PDA

View Full Version : Must have accessories?

zeus661
12-27-2014, 09:59 AM
I had my Valkyrie for 15 years and i think I added just about everything made for it. With my F6B I am thinking of not adding so much. So far I have added to tall Honda windshield, MP3 voltmeter, kuryakn highway pegs, Honda luggage rack, and saddlebag carpets.

So I am wondering what else I must have to make my riding more enjoyable.

BBB
12-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I thought I'd leave my F6 stock except for the windshied when I first picked it up at the dealership.

Well, that didn't last too long.... lol

I've added:
Breakaway Throttle lock (Good enough for me in place of Cruise control.... For now, that is...lol)
Clearview medium shield w/ vent.
Lowering kit (by Lowerwing Product)
Ride-off Center stand (so it's still easy to use it w/ the lowered rear. The rear tire didn't quite come off the ground but barely touching the ground: made it super difficult to get off the center stand, so I had to modify (welded a small piece of metal to now extend the shorter han stock center stand feet. Now it's perfect!)
Kury Ergo 2 highway pegs
National Cycle's wind deflectors (the ones that mounts under the mirrors: working GREAT!)
Rocky's risers. (I really like the grip positions now)
*Kury mini boards.
*Kury heel-tow shifter.
Cig lighter/ power outlet
Mustang seat.
Passenger Floorboars (off of a full wing, painted black, of course!)

*I replaced the mini boards n heel-toe shifter with Show Chrome's floor boards w/ heel-tow shifter recently (and I really like it)

BUT

I'm still in search of more comfortable riding position still...

I'm still thinking about:
1) Roadsmith's comfort controls (to move the floor boards/ shifter/ brake pedal further forward)
2) Helibars (to move the grips even higher than they are now with the risers)
3) MP3's luggage rack (so I'll have a place to mount a bag for over night trip)
4) MP3's Volt meter (Just because I think it looks cool. lol)
5) Rush Slip-ons (for looks and a bit more sound.)
6) Progressive rear suspension (1" shorter version: to lower additional 1": yeah, I have very short legs! lol)
7) -------- electric cruise control (w/ possibly the stock switch on the right side)

It's an addiction and the list will be updated constantly as long as I own the bike! lol

Good thing that there are not many PERFORMANCE UPGRADE item available unlike Harely engines.
F6B has good power/ torque in stock form, so I guess it's not really needed, but it would be always nice to have more power/ torque..... 130HP/130~150TQ would be really nice!

GiddyupF6B
12-27-2014, 11:25 AM
What's done:

*K&N Filter
*Muth mirrors w/ led signals
*Ergomot electric wind screen w/ switch
*Smoked turn signals
*Switchback led white running mirror lights
*Rivco Aero flip out highway pegs black
*Kury mini floor boards w/ 3/4 inch drop
*Torqmaster black ceramic exhaust w/ matching heat shields
*Hid headlights
*Zumo 660
*Key mod for glove box/gas cubby
*12 volt plug in cubby
*J&M speaker upgrade
*Blacked out all parts
*Powder coated brake foot lever
*Darth Hambly badge
*Saddlebag F6B luggage bags
*Saddlebag carpets
*Honda luggage rack
*Passenger backrest riser
*GI pro indicator
*Grip covers
*4 led's added to rear brake/running lights
*Omni cruise throttle lock
*Ultimate “King” seat
*Flat black “Stealth Bomber” custom paint
*Vanity plate
*Remote control saddlebag lights
*Super brace- fork brace
*Kury front turn signals (replaced reflectors)
*Black Chrome license plate holder
*Bike Mp3 960 cowl lights

To be done

*Rear speakers w/ amp
*Rear 12 volt plug
*Heli bars
*500 RGB led's w/ multi-function remote
*Tint windscreen

bigbird
12-27-2014, 11:51 AM
If those are all must have's, I'd better get a second........... and third job. :yikes:

XKnight
12-27-2014, 12:04 PM
The top accessories for me are:

