PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new seat

cosborn
12-10-2014, 08:13 PM
G'day all,
I'm in the process of getting the bike ready for another possible trip around Australia some time in the future and I'm looking to replace the stock seat on my F6B.

I'm 6' tall and about 100kg and i don't think that i necessarily need a seat that will drop me down further, but i need one that will allow me to cover up to 600km per day at most. The one that seems to stick out as the most suitable from what i've read (not seen unfortunately) is the Mustang Tripper Fastback.

I would be interested in opinions both good and bad and also ideas on other suitable seats/brands

Regards and best

Chris

:hitfan:

hiflyer
12-10-2014, 10:39 PM
G'day all,
I'm in the process of getting the bike ready for another possible trip around Australia some time in the future and I'm looking to replace the stock seat on my F6B.

I'm 6' tall and about 100kg and i don't think that i necessarily need a seat that will drop me down further, but i need one that will allow me to cover up to 600km per day at most. The one that seems to stick out as the most suitable from what i've read (not seen unfortunately) is the Mustang Tripper Fastback.

I would be interested in opinions both good and bad and also ideas on other suitable seats/brands

Regards and best

Chris

The Mustang is a top quality seat, construction wise, not so much for me in the comfort zone. Lots of guys here love them. My concern for you is your knee position as you are tall. That's what bugged me. I also tried the Ultimate Mid Rider. It didn't work either, yet it is another top quality seat. Pushed me too far towards the handlebars, kind of like the stock Full Gold Wing does. I ended up getting an Air Hawk and have made 1k mile days on the stock seat using this when my butt got sore. It's all a matter what fits ya and makes ya happy. Cheers!

Deer Slayer
12-11-2014, 08:46 AM
G'day all,

Regards and best

Chris

Hi, I am about your size, and have ridden over 200,000 miles on GL1800's. I have used the stock seat because it is water proof. No need to cover the seat as it rains. Just my 2 cents. :cheers:

Steve 0080
12-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Go Ultimate...I have had both!

cosborn
12-12-2014, 03:53 PM
I sent an email to Mustang Seats in the US

G'day all,
I have a 2013 Honda F6B and I'm interested in replacing the stock seat with a Mustang Tripper Fastback seat.
I do about 40,000 km per year, I'm 5'11", 100kg and am looking for a seat that will allow me to travel up to 600 km per day. I
have a couple of concerns which are:
1. Will the seat be lower than the original seat. I am happy with the current seat height and angle of the legs. I have had a hip replacement!
2. Will the seat still let me remove the bikes side covers without having to remove the seat?
3. Can i still use the original Honda passenger backrest?
4. Rough estimate of cost landed in Canberra Australia in US $
5. Estimate of delivery time.

And their reply to me.

Hi Chris, thanks for the email.

Our seats for the F6B position you slightly down and back, but along with the shape and angle of the foam, it should improve the rider’s posture and comfort without drastically altering your riding experience. Obviously, given your medical condition, I cannot accurately predict your personal experience.

Our design team made an aesthetic decision to bring the seat closer to the body than stock. While all controls can be accessed with the seat installed, in some cases it does become a bit more difficult to do things the way you used to with the stock seat on it.

We work with the OEM passenger backrest. You’ll need to remove it to install the seat, then re-install it after.

Considering part 76840, the shipping cost to Australia is approximately $130, not including taxes, duties or fees. This item is currently in stock, and I would expect the delivery time would be approximately a week, though to be honest international shipping is not my expertise!

Have a look at the install sheet which I have enclosed. I might warn you that this is a tricky install and it’s best if you have a friend help you out.

Chris

Steve 0080
12-12-2014, 05:50 PM
The seat is easy enough to install...if anything all you need is 4 long screwdrivers to alighned the holes before penetration.....

opas ride
12-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Some have had very minor issues installing the Mustang seat, others, like myself, could not make it work and had the dealer tech install the thing...Sometimes the after-market stainless bolts work, some not..they proved to be too short in my case and we used the stock seat bolts..Listen to Chris at Mustang seats as he is right when he says these seats can prove to be a PITA to install for some...Once on it is a great seat and I love mine...Well worth the money for me...Good Luck...

cosborn
12-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I guess my main concern, and don't get me wrong i love the style of the seat, but the fact that you cannot get the side covers off with the seat in place. I'm wondering if this really is a problem as most of the batteries are no maint these days. Perhaps I'm just looking at the down side.

Are there any other ideas within the forum, maybe other makes?

Chris

opas ride
12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
I know the Mustang seat fits much tighter on the side covers than stock but do not see it as a major problem. You need to remove the covers to adjust the rear shock and service battery, but how often does that occur?..In cold climates like Michigan I use a battery tender during the winter, but have a pig-tail hook up that comes out thru the side cover bottom(dealer installed) so no problems so far...I have only had the seat on for one riding season so have no real data on long term side cover removal issues...Many on the board have said they have had no problems removing the covers after loosening the seat rail bolts a little....I personally did not feel the side cover issue was significant enough to prevent me from buying this great seat!!!

cosborn
12-13-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks opas, i'll keep that in mind, I am leaning towards the Mustang.
I've also sent an email to Ultimate so we will see what they say, hard decision i like them both.

