PDA

View Full Version : Define Yourself - F6B Owner/Rider

Elin in So. Cal.
12-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Having a thought about this in another thread, I thought it would be fun to see how similar or different we are as a demographic for owning and riding the F6B.

So here's a couple of questions:

How different or similar are you in thinking and lifestyles from the following:

Gold Wing owners/riders
Harley Davidson owners/riders
Other brand riders (Yamaha, Suzuki, Indian, Victory)

I'm not asking about why you chose the F6B, but if you personally consider yourself different from other generalized motorcycle owners/groups.

Interesting to think about who we are as riders and owners.

hiflyer
12-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I've always been kind of a loner, ridden mostly by myself. Enjoy the camaraderie of events like Franklin, but prefer to ride alone or with one other rider when trying to make some miles. Never understood the Goldwing clown suits or the Harley pirate outfits. I'm probably the only rider who's destination is ultimately MY garage. I love to see this beautiful land of ours, but I don't dilly dally around. One night anywhere is enough for me, then time to move on.
I guess that's why I am on this forum a lot, it's my main connection to other riders.

Cheesyryder
12-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Don't drink-so don't like the HD Ride to a bar scene (will stop for a bar burger if it's supposed to good)
rather ride then rally
I think the USA is beautiful, wanna see what I can
Like a machine that is dependable rather then just a name
Believer in ATGATT
Kind of a Loner, will ride where and when I like

bigbird
12-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't really like riding alone; I can't share the moment. I enjoy the company of a few others, but not large groups. As for rides, I like to slow down and enjoy the scenery, or open her up when the road/traffic allows. I'll respond to the oncoming biker wave, but will never initiate unless it's another Goldwing, or I'm out in the middle of lonely nowhere and another single bike is oncoming. I can't stand loud pipes anymore. I won't ride behind other bikes with loud pipes. My lifestyle is to enjoy and never take anything for granted. My motto now is life is short, I practice the golden rule, and try to be a good person. I gravitate towards people who display those same beliefs. i will stop at a roadhouse for a beer or two, or an ice cream at a drive-in. I prefer riding with my wife on the back, but if it's too cold or windy for her, I'll seek out my riding buddies. I do all my own maintenance and am very willing to help/teach others how to do their's. If you're a good person, I'll be happy to ride with you, regardless of what you're riding but if your pipes are too loud, I lead and you follow.

opas ride
12-03-2014, 09:36 PM
As I get older, 75 in January, riding alone or with a friend is more for me these days...It is nice, when possible, to ride with at least one other biker in case something happens...but, I've pretty fortunate over the years to not have many bike breakdowns..I only ride about 2 or 3 times a week, in warmer weather, anymore and usually not more than 100/150 miles...I like riding alone as I can stop when and where I want, or need, (minor prostate issues) and do not drink so HD bars and biker bars, so to speak, have no interest for me...I have no issues with fast food places for a quick burger/fries and they are usually just about anywhere. It is no longer enjoyable to ride in weather much under 45/50 degrees, so riding weather in Michigan is somewhat limited, but we are not going to move as we are both getting older, have put lots of improvements, money, in our old house and I will ride on those days that I can and enjoy...I am not to old yet to "get on the gas" so to speak, and enjoy an occasional "blow off" of some HD bad boy with loud pipes that thinks his sound makes the bike go faster...But too each his own and I really love the F6B and plan to keep it for a while...Maybe my last bike at this point!!! Regards and ride safe....

Jimmytee
12-03-2014, 09:52 PM
I ride by myself or with one or more . As long as I'm riding. I enjoy many different styles, but like to ride. I am a member of the CVMA, and we do have some rides with many riders involved. Our mission is Vets helping Vets. Many of my brothers and sisters ride HDs. Many like to ride ,really ride like I do. Some don't ride so much to bars as much as they do to places to eat.:icon_lol:
I am also involved with lots of good friends from the VRCC. Most of which like to ride and ride hard. Bring on the twisties.:icon_biggrin:

I can pretty much get along with most, but prefer down to earth real people who also enjoy riding.

imported_scottydi
12-03-2014, 10:14 PM
I tend to ride alone but do enjoy riding with others, in very small groups, that I am know and am comfortable with. I am not opposed to a cold beer from time to time, or to a quick meal when riding. I appreciate almost every motorcycle and it does not matter to me what you ride, as long as it puts a smile on your face.

