a point on your hand, you may not feel it.....You pay for shipping and I will send you my original set...I would also ask that you pay your set forward.....

Steve,

I have the seam on the Shark Skins in the recommended position - but, as you've inferred, I have pretty large mitts that wrap all the way around the grips at all times. There's no "comfortable" position for it.

I've already pulled the trigger on the Grip Puppies (followed the helpful link posted earlier by Gperson), but I'd be more than happy to ship the Shark Skins off to whoever was willing to pay for shipping. The only thing is that they attach via an adhesive strip - I would think it would be less effective the second time.

Nevertheless, if anyone wants them send me a PM with your info. Hell, forget the shipping. I need the karma anyway. As soon as I get the Grip Puppies I'll put em in the mail.

Steve 0080
07-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks...I will have my set on the auction table in Franklin as well.....

KGREEN
07-20-2013, 07:43 AM
I have had the Grip Puppies on now for about a month and I really like them. Feels more like the Harley and Victory grip sizes that I am used to.

gamersince1976
07-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Just a quick update on the Grip Puppies - got them in the mail (pretty fast shipping, too) and I couldn't be happier with them. Installation is a breeze, and the feel is MUCH better.

Also, as expected, the Shark Skins adhesive didn't hold up enough to be reused on another bike, so I had to toss those.

bob109
05-12-2014, 02:08 AM
Just shy of a year since installing a pair of Grip Puppies and they are shot! One of the grips started to split so I removed them. Ordered 4 pair from Shinhoppies. They offer a slight discount for any orders over 1 pair. The Value Purchase Option: 4 Pair +$14.85 plus $7.45 shipping! Their prices are lower than most for the same product as the Puppies are not packaged.

I'll give a update once received! The fitment is for a GL1800 Wing which should be the same grip size as the F6B.

Scotrod
05-12-2014, 08:08 AM
http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

royr
05-12-2014, 08:28 AM
My Shark Skins are still not here......................maybe time to go somewhere else.......need to check my CC and see if they were charged on there??????
I ordered a set of Shark Skins off Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=shark+skin+grips&_vxp=mtr

choptop
05-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I ordered a set of Shark Skins off Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Parts-Accessories-/6028/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=shark+skin+grips&_vxp=mtr

I love my Sharkskins.

Scotrod
05-12-2014, 07:44 PM
I've had GP's before, but didn't really grow fond of the concept,,, Seemed a bit 'warmer' than harder/textured grips,, (I'm in ;sunny; Texas, y'all!)

On prior rides, the Avon "Contour Air Cushioned" grips were pretty nice,,, Didn't need a 'death-grip' to hold 'em and the air circulated well,,,

Aeson
05-17-2014, 09:56 PM
+1 on the Grip Puppies. Great feel. Nice Size.

smokinjoe187
05-17-2014, 10:03 PM
im a big guy and the grip puppys were just the ticket!!

CaptRob
05-18-2014, 11:47 AM
I have 2 pair GPs that I got after reading this thread. Not for me. The first 2 people to give me their address, I will send each a pair. I will even pay shipping.:yikes:
Bam. yeah come on!

edgeman55
05-18-2014, 01:06 PM
I have 2 pair GPs that I got after reading this thread. Not for me. The first 2 people to give me their address, I will send each a pair. I will even pay shipping.:yikes:
Bam. yeah come on!

Sent you a PM.Thanks for the offer to try these.If we ever meet up I owe you a cold one.

