PDA

View Full Version : Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?

BobinMich
12-18-2014, 10:50 PM
I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

shooter
12-18-2014, 10:59 PM
With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?

BobinMich
12-18-2014, 11:14 PM
With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?

Picking up on the way home from Iowa on 12/26, 1-3 inches of snow calling...... AND 700 miles.....And will have my son.....and lots of Christmas presents.

bigbird
12-19-2014, 12:48 AM
I'd rent/borrow a trailer.

XHarley
12-19-2014, 12:51 AM
I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

If it was me I would buy, borrow or rent a trailer for the drive down to the dealer or rent a U-Haul trailer at the dealer location and do a one way haul with the bike on the trailer. The problem with a large motorcycle on the back of a short bed pick-up is getting it on and off. Unless you have a very long ramp you run the risk of high centering the bike when it is in transition with one wheel on the ramp and the other on the truck. This is an 840 lb machine that once it starts moving will be hard to control if it starts moving in the wrong direction. Plus, you would need an extra wide ramp to allow you to be able to put both feet down as you ride the bike up and down the ramp. Your call but I wouldn't risk the chance for a disaster.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

X

Jimmytee
12-19-2014, 06:23 AM

I am going to strongly echo what has already been said. Not that it can't be done, but man the idea of getting this bike on and off a truck bed scares me. I have seen too many of such videos on You Tube where it went wrong. Like mentioned, there is no saving it if things don't quite go as you want. Please rent or borrow a trailer.

jkelley
12-19-2014, 06:41 AM
trailer no doubt

Steve 0080
12-19-2014, 06:48 AM
$32.95...all you need is 6 tie down ratchet straps !!!!

http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Trailer-Rentals-near-Port-Huron-MI-48060/003414/

A 5' x 9' Utility Trailer with Ramp has been added to your cart.

Save your back! Hire a Moving Helper in your area to load your equipment.
Your Shopping Cart

Click the trash can to remove items from your cart.

Rental Equipment Remove
Edit 5' x 9' Utility Trailer with Ramp $24.95
Edit Damage coverage
SafeTow®
$8.00
Edit Rental Dollies/Pads
None selected $0.00
Edit Pick up: 12/27/2014 9:00 AM
Solo Storage
6 hour rental
Equipment subtotal: $32.95
Due in store
Due today: $0.00

All rates are in US dollars and do not include sales tax or shipping unless otherwise noted.

BobinMich
12-19-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm not too concerned with riding it up/down the ramp. I have ridden Harley Ultra Classics UP and down a ramp into a pickup bed...but that was when I had my 8' box F250 and did not have the tailgate on. The TAILGATE issue is what I am worried about. I DO have a kendon trailer, actually 2 of them, both the single and double versions....but I am going to NW Iowa for Christmas and really didn't want to haul an empty trailer out there and then to Waukon (900 miles empty total) if I didn't have to.....I do use an 8' ramp, 4 foot wide aluminum, but they say they have one there. I would verify their ramp size before leaving my ramp home. Whenever you have a trailer behind you, there is always an extra risk there as well.:shrug:

Plus with the kendon....the poor F6B will get a LOT DIRTIER! :yikes: much lower to the ground and gets wheel splatter from the tow vehicle.

hoglaw
12-19-2014, 08:30 AM
No big deal. I've done what you're suggesting many times. The trick is to park the truck with the front on a slight incline. I once took a Harley Road King in a 1/2 ton Ford Ranger from Orlando to Milwaukee and back without any problem. Trailers are nice, but they too have drawbacks.

hiflyer
12-19-2014, 08:47 AM
No big deal. I've done what you're suggesting many times. The trick is to park the truck with the front on a slight incline. I once took a Harley Road King in a 1/2 ton Ford Ranger from Orlando to Milwaukee and back without any problem. Trailers are nice, but they too have drawbacks.

Just be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvuuCzckJU

53driver
12-19-2014, 08:58 AM
As I recall, my F-150 longbed tailgate is rated for 200 pounds per the manual.

As you have mentioned, I would be concerned for the structural disposition during load in/out.
Best of luck,
Steve

db24
12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Nice morning, dry roads-- ride it home!

reys13f6b
12-19-2014, 09:43 AM
You didnt mention whether the dealer was local or not. If so, i would skip all those other options and have the dealer deliver the bike to your home. Its worth asking the question. I asked the question, thinking i knew what they would say, but to my surprise...they said "sure....of course".

bigbird
12-19-2014, 09:45 AM
You didnt mention whether the dealer was local or not. If so, i would skip all those other options and have the dealer deliver the bike to your home. Its worth asking the question. I asked the question, thinking i knew what they would say, but to my surprise...they said "sure....of course".