shooter
12-03-2014, 10:37 PM
My Dad bought me my first Honda when I was 11. Honda 50 Mini Trail. I like the brand. Like Suzuki's too. I'm not a follower. Never owned a Harley. Never will. I ride my bikes hard. They get only the best when it comes to maintenance. Me. There may be better mechanics , but they don't care like I do. I've ridden a lot by myself over the years. Not much of a drinker. But like above if the burger is good I will stop. I want every ounce of performance I can get out of my bike. If I ride with another F6B owner mine will be cleaner and better maintained. I won't ride a dirty bike unless it just happens on a ride. Just got married to my best friends sister. He is also my best riding buddy. Rides a Ultra Classic. Our riding styles are similar. We push it when we can. I ride more in groups these days. Two of my brother in laws have bikes so we take the wives on rides to distant restaurants. Its fun. I enjoy my new family. They always want me to lead. I'm the oldest and the fastest. They both ride Harleys but they respect the B. Most of my riding is two up . I'm having a good time these days. I'm a really lucky guy. I thank God all the time cause I feel like I have it all. I'm not rich but I have been successful. I enjoy the banter on here with you guys and I even learn something every once in a while. Life is good.

53driver
12-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Was never allowed to ride as a kid - mom was scared shitless of "those horrible things."

Permitted my mid life crisis at 35 (getting to 70 was in doubt) and got my '81 GL1100 Standard.

Since I teach the MSF course, I find riding with others a non-stop mental critique game of "if only...." so I generally ride alone.
I can turn it off for events, but on long hauls, it is distracting.

Large groups? No thanks. I don't need to get inside everyone's head and try to guess what they are doing next.

I have an HD. It is loud. Currently, it is broken (ignition switch). I can play with the HD attitude, and I can play with the F6B attitude - it's all good.

Now, similar to BigBird, "life is too short for sub-standard food, drink, relationships, and motorcycles."
So I culled them out.

I like reliability. I like on demand speed. I like to play with my toys. I go internally bat-shit when they are broken.
Example: Yesterday, my MagLite, 6 D cell, didn't work. Battery corroded. (Freaking Energizer!) Spent time over last 24 hours cleaning it up and making it work. Feel MUCH better now.

I'm a just a middle-aged boy with toys and a finer appreciation for them than I had when I was younger.
Cheers,
Steve

motoman
12-04-2014, 12:07 AM
I come from a sport bike background, but as I get older, I don't feel like riding all day, and I want something more comfortable. So with that in mind, I like to take overnight rides or multi-day rides, so I don't have to worry about riding home the same day, and therefore I need some luggage capacity for my stuff.

Hesitant at first to get a big bike like the F6B, but it serves the purpose well as my priorities change from "It's not the Destination, it's the Journey", to "Aw, fuggit, it's the Destination".

BadDawg
12-04-2014, 12:46 AM
I like riding with friends, belonged to a few clubs. But i have only found one person who could actually hang with me and and what I truly love. I like to ride hard, I've knocked out several Iron Butts, bot on my Sabre and My VTX. I met a guy in AZ who thought i was nuts when I asked him to do one with me. However, after a few long rides with him he realized it was possible. We did a 1k 24 hours, a 1500 in under 36 hours and a 1500 in 24 hours. he has a VTX 1800F. I use to make fun of the Goldwings that did Iron butts. Nothing like a 24 hours in your Lazyboy recliner. However, 4th of July weekend I have my B lined up for 2 1k/24 hour trips.

So what kind of rider am I? One that just like to know where the limits are at and step on the other side.

hiflyer
12-04-2014, 12:52 AM
4th of July weekend I have my B lined up for 2 1k/24 hour trips.

My kind of riding. I rode 1k miles on a Friday to get to the Franklin F6 rally, spent Saturday, rode 1k miles home on Sunday, and loved every minute of it.

BadDawg
12-04-2014, 01:10 AM
My kind of riding. I rode 1k miles on a Friday to get to the Franklin F6 rally, spent Saturday, rode 1k miles home on Sunday, and loved every minute of it.

