PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get back into flying

Spanky
12-01-2014, 11:03 AM
So, a number of years ago, 15 in fact, in a far away land called Alabama, I learned to fly 152 and 172 fixed wings. I want to get back into it. As we have alot of pilots on this board, i'd like to hear your experience on stepping away and coming back. I'll look for a local FBO here in NC, but if there is a school that can do a S.H.I.T (Special High Intensity Training) :-) course please let me know. anything changed?

53driver
12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I hung up my wings when I retired. When/if I complete my project of building one of these:

I will be back in the game, but only in the severely recreational category.
Cheers,
Steve

Spanky
12-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I hung up my wings when I retired. When/if I complete my project of building one of these:

I will be back in the game, but only in the severely recreational category.
Cheers,
Steve

That looks cool, not sure the rotary wing is for me, but still.

XHarley
12-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Did the exact same thing but when I went to get a fresh physical my eyesight was so poor I got a restriction to always have glasses. Trying to fly and scan the instrument panel with readers on is not fun. Then I started working with an instructor and joined the local flying club that had a C-152 that was relatively cheap at $65 wet. I found out pretty quick that my eyesight and especially my depth perception were not what it was 20 years ago and eventually gave up as I knew that I could never qualify for a night flight as my night vision was even worse. So, make sure that you are up to the task physically before making the effort.
I occasionally get the urge to purchase an Ultralight or even a LSA and build a hanger and a runway and fly it off my field but the pricing on those things has gone sky high.
Good luck.

Spanky
12-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Good idea xharley, I will do the physical first. I'm still a young 43, but I'm starting to make sound effects getting out of bed.....

hiflyer
12-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Good idea xharley, I will do the physical first. I'm still a young 43, but I'm starting to make sound effects getting out of bed.....

Got licensed in my early 20's, lost 11 friends in a 5 yr time frame, and quit for 15 years. When I decided to start flying again, I spent three weeks in Dallas flying with the best instructors I could find to get reacquainted. Have 3400 hrs now, 1200 turbine. Remember one thing, flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving. Treat it with the respect it deserves, and it will reward you with the thrill of a lifetime.

Hornblower
12-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Remember one thing, flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving. Treat it with the respect it deserves, and it will reward you with the thrill of a lifetime.

Well said, hiflyer :thumb:

Deer Slayer
12-10-2014, 02:07 PM
So, a number of years ago, 15 in fact, in a far away land called Alabama, I learned to fly 152 and 172 fixed wings. I want to get back into it. As we have alot of pilots on this board, i'd like to hear your experience on stepping away and coming back. I'll look for a local FBO here in NC, but if there is a school that can do a S.H.I.T (Special High Intensity Training) :-) course please let me know. anything changed?

Lexington, NC, KEXX. Davidson County Airport. Call Tommy Cell 336 830 2587. I Am a line tech/Airport Mx guy there. FBO #336 956 7774. I work line Thursdays 10:00 till 16:00. We have lots of folks come in for re-training. Tell Tommy Bill sent ya. GL...:cheers: