PDA

View Full Version : MBL Wide Risers

F6BPDX
12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Apparently a life of daily driving in the Pacific North Wet is too much for the hardware supplied by MBL. When I received these from another member here they looked brand new, after a few months I have tons of (hopefully just) surface rust on my bolts. I plan on pulling them, without any issues I hope, and replacing them with Stainless bolts but this should serve as a warning to anybody else that they may want to do that first.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/MBLRisers1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/MBLRisers2.jpg

Steve 0080
12-12-2014, 06:35 PM
The SS will be a lot of $$$

F6BPDX
12-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Not sure I have much choice, other than pulling them completely, since I don't want to leave them to continue rusting.

tinknocker
12-13-2014, 08:13 AM
Maybe hit them with some shellac

opas ride
12-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Would having them black powdercoated work???Just a thought...

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-13-2014, 02:01 PM
black zinc coated bolts from Ace Hardware

bobbyf6b
12-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Just a suggestion, but after my troubles removing my riser blocks I think I may have learned why I had so much trouble. I removed one bolt at a time, so I think there was too much stress on the remaining bolt. Try removing them together, alternating each bolt as you loosen them. Know what I mean?

jaygollner
12-13-2014, 03:18 PM
There is nothing wrong with that bolt, it is just a little surface rust, if you used some never seize on the threads it won't matter a bit. You could spray a little paint on the head if the cosmetics bother you.

F6BPDX
12-15-2014, 12:38 PM
There is nothing wrong with that bolt, it is just a little surface rust, if you used some never seize on the threads it won't matter a bit. You could spray a little paint on the head if the cosmetics bother you.

Jay, I admit to not knowing enough about this. Will it be a problem long term? I know that it isn't at risk of breaking right now or anything but 10 years down the road what will the situation be? Also I did not use any never seize on the bolts, so perhaps I should remove them (and buy some never seize) and add some.

Also Dirtstiff, do the zinc coated bolts not rust?

jaygollner
12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
In my opinion the bolts will be fine for a very long time, That said if you are worried about it you could remove the bolts and put some never seize on them and paint the heads or replace them with zinc plated bolts using the never seize. If it is easy to swap them in and out I say go for it, if not I would forget about it.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Jay, I admit to not knowing enough about this. Will it be a problem long term? I know that it isn't at risk of breaking right now or anything but 10 years down the road what will the situation be? Also I did not use any never seize on the bolts, so perhaps I should remove them (and buy some never seize) and add some.

Also Dirtstiff, do the zinc coated bolts not rust?

No guarantee, but I used the black, zinc coated I thought them a good alternative to stainless. They are cheap and in my opinion, were better quality than those that came with the riser. I also use never seize or dielectic grease on all bolts I expect to remove again. I think this also prevents corrosion or electrolysis and prevents rust.

I have had mine in since the bike was new, with no rust. I live west of you on the river.
Last, I also remember reading reviews about another riser manufacturer's bolts failing, so I updated to these grade 5, black, zinc bolts. Very easy to change and available at an Ace near you. Very happy with the risers, otherwise.
Jim

hiflyer
12-15-2014, 10:54 PM

If I remember right, I think stainless at Ace cost a couple of bucks per bolt. I usually replace my bolts with SS. For instance, I use them on my luggage rack, and I too use never seize on everything. First time I removed my seat, I put some on the bolts, and never have an issue putting them back in, or lining them up.....ever.

F6BPDX
12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
If I remember right, I think stainless at Ace cost a couple of bucks per bolt. I usually replace my bolts with SS. For instance, I use them on my luggage rack, and I too use never seize on everything. First time I removed my seat, I put some on the bolts, and never have an issue putting them back in, or lining them up.....ever.

You are correct, they are $2.73 a piece BUT they only carry them in a 1.50 thread pitch (at least in the two I have been in) and we need a 1.25.

Jim,

I will grab a few of the zinc coated and see what happens, along with some never seize. You wouldn't happen to remember the length needed for the MBL riser bolts would you? I would prefer to buy the new ones prior to removing the current ones.

Thanks again guys!

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-16-2014, 09:22 PM
You are correct, they are $2.73 a piece BUT they only carry them in a 1.50 thread pitch (at least in the two I have been in) and we need a 1.25.

Jim,

I will grab a few of the zinc coated and see what happens, along with some never seize. You wouldn't happen to remember the length needed for the MBL riser bolts would you? I would prefer to buy the new ones prior to removing the current ones.

Thanks again guys!
No, Id be guessing in metric and that isn't good about now...
I'm out of town until Saturday however, when I get home I could pull one or mic one of the oem bolts I still have and get you the dimension, if works?
Don't stop riding though, as others have said, the rust you are seeing is cosmetic this early in the game.
Go Ducks!
Jim

nox
12-17-2014, 06:23 AM
If you go down the road of using stainless bolts, never put them in dry and always use a little anti seize, grease or a smear of oil.
The stainless can gall and destroy the thread when removing if they were tightened too much.