What kind of seat you got? My Sabre and VTX are home made bar hopper seats. I'll do the B on the stock seat.

sshake1905
12-04-2014, 01:22 AM
Have been able to average about 12,000 miles every summer since I retired in 2005....8,000 of those miles alone, the other 4 K with a group of five others (3 harley and 2 honda riders)....six bikes in the same area is plenty.....

If the road is paved, has some curves and no more than two lanes...I'm on it....Like a drink to relax at the end of the day's ride...I like to ride to see what's there....and enjoy the scenery.....don't care much for ralleys, shows, meetings and such....too many people....too many possibilities....most of which are bad....

In the last ten summers, I have logged over 100,000 miles on the two lanes highways of Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, southern British Columbia and Northern California.....and many of those roads I've seen the scenery comin' and goin'....and I 've loved every minute of it..

Spend 7 to 10 days each month, May thru September, on the road....stay in motels, eat in local cafes and pubs, pull over when it rains, and usually travel less than 300 miles a day....retirement is by far the best job I.ve ever had.....

Have owned 17 motorcycles since 1964.....the last 3 have been Honda VTXs and my F6B....all bulletproof and dependable.....not to mention comfortable and faster than most....

May the Force be with you One and All....Steve

hiflyer
12-04-2014, 01:27 AM
What kind of seat you got? My Sabre and VTX are home made bar hopper seats. I'll do the B on the stock seat.

Stock, and I carry an airhawk and a mesh no sweat pad, three comfort changes for the old butt.

Limoles
12-04-2014, 02:35 AM
Over 50 years of riding - 500 000 miles on dozens of bikes - Discovered on 2 wheels : Europe , Africa and most parts of our magnificent N. American continent . Riding solo , listening the music of the wind and catching the beauty of the world . Happy and thirsty of new adventures . F6B is the best of all . Biking is in my heart and soul . Planning to write the book .

jkelley
12-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Much like hiflyer I ride mostly alone or with one other. I don't like the group dynamics at all.

Convert
12-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Like a lot of posts here, I spend a lot of time riding alone, but enjoy a Sunday morning ride with a few others going for breakfast and laughs. I ride out to Idaho every year to see my Grandson and daughter and haven't
found a better way to see the USA. My wife isn't a bike person other than about 10 miles for dinner once a year. She flied out to Idaho and I ride. I do most of my own bike work, have to have a clean bike, am not afraid to
twist the grip and don't want a bike that everyone else has. I've done the HD thing and liked the bikes but didn't need all the Lifestyle stuff. I am contemplating the purchase of a second bike to do a little riding with my son.
He likes to ride but can't afford a bike right now, is in his mid twenties and finally getting a clue. I would love to spend more time with him and think riding together would give us a way to have fun and maybe teach each other
something yet. So I am kinda looking around for a Valkyrie. I've been riding for 45 years or so and will probably continue till the day I die.

shooter
12-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Convert get that second bike. I was out of street riding for 20+ years until my boy bought a ninja. I bought a new 109 and we have been having a blast ever since. Its amazing how close you can get to your son on a bike. Also gives him a chance to observe proper riding technique and etiquette.

Steve 0080
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
I actually like to ride alone, can't stand herding cats. I no longer want to be responsible for anyone or anything other than ME. I have never been lost and like the ideal of seeing where this road goes... Never been a joiner, although I do enjoy the rallies once or twice a year. I find it funny that someone would refuse to ride,buy or borrow another brand of motorcycle... I am sure they are not that way with women! I have ridden many times to N.C. or the Keys by myself...I like myself although at times I have not and the long rides help sort that out. I do enjoy wrenching, I like to figure out WHY this does that! I live by a creed that I respect everyone and expect everyone respect me... life is short...you better be making yourself happy...it will end soon!

Nice thread Elin...offers a new perspective ....

Hornblower
12-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Gold Wing owners/riders

Questions like this are far too general for me. If you pick a specific rider, then, maybe I can reasonably compare. Otherwise, I have no issues or remarks to make about other riders. After 41 previous bikes of many makes and models, I can relate to most in one way or another.

