PDA

View Full Version : Crash Course...

Steve 0080
12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
I normally don't like these but this ones adds a new thought....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

53driver
12-20-2014, 12:30 PM

Steve - what did you find new in this?

My perspective: the camouflage of a small, multi-colored object backgrounded by multi-colors is spot on. Never thought of it that way before.
New thought: maybe those GoldWing riders that dress to match their all-one-color bikes & helmets have already thought this out.....
Also, I use weaving whenever I feel it necessary, either to get "tail-gate-guy" off the chrome tip on my rear fender, or be seen at approaching intersections.
Thanks,
Steve

BIGLRY
12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
After over 64 years on the front, back and in the middle of a motorcycle(My mother was 6 month preg with me when she flipped my dad's H-D in 1950).
There are three rules I have ridden and followed all my life and have served me well in preventing any cages from doing me harm.

Rule 1: You and your motorcycle are invisible to all other vehicles on the road! Dress and ride accordingly.

Rule 2: Any cage driver who can see you is out to kill you!

Rule 3: Never forget rule #1!!!:301:

Steve 0080
12-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Steve - what did you find new in this?

My perspective: the camouflage of a small, multi-colored object backgrounded by multi-colors is spot on. Never thought of it that way before.
New thought: maybe those GoldWing riders that dress to match their all-one-color bikes & helmets have already thought this out.....
Also, I use weaving whenever I feel it necessary, either to get "tail-gate-guy" off the chrome tip on my rear fender, or be seen at approaching intersections.
Thanks,
Steve

Nothing for me as I prefaced this post with... I got the post from another board filled with haters and people for some reason love to kick another person/bike...which we do not do... the guy who posted the vid was being kicked around.. same group did not approve of additional lights !!!

53driver
12-20-2014, 10:28 PM
???

XHarley
12-20-2014, 10:30 PM
Nothing for me as I prefaced this post with... I got the post from another board filled with haters and people for some reason love to kick another person/bike...which we do not do... the guy who posted the vid was being kicked around.. same group did not approve of additional lights !!!

Steve,
Thanks for the video.

The video just reinforces the need to be seen and the addition of the LED fog lights on the front of the F6B a smart option. Run the fog lights even during the day to increase visibility.

X

bobbyf6b
12-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Well I thought it was a good video, I'm gonna to try that maneuver and see how it works. Thanks!

Steve 0080
12-21-2014, 08:57 AM
???

I am getting confused now... I meant that I don't care for videos that go over crashing...

53driver
12-21-2014, 09:34 AM
I am getting confused now... I meant that I don't care for videos that go over crashing...

When you posted the link, you wrote that you didn't like these sorts of videos, but that this one adds "a new thought."
I was wondering what your new thought was.....

Sorry to confuse you!

Pap
12-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks for posting this Steve.
I never gave it a thought to weave like he did when coming up to vehicles possibly pulling out from an intersection.

Fla_rider
12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Steve, Good video. I have actually used this several times when I see a car inching out. I also drive with my high beams during the day and may flash them also. It's all about anticipating the worse and being seen. 'riding'

53driver
12-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Steve, Good video. I have actually used this several times when I see a car inching out. I also drive with my high beams during the day and may flash them also. It's all about anticipating the worse and being seen. 'riding'

Some "unwritten state protocols" are that 'flashing your high beams is yielding the right of way."

I always thought that a high beam flash was an 'assertive move' - "meaning I am here and coming through."
However, locally in PA/MD/NJ, it seems, especially at 4 way Stops, a flash means "I am yielding - move your ass now."
YMMV.

ReserveBum
12-23-2014, 09:39 AM
+1 - Any info that might help save my ass is good info....I have been using a similar move to his "weave" for years. If I see a cager at a cross intersection, I try to do a little weave to get my headlight pointed right at their eyes.

Jeffsf6b
12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the great video Steve, I am always looking for riding tips.

DaWadd
12-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Good video. I do use the weave quite a bit at intersections. It does work quite well.

bobbyf6b
12-23-2014, 01:20 PM
The next day after watching that video I noticed a buddy of mine doing it. I asked him what he called it and he said "the waggle". :biggthumpup:

motoman
12-23-2014, 01:22 PM
My mother was 6 month preg with me when she flipped my dad's H-D in 1950.

So basically, you were dropped on your head before you were even born?

:crackup: :crackup:

BIGLRY
12-23-2014, 02:58 PM
So basically, you were dropped on your head before you were even born?

:crackup: :crackup:
:shhh: 'busted'

richw56
12-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Good clip.
I liked the tip and information about intentionally weaving when approaching a cage that might pull out.
Agree with 53driver - here in NY, as well, flashing beams is typically interpreted as an indication that you're going to yield to the other guy, making it dangerous to try if you're not intending to yield. Steady high beam during the day is helpful, though.

grendl
12-24-2014, 01:00 PM
One of my riding buddies informed me that he could not see me when he was in front. I started using my high beams and that cleared up, but made me think about visibility. So fog lights go next,thinking about HIDs a lot,but don't want to blind oncoming traffic or the vehicles in front of me. Those are bastards when they come up in my rear view or looking directly at them.Still I would be seen !
I think about car /car accidents - hell they run into each other and say the same thing "I didn't see you". So I plan an running escape route,never drink or alter my conscious when riding,stay alert and realize I am the Red Baron. EVERYTHING else is the enemy.:icon_twisted:

Primo
12-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you for sharing this Steve.

Knowledge is power but sometimes it's also safety.

Steve 0080
12-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks to all.... I have done this move for years w/o thinking about it, making sure I see the eyes of the driver I am approaching...this has served me well. The next time you are approaching someone at a T intersection give it a try...how will you know you should ??? That is the hair on the back of your neck standing up !!!!