PDA

View Full Version : need advise on what fog lamps to get...

sshake1905
12-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I want to buy and install a pair of fog lights in the lower cowl of my 2013 F6B standard....

Don't do much night riding anymore, so am interested in some daytime-type running lights that will show up the best during the day...:shock:..as low wattage as possible...:icon_biggrin: to run constantly with low beams....and ... something fairly easy to wire in and mount...:yes::icon_rolleyes:..don't want much do I ?

Has anyone out there seen a setup like that ???:shrug: Or am I in fantasy light land :yikes: ??? I would truly appreciate anyone who might point me to brand or site online....notworthy.

Shaker

bigbird
12-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I have the Honda accessory fog light kit. It is expensive, but of high quality. It is all plug and play, but there is quite a bit of wiring required.

Here's a set of cheaper, very bright kits. They are also plug and play.

http://wingstuff.com/products/34416-led-960-lights-for-f6b-gl1800-2nd-gen?context=driving_lights-f6b

If I were to do it all over again, this is the kit I would buy.

There is a new product coming to market that has a matching lamp shape to the fog light housing. There is no report yet on the quality or brightness, but they do fit nicely.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4389-Rectangular-Fog-Lights&p=55895&viewfull=1#post55895

Steve 0080
12-10-2014, 04:56 PM
++++++ either one...the 960's are proven and VERY bright !!! Perfect for daytime riding!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4418-LED-Fog-Lamp-front-lower-cowl-help

Old Ryder
12-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I have the 960s on my wish list. So many accessories---so little time. and money

sshake1905
12-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Thanks, guys...for the sit info for fog lights search...

I found 2 fog light products at the BikeMP3 site....that were more daytime running lights and not as high watts or lumens as the 960s you mentioned...

Wonder if anyone out there has or tried these....both from BikeMP3....if so, please give me your advise and opinions of each...for daytime...24/7 ..use, Thanks

LED Sharks lights...single 15 watt on each side HGW-LGT-S12...come with rectangular plastic insert and silicone glue....switch is extra...

4 LED element Daytime Running lights...no wattage given....HGW-012-DRL.....comes with rect. plastic inserts and glue.....no switch...most run 24/7 with engine...

any info would be great..:yes:...thanks....Shaker

Exbmwrider
12-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I just installed the fog lights from SoCalMoto. Very pleased with the results, plus, they match the color of their HID Lo Beams and their switchback turn signals.

Hornblower
12-11-2014, 03:26 PM
I want to buy and install a pair of fog lights in the lower cowl of my 2013 F6B standard....
Don't do much night riding anymore, so am interested in some daytime-type running lights that will show up the best during the day...:shock:..as low wattage as possible...:icon_biggrin: to run constantly with low beams....and ... something fairly easy to wire in and mount...:yes::icon_rolleyes:..don't want much do I ?

Based on your original questions above, I believe several general comments are in order. First, I agree with your idea of adding lights to become more conspicuous. My only advice here is to add lights to both front and rear. For the front, DRL's are such a good idea. I have them on all my cars and the F6B. To show up best in daytime, they do need to be bright and, they can be bright without drawing a lot of power. The best way to do that, IMHO, is to go with LED lights. If you shop around, you'll find that you have several choices. BTW, these lights don't necessarily have to be rectangular to look good in the lower cowl openings. Trim or filler plates are often used to make that look right even with round lights. For a bright LED, look for something in the 10 watt range. That happens to be a very common size. An LED rated at 10 watts should produce 800 to 1000 lumens. The other great thing about LED's, especially when you want to run them all the time, is that they usually have a long life, somewhere in the 30,000 to 50,000 hour range. For continous running, you won't even need an on/off switch unless you want one, of course. As far as wiring, plugs are already provided for lower cowl lights so if the lights you purchase were made for Goldwings, they should plug right in.