DaWadd
12-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Good thread as long as it doesn't get too far off track. Myself I like to ride alone or with the wife on the back. Don't get the Harley, Victory, Indian dress like a pirate thing. I've found the BMW riders tend to have "I'm better than you" attitude. And some of the Goldwing riders have it too. Most of the sport bike riders around here are idiots. I'm pretty laid back and respect what other people ride except for the scooter crowd.Most of them are just plain dangerous. I will not go on large group rides anymore after seeing what inexperienced clowns will do. Don't drink or bar hop anymore. My riding style has become slow and easy and since retiring this summer I find I'm never in a rush and don't get road rage as much. Since the wifey isn't keen on long distance rides I may take a solo trip out to the mountains of beautiful British Columbia next summer and come back thru the USA with no destination planned. Just gonna "Wing" it. "coffee"

Old Ryder
12-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I have been all sorts---Here I am now.

In the mid 70's it was Hondas of all sorts, dual purpose, CBs of the 350, 550, 750 variety. Bikes back then were bicycles with a motor. It was not a big deal if it fell over or was in the rain. It was a toy that I jumped on for a few minutes of fun.

Then there were tha Harley years--lasted about a decade. There is NO larger concentration of testosterone that in Daytona Beach in March and Myrtle Beach in May. I know-- I am there! I did enjoy the brotherhood that only HD guys share. EXAMPLE: If you have a stator go out in Cashiers at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, Harley guys and shops will make sure you are not stranded--they will get you back on the road even if it means staying 3 hours over on a Friday night and not charging extra. The only requirement is to ride a Harley. But, I had to move on because of the inferior techngoly.

That took me to Victory and I owned 2 of them. They are very fine premium machines. The style and design are awesome and for the most part are very reliable and powerful. I loved not having what everybody else has and it being a quality machine. The guys on the Vic forums are nicer than most and it is a tight group. I was driven--or scared off becasue of the poor, poor, worse than you can imagine lack of support and don't give a rats rectum attitude by most of their dealers and Ma Vic itself. I have stories of taking a nail in a tire and riding 80 miles to get a tire changed when local dealerships don't have time to mess with you--ordering $7 worth of stuff and paying $10 in shipping to the dealer, etc.... Victory is a motorcycle that is a success in spite of the company that builds and sells it. They make NO apologies. All warranty claims must be preapproved and may are denied.

That brings me to Honda. When I had the 1800 VTX, it was a different forum and a different group of guys. Some were Ex HD looking for a better bike. The B is what I am looking for. A dependable, comfortable, bad azz looker that has a shop every 15 miles (just in case). You see a ton of Wings-- but I didn't want a wing-- I want a F6B with all of the GOOD stuff of a Wing while at the same time most people can't look at it and tell what it is. So I got something obsecure-- but they are al over. I go to about 5 or 6 rallys a year and do 2 or 3 long 1500 mile weekend trips and a week long adventure. The B is good for that and at the same time is is great to run errands and everything else to total my 10-14,000 miles a year. While I don't ride to impress others, I do like to impress myself. Remember, the cowboy is judged by the horse he rides.

So there you have it. This is what I am today-- but it is different that what I was 15 years ago, which is dirrerent that 40 years ago.

LOVE THE B!

XKnight
12-04-2014, 01:15 PM
I love motorcycles and I love to ride them. The brand isn't the defining aspect for me. Some guys will only ride a Harley, Ducati, BMW, etc., and define their riding based on the brand of bike they own. I prefer to just ride and appreciate all bikes for what they are.

Old Ryder
12-04-2014, 02:30 PM
I love motorcycles and I love to ride them. The brand isn't the defining aspect for me. Some guys will only ride a Harley, Ducati, BMW, etc., and define their riding based on the brand of bike they own. I prefer to just ride and appreciate all bikes for what they are.

Ditto my friend!

My daughter of 40 years will only drink a Coke--- no Pepsi or anything else. However she will drink any kind of wine that a corkscrew will open. (Gets that after her old man) I just don't get it. A good motorcycle is just that. Those who deprive themselves because of commerical influence or peer pressure are missing out.

One of my favorite sayings---- "Does not matter what letters are on the tank, it is the same wind in your face"

opas ride
12-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Ditto my friend!

My daughter of 40 years will only drink a Coke--- no Pepsi or anything else. However she will drink any kind of wine that a corkscrew will open. (Gets that after her old man) I just don't get it. A good motorcycle is just that. Those who deprive themselves because of commerical influence or peer pressure are missing out.

