PDA

View Full Version : LED headlight: Has anyone tried these?? (would they fit on F6B?)

BBB
12-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I've had LED headlight on my previous bike.
(It was a projector type, Harley Day-maker LED)

I really didn't like how the light was cut off and it made it kinda scary riding at night, esp curvy interstate (like I-17 to Northern AZ from Phoenix). So I ended up changng it back to stock with upgraded Halogen light.
But I did like the color of the light and it was GREAT on the straight back roads.

I just saw LED BULBS that replace the halogen bulb on ebay.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2nd-Gen-60W-6000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-30W-Bulbs-H4-H7-H9-H10-H11-9005-9006-/331396646171?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&var=&hash=item4d28c7851b&vxp=mtr)

I was thinking that it "should" give me the light pattern of the stock bulb with the brightness and color of LED,
which I think would be perfect. (I ride at night often but
I don't like how HID headlight blind other people on the road.)

My concern is that the back of the bulbs has heatsink attatched and was wondering if it would work with the rubber boots on the F6's headlight housing to prevent from water to get in there.....

I guess I can buy replacement 'rubber boots' and cut them up to "make them fit"
but just wanted to ask here to see if anyone has fitted these bulbs sucessfully.....

Hornblower
12-15-2014, 01:59 PM
I've had LED headlight on my previous bike.
(It was a projector type, Harley Day-maker LED)

I really didn't like how the light was cut off and it made it kinda scary riding at night, esp curvy interstate (like I-17 to Northern AZ from Phoenix). So I ended up changng it back to stock with upgraded Halogen light.
But I did like the color of the light and it was GREAT on the straight back roads.

I just saw LED BULBS that replace the halogen bulb on ebay.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2nd-Gen-60W-6000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-30W-Bulbs-H4-H7-H9-H10-H11-9005-9006-/331396646171?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&var=&hash=item4d28c7851b&vxp=mtr)

I was thinking that it "should" give me the light pattern of the stock bulb with the brightness and color of LED,
which I think would be perfect. (I ride at night often but
I don't like how HID headlight blind other people on the road.)

My concern is that the back of the bulbs has heatsink attatched and was wondering if it would work with the rubber boots on the F6's headlight housing to prevent from water to get in there.....

I guess I can buy replacement 'rubber boots' and cut them up to "make them fit"
but just wanted to ask here to see if anyone has fitted these bulbs sucessfully.....

Nobody wants to convert to LED headlights more than me so, believe me, I really wish these could work. Based on my experience, it's a really long shot. OK, Let's start with the claim...30W-3000 lumen. First, it's doubtful these bulbs are really 30 watt. It is possible, but based on others I've seen it's unlikely. Now, if the bulbs were 30 watt, they could, in fact, produce 3000 lumens. And, 3000 lumens would most likely be enough to do some good. But again, I doubt the 30 watt claim. Looking at the pics, it appears the bulbs have 2 LED elements per bulb. If they're like others I've seen, those may be 10 watt elements. If that's the case, you have 20 watt bulbs, not 30. The lumen output would therefore reduce to 1800-2000 lumens and that won't produce enough light down-the-road, IMHO.

The next problem you will most likely encounter is the light pattern. It's unlikely you will be happy with that either. The small, almost pinpoint light source of the LED elements just projects different off the OEM reflector than a halogen or even HID bulb. It can result in a undesirable pattern without a decent cutoff.

Another problem is the heat sink mounted to the back of the bulb. It prevents the use of the OEM mounting spacer. The problem that creates is the retention spring cannot fully press against the bulb flange so the bulb remains loose in the socket. That said, the flange on these particular bulbs does appear thicker than the more typical metal flange so it is possible the spring would work properly. No guarantee on that, I'm afraid.

And last, you can't use the OEM rubber sealing gasket since the heat sink is in the way. I do see a rubber o-ring on these bulbs so that may keep moisture and dirt from entering the reflector housing. I can't quite tell from the pics, but if there is a fan incorporated into the heat sinks, the question would be how that might handle wet conditions.

Aside from all these questions and concerns, the price sure does look good...almost, too good, if you know what I mean. To be honest, I wish you or someone else would experiment with these to see how close they might come to working. I would be shocked if that experiment was successful but there's always a chance. Good luck!

Steve 0080
12-15-2014, 02:32 PM
I am looking at a set for a Jeep Latitude in the $200 range...wonder how they will work out ??? Waiting to see if that is the bulb I go with ?????

motoman
12-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Nobody wants to convert to LED headlights more than me so, believe me, I really wish these could work.

Excuse me, Sir. I want to convert to LED headlights more than you! :icon_lol:

In order for LED headlights to work properly, 2 things are necessary:

1. The correct reflector shape to gather the small but intense LED light and throw it forward, and
2. A Projector (aspherical) lens

I have several LED flashlights which produce FANTASTIC light, and throw it further than I would even need on the motorcycle. 1800 lumens is PLENTY, especially if you have 2.

Unfortunately, you can't just throw in an H7 LED bulb and get good results. That would be too easy.

I have seen several writeups on installing an automobile projector headlight setup on a motorcycle. In addition, it would be REALLY nice if we could get the Halo light too, which would be interesting because if a motorcycle had daytime running lights (DRL), maybe it would no longer be required to have the headlights on all the time. :shock: I saw one of these on eBay from China, but stayed away for obvious reasons.

