PDA

View Full Version : polished and coated GL rims...what years ??

sshake1905
12-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Would really appreciate anyone on the forum who could tell me....what year did Honda start putting the polished and coated aluminum wheels on their Goldwing models ???:shrug:

I have heard...seen...different dates....some 2010, others 2012 and/or 2013.:shrug:...anyone really know for sure which year came with the polished and coated wheels ?

Thanks for the help...notworthy.......Shaker

Limoles
12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Would really appreciate anyone on the forum who could tell me....what year did Honda start putting the polished and coated aluminum wheels on their Goldwing models ???:shrug:

I have heard...seen...different dates....some 2010, others 2012 and/or 2013.:shrug:...anyone really know for sure which year came with the polished and coated wheels ?

Thanks for the help...notworthy.......Shaker

2012 and up ...

sshake1905
12-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Limoles......Thanks for the speedy answer....Shaker:icon_biggrin:

Limoles
12-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Limoles......Thanks for the speedy answer....Shaker:icon_biggrin:

You welcome , but if you want to change appearance - powder coat them ( $100 each ). I've done it .
OEM polished rims are very expensive ( $350 -$500 per wheel ). Do not chrome ! Aluminum doesn't hold it well .

Phantom
12-27-2014, 11:52 PM
You welcome , but if you want to change appearance - powder coat them ( $100 each ). I've done it .
OEM polished rims are very expensive ( $350 -$500 per wheel ). Do not chrome ! Aluminum doesn't hold it well .

Powder coating is a good option, Chroming is also a good option if the chrome shop is a reputable one.

I have factory chrome aluminum wheels on my 2004 Honda Rune that still look like new. I recently purchased a set (not cheap) of GL1800 chromed rims from Honda of Russelville. They still look like new as well.

I will say that I personally have had a bad experience with aluminum wheels that were chromed by a "inexpensive" chromer. Yes the chrome flaked off in time. You get what you pay for. I agree with Limoles, Aluminum wheels are hard to chrome properly, you just have to find a good chromer. I've also had friends experience mixed results.

Some chromers take short cuts and others do it the proper way. They all claim to do a great job. After my bad experience, I was gun shy, so .... my most recent chrome rims came from Honda of Russelville, they have been using the same chrome shop for the last 7 years with 0 wheels ever coming back to the dealership.

There are after market Aluminum Chromed rims out there, we recently saw a black custom front wheel posted on the board. It looked like it was cut from a piece of aluminum Billet and then chromed. I would not discourage you from going to chrome, just be careful if you do. I admit ...... I'm a chromaholic :icon_mrgreen:

Limoles
12-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I am also chrome shiny look maniac and have 2004 "chrome version" of Rune as well . The point is , that OEM Honda Rune has rims , which price tag is $1,500 each . Why cost so much ? Well - The quality of solid and almost perfect chrome on them rely on unique process of plating . Firstly aluminum getting copper base , which electro plating technology is very expensive and usually dismissed by "cheap shops" performing "not so good" job , usually with temporary effects. Copper is bonding with aluminum much better , so for perfect results chrome can be applied on top of it , assuring outstanding quality . Unfortunately environmental restriction on such a shops adding cost effective investments and in many States this hazardous business simply vanish .

Phantom
12-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Limoles, hope that you are sitting down ....

If you bend a Rune chrome wheel today, the lowest price that I could find is $2,200 for the front and $2,300 for the rear. :yikes:

Federal requirement of parts for a discontinued vehicle (the Rune in this case) has expired (10 years since the last one came off the production line). Don't hold me to this but I believe that the last 2005 was produced in June, July or August of 2004. Remaining warehoused Rune parts have climbed in price the last 3-4 months.

Limoles
12-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Limoles, hope that you are sitting down ....

If you bend a Rune chrome wheel today, the lowest price that I could find is $2,200 for the front and $2,300 for the rear. :yikes:

Federal requirement of parts for a discontinued vehicle (the Rune in this case) has expired (10 years since the last one came off the production line). Don't hold me to this but I believe that the last 2005 was produced in June, July or August of 2004. Remaining warehoused Rune parts have climbed in price the last 3-4 months.

O Gods ! This is real MOTO-HORROR !!! I promise you to be nice to my Rune and avoid : potholes , gravel roads , construction sites , deers and any obstacles on the road . Fortunately this is just only my "show" bike , especially when I want to piss off any owner of "customized project" on 2 wheels . No - I'm not so shauvinistic , but ... This artistic marvel is so beautiful , that should stay at the center of my living room's turntable instead and fascinate anybodies eyes 24/7 . However riding her is heavenly pleasant , almost spiritual and I'm sure you agree with it ...

sshake1905
12-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Well....I am like you guys and have had good and bad chrome plating done for me over last several years....that is why I was interested to know exactly what year GLs have the polished and coated stock rims.....which would seem to be a bit easier to care for...versus the older stock GL wheels..from 2001 to 2010....but would still be stock looking wheels....

I don't really want the newer PSI monitor wheels...I know they can be replaced with old 90 SS value....but they are bigger bucks versus ...the older 06 - 09 wheel assembly....I think Partzilla price was about $ 312 for older A60 wheel (front) and about $ 533 for new 2013 (305) wheel assy with the PSI monitor set up and polished and coated....