-Helibars
-Kaoko Throttle Lock
-Vstream Windshield
-Mustang Seat
-Rivco Aero Pegs

I would install all these again if I were starting over. Choosing the right windshield was the biggest challenge that required 4 different shields before I got it just right. I'm actually done with accessories for now. I have spent much less on F6B accessories than on my previous Harleys. This is mainly due to the fact that the performance of the F6B is already fantastic in stock form so I didn't need to spend thousands to upgrade the motor. All the F6B accessories were to make the bike more comfortable.

opas ride
12-27-2014, 12:35 PM
I have a Baggershield, Cobra pipes, Mustang seat, Kuryakyn grips, Chrome Cubby cover, Custom painted Brandywine Candy Red, Chrome side stand, chrome key slot cover, chrome reseviour covers, assorted other chrome parts, K&N filter, Hambly badges, and I am done, done, done!!!

bigbird
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM
In thinking about the OP's question, I have a very different answer.

Most owners install accessories of some sort, and a lot of those accessories require disassembly of the bike, which goes far beyond the scope of the owner's manual.

Without a factory service manual, a lot of my accessories would be much more difficult to install. I could be putting both my bike and the accessories in peril if the bike were not disassembled and reassembled properly.

Even though I may never require more than 5% of the info in the FSM, it is probably my best "accessory" purchase.
My vote goes to the FSM as best accessory for me.

53driver
12-27-2014, 01:32 PM
In thinking about the OP's question, I have a very different answer.

Most owners install accessories of some sort, and a lot of those accessories require disassembly of the bike, which goes far beyond the scope of the owner's manual.

Without a factory service manual, a lot of my accessories would be much more difficult to install. I could be putting both my bike and the accessories in peril if the bike were not disassembled and reassembled properly.

Even though I may never require more than 5% of the info in the FSM, it is probably my best "accessory" purchase.
My vote goes to the FSM as best accessory for me.

+1. GREAT piece of gear - even if one doesn't actually do the maintenance, you can clearly tell what needs to be accomplished before you go to your mechanic. I'm not saying mechanics are not going to find excellent short cuts, the good ones usually have several, but at least the FSM reader knows the extent of the work to be done.

DaWadd
12-28-2014, 08:57 AM
If I'm going to narrow it down to "must have" accessories it has to be the windshield. I also put a Mustang seat on but don't think it's a "must have". Also agree that the service manual is a "must have".:yikes:

Spanky
12-28-2014, 11:17 AM
1. Baggershield windshield
2. Areo pegs
3. hambley badges
3. bikemp3 960 lights
4. Bluteooth audio module
5. 2 power points in cubby
the rest:
bikermp3 rear rack
k&n filter
go cruise
saddlebag liners
clip on cup holder
radio knobs turned into keys
rear turn signal kit http://wingstuff.com/products/33873-rear-turn-signal-conversion-kit?context=lights_electrical-f6b
smoke turn signal lenses (front)

seat mods by mean city :
utopia backrest
heated seat element

Christ that's alot... I think im missing some....

Steve 0080
12-28-2014, 12:05 PM
I can not/should not respond to this thread because I am an accessary whore...there I have said it, OK I admit it ...... where did I leave that last accessary catalog ???

edgeman55
12-28-2014, 02:26 PM
If I'm going to narrow it down to "must have" accessories it has to be the windshield. I also put a Mustang seat on but don't think it's a "must have". Also agree that the service manual is a "must have".:yikes:

:yes:I agree a better windshield is the only real must have right off the bat-the rest would be to fit the one who rides the bike.These are my add ons so far:

19" Baggershield with vent
Superbrace
Kury mini boards
MP3 960 lights
Centerstand
XM radio
MP3 rack
Brakeaway throttle lock
Honda marine voltmeter
Spec Tec tank grips
J&M speakers
Kury big foot for side stand

This spring I will get a Ultimate King saddle or ride to get a Day Long saddle made to fit.