One of my favorite sayings---- "Does not matter what letters are on the tank, it is the same wind in your face"

I agree a 100%, although it does get my "dander-up" a little when I ride alone and a bunch of HD riders are coming the other way and flip me the "bird" on occasion after I make the biker wave...Oh well, just shows their ignorance and immaturity!!...I have almost stopped wasting my time to wave anymore anyhow.....

Old Ryder
12-04-2014, 05:10 PM
.I have almost stopped wasting my time to wave anymore anyhow.....

So it was YOU! It was Victories and not Harley's LOL 😃

http://www.thevog.net/threads/damn-honda-rider.54672/

edgeman55
12-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Been riding for about 50 years and it has changed as I have aged.I started out on dirt bikes at 9 or 10 and learned the basics the hard way.Almost always coming home to a mad Mom because I ruined another jacket during a fall.Once I was a legal driver at 16 I got a Honda 750 four much to the dismay of that same Mom who saw it as a Murdercycle!Had a lot of fun on that bike and went off to college and saw a 75 Goldwing and just had to have it.My buddies called it a Ol man bike but I loved it.I put full Vetter gear on her with a custom seat and bars.Put about 80K on her and fell in love with touring.Over the next 30 years I had many more Wings.The last bieng a 90 1500 with a Bushtec trailer.Crossed this wonderfull country many times and thru Canada.Up untill a year ago I rode a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar-my first V twin.So I did the loud pipes aircooled thing and it kind of fit how I ride now.Mostly alone as the wife does not want to ride anymore Was going to get a Victory Vision but saw The F6B and that was that as I feel this is the best platform I have ever owned.Don't use the riding to socialize much as my other passion RC flying fills that need.Riding now is a reason to explore unseen roads and discover new dives to eat in.It is better and cheaper then Therapy.I really don't care what others ride only that they enjoy what they have.As far as others thoughts on what others ride I have this to say "Opionions are like As****es-everyone has one".Ride safe all:yes:

Ridlikhel
12-05-2014, 08:21 PM
No different that others, just not the same. I feel no need to be like others. enjoy the open wind in my face weather it's in a car or on a bike. Free spirited and adventurous.

powercruzer13
12-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Rode lots of big bikes before my "re-entry" into biking a few years back. Friends convinced me to get back in. Much pressure from said friends to "get a Harley". Leaned towards but not stuck on Hondas from previous street riding life, CB550, CB750 etc. Test rode a Harley or 3. Uh, no. Rode VTX {both}, Vulcan, Star, etc all V-twins. Again..no. Sat butt on nice used 1997 Valkyrie Tourer & took short ride. :shock::yes::yes::yes::yes: What a bike!!!!! :biggthumpup:
Fast forward to F6B life. Got wife into piloting her own bike, found we enjoyed 200-500 mile extended weekend trips to desirable locales on the Valks. Rode the snot out of the Valkyries, of which we had 3 of between the two of us. It just happened that way along with the wife's "starter bike" her 2005 SS750. Brief fling with a Triumph Rocket 3 but even that didn't lure me away from the pull of the flat-6! Aging Valkyries & the burden of keeping & maintaining 4 bikes prompted a move to the only bike short of a GW that is an actual upgrade from a Valkyrie.... the F6B.
We will do the rally thing but it has mostly lost it's charm with us. However the other aspects like the medium distance getaway rides still appeal greatly to us. We also do lunch rides or "Q's" as they are called on the Florida Board of the VRCC as the friendships made there over the past 8-10 years transcend motorcycling now. We will go to local events like a bike night sponsored by a favorite restaurant like the "Tilted Kilt" occasionally but the bar hopping thing is not us.
It is fun regardless of the event to pull up on two "B's" amongst a sea of V-twinks, they seem to garner just as many looks & comments as the Valks did.

