PDA

View Full Version : How big of a deal is ABS?

er.medic
12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I sure wish ABS would have been an option her in the US when I bought my '14. I ride pretty conservatively, but still wish I had it. Should be envying those that have it, or just stop worrying about it?

Deer Slayer
12-21-2014, 03:16 PM
I sure wish ABS would have been an option her in the US when I bought my '14. I ride pretty conservatively, but still wish I had it. Should be envying those that have it, or just stop worrying about it?

Great for wet roads. After that it helps out after brakes are applied incorrectly. Just my two cents. Been ridding since 1957. :2cents: :cheers:'StNick"

opas ride
12-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Most of the motorcycle magazine testers feel the Honda linked-brake system works just fine and not a "must have" on the F6B. I have no issue with the brakes on mine...I rode a 900lb. Victory Vision Tour for over 3 years with ABS and did not notice any difference on it compared to the Honda...Some are really "hung-up" on ABS brakes and that is fine. Most newer bikes from several companies seem to have them, so some in the engineering camp must feel that they are the better way to go...It was obviously not a deal breaker for many of us on the board who have 2013/14 models without....I understand if one is a very aggressive rider and does a lot of twisties, etc. ABS is the way to go, although I cannot really say as I do not ride that hard.....JMHO

Sorcerer
12-21-2014, 03:55 PM
If you are counting on ABS to save your bacon, you are already a susstistic.

Texas TC
12-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Never had 'em and never wanted 'em in my 51 years of riding. I do love the linked brakes on my F6B. I rarely touch the foot brake even for panic stops.

F6B1911
12-21-2014, 04:40 PM
The last three bikes I rode did not have ABS, so for me it is no big deal on my 6.
Of course, my last three bikes also did not have reverse, cruise, heated grips, etc. but the 6 is still the best bike, by far, I have ever ridden.

opas ride
12-21-2014, 04:51 PM

What is a "susstistic" ??? Sure you don't mean a "statistic"....Regards.....

Ixol Phaane
12-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Great for wet roads. After that it helps out after brakes are applied incorrectly. Just my two cents. Been ridding since 1957. :2cents: :cheers:'StNick"

Never had 'em and never wanted 'em in my 51 years of riding. I do love the linked brakes on my F6B. I rarely touch the foot brake even for panic stops.

+1 (3?)

XKnight
12-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I would like for my F6B to have ABS and would gladly pay extra for it. It definitely helps significantly during panic stops on wet roads.

http://youtu.be/-Zv3Sacl7JQ

nox
12-21-2014, 05:25 PM
I have had ABS on my last 2 bikes and now on the F6B.

I have made a few panic stops and avoidance manoeuvres now for stray wildlife, and it's after you have done this a few times you appreciate ABS.

It has saved my bacon a couple of times especially when your only exit at 110kph is the gravel shoulder.

I love em.

chipmaker
12-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Its like insurance, you dont need it, until you need it.

Phantom
12-21-2014, 06:27 PM
:icon_cool::yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_UkAFW6cA#t=79

Cheesyryder
12-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Wish the F6B had it, ok with it tho'

1951vbs
12-21-2014, 07:11 PM
As evidenced in the aforementioned videos ABS is way better than separate front and rear brakes but the F6B has linked brakes that really work! Every time this subject comes up I ask the same question and so far no one has spoken up: Has anyone on this forum ever locked up a front or rear brake on their F6 and if so what were the conditions?

I only have 30,000 miles on my F6 so far but have had to haul it down quick on the freeway from 85 mph to stop a couple times. Never locked em up.

Pap
12-21-2014, 10:10 PM
I hit the back legs of a deer this fall. I grabbed a fist full of brakes and stood on the rear brake. I locked the rear up momentarily on dry pavement. The bike maintained a straight line of travel.no instability whatsoever. I have never owned a bike with ABS, so I can't make a judgement whether or not that would have made a difference. This bike has great brakes and my momentum had me up on the tank while braking hard! :pop:

cosborn
12-21-2014, 10:13 PM
I would have thought all the B's would have ABS.
Although you cannot get the Deluxe model of the F6B in Australia, all our standard models come with ABS and Dual CBS (Linked braking system).

Cheers

Chris

rumble-b
12-22-2014, 02:29 AM
There is a difference between Linked Brakes and ABS. Linked Brakes are obviously as described , with the front brake partially activating the rear and vice verse . ABS stops the brakes from locking up under extreme pressure and/or slippery or unstable surfaces. It will automatically ease up pressure to the brakes if the wheel locks up and then reapply. It does this in fractions of a second and much quicker than nearly all people can do manually. It feels like a pulse through the lever and pedal. On a standard brake system , if the front locks up, you need to release and then reapply the brakes. With ABS , you just keep squeezing.

