PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and glasses

zeus661
12-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I wear tinted safety glasses that have a bifocal lense so I can read the dash and GPS easily. I buy about 4 pair at a time. I want to find a new 3/4 helmet that allows room for glasses. I don't care about a shield on the helmet. Can anyone recommend a helmet that works well with glasses?

bigbird
12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I own a really high quality open face (3/4) helmet, a Shoei J Cruise.
I find that if I put the helmet on first, then put my glasses on next, the fit and feel is great.
Trying to put the helmet on over the glasses is an exercise in futility.

Of course, since no two heads are the same shape, YMMV.

I suggest you try any helmet on first before buying sight unseen.

BadDawg
12-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I have a pair of HJC-IS33. They come with a face shield and drop down/built in sun visor. I took the face shield off and just us the visor which works great with my regular prescription glasses. My wife likes having both the face shield and visor. The inside visor does retract.

SCMike
12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
I wear an Arai CT-Z with glasses. Like you, I wear the bifocal safety glass sunglasses during the day, and my prescription bifocals at night.
The CT-Z works great with glasses, but you do have to put the helmet on first and then put the glasses on.
The helmet has a face sheild, but it and the visor are easy to remove and reinstall. I take the shield off in the summer, put it back on in cooler weather.
The Arai also seems to offer more protection than most 3/4 face helmets, and the fit is phenomenal, at least for my fat head.

http://www.araiamericas.com/#/helmets/moto/ct-z/solid/aluminum-silver

opas ride
12-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I have both a Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 with face shield and an HJC open face 3/4 helmet...It is really tight to get my glasses over my ears with the Shoei so I am going to purchase frames with straight back ear pieces next spring after my annual eye exam...With the HJC my glasses fit great, but no face shield, and I only use the HJC in warmer weather as the wind noise is very noticeable compared with the Shoei, which is one of nicest and quietest helmets I have ever owned.....In any event, it always seems to work better to put your glasses on after the helmet....

bigbird
12-19-2014, 05:50 PM
I have a pair of HJC-IS33. They come with a face shield and drop down/built in sun visor. I took the face shield off and just us the visor which works great with my regular prescription glasses. My wife likes having both the face shield and visor. The inside visor does retract.

Be very careful with that model. For me at least, it fits one size too small. In other words, try on a size one size larger than you normally would take. Otherwise, great helmet.

BadDawg
12-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Be very careful with that model. For me at least, it fits one size too small. In other words, try on a size one size larger than you normally would take. Otherwise, great helmet.

+1

DaWadd
12-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Shoei RJ Platinum. Very comfortable and glasses fit nicely. No face shield just a visor. It's my favorite.

Steve 0080
12-20-2014, 10:05 AM
I used these on a full face shield and they worked out GREAT !!! Just installed down on bottom of the shield and when ever I looked at my GPS or Phone it was perfect... just a thought !

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Stick--Bifocal-Lenses-Diopter/dp/B00GHRIW6E/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419087783&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=bi+focal+stick+on&pebp=1419087803050

Hornblower
12-20-2014, 10:22 AM
I used these on a full face shield and they worked out GREAT !!! Just installed down on bottom of the shield and when ever I looked at my GPS or Phone it was perfect... just a thought !

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Stick--Bifocal-Lenses-Diopter/dp/B00GHRIW6E/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419087783&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=bi+focal+stick+on&pebp=1419087803050

Nice find there, Steve 'all/right'. For people that need some close-up magnification and don't want to wear their bifocals, this looks like a great solution. They will need to be careful about the "add" they order. I see these are offered in various strengths or "adds" and, of course, a 2.50 add is pretty strong. It's about what I need at my age, however :icon_rolleyes:.

bobbyf6b
12-20-2014, 10:40 AM

:biggthumpup: I haven't tried them but that's a really great idea!

Steve 0080
12-21-2014, 09:00 AM
:biggthumpup: I haven't tried them but that's a really great idea!

Bobby, I used this set up for two years before I got my new eye !!! Works great !!!

Old Ryder
12-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Bell 500 retro style for me. They have a groove for glasses.

Another option is to use a "helmet liner" such as a Wick It. It keeps you cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Cycle gear has some nice ones also. Hot Leathers do also. You put your glasses on an then the liner. It covers the top half of the ears so when you put your helmet on your glasses stay put. I have been riding since the 70s and refused to wear them because they looked too Harley-ish or costume like, but now I wear one all the time.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=129945

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/helmet-liner/

hiflyer
12-21-2014, 11:26 AM
I wear tinted safety glasses that have a bifocal lense so I can read the dash and GPS easily. I buy about 4 pair at a time. I want to find a new 3/4 helmet that allows room for glasses. I don't care about a shield on the helmet. Can anyone recommend a helmet that works well with glasses?

Where do you buy those? Inquiring older farts want to know!

shooter
12-21-2014, 01:31 PM
The Shoei line of helmets are very glasses friendly. Not cheap but excellent protection.

zeus661
12-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Where do you buy those? Inquiring older farts want to know!

Just Google something like "safety sunglasses bifocals". You'll find places.

Texas TC
12-21-2014, 02:20 PM
When I wear a helmet, I, too, use HJC 3/4. I'm old school and use a snap on face shield. I have clear, tinted and half face shieds for my two HJC helmets. I have found these helmets to be good and are a good value. Like previously mentioned, they do run small so I have learned to buy a size larger than I would normally purchase in a helmet. I wear perscription glasses so it is imperative that my helmets accomodate my wearing them any time I ride.