PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we riders argue and bicker about this?

Old Ryder
12-24-2014, 06:17 PM
What kind of helmet do you wear?

I find this amusing, since we debate, argue and fight over which is the best oil, the kind of tire that spins on the back, the oil filter, or which windshield has the best protection----ACTUALLY, the list goes on and on. What I find strange is that, for those of us who wear a helmet, nobody seems to give a rats rectum if it is a $40 no name flat black, non DOT piece of junk you got at bike week or it is a $700 Shoei or Nolan or anything else. For that piece of equipment, everybody seems to respect the opinion of EVERYBODY. There are very few conversations with in depth discussions on WHY you use the helmet you do. Since everybody on this board is concerned about EVERYBODY'S health and well being why don't we talk about it more? Heck Fire--I remember a thread about what boots you wear.

I bring this up because I just discovered the value that I see in a good quality helmet. I have a few Scorpions and Bells and HJC, but I recent got a deal on a like new but older Shoei just because I wanted a modular for cold weather. (I know somebody is going to say helmets should be replaced every 5 years--so let me say it before you do) To say I am impressed with the quality is an understatement. Super light weight, solid and the most comfortable piece of plastic/composite to place over my noggin. I wish I had known this years ago.

So here is the question for those who choose or are required to wear a brain bucket--- What brand and model do you use and more importantly is the question, WHY? If the reason is price, then that is fine too. I want to know what you are thinking.

bobbyf6b
12-24-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't have to wear one but I like to for protection and shade.

I have a Bell Pit Boss half helmet, a Bilt Roadster 3/4 helmet and a Scorpion Exo 500 full face helmet. Weather and mood are my deciding factors when I leave the house.

I like the Pit Boss for the adjustability and it has ear muffs for the cold. In an emergency the flip down eye protection is nice, but I usually wear sunglasses anyway.

I got the Bilt (Cycle Gear brand) 3/4 helmet for my daily commute. I like the way it looks and it offers more face protection for flying debris on the freeway. The mirror shield I added looks cool too.

I got the Scorpion Exo 500 because I thought it was a good bang for the buck helmet. It's great for cold/rainy weather, but I can't drink anything while riding so I don't wear it much. Oh, and it has skulls on it. :icon_cool:

I would love to get a Shoei Neotec in the future.

chipmaker
12-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Ive worn from the low end skid lid, to $700 Arai. Wear what you want. I am lucky enough to have the choice to not wear one at all also.

Retired Army
12-24-2014, 07:08 PM
The best helmet produced is the one allows the wearer to ride another day after surviving a crash. To serve a dual purpose I wear HI visibility yellow helmet. 'gw-smiley' Just look how visible a plane black bike shows with a yellow helmet.

Bowhunter1800
12-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I wear a Pit Boss half helmet also. Probably should wear a full face but I just can't seem to find a comfortable one.

DaWadd
12-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Mandatory here. I have a Shoei Qwest full face for the cold and rain or long distance. Very comfortable . For most of my other riding I have a Shoei RJ Platinum 3/4 that's my favorite. Also a half helmet for the real hot days. Cost should not be an issue for an important piece of safety gear.

reys13f6b
12-24-2014, 08:16 PM
I wear full faced. I own 3 of them. Being a former sportbike rider for 15 years, i swear by the full faced having personally witnessed the protection during unfortunate incidents that i was a personal witness to. This was in Texas where a helmet was not even required. Having said that though, since this is my first cruiser style bike, i have to admit looking into 3/4 since this style of riding is completely different than the way i rode my Hayabusa and zx10r. Here in NC, helmets are required, so i go for max protection.

XHarley
12-24-2014, 10:37 PM
HJC CL-17 matte black. First full face in a long time as I had been wearing 3/4 and half helmets in my Harley days but a full face just seems right on the F6B.

Looked and tried on many helmets and settled on this one as the fit was great, the price was super and it has the Snell M2010 rating. Added a pin shield and it doesn't fog.

The review on webbikeworld was excellent and this just made the decision easier.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/cl-17/review.htm

bigbird
12-24-2014, 11:24 PM
I've got 3 helmets that I wear.
For cold or inclement weather I've got a Schuberth C3 modular, in hi-viz. Superb quality, and for the price it better be.
For Spring and Fall, or cool summer evenings, it's a Shoei JCruise 3/4 in gloss black. Excellent quality, just a small notch behind the Schuberth.
For warm weather it's a Scorpion EXO-110 half helmet in white. Acceptable quality, nice and light, and still DOT approved.

As an aside, last summer a few of us rode down into N. Dakota, which has no helmet law. At the US/Canada border, we decided to ride helmetless, to see how it felt. We got off at the first interchange, only 1 mile from the border, and donned our helmets. Collectively, we felt naked and vulnerable.

zeus661
12-25-2014, 09:28 AM

My state doesn't require a helmet but I always wear one. This is from an accident I had in September. My left knee is still recovering. My F6B has been repaired and ready to roll when the knee is better.

Steve 0080
12-25-2014, 09:57 AM
I am a helmet whore... from $35 to $800...just depends on the weather or the distance on which one I wear if I even wear one...

Darren
12-25-2014, 12:09 PM
I have a Roof Desmo modular helmet

I would wear one even if not required, in the same way as I always wear my leathers.

shooter
12-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Old Ryder its like this. Too many restrictions. I don't believe in them . Shouldn't have to wear a seat belt or a helmet. Its your head , do what you want with it. I always wear a seat belt and only the best for my head. I only wear Shoei. These days a RF 1100 or most often a Neotec Modular. Gloss Black or Flat Black depending on my mood.

shooter
12-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I wear a Pit Boss half helmet also. Probably should wear a full face but I just can't seem to find a comfortable one.