Slowpoke
05-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Also sent a pm

CaptRob
05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Okay. I had 3 requests for the Grip Puppies. I do happen to have 3 pair but ,I cut an inch off of one to accommodate my go-cruise. In fairness Dirtstiff was 1st
Edgeman was 2nd and.. hehe ..Slowpoke ( pun intended) was 3rd to respond. I will send my 3rd set to Slowpoke even though I trimmed one so maybe it won't be a big deal or at least he can try em' out. BTW they are only tube dense foam insulation that happens to slide over the grips with a soap solution, I used windex. As soon as I can get to the post office , Probably tomorrow I'll send them out.

edgeman55
05-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Okay. I had 3 requests for the Grip Puppies. I do happen to have 3 pair but ,I cut an inch off of one to accommodate my go-cruise. In fairness Dirtstiff was 1st
Edgeman was 2nd and.. hehe ..Slowpoke ( pun intended) was 3rd to respond. I will send my 3rd set to Slowpoke even though I trimmed one so maybe it won't be a big deal or at least he can try em' out. BTW they are only tube dense foam insulation that happens to slide over the grips with a soap solution, I used windex. As soon as I can get to the post office , Probably tomorrow I'll send them out.

Thanks again for the pay foward on this Rob.Look foward to trying these out and if they don't work for me I will offer them out like you did.

CaptRob
05-20-2014, 08:51 PM
they are in the mail gentlemen.

bob109
05-22-2014, 04:21 PM
USPS finally delivered my Grip Puppies today. Received 4 pair, just what I ordered, so I have some spares on hand! Installation was a breeze. A misting of Ammonia/Water mixture on the grips and inside the Puppie Tubes and they slid into place with ease. Based on just 11 months of service from the first pair, I should be good for several years:icon_biggrin:

smokinjoe187
05-22-2014, 05:26 PM
after my first year of using them i finally ordered 2 more pair
one pair 4.5 inches to accomodate my throttle lock and a 5 inch pair for the other side..
now i have new ones and a set of spares

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-23-2014, 03:39 PM
they are in the mail gentlemen.

Thanks for your generosity Capt. I got them today and installed, Thanks!!

Jim

edgeman55
05-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Jim

Thanks again for mine Capt Rob.Just got home and they were waitin for me in the mailbox.Will install them in a few minutes and look foward to trying them out tommorow.

Gene

CaptRob
05-24-2014, 12:01 AM

Jim

No worries enjoy

CaptRob
05-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks again for mine Capt Rob.Just got home and they were waitin for me in the mailbox.Will install them in a few minutes and look foward to trying them out tommorow.

Gene

You got it!!

Texas TC
05-25-2014, 11:56 AM
I put original GP's on my F6B when I first got the bike. After 14 months and almost 19000 miles, they are still in great shape. The OEM grips are just too small for me. Also, I didin't find GP's to be hot at all last summer in the hot Texas sun. I always ran similar grips on my Harley's so they feel just right in my hands. I guess, like everything, personal preference.

bob109
10-07-2015, 04:27 AM
Just replaced my Puppies! This is the third set for me! Got 11 months from the first pair and 17 months from the second pair. The right puppy began to separate, so off with the old and on with the new. Made a change to my installation procedure. The first pair I used a 50/50 mix of Ammonia and water which worked OK. This time around I used a drop of Dish Washing Detergent with a little water and a acid brush to apply the mixture to the OEM grips. The puppies literally slipped right on. Then took my air gun and gave each a shot of air to memove any water/soap residue. Worked like a charm.

I love the feel of the GP's. With my big mitts, the increased diameter over the OEM grips makes for a perfect/comfortable fit:icon_wink:

pdxstriper
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Yeah the stock handgrips seemed very tiny, like I was gripping a #2 pencil. So I added grips right away. I've put them on all my bikes and yes they work fine with the heated grips.

I mentioned the small diameter to a Goldwing rider friend, he commented "I guess it's what you are used to". Then he laughed. Took me a moment to get the joke.

MisterB
10-10-2015, 12:20 PM
http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

Scotrod, thanks for that!

Soapy water and air from compressor eased the install. It's like riding a new bike.
I had issues with my right hand going numb on my ST1300, had hoped it was riding position or vibration specific to the ST, same thing on the F6B.
After just a day with the puppies it seems the numbness may be gone for good.
I don't have massive hands but the stock grips are just so small. The larger diameter also seems to allow finer control.
Fantastic upgrade!!