I like the powdercoat idea, but I want keep the original F6B front wheel assy for later...to sell on the bike as stock or to sell outright....

Soooo....is that newer, polished and coated Honda front wheel assy worth the extra $ 200 -225 OR should I just get the older wheel assy and clean and care for it more often ??? :shrug: Shaker

Limoles
12-28-2014, 06:58 PM
In this point I'd suggest to buy new , polished 2012 & up wheel , install new tire and enjoy riding .... until you sell it .
Yes - it's worth it $200.00 . Cleaning raw aluminum is a bitch . The spare one , which you will have would be easy to re-sale .
Those are in constant demands . Forget monitor . For that , you would need separate system , which is installed only in the pure GW.

sshake1905
12-28-2014, 09:15 PM
Limoles.....Thanks again.....The plan is to go with the newer polished and coated front wheel assy when the front BS tire wears out....only have 4500 miles on it now

Do you know if the newer 2012+ front wheel assembly comes with the PSI monitor set up, or not ?
Seems like that is where much of that extra $ 200 would be....:shrug:

AND...if the newer front wheel comes with monitor value,,, can it be used in basic old gauge mode, or does the new monitor value need to be replaced with basic SS 90 degree value...like the one on my black stock rim now????:shrug:

OR...maybe either way will work fine? Don't know..:shrug:..just a bit of a newbee here....notworthy..Thanks Shaker

Limoles
12-29-2014, 12:08 AM
No - front wheel assembly might have both bearings and seals only and shouldn't be sold with any additional accessories or electronic devices . Look , monitoring tire pressure requires entire modern electronic circuit system , which is installed only in newest GWs already. Forget about it , because F6B doesn't come with such a system . You don't need to think about this at all . Despite of any wheel's external finish , all rims for GW have the same entry holes for valves - no exceptions . Mentioned PSI monitor is nothing , but the only part of that system added to the valve in newest GWs and in your project doesn't have anything to do with "possible mistake" . Simply buy new wheel , tire and the only 90 degree best quality valve stem ( up to $15.00 ! ) .Pump the air , following suggested by factory tire pressure and ride . Ones a while check the air pressure and inspect condition of the wheel .

sshake1905
12-29-2014, 01:55 AM
Great..:yes:..that is what I wanted to hear..:icon_biggrin:..don't have any interest in the new monitor stuff....I just want new wheel to be set up just like the 90 degree value stem on the stock F6 wheel.....

Again, thanks for advise and help..:yes:.Appreciated for sure...notworthy....Shaker

Limoles
12-29-2014, 10:53 AM
:rock:"3wheelSmiley"'all/right'

choptop
01-01-2015, 06:32 PM
So, I am also interested in the polished /coated wheels, if it says " off a 2012 GL1800 Goldwing. Tire and wheel have 0 miles. Fits GL1800 Goldwings 2001-2012" I can take for granted it is polished. Thanks in advance

choptop
01-01-2015, 06:41 PM
I just looked at a 01-14-Honda-GL1800-Goldwing-Front-Wheel-Rim-New-Chrome-SHOW-QUALITY, when I went down to the fitment guide it said it was NOT compatible w/the F6b.

Maybe because it is not a 2010 to 2014 rim ?

Limoles
01-01-2015, 07:54 PM
It might need the spacer(s) only , but all wheel dimensions are the same .

choptop
01-02-2015, 03:23 PM
One hand on the "buy it now" button but some thing is still holding me back from buying that 2012 Goldwing rear wheel and then find the front later. Help me push that button or pull me away. :icon_lol:

:yes:I love me some chrome:yes:

bigbird
01-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Help me push that button or pull me away. :icon_lol:

:yes:I love me some chrome:yes:

This may help to push.

I was told by the parts guy in charge of trike conversion at Russellville Honda in Russellville AR that any Goldwing GL1800 wheel including and after 2012 will fit any F6B.

Limoles
01-02-2015, 05:05 PM
... and we agree with you again ...

JackB
01-02-2015, 05:33 PM
A few weeks back a guy in Green Bay had a set of wheels off of a 2008 G.W. And a rear wheel off of a 2012 both with good tires. So I bought the 98 front and the 2012 rear with tires. I will strip and polish the front rim this winter. I think the black F6 will look great with the polished wheels. He still has the 08 rear.

choptop
01-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I think the black F6 will look great with the polished wheels. He still has the 08 rear.[/QUOTE]

I concur w/you, JackB I have looked at some chrome rims, that are a swap thing, send yours in...I have seen some were you can buy them out right. I am thinking the cheaper polished/coated for the barely seen back rim and a fancy smanshe chrome one for the front.

By the way JackB, what did you pay for the 2012 w/tire ?

Phantom
01-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I have a set of Silver powder coated rims, front and rear. If interested ..... make me a reasonable offer :icon_cool::yes:

Silver and Black is a nice combo

sshake1905
01-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Hey Phantom....do you have a photo or three, of the silver powder coated front and rear rims when they were mounted on your F6B ? would really like to see what they look like in place, the color/shade of silver and such....would appreciate it much...if you have time to post them ..:yes:..Thanks

Looking to go to polished and coated rims when this set of tires goes away....I have a 2013 Std black F6B....would like to see similar/difference in looks between powder coated vs polished and coated 2012 + wheels....:shrug:

Thanks again...notworthy....Shaker