Watchdog
12-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I usually ride alone or with one other close friend. Got away from the group riding because of the politics involved. Now I come and go as I want and no one is dictating where and when we go. I can take my time which is normally what I do. Try to do as close to the speedlimit as I can.

grendl
12-06-2014, 11:08 PM
I typically ride alone but on some weekends I will go out with a few of my biker friends. The group has some of everything in it, FJRs, Concours, a Harley and a new Victory. I don't really care what you ride,I have what I have and am very happy with it.
My style varies so riding alone is best to me. If I want to blast the twisties,I don't have to worry about someone keeping up , or riding past their limit, I just go. Dont tell, but I frequently exceed the speed limit...
I have a 96 1000F which cover my 'light speed' jamming but I have ridden it less since I've had my F6. Never wanted to own an HD ,though I like the styling of some of them. Don't understand attitude of any of the brands. The way I see it, you buy what you want or can afford and enjoy it.
I like driving to a rally like the Wing Ding( my first )last year. Did an Iron Butt but it took me 25 hours to complete -I was not prepared for that . Doing it again this year.
I'll ride with anyone ,just don't bar hop,rarely drink or smoke when I'm riding. If I dont like the company, I 'll point my bike a different way.
Rode for the first and last time with huge group(>50 bikes) last summer. It was terrible,wont do that again...
Figure I'm just a down to earth fella and enjoy like company - like most would.
Loving my F6B !!!

fxdl2051
12-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Been riding since '78ish, Kaws, Suzis, Harleys, trikes and hacks. Worked at half a dozen bike shops as a kid, still avid and rabid for the sport. I've always worked weird shifts so finding riding buds has not been easy, but I've never minded riding solo, nothing makes me feel more alive, or more content with my life than riding. I don't find my identity in things, I'm not into brands (reminds me too much of my gfs Gucci handbag mania) so whether it's got two wheels or three, it's all good with me. I try to treat everyone as a brother on the road, even the Vespa riders, well they're like baby brothers. This kind of sums it all up to me, a quote from Jospeh Campbell one of my inpirers," What is the meaning of life? What is the meaning of life to a flower? What we're are seeking is not the meaning of life, but an experience of life." So all things said, motorcycles are the only machine that can turn gasoline into poetry and that's good enough for me.

red dog
12-14-2014, 05:57 AM
raised on Harleys and dirt bikes,father had Harleys............. "who travels fastest travels alone"............"if you run with the wolves dont trip"..........

motozeke
12-14-2014, 04:08 PM
If I fit any category, it's Sport Tourer. I wear all the gear, I have a Roadcrafter and a Schuberth, and I pretty much only get on the bike if I'm going to do at least 250 miles. Most of my riding is multiday trips (and I'll put 15,000 miles on my F6B before its first year of ownership is up). I bought the F6B because I think it's a great sport touring platform for 80% of the riding that I do and it's insanely comfortable and accommodating. That 20% where it's not the best fit is the really tight stuff, 20 mph turns and such where the wheelbase and weight really come into play, but on balance I don't mind the tradeoff. There's nothing like being able to hammer up and down I-5 at 85 mph in comfort, listening to music and audiobooks through the stereo system with grade A wind protection. That ride would punish me on any other bike I've owned.

SteveM
12-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Riding is my great escape. When the winter comes, it's like being cooped up, fidgety.

I ride almost always alone. Done the group sport riding thing on VFR's, too many heroes.

It can be 30 minutes or a SS1000, the B takes me away and calms my soul.

I never worry about packing, especially with the givi top box, I can go anywhere there's pavement, it'll carve when I nudge the bars and eat interstate if I'm in the mood to hustle.

I cut out at least a full week every year to hop on and just wander far from home.

It let's me live in New England and consider the Dragon a day trip each way.

Travelor
12-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Mostly a loaner, live to ride. BMW K1200LT (3rd one) for touring, F6B for closer to home. Sure do love the F6b!! Tried golf, boating, etc., always return to riding. Actually prefer the superslab for longer trips, typically do 400-500 miles a day on longer trips. 90% of longer trips are with wife on the back, she loves to ride also. Retiring this year, so more riding coming. Don't ride with groups, don't have time or energy to put up with the ego's and other BS. Not interested in contentious debates about darksiding, synthetic vs petro base oils or whether counter-steering is a myth. This will be my first message on this site if it works.

BobinMich
12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
usually ride with a group, but solo rides as well. I am a LIFE MEMBER of HOG. Our dealer closed about 3-4 years ago, so haven't been an active HOG member since then. Have been riding less the last few years, that is one reason for the F6B purchase, hope it gets me back out on the road more....longer trips. Have done many 700+ mile days but haven't in a few years. Looking forward to some this spring and summer! Bob

hiflyer
12-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Mostly a loaner, live to ride. BMW K1200LT (3rd one) for touring, F6B for closer to home. Sure do love the F6b!! Tried golf, boating, etc., always return to riding. Actually prefer the superslab for longer trips, typically do 400-500 miles a day on longer trips. 90% of longer trips are with wife on the back, she loves to ride also. Retiring this year, so more riding coming. Don't ride with groups, don't have time or energy to put up with the ego's and other BS. Not interested in contentious debates about darksiding, synthetic vs petro base oils or whether counter-steering is a myth. This will be my first message on this site if it works.

Welcome, I had 3 LT's myself, and several other BMW's. Used to have 2 or 3 bikes in the garage, not anymore, this one serves all my riding needs.

Westernbiker
12-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Having a thought about this in another thread, I thought it would be fun to see how similar or different we are as a demographic for owning and riding the F6B.

Gold Wing owners/riders

I'm not asking about why you chose the F6B, but if you personally consider yourself different from other generalized motorcycle owners/groups.

Interesting to think about who we are as riders and owners.

Well.......I just don't relate to any one group over the other. I have friends that ride in all categories. I also have certain opinions about them but as someone stated here already....Opinions are like.....well you get the picture. I more or less do my own thing. I like my black leather chaps, vest, jacket, gloves and top that off with my cowboy boots. I sometimes wear a helmet but not all the time. I mostly ride with my girlfriend on the back or alone. I know and ride with a few Harley guys on occasion but not regularly. My one buddy is Hogg Chapter President and invites me to all their rides.......ya know.....I have never gone on one. My neighbor is a BMW rider and I have never ridden with him.
I got my first bike at 8 years old. I have had many a crash on a motocross track, I have had a few desert racing high speed get-offs and have been down on the asphalt too. Broken bones, cuts, scrapes and hurt pride all rolled into one. BUT! If it's in your blood, no matter what, you always come back for more. And as always, that is just my 2 cents worth of that.

valkmc
12-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Started riding on the street at 17 (not sure what my parents were thinking) and will be 57 in a couple of months. I have always had at least one bike in the garage for 40 years, sometimes 2 or 3. Many different brands. Brands don't define me but I am not an HD fan at all. I live for the long adventures. Being a school teacher I get the summer to ride and have covered North America from Alaska to Key West and Maine to California. I prefer to do the long trips alone, sometimes the wife will go and sometimes she will fly and meet me somewhere we want to stay for a week. I am not a bar hopper but will certianly find a bar after a 500 mile day and I am in a hotel or the campsite is set up. I hope to ride until I pass on to the next place we go, hopefully there will be motorcycles there. If the health begins to present a problem I will be on 3 wheels. I think I like to do the long trips alone because I can go where I want and do what I want. I also think the fact that I spend my working days in a classroom that 160-170 teenagers pass through each day makes me long for solitude.

Pap
12-23-2014, 12:40 AM
53 year old kid. Enough said! Lol !
Ok, I love to have a good time, like to ride with my wife on the back. Well, actually, I love it because she rubs my neck and back a lot!
I used to go for the speed and power, riding wheelies on my ST 1300 and M109r with or without the wife (she's crazier than I am),but now I just want to ride and enjoy the scenery. I plan to see this beautiful country of ours before I check out. I believe in GOD and try to be a good person, but it's a work in progress being good. I ride with any brand of bike, but I will say, I have a few friends that ride Harleys that took on the attitude that a "rice burner" isn't worth riding with, so they are on their own. I will ride long distances for ice cream! If they serve food, well, that is a bonus! Always looking forward to making new friends and living life.

bigbird
12-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I also think the fact that I spend my working days in a classroom that 160-170 teenagers pass through each day makes me long for solitude.

