PDA

View Full Version : We have been insulted!!!!!! But he seems to be correct

Old Ryder
12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
A group of friends were standing talking about my B. Somebody asked what it was and before I could reply, one of my buddies said "It is a poor man's Goldwing". That response kinda hit my button. I bought my B for the bad azz style and attitude, while at the same time, I get some decent wind management and some tunes. The idea that I could not--or choose not to buy a full blown dresser got my attention.

However...........................................

When you read a lot of the posts----and read the complaints, it does seem that a lot of guys buy the B and then imeditaely start to add stuff to make it a Goldwing. Yes, it needs another shield just to listen to the radio. I am going to add the heated grips and the Klock Werks is on the way. I have plans for lights and LED upgrades, too. Then there is the issue of no cruise and well, I think you get my point.

While it ticks me off, it is true that it seems that almost EVERYBODY here has done something. Guys who buy CBRs, dirt bikes, and a lot of other models don't GENERALLY start changing things the first week. (Cruiser riders don't count)

Not trying to start an argument, but I do wonder if the design team that came up with the idea of the B ever thought that their owners would want to change so much of their product before they got it home?

edgeman55
12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
I have never owned a bike in 45 years that I have not added or done a change to.If I wanted a dresser full Wing I would of bought one.Price was not the reason I went with the F6b it was the fact that at 6'5" and going around 380 or so this one fit me right.Not cramped in the cockpit like the full dress Wing and I don't want all the so called bells and whistles some seem to need on there ride.To me this is the "Perfect" bike,best I have ever owned in 20 or so rides over the years.Plus what others think has no effect in my thought process any more-one of the better things that come with reaching my age group.:icon_lol:

bobbyf6b
12-02-2014, 02:03 PM
He's just jealous. At around $20k it's hardly a poor mans bike. It's the most expensive one I've ever bought. I think of it as "not your fathers Goldwing".

fxdl2051
12-02-2014, 04:07 PM
He's just jealous. At around $20k it's hardly a poor mans bike. It's the most expensive one I've ever bought. I think of it as "not your fathers Goldwing".
Just remind him it'll still smoke his ride. Keeps you humble the rest of the time, until the next throttle twisting facedown.

JackB
12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
I have told people that it is a strip-down Goldwing. I also said my Valkyrie was also a strip-down wing but a friend also would say it was a Goldwing-want-a-be. It all about having fun with your ride.

opas ride
12-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Good comments from all..Me, personally, I don't give a "rats putoot" how others see or perceive my F6B or what they call it..I love the thing and intend to ride it for a long time...Set up the way I want, painted the way I want, and runs like I want....One of the best bikes, if not the best, I have owned/ridden in almost 60 years of riding.....Regards and ride safe

XKnight
12-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Money was not a factor in my decision to buy the F6B over a Goldwing. The Goldwing wasn't even a consideration for me when I was looking at new bikes. It was between the F6B and the Indian Chieftain. Chose the F6B over the Indian because of the smooth ride, awesome power and great handling. Honda's reliability was just icing on the cake.

If I wanted a full blown Wing that's what I would have bought, but like I said I have no interest in one. Don't need the trunk, reverse gear and other extra do dads that add weight and lessen the handling and power of the world class Flat 6 motor.

53driver
12-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Adding extras:
- Fog lights (there was a place for them - needed to be filled)
- headlight protectors (duh)
- bright tail light bits (being seen rocks!)
- belly pan (protecting my pretty girl's undercarriage)
- Hambley custom badges (buying her jewelry)
- Smuggler solo seat (I'm her one and only)

Not exactly "full dresser" mods.

Nothing "poor" about this bike.
Could have purchased a Full Wing.
F6B fit better.
Yes there are some OCD impulse buyers out there that need to try everything in sight, but when you look at their bike? Looks pretty clean.
The 1% that get all the GW options as add-ons? Can't help you there.

Bottom line: to each his own. Judge your own ride, offer polite opinions on others' rides. Be prepared to defend your opinions or run, as necessary.

Cheers,
Steve

BadDawg
12-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I bought my B because it wasn't a Wing despite what the little badge says. I bought it because it was a bad ass bagger. I have no desire to change anything that takes away from its basic design, I don't want a trunk, I don't want a tall windshield, I don't want a ton of extra buttons and controls (cruise control exempt from that statement) This is not my poor mans Goldwing, this is my badass bagger.

tinknocker
12-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I won't lie..money was an issue in my purchase or I wouldn't have waited for a 2yr old left over model. Not that I couldn't afford it but didn't want a wing. Now I wouldn't have bought a full blown wing any way but I can see that in my future. This is a sweet bike and I never have been one to give a rats @ss about what others think. People customize everything around here even if a rocket had an extended swing arm...my bike= my rules.