Fla_rider
12-22-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't know guys, all I see in these videos is incorrect braking techniques on the non ABS bike. Once you discover your tires are locked up you would release and reapply. In the case, of these videos the guy is applying full force to lock up the tires and never releases the brakes. Good riders know how to apply braking even on wet roads. Most of us know from years of experience that appling varying force during the sequence of stopping is the key to preventing tire lock up.

Pap
12-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I don't know guys, all I see in these videos is incorrect braking techniques on the non ABS bike. Once you discover your tires are locked up you would release and reapply. In the case, of these videos the guy is applying full force to lock up the tires and never releases the brakes. Good riders know how to apply braking even on wet roads. Most of us know from years of experience that appling varying force during the sequence of stopping is the key to preventing tire lock up.

+1:yes:

Hornblower
12-22-2014, 10:46 AM

:agree: To me, ABS is most needed for riders that don't have the knowledge or experience to use brakes properly, especially in a panic stop situation. ABS is designed for someone to apply full braking without even thinking about modulating the brakes. Many experienced riders, and definitely those with racing experience, know how to use front and rear brakes and can do that without any panic whatsoever. In fact, I would venture to say that ABS could be detrimental to an experienced rider. I'll give you a personal example...driving my Ford Explorer with ABS years ago, I took an exit ramp following a lady driving a minivan. It had a yield at the end of the ramp. The lady stopped and so did I. As she started off, I started off too while glancing back to check oncoming traffic. There was no oncoming traffic but as I looked back forward the lady had stopped again for no known reason. I hit the brakes while attempting to modulate the brakes so as not to lock them up. I almost stopped in time but not quite. Of course, I was charged with the accident. Now, if I had remembered that I had ABS brakes, I possibly could have simply stomped on the brakes and stopped in time...maybe so, maybe not. For us "old school" guys, there is some re-learning to do when we go to ABS. I'm just sayin' :2cents:

hiflyer
12-22-2014, 10:59 AM
:agree: To me, ABS is most needed for riders that don't have the knowledge or experience to use brakes properly, especially in a panic stop situation. ABS is designed for someone to apply full braking without even thinking about modulating the brakes. Many experienced riders, and definitely those with racing experience, know how to use front and rear brakes and can do that without any panic whatsoever. In fact, I would venture to say that ABS could be detrimental to an experienced rider. I'll give you a personal example...driving my Ford Explorer with ABS years ago, I took an exit ramp following a lady driving a minivan. It had a yield at the end of the ramp. The lady stopped and so did I. As she started off, I started off too while glancing back to check oncoming traffic. There was no oncoming traffic but as I looked back forward the lady had stopped again for no known reason. I hit the brakes while attempting to modulate the brakes so as not to lock them up. I almost stopped in time but not quite. Of course, I was charged with the accident. Now, if I had remembered that I had ABS brakes, I possibly could have simply stomped on the brakes and stopped in time...maybe so, maybe not. For us "old school" guys, there is some re-learning to do when we go to ABS. I'm just sayin' :2cents:

You too? I topped a hill several years ago, on the interstate only to find traffic at a dead stop. I bounced off of an 18 wheeler. He looked in the rear view, waved and kept going. Not me, I crushed my radiator. All I remember is thinking, why won't my truck stop? All the while I could hear the ABS working. No thanks, don't want it, don't need it.

BBB
12-22-2014, 11:13 AM
I had ABS on my previous ride but I never experienced it kicked in in 4 years (58,000miles).

When I bought my '14 F6B, lack of ABS was NOT a big deal at all.....

I noticed on the video, the test rider just kept applying the full brake. even after he locked the wheels..... It's like the worst case scenario.

Don't get me wrong, I think ABS is a great insurance JUST IN CASE, but it didn't keep me away from buying my F6B just because it wasn't equipped with ABS.

Heck, none of the bikes I've owned (except for the last one) didn't have ABS....

motoman
12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
ABS is one of the greatest technological advances in transportation in the last 50 years.

The only reason Honda didn't include it was to save $$$. They could have at least offered it as an option.

They also could also have added it along with a switch to turn it off if you don't want to use it.

Even a lot of race bikes today have it, because it's so useful.

