View Full Version : New Engine Design .... Cylindrical 5

Phantom
12-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU

hiflyer
12-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Very interesting

That would be a cool aviation engine, fewer parts means better dependability, weight savings, and it would fit a nacelle really nice!

bigbird
12-18-2014, 09:37 PM
I would want to know about how the piston rings would survive. There would be some serious lateral forces on the rings as the reciprocator rotates. Each compression stroke would see the piston and rings entering a different cylinder. Lubricating the piston rings without having oil consumed (burned) looks like a challenge.

53driver
12-18-2014, 09:56 PM
I would want to know about how the piston rings would survive. There would be some serious lateral forces on the rings as the reciprocator rotates. Each compression stroke would see the piston and rings entering a different cylinder. Lubricating the piston rings without having oil consumed (burned) looks like a challenge.

I was thinking the cylinders rotated like a cylinder in a pistol-revolver.....

Steve 0080
12-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Big write up in last months bike mag... be around for 10 + years.... Everybody asks why...I ask why not !

motoman
12-19-2014, 01:00 PM
There are several advanced engine designs out there, but only so many vehicle manufacturers...

So unless you want to build the entire vehicle, you have to wait until one of them adopts your design.

And that ain't gonna happen.

I think we will see widespread electric or hydrogen motors before any variation of an I/C engine gets mass produced.