PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen choice

Almost Fair
12-15-2014, 04:10 AM
I've joined this forum because I've got my heart set on the 2015 model. I was about to buy a 2014 until I learned of the new gray model with cruise control and reverse gear.
Anyway, after test riding one I figure I should get a taller windscreen and so I've been casting about for choices. I see Honda have a taller version but the aftermarket crowds have been extolling their own virtues. Madstad, Klock Werks, National Cycle and Bagger all seem to offer improvements over OEM.

My question is, can anyone provide their qualified opinion of their own experience with windscreen choices?

Cheers.

JackB
12-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Are you sure the 2015 has reverse?
I have the Bagger W.S. I think it looks great without the upper shield on and let's some wind in.
With the upper shield on no wind, makes a nice ride. Makes it look more like a Goldwing.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0530.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0530.jpg.html)

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0573.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0573.jpg.html)

53driver
12-15-2014, 08:51 AM
I've joined this forum because I've got my heart set on the 2015 model. I was about to buy a 2014 until I learned of the new gray model with cruise control and reverse gear.
Anyway, after test riding one I figure I should get a taller windscreen and so I've been casting about for choices. I see Honda have a taller version but the aftermarket crowds have been extolling their own virtues. Madstad, Klock Werks, National Cycle and Bagger all seem to offer improvements over OEM.

My question is, can anyone provide their qualified opinion of their own experience with windscreen choices?

Cheers.

I'll offer one bit: get your seat situation sorted BEFORE you pick your windshield.

Steve 0080
12-15-2014, 09:17 AM
I agree w/ 53 Driver... seat first, windshield second...I have had tried Stock,Mustang and now Ultimate seats... I prefer the Ultimate...I have had 6 windshields... I proffer Clearview...if > 6' go with the large if < then 6' go with the Medium... Hope this helps...kinda like an oil thread, you may get many opinions !!!!!

I saw the reverse,cruise and ABS on other than US models...hope you enjoy the bike !!!!!

SoCal Rich
12-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Also chose the Ultimate because I like an adjustable backrest. But, after trying several shields from Clearview and Cee Bailey, only the Madstad made the grade. It's the only one that relieved all buffeting and, as a bonus, is lower so I can clearly see over it.

Almost Fair
12-16-2014, 08:02 AM
This is gold.

I don't know for certain that the 2015 has reverse but a preview I read online in November touted that for the 40th anniversary edition, along with cruise control. I think it was a US review. A local agent I'd been dealing with simply texted me the January Aus launch. The black pipes appeal to me too and, they're supposed to be tuned and sound like the Valkyrie.

I had not even thought of the seat. I wasn't aware it could be considered deficient. I'd been perusing all the accessories threads looking for windscreens.
I'm currently on a VFR800 and am completely over the buffeting and cramping knees, as a 53yo, on longer trips. It's beaut for getting to/from work, 'thou; half hour through traffic.

I'm guessing the seat changes the height and the back/front position of the ride. Two votes for Ultimate. What does that provide? I figure I'd have to be sure as I'd have to ship from US to Aus.

In terms of the w/s, I'm 5'9". I'm attracted to the Bagger versatility but it's the buffeting I'm particularly concerned about, (thanks JackB for those images). The Klock Werks lines look fine but the blurb from Madstad and National look like they have really addressed the buffeting. I have to rely on my browser searches to find an item AND an agent prepared to ship to Aus so, I don't know if I've been exposed to all the options in the US. This raises the question of a reliable international shipper.

While I might be stretching the friendship of this thread, do people have favorite or must-have accessories they'd recommend? I'm already committed to the 12 V accessory port. And, JackB you've shown me the fog lights - I've wondered how the round ones look. Thanks again.

XKnight
12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I've tried 4 different windshields on my F6B and my favorite is the Vstream. It offers the most coverage with the least amount of turbulence. I look through this shield.