Post #3 of this thread:

"Picking up on the way home from Iowa on 12/26, 1-3 inches of snow calling...... AND 700 miles....."

Texas TC
12-19-2014, 09:48 AM
As folks have mentioned, the length of the ramp is critical. The F6B is low and the wheelbase is long and it is real easy to get the frame stuck as the front wheel enters the flat part of the bed and the rear wheel is still in the ramp. I have a dove tail trailer and even with the extra angle the clearance at the frame when the front wheel enters the flat bed is less than 1/4" when I load my bike. I would hate to ride the heavy F6B up the ramp only to get it stuck on the frame at the top of the ramp.

naga viper
12-19-2014, 09:49 AM
I rented a uhaul to bring mine home even thought I have a landscape trailer. No worries of salt or cinders.

Phantom
12-19-2014, 10:21 AM
You are spending thousands of dollars on a new bike, take a little of the savings and rent a u-haul trailer.

If you drop the bike and damage any cosmetic part .... you will be spending 100's to repair it and now you own a "not as new" bike.

rent a trailer :icon_cool::yes:

Old Ryder
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
The dealer can problably help you get it on and strapped down OK. The motorcycle chock helps a lot. I won't haul my bike without the front tire in one. I have done this more than once. The key is to have 3 or 4 good friends to help you get it down. Don't try riding it on or off or just you and one other person. My experience is that a 12 pack can attract a decent number of good friends in a short period of time. Everybody wants to come over and see your new bike!

valkmc
12-19-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm not too concerned with riding it up/down the ramp. I have ridden Harley Ultra Classics UP and down a ramp into a pickup bed...but that was when I had my 8' box F250 and did not have the tailgate on. The TAILGATE issue is what I am worried about. I DO have a kendon trailer, actually 2 of them, both the single and double versions....but I am going to NW Iowa for Christmas and really didn't want to haul an empty trailer out there and then to Waukon (900 miles empty total) if I didn't have to.....I do use an 8' ramp, 4 foot wide aluminum, but they say they have one there. I would verify their ramp size before leaving my ramp home. Whenever you have a trailer behind you, there is always an extra risk there as well.:shrug:

Plus with the kendon....the poor F6B will get a LOT DIRTIER! :yikes: much lower to the ground and gets wheel splatter from the tow vehicle.

Done it many times with my F150 and a 1998 Valkyrie. The dealer sounds like they have a decent ramp set up. Just be careful, the tailgate will hold no problem.

BobinMich
12-19-2014, 01:01 PM
I have a loading dock....I just back my truck up and the F6B comes down on a CEMENT ramp...... :)

unsub
12-19-2014, 01:06 PM

It sounds as if you don't have a lot of experience with transporting motorcycles of this size. Because of that I think it's a bad idea to use a PU Truck, especially a short bed.. Use the necessary equipment to haul your bike in a safe manner. It's a deceptively big machine that will be easier to load than to off load with a PU truck and ramps.

If you must use your truck find a loading dock ( your dealer?) that's truck bed hight for loading and similarly for off loading. On delivery, maybe a loading bay close to home that you can use to unload and drive it home from there?

Amipro
12-19-2014, 01:36 PM
... Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

I don't think the weight on the tailgate will be an issue. Probably the more important question would be how to load and unload. IMHO the cost of a trailer rental or the inconvenience of wagging an empty trailer around don't measure up to the potential damage to the bike or yourself. It's a beautiful machine. Keep her that way. Rent a trailer.

Ridlikhel
12-19-2014, 04:23 PM
If it was me I would buy, borrow or rent a trailer for the drive down to the dealer or rent a U-Haul trailer at the dealer location and do a one way haul with the bike on the trailer. The problem with a large motorcycle on the back of a short bed pick-up is getting it on and off. Unless you have a very long ramp you run the risk of high centering the bike when it is in transition with one wheel on the ramp and the other on the truck. This is an 840 lb machine that once it starts moving will be hard to control if it starts moving in the wrong direction. Plus, you would need an extra wide ramp to allow you to be able to put both feet down as you ride the bike up and down the ramp. Your call but I wouldn't risk the chance for a disaster.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

X

I'm with you on that. I wouldn't risk it on my bike.

Big Jay
12-19-2014, 09:35 PM
I've had mine in my f150 6.5 bed, loading is no problem with my 9ft. ramp. Unloading has a little pucker factor, big bike back wards down a ramp.
It is doable, no worry about the weight on the tailgate the rear wheel sets pretty much in the gap. It's up to you what you are comfortable with.
good luck with your endever what ever that winds up being.