Hornblower
12-28-2014, 03:37 PM
The OP's original thread subject is "must have accessories". Like many of you, I have a long list of accessories but the "must haves" list is fairly short which, for me, is:

Madstad windshield

Helibars

Ultimate Mid Rider seat (with rider backrest)

Traxxion Dynamics forks (with fork brace)

MP3 960 lower cowl lights

Whelen TIR3 brake light

Rivco Aero highway pegs

PepsX titanium pucks

Amipro
12-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Must haves:

Taller windshield
Throttle lock
FSM

Everything else is frosting on the cake (and boy do I like cake!!)

sshake1905
12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Must haves......1) taller windshield....no one is short enough to use the stock one...:shock:..2) more comfortable seat..:icon_biggrin:..depending on your inseam and arm length,3) handlebar risers... for a more comfort on long trips.:yes:...4) some type of driver backrest or support for long rides...:icon_biggrin:.

Must haves....if you plan to do your own maintenance/repair.....1) center stand....2) Official Honda service and Repair manual....HO61MCA63....if I remember right...:shrug:

Plus alot of accessories that are not "must haves", but develop that personal look....:yes:..Shaker

53driver
12-28-2014, 10:20 PM
2) Official Honda service and Repair manual....HO61MCA63....if I remember right...

That'd be it!

hoglaw
12-29-2014, 05:40 PM
The absolutely best money I have spent so far was the wind deflectors under the mirrors. I didn't believe they could make much of a difference...I was wrong. They are great, whether it's hot or cold. And, relative to other add-ons they are cheap.

Hornblower
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
The absolutely best money I have spent so far was the wind deflectors under the mirrors. I didn't believe they could make much of a difference...I was wrong. They are great, whether it's hot or cold. And, relative to other add-ons they are cheap.

You're so right :agree:! I should have added those to my earlier list.

opas ride
12-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Where does one purchase these things...I am interested in looking at them....Thanks

hiflyer
12-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Where does one purchase these things...I am interested in looking at them....Thanks

Baker Built Hand Wings are what I use. Best addition to any bike I've ever owned.

fxdl2051
12-30-2014, 05:02 AM
DVDs because I can't read a book while working out.
Keith Codes "Twist of the Wrist" will make you a better rider, no matter how good you already thought you were.
"Street Smarts" has some good advice if some what dated hair dos.
Jerry Paladino's "Ride Like A Pro" is excellent for low speed skills, no more parking lot foot crawling.

dkooris
11-07-2016, 05:13 PM
For me, it has to be hard wired heat controls for jacket liner and socks. We ride all year up here in New England.

Geoff

copper
11-07-2016, 10:07 PM
I had my Valkyrie for 15 years and i think I added just about everything made for it. With my F6B I am thinking of not adding so much. So far I have added to tall Honda windshield, MP3 voltmeter, kuryakn highway pegs, Honda luggage rack, and saddlebag carpets.

So I am wondering what else I must have to make my riding more enjoyable.

For more enjoyment, I would suggest a more comfortable seat, & add the JBL speaker upgrade.

Mine came with a taller windscreen (Madstad), a home grown version of the 'hand wings', half driver floorboards, passenger floorboards and a backrest & rack combo. Coming from an M109r, I have got used to the more neutral foot position, and the versatility of foot movement on the half boards suit me fine. I've added a few more items that might not appeal to you (aftermarket GPS, & SoCal driving lights), but I would not call them items that would make you ride "more enjoyable".

The one thing that I will be adding for comfort will be a Brakeaway throttle lock to give my right wrist a break on longer trips.

So there's my suggestions, in addition to what you have already: seat, speaker upgrade, & throttle lock.

Good luck with your own choices! :cheers:

C

terryboyle
11-08-2016, 06:19 PM
For me, it has to be hard wired heat controls for jacket liner and socks. We ride all year up here in New England.

Geoff

I'm north of you and want to extend my season. Any photos?