PDA

View Full Version : Power for GPS

Cheesyryder
12-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Sorry if this question is a little silly
So if you want to hook up a GPS do you need to run a wire from the battery, under the tank up thru the forks or is there a power harness under the fairing??
Thanks

stepbill
12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
If I remember correctly, under the left front pocket (you have to remove it), there is a connection that you can plug the gps into for power. Electricial Connection sells the adapter that plugs into the harness and you then connect that wire to the wire from your gps power. I'm sure that someone else will be able to explain it better. I also hooked up a cigarette lighter to the inside of the pocket at the same time.

bigbird
12-11-2014, 11:53 AM
If I remember correctly, under the left front pocket (you have to remove it), there is a connection that you can plug the gps into for power. Electricial Connection sells the adapter that plugs into the harness and you then connect that wire to the wire from your gps power. I'm sure that someone else will be able to explain it better. I also hooked up a cigarette lighter to the inside of the pocket at the same time.

If you install a 12V DC accessory adapter in your left front pocket, you can power your GPS using a cigarette lighter adapter. That way there is no need to hard wire anything. And yes, there is a factory 12V harness already sitting there waiting to hook up to an accessory socket. Wingstuff, an online retailer, sells this, which is plug and play:

http://wingstuff.com/products/3622-fairing-power-plug-socket-for-gl1800?context=lights_electrical-f6b

I always say support those who support this forum.
BTW, wingstuff has free shipping on anything until Dec 15. in the US. Can't beat that!

Steve 0080
12-11-2014, 12:25 PM
+1 on BigBird.... go hard wire...and if you do not leave your GPS on your bike put in a quick disconnect,,,,,YMMV