PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Motorcycle trip from Pittburgh, Pa. to Freeport, Maine

Pap
12-28-2014, 09:19 AM
The wife and I are wanting to take a 10 day round trip to Freeport Maine to see some of her relatives. First relative will be in Syracuse, NY. I figure that will be day one of the trip. We drove up to the lower part of the Finger lakes 2 yrs ago and saw how beautiful the scenery is in that part of the state. We saw some water falls while riding around one of the lakes there. I never knew there were falls around the lakes. Very nice surprise! From Syracuse on I have no idea as to what roads to take to head toward Freeport. I would like any and all suggestions of places to see, ride to and, of course places to eat. I guess lodging is also something to look for as well.
I would appreciate any help in planning our route. Meeting with any fellow riders along the way would always be a welcomed bonus.
Thanks in advance!
Pap

Spanky
12-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm from Syracuse, so some highlights you should see: Hides of liverpool for lunch, a hotdog place, then make your way to oneida lake, working your way to the east, there is some great riding out there, curvy roads, make your way through manlius, a historic old town, and end up at dinosaur bbq for dinner. end up at the big mall for some shopping. here is a neat route map that should take you the afternoon.
https://goo.gl/maps/Clj8G

Pap
12-28-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm from Syracuse, so some highlights you should see: Hides of liverpool for lunch, a hotdog place, then make your way to oneida lake, working your way to the east, there is some great riding out there, curvy roads, make your way through manlius, a historic old town, and end up at dinosaur bbq for dinner. end up at the big mall for some shopping. here is a neat route map that should take you the afternoon.

Awesome! Thanks! :yes:

valkmc
12-28-2014, 06:06 PM

Yes to Heid's best hotdog you may ever eat and Yes to Dionosuar BBQ. When you leave Syracuse go west and find route 30 (Adirondack Trial) It runs from The NY Thruway to the Canadian Border. You can pick it up by picking up rte 365 to rte 8 ( I think, I haven't been there in a few years). Anyway both 8 and 30 are two lane country blacktop up and down the mountians, very scenic, no traffic and many nicely spaced little towns to stop in.

ReserveBum
12-28-2014, 10:55 PM
+1 - This is one of the best rides I have ridden.......its definitely not the short way. Beautiful scenery, some good roads with nice twists.

30N to Tupper Lake then 3N to Saranac Lake (stop at tail O The Pup), then 86 east to Lake Placid. Then 73 east to 9N south to go over the bridge on the southern end of Lake Champlain to VT. RT 125 east take you through Middlebury and across the mountain.
I'll let someone closer to that end of your trip make further suggestions...there are many!

2bikemike
12-29-2014, 01:29 PM
keep me posted to date you will be in Syracuse. I am in watertown an hour north and would be interested in meeting up and possibly riding some miles.

Pap
12-29-2014, 05:34 PM
keep me posted to date you will be in Syracuse. I am in watertown an hour north and would be interested in meeting up and possibly riding some miles.

You got it!
We are starting to work on the route using Google Maps. Does anyone know how I can post it on here while we work on the route and plan the stops?

Limoles
01-01-2015, 12:58 PM
I travel to Toronto , Ont. area many times a year . Coming from flats of South N.J. , intentionally I'm choosing secondary and ( happened to be ) beautiful scenery pictures of PA and NY States . Avoiding major highways , each time I'm taking different roads , still amazed of gorgerus surprises awaiting for me . I have no recommendations , but if you looking for adventures and best memories , just ride slow and enjoy gifts of Mather Nature . On the way to N-E ( and back ) will be plenty of them ... New England has many historic places , so if you study their locations before your attempted trip , it could be your best traveling ever .