Old Ryder
12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
The short video on the 960s are what sold me. As stated, the idea is to be seen and not just have something else glowing and looking pretty. (This ain't a Harley, you know) :nono:

Navvet
12-12-2014, 11:54 AM
I know I will probably get a lot of grief from some folks here, but I cannot see paying the kind of money most places want for LED fog lights. I installed 18w Cree Led Work (Spot) Light for boats from amazon, $29.00 for the pair. They are waterproof and put out a ton of light, mainly in the "center spot" with a bit of extra splash all around. I live in the country and ride into work @ 5am each day. They light up the road at night great (especially the sides of the road) while not blinding other drivers.

A couple of the 2 wire plug connectors from Cyclemax to connect to the factory harness and a waterproof SPST switch and the job is done for less than $50.

Just my 2 cents worth .....

Hornblower
12-12-2014, 12:30 PM
I know I will probably get a lot of grief from some folks here, but I cannot see paying the kind of money most places want for LED fog lights. I installed 18w Cree Led Work (Spot) Light for boats from amazon, $29.00 for the pair. They are waterproof and put out a ton of light, mainly in the "center spot" with a bit of extra splash all around. I live in the country and ride into work @ 5am each day. They light up the road at night great (especially the sides of the road) while not blinding other drivers.

A couple of the 2 wire plug connectors from Cyclemax to connect to the factory harness and a waterproof SPST switch and the job is done for less than $50.

Just my 2 cents worth .....

Would love to see a pic of these mounted on your bike! Also, could you post a link to the lights you bought on Amazon.

imported_PA_F6Ber
12-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Would love to see a pic of these mounted on your bike! Also, could you post a link to the lights you bought on Amazon.

:agree:

Carl

NCF6B
12-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Like Steve. Installed 960s from bike MP3. work great day or night. easy install! Low volt draw.

Ericb445
12-13-2014, 12:55 AM

me too

Hornblower
12-13-2014, 07:00 AM
I think I found the link for the lights Navvet posted:

http://www.amazon.com/1260lm-Cree-Spot-Light-Off-road/dp/B00EA0ZB7I/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1418471706&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=18w+Cree+Led+Work+%28Spot%29+Light+for+bo ats

I still would like to see these lights mounted. How about it, Navvet? And, while you're at it, how about a description of how they work...light projection, pattern, etc.

Hornblower
12-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Adding to the above post...after reading the reviews on Amazon, the overall rating is good, about 4 1/2 out of 5 but there are some issues. The main complaint was the lights produce more of a flood pattern as opposed to being spot lights as advertised. Several complained about the mounting hardware rusting quickly and moisture getting inside the housings. And, of course, you have to come up with your own wiring harness and fusing. The light color is advertised as 6K but some mentioned the light being somewhat blue (that is typical for 6K + lights). Other than that, most felt you get what you pay for with this product. So, from what I see, these don't project much light down the road but are quite bright to look at, if that's what you're looking for.

Navvet
12-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Hornblower your right, that is the correct link for the lights. I went with them because they are made to be used on a boat and should not have any problems on a bike. I read about some people complaining about the rust, but that was mainly in a salt water environment.

The wiring was not difficult, I used the connector kits from Cyclemax and they mated up with the factory wiring. Just some quick crimps (or soldering if you can) and they plug right in. Same with the switch.

Here's some pic's of the finished job, please excuse the dirt, I ride it to work every day.Also ignore the mess in the garage, I am only about half way finished building it.

As I said before I tend to ride into work @5:00am on country roads and interstate. I have not had anyone flashing their lights at me ....yet..... The lights brighten up the road about half way between the low beams and high and really light up the highway sings from a long ways off. They work fantastic in heavy fog, I can see the road clearly for several hundred feet.

All said, I am happy with them. I am so happy, I ordered 6 more and a 12v power supply and am going to install them for the outside lighting for my new garage ......

Hornblower
12-14-2014, 09:15 AM
Navvet--Thanks for the pics :8: I was wondering if you were going to mount those in the lower cowl. I see you added lights in the rear too! One thing is for sure...you are conspicuous. Well done :clap2:

Fla_rider
12-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Nav- you never said anything about those lights on the bags? Fess Up!:nono:

Navvet
12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Just cheep strip LED's from AdvanceAuto put on with body tape and wired to the running lights.

Like Hornblower said, I like to be seen at night .......