PDA

View Full Version : Somebody managed ape hangers

F6BPDX
11-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Edit*** -looks like its a member here actually, mctommy65 :yes:

Found this over on advriders, no details, but someone pulled it off.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/attachment-1.jpeg

bobbyf6b
11-28-2014, 01:57 AM
That looks like GoAz Motorcycles in Scottsdale, Az. That's where I bought my bike, but I haven't seen that one.

nox
11-28-2014, 02:14 AM

If people want a custom Harley then buy a custom Harley and stop trying to make every bike look like one. :icon_doh:

JackB
11-28-2014, 08:08 AM
I like the red wheels. :yes:

chipmaker
11-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Looks great, can't believe no one else has done this...

Steve 0080
11-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Yep...black and red were my schools colors !!! Hot !!! and for those who have never tried the apes...they are extremely comfortable to ride !!! I don't see the problem with making your bike "yours".... I know I own stock in a couple of our vendors businesses !!!!!

The KW shield is HOT as well but they will not be making a TALL shield....

Phantom
11-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Yep...black and red were my schools colors !!! Hot !!! and for those who have never tried the apes...they are extremely comfortable to ride !!! I don't see the problem with making your bike "yours".... I know I own stock in a couple of our vendors businesses !!!!!

X2

Not my style, but can appreciate the talent and skill behind the project.

ANOTHER Black bike that added a touch of red for improved top speed performance :duck: ..... :icon_lol::yes:

Old Ryder
11-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Owning the "faster" red bike, I can't help but wonder what the red wheels look like on it?

mctommy65
11-28-2014, 09:03 AM
:icon_biggrin:
If people want a custom Harley then buy a custom Harley and stop trying to make every bike look like one. :icon_doh:

53driver
11-28-2014, 09:28 AM
I would really like to know what had to go into that mod.....I don't necessarily want full apes, but I would like to envision mini-apes. Had a shoulder surgery and mini-apes (like my Heritage) are as high as I can comfortably go.
Also, teaching the BRC2 and ARC might prove to be difficult with anything higher.
Looks sharp!
Steve

Jimmytee
11-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Anymore pics and details?

FF-Ed
11-28-2014, 11:12 AM
I just learned that those bars are way past the legal limit in Ohio.

I didn't know Ohio had a law re: Ape hangers.. Last week I was required to take some recurrent training

for the Sheriff's Office I work for... I elected to take a short online course on "motorcycle safety"

Safety my Arse, it was all Enforcement! One section was on handlebars... Handlebar grips may be NO MORE than 15" above the

center of the saddle or seat where the driver sits. That measurement is calculated by measuring up then using a horizontal line to the top of the grips...

15" isn't that much really.

That got me thinking... My F6B bars rise up nearly a foot... and my seat is below the bar mounts...

I went out and measured it. It was legal, but not by much.

Apes in Ohio? good Luck if you want them... Every trooper in Ohio who needs a little recurrent trng time will take this new short course. I see alot of guys getting popped this summer.

ChainsawChuck
11-28-2014, 02:10 PM
I also like the red wheels, did you paint them or have them powder coated? Sharp looking bike!

XKnight
11-28-2014, 03:32 PM

The KW shield is HOT as well but they will not be making a TALL shield....

Agreed! That bike looks cool and as long as the owner likes it that's all that matters.

Regarding the KW shield, I saw on their website that they now offer a taller vented shield for the GW. Seems the KW GW tall shield should fit our F6B. I have a Vstream made for a GW on my F6B and I was able to install it with no issues. GW shields appear to be interchangeable with the F6B.

Steve 0080
11-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Just stating what the GM said to me in Daytona...thats why I ordered a Clearview...

SpeedyWho
11-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Those apes gotta kill the handling of the 6.

1951vbs
11-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Nice Hot Rod look, very well done.:yes::yes::yes:

shooter
11-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Hey Tommy , not my cup of tea but I like it for you brother. I don't believe you was trying to make it look like a Harley but rather an F6B with apes. Like the red wheels. Do your thing man. There are always haters. Ignore them. Until they start making your payments its your to do as you want. Mod on!!!!

mctommy65
11-28-2014, 08:24 PM
That looks like GoAz Motorcycles in Scottsdale, Az. That's where I bought my bike, but I haven't seen that one.