I am starting to see some lighting upgrades for Sport bikes, and I assume we will see some Wing options in the near future. Until then, I will probably just install a good HID system, and maybe the H7 LED bulbs for the high beams until this all gets worked out.

Old Ryder
12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
I spent a small fortune on LEDs on my Harley-- running/driving/tail/brake/headlight. The advantage on the HOG was the reduced draw on the charging system. It helped a lot. As for extra brightness, it was not that much better than the Sylvania-- if any better at all.

On my wish list is the 960s for extra daytime light as I rarely ride at night. When it comes to lighting up the road after dark, the standard OEM on the B is as good if not better than what was on the Harley. JMHO.

BBB
12-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I spent a small fortune on LEDs on my Harley-- running/driving/tail/brake/headlight. The advantage on the HOG was the reduced draw on the charging system. It helped a lot. As for extra brightness, it was not that much better than the Sylvania-- if any better at all.

On my wish list is the 960s for extra daytime light as I rarely ride at night. When it comes to lighting up the road after dark, the standard OEM on the B is as good if not better than what was on the Harley. JMHO.

I thought I was one of the VERY FEW that wasn't too happy with the Harley LED (especially for the price!)

After reading the few replies to my original post, I have decided not to get into what COULD WELL BE some waste of my hard erned money.

After all, when I first took a ride on my F6B at night, I was pretty impressed with how the stock headlight shines down the road.

I guess it's just the symptom of my modification addiction.... lol

Thank you for all the replies and opinions!

You guys helped me not to spend money this time!

Old Ryder
12-15-2014, 09:22 PM
I am right there with you. LED turn signals-- front and rear conversions are on the list and as I said the 960's. But I too, am leaving the headlights the way they are. They are great as is.

Spanky
12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
I was talking to someone last week about these. I got this link.I wonder if its a scam or new trend....
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-power-led-headlamp-car-h4-led-headlight-bulbs-with-fan-type-led-head-light-kit/123653_1612412538.html

Old Ryder
12-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I have bought a lot of stuff like that on EBay and other places. My experience has been they either are not very bright which defeats the purpose in the first place. Or else they don't last long. I find the best products come from forum sponsors--you can't hide unhappy customers on a forum. They may cost more, but nobody wants a bad reputation on the boards.

As for the auto stuff---I just don't know. Sometimes the reviews help, but again, I just don't know. The cars are for getting you back and forth to everywhere. Bike are made to spend money on and look cool:icon_mrgreen:.

JackB
12-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Here is a set of lights that say they will fit a Goldwing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-H7-80-Watt-LED-Bulbs-for-Honda-Goldwing-GL1800-and-F6B-10-107-x2-/291236611281?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cf0e04d1&vxp=mtr

Old Ryder
12-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Here are the specs. Big bike Parts and Show Chrome are good companies. Am I reading correctly???? 18 Watt draw????
5 Watt LEDs????

This pair of LED bulbs from Big Bike Parts® is a direct universal replacement for the standard H7 bulbs found on GL1800 Goldwing (2001-2014) headlights.
•The condenser lens concentrates the majority of the light straight ahead where you need it most.
•This constant-current 18 watt (actual) LED bulb draws less current than a standard halogen bulb.
•Combines 16 high capacity CREE 5 watt LEDs and a condenser lens to greatly enhance the brightness with 360 degree viewing to create an exceptional 80 watt (equivalent) bulb.
•This is a direct universal replacement for the standard H7 bulbs found on 2001 and later Honda GL1800 Goldwings, both the touring model and the F6B.

bigbird
12-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Cyclemax and valueaccessories, who both sell these LED's, do not recommend them for low beam, only for high beam, to match the output colour of their HID low beam kit.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_80_watt_led_headlight_bulb/46037/237643

http://store.valueaccessories.net/80WattLEDH7HeadlightBulb.aspx

Hornblower
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Cyclemax and valueaccessories, who both sell these LED's, do not recommend them for low beam, only for high beam, to match the output colour of their HID low beam kit.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_80_watt_led_headlight_bulb/46037/237643

http://store.valueaccessories.net/80WattLEDH7HeadlightBulb.aspx

It's interesting that these bulbs are no longer being recommended for low beam replacement. Having purchased an identical-looking item from SoCalMotoGear months ago, I know why. In a nutshell, they advertise these bulbs as 80 watt EQUIVALENT. It's a mystery how they come up with that number. I checked mine with a clip-on ammeter and they were pulling slightly less than 1 amp each which means the actual wattage was something around 12 watts. As a result, the lumen output could not be any greater than 800 to possibly 1200 lumens. That is not enough to be an effective headlight and frankly, not even equivalent to the light output of a 55 watt halogen. So again, it seems dishonest to advertise these as 80 watt equivalent.

I did actually replace my high beam halogens with these bulbs and I would agree the color match to the HID low beams is pretty good. Unfortunately, as far as projecting any light down-the-road, they're pretty useless, especially when you're running HID low beams.

What I'm waiting and looking for is a 25 to 30 watt LED H7 bulb that produces 2500 to 3000 lumens. For that power, the bulb will have to have a pretty good means of handling the heat so expect to see a good size heat sink and probably a fan as well to make that last. When I see bulbs like those in these few previous posts that have no obvious heat sink or fan, I know immediately to ignore it as a real solution.