If you don't agree, I hope that chrome helps you with your next panic stop. :icon_rolleyes:

bigbird
12-22-2014, 05:10 PM
The only reason Honda didn't include it was to save $$$. :

I disagree.

Honda installs ABS as standard equipment on all F6B's sold in Canada, Australia, and Europe.
Why not the US?
Because the distributors in each region, in your case Honda USA, tell the factory what features they want included on their bikes for each regional market. American owners are more conservative and don't take well to new technology. Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

If owners bitch long and hard enough to their dealers, who in turn pass on those complaints to Honda USA, you will likely see ABS on the American F6B's in the future.

BTW, having had ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles since the early 2000's and having ABS on my last bike, I wouldn't want a vehicle without it.
Yes, the expert drivers out there can likely modulate their non-ABS brakes in a skid situation to avoid lockup and high siding, but for the vast majority of riders who do not possess racing skills and reaction times, myself included, ABS will save you from high siding in a panic braking situation.

GNW
12-22-2014, 05:34 PM
After reading all, and seeing the videos . . . . . . If and when I get a new scoot it will have ABS if offered. JUST SAY'IN, FOR THAT EMERGENCY SITUATION THAT COULD HAPPEN !

opas ride
12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
I disagree.

Honda installs ABS as standard equipment on all F6B's sold in Canada, Australia, and Europe.
Why not the US?
Because the distributors in each region, in your case Honda USA, tell the factory what features they want included on their bikes for each regional market. American owners are more conservative and don't take well to new technology. Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

If owners bitch long and hard enough to their dealers, who in turn pass on those complaints to Honda USA, you will likely see ABS on the American F6B's in the future.

BTW, having had ABS on my 4 wheeled vehicles since the early 2000's and having ABS on my last bike, I wouldn't want a vehicle without it.
Yes, the expert drivers out there can likely modulate their non-ABS brakes in a skid situation to avoid lockup and high siding, but for the vast majority of riders who do not possess racing skills and reaction times, myself included, ABS will save you from high siding in a panic braking situation.

If you can find an old issue of Crusier Magazine from Spring of 2013, I thru mine out, you will find that the "main" reason Honda did not include ABS on USA bound F6B's was to keep it at a definite "price point" below $20,000 or so...It had nothing do to with dealer or customer requests, but a factory ordered decision by Honda management to keep the price in line with what they intended to do...This was also the case with Cruise and reverse options...Yes I know the 2015 bike has changed, but so has the base prices...You will not see an F6B in the US with ABS, Cruise, Reverse, etc..anytime soon for $20,000......Ride safe

1951vbs
12-22-2014, 09:37 PM
So to recap....in all the accumulated miles of all the forum members only one momentarily locked up a rear brake??? If so the linked brakes work pretty darn good or we are all just experts or lucky souls!

Limoles
12-23-2014, 01:46 AM
I disagree.

Why not the US?

You might disagree with everything , but if we talking about safety , visibility is equally important . So , why US Goldwing riders don't get bikes equipped with wiper blades on the windshields , like it's mandatory in Japan ? F6B is the poorer version of GL1800 and its price has been adjusted for the favor of those , who simply do not need so many options .

fxdl2051
12-23-2014, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=bigbird;57170]I disagree.

Just ask HD about that. Did you know that F6B's in Europe come standard not only with ABS and cruise, but also the electric reverse?

My HD Streetglide had abs in 09 and there were a few times when it came in handy. Fish tailing a bagger is no fun, tho the system they used didn't work when the bike was leaned.
Brakes on the Honda, work much better than the SG, more progressive, smoother and controlable, no real comparison in that respect.

richw56
12-23-2014, 06:03 AM
So to recap....in all the accumulated miles of all the forum members only one momentarily locked up a rear brake??? If so the linked brakes work pretty darn good or we are all just experts or lucky souls!

Very interesting point. It doesn't seem that we're hearing from anyone who has had a problem as a result of locking up. We're not even hearing much of anyone locking up at all.
Maybe because it just doesn't happen too frequently anyway, in the great scheme of things?
Or maybe some of us don't like to admit to ever locking up?
Maybe it has something to do with the experience level of the average F6B rider? (I doubt that this is a first bike for too many people.)
Could the linked braking system possibly be so effective that it actually results in a very low likelihood of ever locking up?