Yes, it's Go AZ in Scottsdale. I work there, come on up and see my bike!

mctommy65
11-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey Tommy , not my cup of tea but I like it for you brother. I don't believe you was trying to make it look like a Harley but rather an F6B with apes. Like the red wheels. Do your thing man. There are always haters. Ignore them. Until they start making your payments its your to do as you want. Mod on!!!!

Thanks Shooter! It's my first GL and I love it. I'm just making it mine! And it handles great!

mctommy65
11-28-2014, 08:30 PM

I also like the red wheels, did you paint them or have them powder coated? Sharp looking bike!

They are powder coated, it's holds up much better than paint.

mctommy65
11-28-2014, 08:32 PM

They don't kill the handling, if anything I like it better. But I've had many apes for years and years and am used to them.

Phantom
11-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Tommy .......

:postpics:

SpeedyWho
11-28-2014, 11:03 PM
They don't kill the handling, if anything I like it better. But I've had many apes for years and years and am used to them.

OK cool, I guess its all what you're used to. Enjoy :headbang:

nox
11-29-2014, 12:29 AM

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I do like the red wheels though.:yes:

bobbyf6b
11-29-2014, 12:44 AM
I'll take some pics if I can get over that way this weekend. As long as it's ok with Tommy. :icon_cool:

Steve 0080
11-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Not sure handle bars have anything to do with the handling of a MCY... input is all that affects the turning...so much more is done in your behind !!!

XKnight
11-29-2014, 11:14 AM

Apes definitely wouldn't be desirable on the track, but for regular street riding many folks like the comfort.

hiflyer
11-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Not sure handle bars have anything to do with the handling of a MCY... input is all that affects the turning...so much more is done in your behind !!!

Surely you don't believe that.....input to the handlebars is exactly what causes motorcycle "lean".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

53driver
11-29-2014, 03:14 PM
With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).
Get some speed up then a full right turn with left arm fully extended and right arm tucked close, shifting my butt to the left.
I use substantial leg pressure on the footpegs to keep everything stabilized.
It is more difficult to perform this maneuver with higher handlebars. Yes, it can be done through practice and now I don't think too much of it except, "oh yeah - this bike."

I find my hands being just slightly lower than my shoulders quite comfortable. Higher than my shoulders is "work" and some pain due to that surgery I had years back.
This position also keeps me from the "lean-too-far-forward-sportbike" posture that puts too much pressure on my bum shoulder.
And while the stock setup is adequate, once I decide on a seat to keep forever, some sort of handlebar mod will follow. Might get away with something less costly than Helibars, but in fairness to Murphy, probably not.
Cheers,
Steve

SpeedyWho
11-29-2014, 04:34 PM

I respectfully disagree, the height and position of the handle bars effect the overall control of the bike, minor adjustments are noticeable. So I would believe large changes would be very noticeable and beyond a certain amount would very negatively effect the handling. Just my .02

Steve 0080
11-29-2014, 04:38 PM
I respectfully disagree, the hight and position of the handle bars effect the overall control of the bike, minor adjustments are noticeable. So I would believe large changes would be very noticeable and beyond a certain amount would very negatively effect the handling. Just my .02

True, but pushing on handle bars is still pushing on handle bars...

53driver
11-29-2014, 04:56 PM
True, but pushing on handle bars is still pushing on handle bars...

Yes...but the ease of difficulty or relative ease, coupled with the angle of attack of the arms doing the pushing makes for vastly different mechanics.
We've all been in the situation where we couldn't get "enough leverage" to break torque on a bolt due to the angle between our forearm and the socket wrench.
Yes, pushing handlebars doesn't (shouldn't) require that much torque, but with apes or even low drag bars, the force applied is still at an angle to the desired movement of the handlebars and requires practice and muscle group repetition to master effectively.