Chris

SoCal Rich
12-14-2014, 01:23 PM
You can't go wrong with either one. I had a Mustang on my Vulcan and loved it. I have an Ultimate on my F6B and love it. The reasons I chose Ultimate over Mustang are that I'm tall and wanted the King, and I like the adjustable rider backrest which you cannot get on the Mustang for F6B.

RickW
12-14-2014, 02:45 PM
I sent an email to Mustang Seats in the US

G'day all,
I have a 2013 Honda F6B and I'm interested in replacing the stock seat with a Mustang Tripper Fastback seat.
I do about 40,000 km per year, I'm 5'11", 100kg and am looking for a seat that will allow me to travel up to 600 km per day. I
have a couple of concerns which are:
1. Will the seat be lower than the original seat. I am happy with the current seat height and angle of the legs. I have had a hip replacement!
2. Will the seat still let me remove the bikes side covers without having to remove the seat?
3. Can i still use the original Honda passenger backrest?
4. Rough estimate of cost landed in Canberra Australia in US $
5. Estimate of delivery time.

And their reply to me.

Hi Chris, thanks for the email.

Our seats for the F6B position you slightly down and back, but along with the shape and angle of the foam, it should improve the rider’s posture and comfort without drastically altering your riding experience. Obviously, given your medical condition, I cannot accurately predict your personal experience.

Our design team made an aesthetic decision to bring the seat closer to the body than stock. While all controls can be accessed with the seat installed, in some cases it does become a bit more difficult to do things the way you used to with the stock seat on it.

We work with the OEM passenger backrest. You’ll need to remove it to install the seat, then re-install it after.

Considering part 76840, the shipping cost to Australia is approximately $130, not including taxes, duties or fees. This item is currently in stock, and I would expect the delivery time would be approximately a week, though to be honest international shipping is not my expertise!

Have a look at the install sheet which I have enclosed. I might warn you that this is a tricky install and it’s best if you have a friend help you out.

Chris

IF the Mustang Seat is what you think you may like you need to jump on it. That is a good deal for Shipping to Australia, for the size of the box. That will cost them way more then that to ship, probably about double or more because of dimensional weight.

cosborn
12-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Cheers Rick, I went to the Value Accessories website and guess what. They currently don't ship to my address, oh well.

Chris

RickW
12-14-2014, 09:41 PM
Cheers Rick, I went to the Value Accessories website and guess what. They currently don't ship to my address, oh well.

Chris

I own Value-Accessories and we do ship internationally and to Australia almost every day. Some of our best customers are from Australia and we have known them for many years. We keep track of which bikes everyone owns and make sure especially when shipping half way around the globe that everything is correct.
We try to use the postal system for you guys in Australia as much as we can, but your country limits maximum length and girth to 79" for Postal inbound shipping. We can get everything in there using the Postal System at very reasonable rates except Windshields, Seats and some Exhaust.

We do have listed on the F6B seats page that international shipping is not offered because of the large shipping expense due to the size of the box. The cheapest is about $300 for shipping to Europe. Most people can not believe it is so expensive because of the size of the box and usually will not pay it.

That is why I suggested going directly with Mustang if they were willing to ship for such a low price to Australia. Someone probably just put in the weight and not the box dimensions to go with it.

We do have both both Plain and Tuck and Roll in stock. If anyone thinks they want one you for sure do not want to wait until next Spring.

cosborn
12-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that Rick, I now see the problem.

Cheers and best

Chris

cosborn
12-15-2014, 03:23 AM
I went up to Goulburn this morning to see a friend who makes motorcycle seats, he made a beauty for my R1150RT which allowed me to travel long distances without having to rest.I seem to remember that it cost me about $300. and lasted for over 100,000 km.

Anyway, he was quite amazed at the stock seat noting that it had no form or shape to support the bum or the back, anyway i have left him with some complaints that i have with the stock seat and he suggested that he will think about it over Christmas and come up with a plan.

For interest sake i've included his web site below and a pickie of the RT seat

http://www.mjmcustommotorbikeseats.com.au

F4 Customs
12-22-2014, 09:29 AM
I have a Ultimate seat on all 3 of my motorcycles and highly recommend them.

woody
12-22-2014, 06:45 PM
G'day Cos to some the inconvenience of the seat hindering access to the battery, suspension adjustment and fuses may not be a big deal and I can see their point. However if I was on the side of the Darwin to Port Headland road waiting for a "friend" to help with the reinstall of the seat I could be there quite some time.

What I am trying to get across is in isolated areas such as the top end people have perished waiting for mechanical assistance. I am sure you would have an understanding of this Cos but many overseas visitors vastly underestimate the importance of being prepared.