DaWadd
12-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Mine has ABS and I have tested it out on numerous parking lot trials. Works good for those emergency stops if required. Never needed it so far on the open road (knock on wood). I think the linked braking system is sufficient for most of our needs.

bigbird
12-23-2014, 10:05 AM
You might disagree with everything

Not everything.
I agree that the F6B is one helluva' bike, ABS or not.

DMAGOLDRDR
12-23-2014, 11:27 AM
This is my first with a Linked Brake System. I found out the first time I came down my driveway and made the hard left onto the grass to swing around and line up for backing in my garage. Only using the rear brake for this maneuver as I always do I still felt the front slide out a bit. I had to change my approach but now I have to also think every time I ride up onto the steel deck of the Ferry.

I have braked my Valk (hard enough on front and rear) to the point of feeling the Front Wheel lock and a linked system will do nothing to help there, BUT ABS sure would.

I practice braking and use both brakes as needed, BUT don't care for the Linked system at all.

As always that just me. We all have different riding styles and needs.

Bowhunter1800
12-23-2014, 01:04 PM
I didn't have a radio on a bike till I got my first Goldwing. Now I cant see how I rode without it. I think it would be the same with the ABS. I never had it but if I ever do get a bike with it I will probably never go without. It has saved me a few times through the years in my truck.

Darren
12-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I dislike the linked brakes. I don't mind the front activating the rear, but hate the rear activating the front. Gravel driveways/roads, grass and slippery surfaces all become more dangerous with the linked brakes.

My bike has the ABS, to my knowledge I've never activated it during braking, so don't give it much thought. I did ride a BMW once with a very crude ABS system and it was very intrusive, cutting in early and vibrating the brake lever.

Limoles
12-24-2014, 01:37 AM
I dislike the linked brakes. I don't mind the front activating the rear, but hate the rear activating the front. Gravel driveways/roads, grass and slippery surfaces all become more dangerous with the linked brakes.

My bike has the ABS, to my knowledge I've never activated it during braking, so don't give it much thought. I did ride a BMW once with a very crude ABS system and it was very intrusive, cutting in early and vibrating the brake lever.

BMW invented ABS in late 70th . They were pioneers in most advanced ideas . I use to own and rode 7 different models of BMW's . All of them were equipped with ABS's . Never had any problems . Germans designed unique combination . Hand brake lever was linked to both wheels with servo assistance and was used for various and definitely more effective methods of stoppage , but rear foot brake had separate line and could be activated on curves , or slippery surfaces . In this point any BMW is sportier , more controllable and with skilled rider friskier in any condition . You experienced vibration related to bad brake pads or bent rotor(s) and that's the reason of impression noted above . Since I ride F6B , I've changed my habits and quickly learned to operate with more caution and decided to keep my rides that way .

red dog
12-25-2014, 02:30 AM
you can have the radio......I wanted abs ,but got tired of waiting for it .....linked brakes work real well,but I would much rather have abs,brake systems with out abs are dangerous and obsolete.....do your homework......

slather1
12-25-2014, 10:14 AM
you can have the radio......I wanted abs ,but got tired of waiting for it .....linked brakes work real well,but I would much rather have abs,brake systems with out abs are dangerous and obsolete.....do your homework......

I agree. Almost all cars have ABS and it makes more sense for 2 wheels than 4 wheels.

unsub
12-25-2014, 11:27 AM
BMW invented ABS in late 70th .

Hmmm..... The anti lock braking concept was developed early on on the last century, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't BMW. Why would Honda include this feature for some countries but not others? Strictly economics as others have said here already.

If ABS wasn't beneficial to the safety and well being of the rider or to put it another way, if it was likely to cause harm to the rider, regulatory bodies and the manufacturers wouldn't approve it or include it as a feature/option.

I've never met anyone that is such a skillful a rider (although many think they are) as to not need technology to help them out in a jam once in a while. lol...

yellow rex
12-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I have never had a motorcycle with ABS brakes but I was told by a trailer
maker the #1 cause of motorcycles pulling trailer accidents was the brakes
locked up, and ABS will prevent this, he had a list of names of riders I could
contact that had this happen to them, the subject came up because I am buying
a trailer from him and he wonted to know did my bike have ABS he did not know
it was a F6B.

Limoles
12-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Hmmm..... The anti lock braking concept was developed early on on the last century, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't BMW. Why would Honda include this feature for some countries but not others? Strictly economics as others have said here already.

If ABS wasn't beneficial to the safety and well being of the rider or to put it another way, if it was likely to cause harm to the rider, regulatory bodies and the manufacturers wouldn't approve it or include it as a feature/option.