And Steve, with your most excellent physique so prominently displayed elsewhere in these hallowed pages, you are probably exempt.....:icon_mrgreen:
Cheers.
Steve

hiflyer
11-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Not to change the subject, but look at the photo montage of the scooter turning left in the wik. link I referenced in my earlier post. Notice what the front wheel does in initiating a left turn. This is the very reason that if you get too close to a curb, you can't get away from it, and you will crash. The front wheel has to actually turn towards the curb momentarily, to initiate motorcycle "lean" to get away from it. Maybe at slow speed you can weight transfer away from it, but if you are moving faster, prepare to crash.

hiflyer
11-29-2014, 05:44 PM
With mini-apes on the Heritage, doing the demonstration for the "Figure 8 Box Pattern" can get interesting quickly.
The first turn is to the left, so I am at full right arm forward up high AND I have to shift my butt to the right without pulling down or back on the right handgrip or pushing forward on the left grip.
Then rollout, shift butt back to middle (sometimes I cheat and overshoot to prepare for the right turn).

Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.

53driver
11-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Most of the time when I demo the box. I don't counterweight. Instead I use rear brake under power. Try it if you haven't. I use this technique in my real world riding.

I use that technique "real-world" also, but I'm also teaching the students to NOT use their brake whilst in a turn. One of my rider coaches was doing this in the box and when his brake lights came on, the students were all "Oh, oh, he is braking in a turn!"
Ensuing discussions of the physics of "power-on" rear wheel braking were not fruitful.

I do make a point of using the brake under power while demo-ing the clutch control lanes, usually accompanied by the story of using this technique to go slow enough AND be stable during the "Slow-speed-suspended-hot-dog-eating-contest."

Slow and controlled will get it every time.
Cheers,
Steve

coachk
12-01-2014, 04:38 PM
HELL YES!!! That's what I been looking for!! Hook me up with some info!! I had apes on my previous bike and swore that I'd always have them...if you haven't ridden with them, they are AWESOME!!! Loved mine and couldn't believe there wasn't something similar for my wing! Those are the only thing I miss about my old bikes and would make my wing PERFECT! So how'd ya do it? Thanks!!

coachk
12-02-2014, 09:53 PM
alright, enough suspense already!! How'd ya do it? Yes, I'm impatient...:biggthumpup:

Brian D
12-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I think it looks pretty cool. Well done

austin_tech
12-03-2014, 03:57 PM
I think it's in the same category as mopeds and fat chicks :icon_biggrin:

But right on, dude!

DJ TONY G
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Nicely done!! There's a few (F6B)of us here in PHX that ride alot. You can send me a PM here or my facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DSDJTONYG

Tony G

Steve 0080
12-04-2014, 09:26 AM
I think it's in the same category as mopeds and fat chicks :icon_biggrin:

But right on, dude!

Funny how people REFUSE to try something...the reason that I posted in the first place was to lighten up the thread... First if someone wants anything on their bike...well... it IS their bike. Yes I know that if you are bent over in the twistys and the bitch is screaming you are far better off on a sport bike with sport bike bars... WE on the other hand have chosen a fat gurl and although very nimble...still a little over weight... WE need to "like" other's bikes even though in the back of our mind we think they have bumped their head.... The owner of the bike w/ Apes no doubt loves his bike and I love it for him!

Thanks Steve for the accolade about my physique .... although I go Tue to see if I am getting a knee replacement... still tough, but my parts are wearing out !!!

jkelley
12-04-2014, 10:16 AM
I have to agree with Steve here, What ever you want to do with YOUR bike is ok by me. Personally I cant see how Apes could be comfortable, But I am told they are. I would love to try a set to see..........

austin_tech
12-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Funny how people REFUSE to try something...the reason that I posted in the first place was to lighten up the thread... First if someone wants anything on their bike...well... it IS their bike. Yes I know that if you are bent over in the twistys and the bitch is screaming you are far better off on a sport bike with sport bike bars... WE on the other hand have chosen a fat gurl and although very nimble...still a little over weight... WE need to "like" other's bikes even though in the back of our mind we think they have bumped their head.... The owner of the bike w/ Apes no doubt loves his bike and I love it for him!