To me any aftermarket product that impairs any maintainence is off my radar. Just my two cents worth and I hope you find a solution to your seat needs. The ones your friend makes look great.

Ultimate Seats
01-14-2015, 05:44 PM
G'day Cos to some the inconvenience of the seat hindering access to the battery, suspension adjustment and fuses may not be a big deal and I can see their point. However if I was on the side of the Darwin to Port Headland road waiting for a "friend" to help with the reinstall of the seat I could be there quite some time.

What I am trying to get across is in isolated areas such as the top end people have perished waiting for mechanical assistance. I am sure you would have an understanding of this Cos but many overseas visitors vastly underestimate the importance of being prepared.

To me any aftermarket product that impairs any maintainence is off my radar. Just my two cents worth and I hope you find a solution to your seat needs. The ones your friend makes look great.

Cos and Woody-

Just as a side note - the side covers can be removed with both of our Ultimate F6B seats - and it was engineered top to bottom by an Aussie :icon_wink:

Best,

Dave

vstar09
01-14-2015, 10:53 PM
I have a Mustang on mine and I can remove the side covers without taking the seat off....got a Mustang because it lowered me to where I could flat foot....Had a Ultimate on my Vstar....best seat I ever owened as far as comfort......The Mustang is a PITA to install... try the tapered seat bolts

nox
01-15-2015, 05:01 AM
I have also contemplated buying a new seat. I do struggle to put both feet completely on the ground with a 29" inseam.
I don't believe the seat is too high as such, but I do find the front half of the seat is too wide which forces your legs more outwards which in turn makes the ground further away.
I believe Honda has done this to make removing the side covers much easier.
I do like the current seat to footage height and find it quite comfortable.

Could people who already have bothMustang or the Ultimate seat comment if their seat is wider, narrower or the same width as the stock seat. even a few dimensions or photos showing the difference would be great if not too much of a hassle.
May also help Cosborn on his seat choice.

Cheers

vstar09
01-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Not sure of the dimensions but I too found the stock seat to be to wide as it forced my legs out to far. I went with a mustang and that solved the problem, it also has much better lower back support

opas ride
01-15-2015, 01:38 PM
I have also contemplated buying a new seat. I do struggle to put both feet completely on the ground with a 29" inseam.
I don't believe the seat is too high as such, but I do find the front half of the seat is too wide which forces your legs more outwards which in turn makes the ground further away.
I believe Honda has done this to make removing the side covers much easier.
I do like the current seat to footage height and find it quite comfortable.

Could people who already have bothMustang or the Ultimate seat comment if their seat is wider, narrower or the same width as the stock seat. even a few dimensions or photos showing the difference would be great if not too much of a hassle.
May also help Cosborn on his seat choice.

Cheers
I have not tried the Ultimate seat but their web-site says it is about 19" wide and the Mustang is 17"...I also have a 29"(barely) inseam and with the addition of 1/2" heels/soles on my riding boots and the 1" lower Mustang seat I am good to go and really like the seat...No issues with touching flat-footed at stops and the support from the seat is great!!! BTW, the Ultimate is the same height as the stocker....

luisjromero
01-15-2015, 02:21 PM
The Mustang is a PITA to install... try the tapered seat bolts

+1 :icon_rolleyes:

opas ride
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
+1 :icon_rolleyes:

Installing the Mustang seat can be a bit of a hassle as reported...But if you use the suggested after-market bolts from Value Accessories, made by ShowChrome, not the ones from Wingstuff, the install is much easier and less of a PITA...I had the tapered bolts from last years posts and they were too short and did not work.....The updated ones are actually longer than the stock bolts and much longer than the older style offered and RickW from Value Accessories has then posted on his web-site and has installed them on his bike and he claims they work fine...I have the newer style and plan to install them next week when the weather warms up...Just my .02 cents!!!

Blackedout2014
01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
All my bikes have Corbin seats. Just picked up my new F6B and ordered the Corbin seat and Smuggler pack the same day.
Got plenty of stock seats in my attic, where they belong.

53driver
01-15-2015, 08:22 PM
All my bikes have Corbin seats. Just picked up my new F6B and ordered the Corbin seat and Smuggler pack the same day.
Got plenty of stock seats in my attic, where they belong.

My smuggler is truly awesome. Really like the way it looks and the heated seat in the philly wintertime.

silverado
03-15-2015, 02:05 AM
hi, your bike looks awesome. I am looking into buying an F6B maybe this summer. I have a meanstreak presenting. I think I am 45 minutes from you and have a friend in Lancaster. Maybe we can hook up some time

53driver
03-16-2015, 02:32 PM
hi, your bike looks awesome. I am looking into buying an F6B maybe this summer. I have a meanstreak presenting. I think I am 45 minutes from you and have a friend in Lancaster. Maybe we can hook up some time

Thank you sir!
Replied to your PM. I'm pretty available, now that I'm back in town.
Cheers!