I've never met anyone that is such a skillful a rider (although many think they are) as to not need technology to help them out in a jam once in a while. lol...

FIRST CONCEPT :
ABS was first developed for aircraft use in 1929 by the French automobile and aircraft pioneer Gabriel Voisin , but was very unreliable and couldn't be used in production of the cars , NOR MOTORCYCLES

ANTISKID ( which is not ABS ) :
By the early 1950s, the Dunlop Maxaret anti-skid system was in widespread aviation use in the UK, with aircraft such as the Avro Vulcan and Handley Page Victor, Vickers Viscount, Vickers Valiant, English Electric Lightning, de Havilland Comet 2c, de Havilland Sea Vixen, and later aircraft, such as the Vickers VC10, Hawker Siddeley Trident, Hawker Siddeley 125, Hawker Siddeley HS 748 and derived British Aerospace ATP. - STILL NOT MOTORCYCLES

FIRST CARS WITH ABS :
Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a computerized, three-channel, four-sensor all-wheel[7] ABS called "Sure Brake" for its 1971 Imperial.[8] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. In 1970, Ford added an antilock braking system called "Sure-track" to the rear wheels of Lincoln Continentals as an option;[9] it became standard in 1971.[10] In 1971, General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel only[11] ABS as an option on their rear-wheel drive Cadillac models[12][13] and the Oldsmobile Toronado.[14] In the same year, Nissan offered an EAL (Electro Anti-lock System) as an option on the Nissan President, which became Japan's first electronic ABS.

BMW PIONEERED ABS IN MOTORCYCLES FIRST :
After almost one decade of failures , in 1988, BMW fitted its new K 100 with Anti-lock Braking System, more commonly known in acronym form as ABS. In fact, the decision regarding the introduction of ABS had been taken much earlier. A lot of research had been done already, as development had started in the early 1980s. Finally the system was ready for production in 1988 and this signalled the start of a new era in motorcycle braking technology. Once again, BMW led the way in pioneering technology – and still does today. BMW Motorrad recently announced its entire 2013 model range would feature ABS.

1951vbs
12-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Has anyone locked up the linked brakes yet on their F6B?

unsub
12-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Has anyone locked up the linked brakes yet on their F6B?

I'd say no one in this discussion cares to answer your question.

53driver
12-25-2014, 09:49 PM
One gent said he locked up the rear tire.

I thought I applied more than enough pressure to lock up the tires, but they didn't. So much so I was wondering if I actually had ABS somehow. (I didn't know ABS was not in the US at the time.)
I have subsequently tried to lock up the rear wheel a few times "for training purposes" but the bike keeps stopping before that happens.

hiflyer
12-25-2014, 09:55 PM
I'd say no one in this discussion cares to answer your question.

I can tell you that it is possible to lock up the front wheel. In a situation where a car turned in front of me, I locked up the front wheel in an emergency stop to keep from hitting the car. I felt it start to wash out, released the brake and reapplied. I didn't hit the car or crash. Would ABS have kept it from skidding? Without a doubt. Would it have kept me from hitting the car while keeping me from skidding? I have my doubts. Do any of you practice emergency stops? I do, along with other maneuvers. No amount of automation can protect you if you don't protect yourself thru practice.

Pap
12-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Do any of you practice emergency stops?

I do, every once in a while. I also try to practice different scenarios on dirt roads to try to see what would happen under different circumstances.(without the wife, of course!)
When that deer ran in front of me, I braked as hard as I could. When I felt the rear lock up, I let off a little and gave her more again. This all happened in probably 2 seconds, but practicing trains you to respond in an instant. If I had ABS, I believe I would have been into her farther and might have had a different outcome.
Believe me, I was ON the tank from my body weight wanting to keep going. This bike stops VERY well ! .score10/10

53driver
12-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes. I do practice emergency stopping. And figure 8s. And forcing my inside elbow down in turns to get the most lean angle. And emergency swerving. And rapid acceleration with a quick stop, simulating getting out of someone's way if I'm stopped and they aren't going to get stopped in time.

Although now that hiflyer said he got the front to lock up, I need to get a bit more aggressive and find that point.

hiflyer
12-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Although now that hiflyer said he got the front to lock up, I need to get a bit more aggressive and find that point.

It's that point, within a millisecond, after the "OH SH##!!" moment.

53driver
12-26-2014, 09:25 AM
It's that point, within a millisecond, after the "OH SH##!!" moment.

...copy all. And replicating that moment in a training environment will not be easy.