Been there, done that.
I pulled the plug at 55, and moved to pre-trades education for disenfranchised adults re-entering the workplace after incarceration and/or addictions challenges. Best and most rewarding teaching in my career.

taxfree4
01-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Ride alone, always did, don't want to worry about who's behind, who's in front, had Harleys but never was into the "Meet up and ride to the diner" crowd. Love the intimacy with the road right underneath your feet, not in the confines of a metal cocoon, bugs whacking you in the cheeks, smells of corn pastures and riding through a tree-lined road (which feels like air condition) cannot be beat. I like long stretches of desolate places like the 106 miles between Salina, Utah and Green River, Utah. Pull over, shut the bike off and if you listen real close you can hear God breathing. Heaven must be where the road never stops and you never have to pull over for gas.

luisjromero
01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Since my first bike 20 years ago, I always rode HD...but never enjoyed the groups (and I tried, I swear). I love the machine, but rather prefer to ride alone, till now on HD (continue doing with my Heritage) and now riding my red F6B Deluxe. Its so different, but they share the same spirit...I met the perfect complement outside from HD (i was looking the HD Road Glide)
Both bikes give me a quite similar kind of fun...I enjoy massively riding alone, the bike and me. And thanks God I live in a place with a great weather, so i can ride the whole year :8:

av8rdave
01-04-2015, 12:22 PM
I like riding alone for short, day type rides, as I don't like worrying about the pace, route or itinerary.

On cross country trips or rallies, I much prefer going with a group. I enjoy the socializing at the end of a day's ride.

As far as brands go, I have no particular loyalty, although the F6 is by far the best bike I've had. I spent a lot of years on dirt bikes, naked sport bikes and large V-twins, and had a lot of fun on all of them.

I never got into the dress up thing. I try to wear what's comfortable, safe and functional.

There are VERY few riders I have ever disliked. I've ridden with the Harley folks, the BMW/Goldwing folks and the sport bike crowd. The vast majority of riders are decent people, IMO.

I moved from northeast Texas to west/northwest Ohio three years ago. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much good riding is available within a fairly close range. Far better than north Texas, where good riding roads were at least a couple of hours away in any direction.

In short, I'm a rather bland, unremarkable dweeb type.

Ixol Phaane
01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I've been a rider for almost 40 years. I've gotten comfortable with solitude because I've never really felt like I fit in with any particular group. I'm not a joiner (present company excepted :icon_wink:). I own and ride bikes that speak to me simply... that are understated... and dependable. (90% Honda over the years). My rides aren't glitzy or lighted and chromed to Christmas and back, but I'll drop a $ for a comfort item or three. I won't buy into marketing hype... or peer pressure. I ride when and where my mood moves me. Sometimes that means I ride with a small group of friends... or enjoy a ride for charity. But mostly it's just me on my bike, goin' when I want, wherever I want. I'm winding down my chosen career soon and look forward to putting a lot more miles behind me in the years ahead of me. It don't bother me what brand you ride... but I won't ride with folks who judge me for my choice. If you're on the road, I hope you get where you're goin' safely. I'll probably throw a wave at ya when I see ya... but don't take it personal if I don't.

Massimo
01-05-2015, 06:19 AM
I'm a loner. I do not have many real friends with whom to share this passion. Maybe one or two.
I like to travel without stopping obligations.

taxfree4
01-05-2015, 06:11 PM
When I was in 5th grade a new student came in, he was from Bari, Italy and his name was Massimo, being born in America I had never heard the name before. His English wasn't the best and he took some ribbing from the other students for his name and his English. That didn't last too long as we became best friends and the ribbing stopped immediately, we were the two biggest kids in the 5th grade. His whole clan moved into a house down the block from the school, grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews. It was a beautiful thing going over that house seeing so much life and love they had. They made you feel so welcome, like a part of the family, never forget that.

mike2000t
01-05-2015, 10:05 PM
I dont really participate in the HD or Goldwing culture. My first bike was an ACE Tourer and I put almost 100k miles on her with very little trouble, so another Honda felt right. I fell in love with the F6B at first glance. With just over 10,000 miles I am very happy with my decision. I ride with a select group of guys that I trust and consider them as my friends. I hate riding in large groups or alone, but I do enjoy small rallies and used to really enjoy the Tourer rallies.

fxdl2051
01-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Been there, done that.
I pulled the plug at 55, and moved to pre-trades education for disenfranchised adults re-entering the workplace after incarceration and/or addictions challenges. Best and most rewarding teaching in my career.

Teachers are one of the noblest of professions a man can aspire too, you hold the world together my friend.

bigbird
01-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Teachers are one of the noblest of professions a man can aspire too, you hold the world together my friend.

Thank you, Ken. I appreciate your comment.

On the flip side, I am thankful to be able to continue teaching now. Without my present part-time gig, I wouldn't be owning an F6B. :clap2: