PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars or helmet?

Pap
12-28-2014, 08:57 PM
I would like your opinions on this. I keep getting the low neck/ high middle shoulder pain when riding for a few hrs.
I'm thinking it might help to get a lighter helmet (cheapest way out) or Helibars to bring back the grips(most expensive way)
When I ride I seem to straighten my arms and "shrug" my shoulders a bit.
If I bring the bars back, my thoughts are that I might be less inclined to do this.
What is your experience with this?
What do you think would help?
Thanks, oh wise men !!:bowdown:

53driver
12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Or? depending upon your inseam....get a seat that moves you forward a bit....

Pap
12-28-2014, 09:05 PM
Or? depending upon your inseam....get a seat that moves you forward a bit....

I just got an Ultimate seat this summer. It works well for me, so I am looking for other "fixes". I think a shorter seat would make my legs feel cramped.

53driver
12-28-2014, 09:44 PM
I just got an Ultimate seat this summer. It works well for me, so I am looking for other "fixes". I think a shorter seat would make my legs feel cramped.

The Ultimate puts your tush in a nice bucket - I got to try one in October, so the OEM seat variable of "where to put your tush" isn't a factor.

Sit on the bike, back straight, comfortable position, hands on your thighs. Close you eyes and raise your hands to where you think the grips should be......
Then look for risers or helibars....:icon_mrgreen:

Pap
12-28-2014, 09:53 PM
The Ultimate puts your tush in a nice bucket - I got to try one in October, so the OEM seat variable of "where to put your tush" isn't a factor.

Sit on the bike, back straight, comfortable position, hands on your thighs. Close you eyes and raise your hands to where you think the grips should be......
Then look for risers or helibars....:icon_mrgreen:

Well, that would probably solidify the "need" for Helibars. :yes:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Risers cured this for me Pap. A back rest also made me comfortable, as well.
My offer on the MBL Wide, still stands. If you don't like em, send em back.
Steelers looking pretty good tonight..
Jim

Jimmytee
12-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Well, this seems to be a familiar circumstance. I have 2 bikes, same helmet, so the helmet was never a consideration. Plus it is a half helmet. I tried tried the riser route, but surely much more than 100 miles and I would start to have the pain you describe. It was awful. Would last several days sometimes. I bought the Helibars, and no more pain. That's it. For me, I think it had more to do with the grip angle than anything. The Helibars allow you to change this. I believe that while riding with the stock bars, the muscles in my neck and upper back were constantly tensed up causing the pain. Sort of like when you exercise new muscles.

53driver
12-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Well, that would probably solidify the "need" for Helibars. :yes:

Proper ergonomics. Makes the pain go away.

Pap
12-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Risers cured this for me Pap. A back rest also made me comfortable, as well.
My offer on the MBL Wide, still stands. If you don't like em, send em back.
Steelers looking pretty good tonight..
Jim

Appreciate the offer Jim. I'm thinking I need the bars more narrower than wide though.
The Steelers can win this IF they don't give it away.

opas ride
12-29-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't know about the helmet thing, but I doubt that will have any effect...I went with a Mustang seat and some of my neck/shoulder issues went away as it is about 1"lower than stock and seems to change the handlebar reach a little...Planning on adding the Kuryakyn risers in the spring to see how they work....I do not ride for very long distances these days so instead of spending money on "stuff" I just stop and stretch for a few minutes and all is well.....Good Luck

BIGLRY
12-29-2014, 12:25 PM
I bought the Helibars, and no more pain. That's it. For me, I think it had more to do with the grip angle than anything. The Helibars allow you to change this. I believe that while riding with the stock bars, the muscles in my neck and upper back were constantly tensed up causing the pain. Sort of like when you exercise new muscles.I agree 100% as I had the same issues and resolved them with the HeliBars.

Pap
12-29-2014, 12:53 PM
I agree 100% as I had the same issues and resolved them with the HeliBars.

So, just curious, what is your position of the bars now? I'm thinking I need them closer to me, but no wider or higher.

Navvet
12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
I had the same problem, especially the "hunching down" feeling. I added a backrest and the pain went away .....

Just my 2 cents ...

Pap
12-29-2014, 05:31 PM
I had the same problem, especially the "hunching down" feeling. I added a backrest and the pain went away .....

Just my 2 cents ...

I have a backrest on the Ultimate seat. I think I'm just reaching too far forward for the handlebars. But thanks for the 2 cents :yes:

bobbyf6b
12-30-2014, 01:52 AM
I had the same problem and brought the bars up and back (Kuryakyn kit) but then the pain moved to my tail bone. I moved it back to stock and then moved them up 3/4 inch with just the Kury wedges and it's been fine ever since. Much better than before in the stock location. I want to add a backrest soon though to help keep me from slouching.