Thanks Steve for the accolade about my physique .... although I go Tue to see if I am getting a knee replacement... still tough, but my parts are wearing out !!!

Guys, can we have a little humor on this board without rallying the PC police in every instance?

hiflyer
12-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I think it looks cool as heck. If I had two F6B's, one of them would look just like his. Sometimes it's all about the look. Thank goodness my wife wasn't too worried about looks when she married me.

F6BPDX
12-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I think it looks cool as heck. If I had two F6B's, one of them would look just like his. Sometimes it's all about the look. Thank goodness my wife wasn't too worried about looks when she married me.

I want a victory highball for that very reason. Sometimes you just want to look cool for a minute.

Steve 0080
12-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Guys, can we have a little humor on this board without rallying the PC police in every instance?

Trust me... I am the LAST person anyone would accuse of being PC.... however WE don't kick another man's bike, wife or beliefs ....

kjelders
12-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Trust me... I am the LAST person anyone would accuse of being PC.... however WE don't kick another man's bike, wife or beliefs ....

hey...hey....sometimes I get confused and kiss the dog and kick the wife. Is that a problem? :icon_mrgreen:

By the way, my new Victory CCT will have apes on it....as soon as Victory ships the bars to my dealer.

F6BPDX
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
hey...hey....sometimes I get confused and kiss the dog and kick the wife. Is that a problem? :icon_mrgreen:

Depends if the wife is into that sort of thing. :hump::yikes:

Steve 0080
12-04-2014, 06:21 PM
No Sir... Kiss away...

coachk
12-04-2014, 07:59 PM
I have to agree with Steve here, What ever you want to do with YOUR bike is ok by me. Personally I cant see how Apes could be comfortable, But I am told they are. I would love to try a set to see..........

I had 16" apes on my roadstar, hands at shoulder height... I got them because of the looks but they were the most comfortable addition i've ever made to a bike! Still waiting on the info so I can make this my winter mod!

hiflyer
12-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I had 16" apes on my roadstar, hands at shoulder height... I got them because of the looks but they were the most comfortable addition i've ever made to a bike! Still waiting on the info so I can make this my winter mod!

Looks like to me you could buy some ape hangers, get a bar back kit where you would have something that bolts up, employee the services of a good welder, then have the whole shabang powder coated. Custom clutch and brake hoses, but your on your own for electrics and throttle cables. This isn't that big of a deal to get done.

Limoles
12-04-2014, 11:07 PM
For the simple reason , which is luck of proper circulation in my arms and hands - I WOULDN'T DO IT ... But that's me :nono:

bobbyf6b
12-04-2014, 11:18 PM

53driver
12-05-2014, 08:25 AM
^ I like it !

coachk
12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Looks like to me you could buy some ape hangers, get a bar back kit where you would have something that bolts up, employee the services of a good welder, then have the whole shabang powder coated. Custom clutch and brake hoses, but your on your own for electrics and throttle cables. This isn't that big of a deal to get done.

Yeah I extended all the electrical and did the new brake, clutch, and throttle lines...that really wasn't a big deal, but I'm not a metal fab guy...i was just wanting to know how he did the handlebars...guess you could just have someone weld some extensions into the existing ones

hiflyer
12-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Yeah I extended all the electrical and did the new brake, clutch, and throttle lines...that really wasn't a big deal, but I'm not a metal fab guy...i was just wanting to know how he did the handlebars...guess you could just have someone weld some extensions into the existing ones

I'm sure that's what he did, as far as I know, no one makes a true replacement bar. A good welder could take some bar back/risers such as these:
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Risers/Kuryakyn-Handlebar-Risers/Setbacks-for-2001-2012-Honda-GL1800-Gold-Wing/174267.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAzIWkBRDO5LDEn8G1nAUSJADn Hq_5WQr6cHQqOMmFYbyRGlRSIMVYGiQtKaXk9086-YwC2RoCfjXw_wcB

and make any bar mountable. You just have to be innovative. A number of us have used innovation for removable trunks and many other accsys. that no one makes off the shelf.

It would be nice if the dude that did it would let those interested know how he did it.