In terms of looks, I also liked the Klockwerks 14" Flare, but it didn't offer enough coverage for me. I'm considering trying out the Klockwerks shield w/vent made for the Goldwing since it's up to 4" taller than the F6B shield they offer and has a vent.

BACA
12-16-2014, 10:49 PM
I have had this since I purchased my 2013 and I wouldn't have anything else. Adjustable.....you can hear the radio at speed.........and no wind around the helmet area......Firecreek Accessories..........

10155 10156 10157

bobbyf6b
12-16-2014, 11:00 PM
I have had this since I purchased my 2013 and I wouldn't have anything else. Adjustable.....you can hear the radio at speed.........and no wind around the helmet area......Firecreek Accessories......

+1 :yes::yes:

Texas TC
12-16-2014, 11:09 PM
I used the Honda OEM tall windshield. For the first 24000 miles and it was, of course, better than stock. I recently bought a tall tinted F4 Customs and really like it. Larger area helps with wind protection and the coating that allows the screen to be cleaned with household window cleaner adds to the value of their products.

Old Ryder
12-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Klock Werks guy here. Add the Baker Hand Wings and I don't know what else could be better--- Great protection and good looks. The hand wings add a ton of protection.

I just cannot deal with a 4 foot tall chunk of plexiglass on my sleek looking B. :icon_wink:

opas ride
12-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Windshields and oil threads are never ending as we all have our opinions....I am 5'9" have the Mustang seat and the 11"-19" Baggershield set at the max height..Absolutely no buffeting felt, wind noise is minimal, if any, and I am 100% satistfied with this set-up...No, I have not tried anything other than the stock set-up and do not intend to...Ride safe....JMHO

F4 Customs
12-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Don here at F4 Customs. We would love to earn your business. Our shields are Highly Scratch Resistant, Shed Rain, and are Optically perfect. Going with our taller windshield stops all of the head buffeting and wind noise for you and your co rider. We also handle the Baker Air Wings which is a large improvement also. We have a 10% off sale on both items until Jan. 1st.
Don
330-968-4644

Fla_rider
12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Like everyone has said if you changing your seat do that before you change your shield. I had a BS screen and around town I used the bottom section only, on trips I flip the upper in. It was pretty good until I won the Clearview Shield at the second Annual rally! Now I have the largest Clearview shield with vent. I'm am not that tall, but I do sit tall and I need a taller shield or my helmet will blow all over the place. I'm currently happy with my choice if I get warm I open the vent and Baker shields.

I believe the Clearview is 19" to the top. The bagger is 11" lower only and 18" or 19" with upper section in. Choosing the right height is fairly easy, mark off 50 ft in front of the bike and sitting on the bike if you can see over the shield and see that mark your good to go. With the clearview I can see 35' mark. I'm only 5'7", but like I said I sit tall in the saddle. :clap2:

My avatar has the BS on it when the wife and I went to the 2nd Annual Rally!

Here is the Clearview -

zeus661
12-22-2014, 08:08 PM
JackB.... What do you have attached to the fronts of your saddle bags? Looks like some kind of scuff plate? What brand, cost, and how is installation? Thanks

luisjromero
01-04-2015, 05:47 AM
Hi!I just the bike 2 month ago, so Im still testing it...but the feeling is amazing.:icon_biggrin:
I have ordered this week the Klock Werks Windshield flare dark smoke (after a lot of doubts) and the Mustang Tripper Fastback Tuck and Roll Seat...I think is a good choice, but maybe is not enough to reduce the wind in my head (im 6´2"). I´ve seen here some photos with the same pack and the look is fantastic.
Im waiting as well for the Kury Ergo II pegs, but i don't know how they will works with me...

Let wait and i will post pictures!
Regards

Heavvyduty
01-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Hi!I just the bike 2 month ago, so Im still testing it...but the feeling is amazing.:icon_biggrin:
I have ordered this week the Klock Werks Windshield flare dark smoke (after a lot of doubts) and the Mustang Tripper Fastback Tuck and Roll Seat...I think is a good choice, but maybe is not enough to reduce the wind in my head (im 6´2"). I´ve seen here some photos with the same pack and the look is fantastic.
Im waiting as well for the Kury Ergo II pegs, but i don't know how they will works with me...

