PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Australia Hostage Situation

53driver
12-14-2014, 10:41 PM
ISIS terrorists have ~50 hostages and have declared they have explosive devices around the city. Please remember the globe is still at war with Islamic terror groups.

Steve 0080
12-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Need to put those folks out of business...

cosborn
12-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Unfortunately the media plays up to this instead of giving it no air play, so all the nuts will be wanting to make a name for themselves. a problem, almost as big at the moment is that we can't buy any Lindt chocolate from the shop until further notice. They have a lot to answer for!

Chris

:yikes:

53driver
12-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately the media plays up to this instead of giving it no air play, so all the nuts will be wanting to make a name for themselves. a problem, almost as big at the moment is that we can't buy any Lindt chocolate from the shop until further notice. They have a lot to answer for!

Chris

:yikes:

Chris,
Aren't guns illegal in Australia?
Especially "vicious looking" ones?

cosborn
12-15-2014, 03:02 AM
Yep guns are illegal. No rifles, semi auto's, no pistols, not even black powder rifles unless you get a licence which means that you must be a land owner who needs to control vermin, a security person, as part of their job or a sporting shooter who must be vetted by the police, belong to a registered club (where you need to have your name taken and logged whenever you shoot @ the range) and have any single shot rifle or small magazine bolt action rifle stored in a safe with the bolt separate and ammo separate again, these people are open to random inspections by the police and if found wanting, the rifles (I hate to call them weapons) are confiscated and the owner is required to show cause.
Pistols are OUT, so hard for a sporting target shooter to get a licence that it is generally not worth it.

When these laws came in a number of years ago there was a buy back by the Government and most of the privately owned rifles and other bits were destroyed. We said at that time that only the criminals would now have pistols or rifles which is exactly how it has turned out.

I have been shooting black powder for about 30 years and have now given it up as too difficult to manage. By the way you can be charged for simply having ammunition or rifle parts.

Chris

cosborn
12-15-2014, 03:11 AM
For those who may be interested i've included a link to the on-line Canberra news

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

Chris

Spanky
12-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Yep guns are illegal. No rifles, semi auto's, no pistols, not even black powder rifles unless you get a licence which means that you must be a land owner who needs to control vermin, a security person, as part of their job or a sporting shooter who must be vetted by the police, belong to a registered club (where you need to have your name taken and logged whenever you shoot @ the range) and have any single shot rifle or small magazine bolt action rifle stored in a safe with the bolt separate and ammo separate again, these people are open to random inspections by the police and if found wanting, the rifles (I hate to call them weapons) are confiscated and the owner is required to show cause.
Pistols are OUT, so hard for a sporting target shooter to get a licence that it is generally not worth it.

When these laws came in a number of years ago there was a buy back by the Government and most of the privately owned rifles and other bits were destroyed. We said at that time that only the criminals would now have pistols or rifles which is exactly how it has turned out.

I have been shooting black powder for about 30 years and have now given it up as too difficult to manage. By the way you can be charged for simply having ammunition or rifle parts.

Chris

We have folks in the US saying gun control works...

shooter
12-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Apparently Isis didn't get the memo about gun control. I can't believe they would do something against the law. Shame on them. Screaming Liberals take note. Criminals do not obey the law. Imagine that.

53driver
12-15-2014, 08:25 AM
For those who may be interested i've included a link to the on-line Canberra news

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

Chris

Thanks Chris...checking it out now.....

jkelley
12-15-2014, 09:58 AM
We have folks in the US saying gun control works...

Gun control does work! Without control how in the hell do you expect to hit what you are aiming at?

Phantom
12-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Gun control does work! Without control how in the hell do you expect to hit what you are aiming at?

Does Gun Control fall in the same category as Unicorns and Mermaids? :017:
:popcorn: :stirthepot:...........:duck: :icon_mrgreen:

53driver
12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Siege is over. Gunman and one other dead. Other minor casualties.
Sucks.

Steve 0080
12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Could have been worse !!!!! One injury...a good ending!!!

53driver
12-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Could have been worse !!!!! One injury...a good ending!!!

Revised report - 2 innocents dead.
Yes, could have been worse.
Kudos to the NSW police force and associated law enforcement groups.

cosborn
12-15-2014, 06:18 PM
As you would expect we have our share of rednecks here, but i think most Aussies realise that Islam has been hijacked and these people are the sad remnants of those who can't fit into society.

The perpetrator was a refugee welcomed into Au many years ago who may have ha a pretty shitty life in his own country and has never been offered help PTSD and all that. Not trying to make excused, just trying to understand!

Makes things very difficult for the majority of peace loving Muslims here.

Chris

53driver
12-15-2014, 06:48 PM
As you would expect we have our share of rednecks here, but i think most Aussies realise that Islam has been hijacked and these people are the sad remnants of those who can't fit into society.

The perpetrator was a refugee welcomed into Au many years ago who may have ha a pretty shitty life in his own country and has never been offered help PTSD and all that. Not trying to make excused, just trying to understand!

Makes things very difficult for the majority of peace loving Muslims here.

Chris

Concur Chris. I have many Muslim associates and friends - some of whom I served alongside.
There just seem to be an alarming number of that religious base that aren't adjusting to the ways of the modern world.
I have no issues if they wish to practice their religion in the way they choose - just don't make my or anyone else's problem by enforcing it on me or taking me hostage.
I think there's some in ANY group that seem to think this way.....ever heard "if you don't have a Harley, you're wrong"? Or, "Harley's ain't worth a damn"?

Ride and believe what you want - but do not enforce it on others.