Primo
12-05-2014, 02:29 PM
...It would be nice if the dude that did it would let those interested know how he did it.

Maybe too obvious but a direct private message to the owner of the bike might be better than waiting possibly forever for him to return to this thread.

BTW: I like the ape setup and the over all aesthetic.

edgeman55
12-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Perfect name for that bike:lolup:

Trike lady
12-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Perfect name for that bike:lolup:
It's better than a cafe racer.

smokinjoe187
12-05-2014, 04:55 PM

i cant believe no one has asked him if it was a custom job or where they actually came from
and while im on the soapbox
who cares if you have a negative opionion of these bars
the really cool thing about this website is the exchange of info
if you want to preach go to the church web site
goldwing owners have a huge stick up there ass about their bikes
i love mine
i dont care what you ride,not my business
we have had real great info on this web site but now it seems like its going the old goldwing way
that bike might not be everyones taste but shit he stepped up
thats the important part,great job

Phantom
12-05-2014, 06:25 PM
we have had real great info on this web site,
that bike might not be everyones taste but shit he stepped up thats the important part,great job

X2
Not my style, but I can appreciate the talent and skill behind the project.

The above was my earlier comment at the beginning of this post.

As of late there have been posts or portions of posts that have added ZERO value to the topic at hand. If something does not appeal to your taste, say so and leave at that. Continuing with deragatory comments is un-necessary. You have to give credit to those that dedicate their money, time and effort creating a modification that suits their desires.

Heck, I added a mohawk to my 3 wheeler, I like it and that's all that matters to me. Some think it looks silly, to me it exposes the little Rebel inside of me :icon_twisted:

Let's appreciate everyones talents regardless if it's not something that would work for you.

smokinjoe187
12-05-2014, 07:17 PM
The above was my earlier comment at the beginning of this post.

As of late there have been posts or portions of posts that have added ZERO value to the topic at hand. If something does not appeal to your taste, say so and leave at that. Continuing with deragatory comments is un-necessary. You have to give credit to those that dedicate their money, time and effort creating a modification that suits their desires.

Heck, I added a mohawk to my 3 wheeler, I like it and that's all that matters to me. Some think it looks silly, to me it exposes the little Rebel inside of me :icon_twisted:

Let's appreciate everyones talents regardless if it's not something that would work for you.
+1

NOMOHARLEY
12-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Has anyone found out who did the mod on the apes and what the cost was.

BBB
12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
i cant believe no one has asked him if it was a custom job or where they actually came from
i love mine
we have had real great info on this web site but now it seems like its going the old goldwing way

I cannot agree more!!

Johncmendenhall
12-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Well said Phantom, my sentiments exactly.
Those apers look great, really changes the whole dynamic of the MC.
And with that KW flair windshield, really sets it off.
Time, money and passion went into that F6B, well done.
Bravo Zulu says I.

racer
06-12-2015, 09:15 PM

Sorry, that DOES NOT look like a Harley. :lolup:

NO ONE can confuse an F6B with a Harley. .batman-smilie.

It looks WAAAY to cool to be a Harley!

53driver
06-13-2015, 08:12 AM
There is a thread here with that picture of the F6B and the apes - I remember seeing that pic....
IIRC he said the dealer did it for him so there was limited info of the "how."

I could be completely incorrect though - I'm not accountable to accurately remember anything before breakfast of the previous day.

firetat2
09-28-2016, 10:16 PM
What would that cost to do????? tommy

kenny urban
09-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks Shooter! It's my first GL and I love it. I'm just making it mine! And it handles great!
:icon_biggrin:now all I get is people telling me that I must not like my wife, of how do I pick-up women hitchhickers, I just call-it a SL1800 ( SOLO )

firetat2
10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Hey what went into those handle bars? Price?

firetat2
10-20-2016, 04:32 PM
i love mine

want to do the apes on mine, Tommy what was the cost of the mod, and what bars did u use how high?

F6Brian
06-03-2017, 05:24 PM

If people want a custom F6B by all means build on. It's their bike to do what they want. Maybe he wants that look with Honda reliability. Maybe he likes 6 cylinders. To each their own.👌