If you get a chance try a Shoei. I can wear mine 20 hrs a day.

MotoPumps
12-25-2014, 01:20 PM
+1 on the Shoei comment. I have had helmets from HJC and Fulmer on up. Tried a Shoei and loved it for a number of years. Tried an Arai and I will never go back.

I think there are fewer discussions and arguments over helmets because everyone's head is a different shape, including ears that get pinched or don't stick out or don't fit in the opening or don't, etc. The choice of a helmet is a very personal thing.

Rob

F6B1911
12-25-2014, 02:13 PM
What kind of helmet do you wear?
So here is the question for those who choose or are required to wear a brain bucket--- What brand and model do you use and more importantly is the question, WHY? If the reason is price, then that is fine too. I want to know what you are thinking.

I'm afraid to discuss my helmet choice, due to the obscene price I paid for it. When I rode a BMW, I had an Schuberth Concept helmet (that's all the BMW dealer sold).
As I look back, although it was a huge investment at the time, it was well worth it as far as riding experience, it was without a doubt the quietest helmet I rode with.
When I picked up my very fast Black F6B, I just had to have a new helmet.
Right now there must be 5 helmets in my garage, and they've only been worn a couple of times each.
Yep, ended up back at a BMW dealer and got a new Schuberth helmet. And I was stunned that it cost double the previous Schuberth.
It was hard to swallow the price tag, but for quiet and comfort it beats the rest.
So if WHY? is the question, my answer is quiet and comfort.

53driver
12-25-2014, 10:07 PM
I had HJC, RF1100s and now a 1200.
My wife mentioned, in quiet passing, that if I get any uglier, she's leaving me, so full face it is.
I also cracked my HJC helmet with a rock kicked up by a truck on the I-5 on my 4th ride - ever. I thought I'd been shot (which in LA in the mid 90s was a definite possibility).
As I sat there on the side of the road looking at my helmet in disbelief, I knew if that had hit my face, I would not have been in an upright position.

SO...why full face? Scared straight.

Why Shoei? It fits better than anything else I have tried.
Why the RF-1200? In the words of Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School" - "It feels like an "A".

hiflyer
12-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Shoei Multitec for me. Other than the obvious reasons I wear "full face", is the comfort factor. No sunburn, no windburn, no rain issues. I can ride longer and be less tired with the old head and face covered. I wear a smoked screen in the daytime, and love the anonymous factor too.

shooter
12-25-2014, 10:45 PM
+1 on the Shoei comment. I have had helmets from HJC and Fulmer on up. Tried a Shoei and loved it for a number of years. Tried an Arai and I will never go back.

I think there are fewer discussions and arguments over helmets because everyone's head is a different shape, including ears that get pinched or don't stick out or don't fit in the opening or don't, etc. The choice of a helmet is a very personal thing.

Rob
That's it Rob. You have to find the brand that fits your head. Too many people try to put cost first. It should be the best you can afford that fits. Lots of good helmets out there for less than $200.

shooter
12-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Shoei Multitec for me. Other than the obvious reasons I wear "full face", is the comfort factor. No sunburn, no windburn, no rain issues. I can ride longer and be less tired with the old head and face covered. I wear a smoked screen in the daytime, and love the anonymous factor too.

Buddy you are spot on. That sunburn/wind burn thing is a big factor. I always wear a Joe Rocket full mesh coat in hot weather also. That sun in the summer can be brutal. The mesh is cooler than no coat and the sun burning you.

53driver
12-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Buddy you are spot on. That sunburn/wind burn thing is a big factor. I always wear a Joe Rocket full mesh coat in hot weather also. That sun in the summer can be brutal. The mesh is cooler than no coat and the sun burning you.

I am always in long sleeves and long pants - no sunburn here either.
I need to try a Multitec. I'd like to sip my water without removing my helmet.

You mentioned Joe Rocket - awesome. I picked up a fully armored JR jacket at a second hand store. Looked like it had been used 5 times. Fit me too well to turn it down, especially since it was below $50.
That is my primary jacket with my BMG top & bottom for touring and inclement weather. You don't dress for the weather, yo dress for the fall.

shooter
12-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Try the Neotec if you can afford it 53. Little bit better helmet and that internal sun shade is the cats azz. Yeah I'm with you I never feel overprotected. With a bad knee and three bulging discs I know if I go down its gonna be painful. I don't let it affect my riding style though.

53driver
12-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Try the Neotec if you can afford it 53. Little bit better helmet and that internal sun shade is the cats azz. Yeah I'm with you I never feel overprotected. With a bad knee and three bulging discs I know if I go down its gonna be painful. I don't let it affect my riding style though.

I'll give it a try on! Thanks.
I have two herniated discs. Knees are okay, but lower back is a mess. If I go down? I'm going to need all the armor there is.
However, like you, my riding style doesn't suffer either.

motozeke
12-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Full face, hands down. I've become partial to well-made modulars (i.e., Shoei and Schuberth). I personally witnessed a cheap-assed Bell modular open up on a guy in a 100 mph tank-slapper.

You get what you pay for.

F6Pilot
12-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Well, I started with a Fulmer, moved to a cheap half lid from Amazon to wear during warm season, and purchased a Nolan N103 with built in comms for cold weather and long rides. Replaced the Chinese half lid with a Bell Pit Boss and decided I needed to replace the Nolan as well. It never fit my head quite right so picked up a Shoei Neotec and wow, most comfortable fit for my head shape to date. Going to put the Nolan on the market soon.