Let wait and i will post pictures!
Regards

send pics when you get Klock werks on

GiddyupF6B
01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I too had 4 different shields until I found the right one. I went with an Ergomot electric screen. It adjusts from 13' to 18' (or anywhere in between) with the flick of a switch. I keep it down in warmer weather and full height on the highway or in colder weather. Which ever shield you pick I couldn't agree more with these guys about choosing a seat first. Good luck

stevenolts
02-27-2015, 03:14 PM
I used the Honda OEM tall windshield. For the first 24000 miles and it was, of course, better than stock. I recently bought a tall tinted F4 Customs and really like it. Larger area helps with wind protection and the coating that allows the screen to be cleaned with household window cleaner adds to the value of their products.

When you switched to the F4 Customs what size, tint did you order?

Did you think the Honda was too tall? Did you order the F4 lower? wider? what tint?

(I have only ridden a short test ride with the honda) I thought the wind protections was great / I would like it 1 -2 inches lower with tint.

Steve

srt8-in-largo
02-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Are you sure the 2015 has reverse?

This is gold.

I don't know for certain that the 2015 has reverse

The 2015 Euro F6B has reverse; no other regions that I'm aware of.

Exactly!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6TFQgt-Vx2c/UqpTFDx-VrI/AAAAAAAABno/eT464HoDZDg/s800/mrmVE.gif

stevenolts
03-04-2015, 08:51 AM

I just bought the F6B and I will pick it on up Saturday / I like the wind protection from the Honda OEM tall shield with the vent.

You are the only one I see that had the Honda OEM tall windshield and then switched to the F4.
What size did you buy? How tall?

I would like 2" lower than the Honda OEM tall and tinted with shield.

Thank you,

Steve

stevenolts
03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Don here at F4 Customs. We would love to earn your business. Our shields are Highly Scratch Resistant, Shed Rain, and are Optically perfect. Going with our taller windshield stops all of the head buffeting and wind noise for you and your co rider. We also handle the Baker Air Wings which is a large improvement also. We have a 10% off sale on both items until Jan. 1st.
Don
330-968-4644

I would like 2" lower than the Honda OEM accessory tall windshield.
What size do you recommend I order?

Thank you,

Steve

db24
04-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Well, I road 750 miles behind my new F4 windshield this week.

I've tried Honda, Cee Bailey and Clearview over the past two years. The F4 is now my favorite. I purchased the 16" height, light gray, no vent at Don's suggestion. It seems to be the just the right width and height for me (5'11, with a RDL customized seat that has raised me at least an inch) and best of all I don't have to baby it when I wipe it off at gas stations. I received the windshield in four days. I highly recommend you give the F4 consideration before you waste time playing musical windshields like I have! :yes:

ths61
04-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Well, I road 750 miles behind my new F4 windshield this week.

I've tried Honda, Cee Bailey and Clearview over the past two years. The F4 is now my favorite. I purchased the 16" height, light gray, no vent at Don's suggestion. It seems to be the just the right width and height for me (5'11, with a RDL customized seat that has raised me at least an inch) and best of all I don't have to baby it when I wipe it off at gas stations. I received the windshield in four days. I highly recommend you give the F4 consideration before you waste time playing musical windshields like I have! :yes:

Looked at their website, they seem to really like their wind$hield$.

Gripper
05-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Texas....when you say tall, did you get the 20"? Also, do you wear dark sun-glasses, and, if so, does this make it too dark looking through the windshield? I have the OEM taller Honda windscreen with vent, however, I am looking for something taller and wider.....not sure about the tint though, as I use dark, prescription sun-glasses.....thanks in advance for your reply.

Gripper