Jimmytee
12-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Money is always a factor for most, but it wouldn't have kept me from getting a full Gold WIng if that was what I had wanted. I was toying with the idea of a BMW 1600,but not crazy about the styling. I contemplated a full Wing, but the seating position was one of the reasons I preferred the F6B. It wasn't until this year that I was actually seriously shopping. I looked at a 14 and test rode a yellow one (not my color of choice). I was kind of leaning towards a black one, but with my wife insisting that "everyone has a black bike" and that my Valkyrie is red and white, I decided on the red. Which leaves me with the 2013. Plus, back to the money issue, I saw no reason in paying more for a 14 than I would for the same bike as a 13.:icon_biggrin:

Pap
12-02-2014, 07:29 PM
I bought the F6b and my buddy bought the full wing. We both started adding things to the bikes.
You gotta make it your own.
Cost wasn't the issue.
I'm just not old enough for a full wing!:icon_cool:

F6B1911
12-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Good comments from all..Me, personally, I don't give a "rats putoot" how others see or perceive my F6B or what they call it..I love the thing and intend to ride it for a long time...Set up the way I want, painted the way I want, and runs like I want....One of the best bikes, if not the best, I have owned/ridden in almost 60 years of riding.....Regards and ride safe

Exactly, Thank You. Could not have stated it any better.

But the comments above on jealousy need to be better defined ... I ride with a few full blown wings, never got the "poor mans wing" or the "gold wing wannabe" comments from a Gold Wing rider.
It's only the H-D riders that make those comments to me, and that HAS TO BE jealousy, deep, deep, down they want a bike as fine as the F6B, but they settle for the fancy
paint, chrome and maintenance costs. I know, I rode an FLH for a while. Now, if they want to pick on my OEM paint job, they got me there.

shooter
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I agree with Opas. Screw em. Who cares what they think. They're jealous. Yours is faster , rides better , looks better , and will definitely last longer. I bought what I wanted.

Slingah
12-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I bought my f6b because when I saw it I had to have it.
Money not the issue.
Its a bad azz mofo no lazy boy on back stripped down Wing flat 6 1800 beast.

bigbird
12-02-2014, 08:51 PM
one of my buddies said "It is a poor man's Goldwing". That response kinda hit my button.

I would just laugh at the fool, get on my bike, and take off with vigorous throttle. Then see what he says about a "poor man's Goldwing".

Old Ryder
12-02-2014, 09:34 PM
I bought my B because it wasn't a Wing despite what the little badge says. I bought it because it was a bad ass bagger. I have no desire to change anything that takes away from its basic design, I don't want a trunk, I don't want a tall windshield, I don't want a ton of extra buttons and controls (cruise control exempt from that statement) This is not my poor mans Goldwing, this is my badass bagger.

My thoughts exactly! Given the choice of a full blown wing and my B-- I will take the B straight up!

BTW--Why don't Goldwing riders wave at you?
Answer: There isn't a button for that.

cueman
12-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Exactly, Thank You. Could not have stated it any better.

But the comments above on jealousy need to be better defined ... I ride with a few full blown wings, never got the "poor mans wing" or the "gold wing wannabe" comments from a Gold Wing rider.
It's only the H-D riders that make those comments to me, and that HAS TO BE jealousy, deep, deep, down they want a bike as fine as the F6B, but they settle for the fancy
paint, chrome and maintenance costs. I know, I rode an FLH for a while. Now, if they want to pick on my OEM paint job, they got me there.

I don't talk much about my F6B. My friends and others tell me good things about it, and I just smile. :icon_biggrin: cueman

Steve 0080
12-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Adding extras:
- Fog lights (there was a place for them - needed to be filled)
- headlight protectors (duh)
- bright tail light bits (being seen rocks!)
- belly pan (protecting my pretty girl's undercarriage)
- Hambley custom badges (buying her jewelry)
- Smuggler solo seat (I'm her one and only)

Not exactly "full dresser" mods.

Nothing "poor" about this bike.
Could have purchased a Full Wing.
F6B fit better.
Yes there are some OCD impulse buyers out there that need to try everything in sight, but when you look at their bike? Looks pretty clean.
The 1% that get all the GW options as add-ons? Can't help you there.

Bottom line: to each his own. Judge your own ride, offer polite opinions on others' rides. Be prepared to defend your opinions or run, as necessary.

Cheers,
Steve

Easy ! Easy ! I resemble that remark !!!!

53driver
12-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Easy ! Easy ! I resemble that remark !!!!

Yup. But your bike looks really clean Steve. In fact, except for the ring lights & HIDs, I have all the lighting you do.
Cheers!
Steve

Grayeagle
12-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Oh well, I have both. Never really thought about the B being a stripped down wing. Now, maybe a sporty wing, but not a stripped down one.