BobinMich
12-19-2014, 09:59 PM
I've had mine in my f150 6.5 bed, loading is no problem with my 9ft. ramp. Unloading has a little pucker factor, big bike back wards down a ramp.
It is doable, no worry about the weight on the tailgate the rear wheel sets pretty much in the gap. It's up to you what you are comfortable with.
good luck with your endever what ever that winds up being.

Thanks, I have a loading dock for unloading....so that's not an issue. Bob

Hornblower
12-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks, I have a loading dock for unloading....so that's not an issue. Bob

Loading and unloading from a loading dock makes ALL the difference!

blackmetoc
12-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Has anybody rented a non motorcycle trailer and just used that? With no seat for the front wheel, are there issues. I am looking at buying and may have to trailer it home and would like to keep my brandy new bike chip free during my move.

Fla_rider
12-22-2014, 07:50 AM
I borrowed a trailer from a Harley friend to transport the F6 to Tampa. It was disastrous, first I hung up on the bottom. Scrapped the shit out of my belly pan, but that's replaceable. After I got it on I found out it wouldn't fit on the trailer! Our F6B is longer than most HD's. So then I had to get it off and that was more difficult then getting it on.

grendl
12-24-2014, 01:12 PM
For the situation ,I vote like a few have so far. Rent a trailer once you get there drive it home. U-Haul has some low bed trailers with a short ramp that should work nicely. Chock the front ,Strap her down,pad the sides and go.
You mentioned projected snow in your area, drive easy !...

Old Ryder
12-24-2014, 05:57 PM
BTW---the day is getting close. We are waiting for pictures.

Hook
12-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Rent or borrow a trailer OMG :icon_doh:

cpt_go
12-25-2014, 02:41 AM
Most of the larger UHauls in the larger cities now have a special 4x9 trailer made just for hauling motorcycles. It has a built in wheel chock and tons of tie down points, rides low with ez loading ramp. Cost about $14.95 per day plus tax. I used it to transport my Rune which is over 8' long, my F6B is about the same length maybe a little longer.
I agree with some of the others, Rent, Beg, Borrow or Steal a trailer much easier, less stress and you can load it without help. Save the beer to celebrate when you get home from a safe trip.

BobinMich
12-27-2014, 08:59 PM
6.5 bed worked PERFECT and did NOT have a trailer behind me. Used a metal loading dock and a dock at home to unload. Had a wheel chock mounted on a small piece of plywood. Just rested it on the 4X8 plywood (3/4 inch). Easy peasy.

XHarley
12-27-2014, 09:49 PM
6.5 bed worked PERFECT and did NOT have a trailer behind me. Used a metal loading dock and a dock at home to unload. Had a wheel chock mounted on a small piece of plywood. Just rested it on the 4X8 plywood (3/4 inch). Easy peasy.

Congrats Bob on your new purchase and for making the haul home a success. Having a loading dock on both ends makes the process so much easier. Now all you need is some decent weather up there in Michigan to enjoy that new bike. Since you have owned so many different bikes I will look forward to your comments on how the F6B stacks up to all the rest.

Thanks,
X

edgeman55
12-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Happy you made it home safe with your new ride and I must say it is the right color!Enjoy getting used to her I am sure you will find it a awsome ride.

DaWadd
12-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Congrats, looking good and looks like no snow there. Hope you got a ride in. Minus 27 c here.:yes:

Kirkster1520
12-30-2014, 11:46 AM
I haven't been on the site for a while and missed this thread earlier. I got my F6B back in Sept and brought it home to VA from Sevierville, TN, about a 9 hour drive in the back of my little Ford Ranger pickup. The back wheel was resting on the tail gate. I had a front wheel chock for stability.

The dealer had a ramp even with the truck bed and the bike went on fine, but boy did the bed drop once all 840 pounds were on board. To unload it, I borrowed a friends ramp and backed my truck up to my driveway which has a slight upward slant, thus making the angle better. I had my son, daughter, her boyfriend and myself to unload it. I controlled the decent with the front brake and all 4 steadied it. Piece of cake. I will through some pics of that adventure on here when I get a chance.

I was going to ride it home if the truck didn't look like it would handle it but it worked out fine. I just didn't want to put all those miles on it getting it home. I have just over 2,000 on it now. I've been riding some on the weekends when I can. Winter here in VA allows for riding every now and then. I take advantage of it when I can.

Scotrod
12-30-2014, 09:06 PM

6.5 bed worked PERFECT and did have a trailer behind me.