PDA

View Full Version : Radio listening and helmets

zeus661
12-22-2014, 02:08 PM
I have not done any upgrades to the radio yet and was wearing a half helmet with earplugs. Listening to the radio seemed to work even at highway speeds. I also have the tall windshield with the vent.

I am going to switch to a 3/4 helmet and probably earplugs and I am wondering if I will be able to hear the radio with that setup.

Those of you who wear full face, modular, and 3/4 helmets, do you also wear earplugs? And how is it listening to the radio? With and without earplugs?

2bikemike
12-22-2014, 02:14 PM
I have the same windshield setup and my wife and I both wear fullface helmets with no earplugs and can hear it good.

BBB
12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
I have a Clearview Med w/ vent on my bike and I have no problem listening to the stereo even at 80+mph on freeways and I don't usually wear helmet.

On my previous bike (a Harley), I added an amp to the stock audio along with speaker upgrade.

When I got my F6, I was impressed with how it sounded stock. Now I'm thinking that it's because F6's exhaust is sooooooooo quiet compared to the Harley I had???
I guess I will find out when I put a set of slip ons.

Jimmytee
12-22-2014, 05:42 PM
I have a Clearview Med w/ vent on my bike and I have no problem listening to the stereo even at 80+mph on freeways and I don't usually wear helmet.

On my previous bike (a Harley), I added an amp to the stock audio along with speaker upgrade.

When I got my F6, I was impressed with how it sounded stock. Now I'm thinking that it's because F6's exhaust is sooooooooo quiet compared to the Harley I had???
I guess I will find out when I put a set of slip ons.

In the process now of upgrading the stock stereo. Changing the speakers to Polk Audio MM series component speakers and adding an amp. Will also be adding subs to the saddlebags.

RT59
12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
I have the Honda tall shield with vent and wear a Shoei modular Neotec helmet. Even with the face shield down I still have plenty of volume to listen to the radio or MP3 to my satisfaction - and I think it sounds great. I can't answer to what the nearby traffic may think of me.

Texas TC
12-22-2014, 08:47 PM
I bought an adapter that allows me to plug in regular ear buds to the multiple pin connector. I, unlike others, could not hear the radio as well when I donned my 3/4 helmet. I can hear the radio at any speed sans the helmet. I tried installing speakers in one of my helmets but did not like being tethered to the bike with that bulky cord.

1951vbs
12-22-2014, 09:22 PM
I bought an adapter that allows me to plug in regular ear buds to the multiple pin connector. I, unlike others, could not hear the radio as well when I donned my 3/4 helmet. I can hear the radio at any speed sans the helmet. I tried installing speakers in one of my helmets but did not like being tethered to the bike with that bulky cord.

I have the adapter as well and use JVC ear buds with full face helmet and stock height wind screen. No problem, great sound.

Fla_rider
12-23-2014, 07:37 AM
I have the Clearview Large shield with vent. I do not use earplugs. I use a modular HJC helmet. The audio is on Auto volume control and rarely do I have it above 14 volume setting. I usually have the helmet in the up position or the face shield cracked.

DaWadd
12-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Honda tall screen with vent and 3/4 Shoei RJ Platinum. No problem hearing the tunes. Have mine set so the auto-volume adjusts for speed also. I do wear ear plugs on long rides. I have various types of ear plugs with different NPR ratings and found if the rating is below 28 I find it to my liking. Once the rating is getting up in numbers it is too quiet. I like to be able to hear the traffic around me.