Brian D
12-02-2014, 10:47 PM
I bought my f6 for the look and reliability. Money had nothing at all to do with my purchase. At 6ft3 I would never fit on a full blown wing. Just too cramped. Hell I thought I was cramped on the f6 till I changed the seat. And At 38 yrs old I'm sure as hell not ready for the status that goes with the full blown wing(retired or old) Shit maybe in 20yrs I'll change my mind but for now I don't need all of that because I don't have time to ride all over the country

Amipro
12-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Looks like we're all in agreement here. We love our "B's". In the 36 years that I've been riding, I've never seen a ride that hasn't been modified or accessorized to some degree. That's what makes them unique (just like us). Just got mine a week ago and already have goodies on order. Now if only mother nature would let me have some quality time with my baby.

kjelders
12-03-2014, 08:45 AM
It's not a poor man's bike. We (bikers in general) are all a poor man after buying a bike. Just add up the price of the bike and after market products.:shock::shhh:

Texas TC
12-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Having owned two full Wings prior to the F6B, I have described the F6B as a stripped down Gold Wing. I generally followup that statment with it is also fast, nimble, and really fun to ride!

Darkknight
12-03-2014, 11:02 AM
As long as I can call it MINE, other people's opinions are none of my business.

sshake1905
12-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Sounds like we are all "preachin to the choir" on this one.....basic statements that apply to this topic of discussion...
1. my F6B is mine...I bought it, I make the payments, I pay the license, fees, and taxes, I decide who rides it, where it goes....so I could care less about others who have no stake in my F6
2. it is only human nature to personalize things we own...to separate it from like things owned by others....again...we own it, we can do what we want to personalize it....
3. be happy and content with the bike you have and let others be happy with theirs....judge not and you shall not be judged....

Last, a personal comment....Over the last 50 some years, I have rode 17 different street bikes...BMW, Moto Guzzi, HDs, Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis...and, in my opinion, I own the fastest, smoothest, and most comfortable one I've ever own Now

opas ride
12-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I replied earlier with my comments but forgot one I heard shortly after I got the F6B last year...Some guy in a gas station said it looked like a "Goldwing that had gone on a diet"...Kinda funny and correct I suppose!!

tinknocker
12-03-2014, 06:33 PM
I was at the gas station while the wife fueled up her bike and the guy who pulled up to the next pump said " DAMN! I am a street glide guys but that I'd one BAD@SS gold wing " I replied with a thanks and he couldn't stop checking out my bike:banana:

Old Ryder
12-03-2014, 06:48 PM
My standard response that it is the "Performance Version" of the Goldwing.

Watchdog
12-03-2014, 06:51 PM
So I guess the street glide is the poor mans Electra glide then. I see a whole lot of street glides out there.

Elin in So. Cal.
12-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Funny, I don't get comments like that about stripped down anything (unless, well...not about motorcycles, ha!) :twitch:

I finally have been riding with another B (I like this shortened version of the F6B), a red deluxe just like mine was. I get to see it from front, side and behind as it goes ORT, and I have to say how good it looks, and it feels good to know mine looks just as good to others.

So I guess it depends upon your riding buddies, or maybe they are compensating for "something" when they make that comment? :nutkick: I do think it really does depend upon who is riding the B whether or not you get that kind of comment.

I personally never felt the B was a "stripped down" anything. Instead, I consider it the best answer to any Harley or Yamaha or Suzuki or Victory or Indian bagger out there. It is over the top when compared side-by-side in performance and handling with any comparable bagger from those lines. And regular gas and reasonable maintenance make it the winner in all cases--at least for me.

Let's just say that the B is one stop before the full GW dresser. It isn't LESS of a GW. It is unique and fills a definite niche in the Honda line. Its only going to get more popular with people who aren't defining themselves as the typical GW rider. I don't feel as though I "fit" with those folks (mostly retired older couples who seem to prefer group rides to just RIDING).

So us B owners need to define who we are as a group. After reading so many of the posts in this forum, I'm convinced we aren't the typical GW riders, even though some of us may have owned GWs in the past or still.

ff73148
12-03-2014, 08:36 PM
I belong to my local GWRR chapter and I have one of the only F6B's. The full Wing guys spend a fortune on all the accessories. I use a tall windshield in the winter and I installed a GPS on the clutch reservoir. Those are the only accessories I put on for convenience. Every time we stop somewhere everyone wants to know what I'm riding and how great the F6B looks. This is the bike I always wanted. It's a Wing but it's not the full boat. Money was never the issue.

Jimmytee
12-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Let's get this straight. I have used the "stripped down Gold Wing" line in describing what my F6B is. That's basically what it is.:icon_doh: :cheers: That does not mean it's less than ,it's just a different model. I have not got any comments from people implying it was a "poor man's Gold Wing". I have had some people actually think it was a smaller Gold Wing....:shhh:
I've had a lot of positive comments from Harley owners though.

DJ TONY G
12-03-2014, 09:53 PM

I agree with bobbyf6b on this one.

shooter
12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
I think its kinda like a Gold Wing GT. Lighter , stronger , and better looking.