PDA

View Full Version : Happy Campers - list your great camping locations...

Drive Jehu
12-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Where have you camped that was great? List them so I can ride there.

Just back from a 2,300 mile run that included the FL Keys. I'm happy to have a December sunburn! The Keys water temps were 71. Day air temps in the low 80s, night temps low 70's. She rolled 19,000 wonderful miles this morning on the way home as I passed through Amelia Island.

From my 5 nights camping in different FL locations here are 3, I recommend.

:yes: Ocala North RV Park in FL. http://www.ocalanorthrv.com/. It was great because it was $15 and I'm cheap. Clean bathroom, hot shower, community hall and no one was fussy about me sleeping by my bike in a wooded area (away from the lights) not marked for tents.

:yes: Big Pine Key FL, Bahia Honda State Park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/ $36 per night, a shower is shown on their map. I did not stay here, the catch is reservations are needed 11 months in advance. But Wow this place is beautiful! I spent part of a day walking on the beach and swimming. I hate making reservations but in this case I'm thinking about it. Beware the park is packed out this time of the year, it took 20 minutes to get in the gate.

A general note about the Keys this time of year - plan your trip well or it may lead to adventure sleeping. The Keys are over crowded, traffic is awful after 10am and I think I'll go back if at all possible next year.

:yes: Melbourne Beach FL, Long Point (County) Park, http://www.brevardcounty.us/ParksRecreation/Campgrounds/LongPoint/Home
$31 per night, hot shower and a tent site on the water. When I rolled in 30 min before dark with my butt dragging I was greeted with a "NO VACANCY" sign. No one was around so I waited. The manager soon returned, he smiled and he said he would be glad to work me in. Happy day! The Indian River must be 2 miles across there and what a great view with my tent pitched 15' from the water. The water was a little cooler than the Keys but I did swim with the dolphins...well sort of. I swam, and they swam 30' away. I'm told I also swam with the gators. Free public beaches are located within 2 miles of this camp.

Now I hope to hear about your great camping locations.

Happy New Year!

choptop
12-31-2014, 08:37 PM
:yes:

Steve 0080
01-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Two of my fav's...

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/CultureParks/Parks.aspx?m=dtlvw&d=29#.VKTbwFqhh70

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34517-d130219-Reviews-Tomoka_State_Park-Ormond_Beach_Florida.html

red dog
01-01-2015, 01:22 AM
2015 red wood run piercy California,june 12 thru 15 .you must order tickets in advance.arive early for best camp site.best route to take is .....start on highway 1 from morrow bay head north along big sur coast. camp in big sur for one night, from there head north to golden gate bridge ,from golden gate bridge get back on high way 1, take highway1 north to Leggett, from there take highway 101 to piercy .....follow high way 1 as much as possible when travelling through central an northern California for some of the best scenery in the country........take youre time .there are camp grounds and hotels along the way....plan to camp three or four nights between morrow bay and peircy in order to keep from being rushed.....e mail me for greater detail,or further info.......this is a good ride even if your not going to the event.......the best time to ride California is spring,or fall....hope to hear from some of you f6b riders.."the road goes on forever"..........later red dog.......

coffee_weasle
01-01-2015, 01:53 PM

found these camp sites along the colorado river

go south through Moab UT, turn at the mcdonalds, head west out of town along kane creek blvd

as i recall it was $10 (state site)

NCF6B
01-01-2015, 03:31 PM
This may not be relevant but here goes. My wife and I camp on a regular basis and use our bikes as transportation. Here are a few of the great places we've stayed.
Koa Cherokee NC. Great place easy access to downtown Cherokee, Blue Ridge parkway and others.
KOA, Kissimmee Fla. Excellent facilities, great access to Disney World, and local shopping and country rides. 100 campsites all paved sites and Roads.
Nova Campground, Port Orange Fla. great place, easy access to Daytona Beach.
KOA Myrtle Beach SC. Great old campground, Good facilities. easy access to all of Myrtle Beach.
American Heritage Campground Williamsburg Va.
There are many others too numerous to mention.
Plan to tour the west this year!
Great way to see the country. Good luck, enjoy

Drive Jehu
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
NCF6B, All locations are relevant. Thanks for posting. The last time I camped in Cherokee it was right behind a burger joint, maybe Burger King. The Parkway run is a favorite for me. I noted KOA.

My summer goal is to camp under the Redwoods. Not sure where yet. The June fun run mentioned earlier won't work for my schedule but the good news is red dog just offered to be a Cal resource.

Moab Utah? Maybe. Nice picture coffee weasel. Going out west this time Montana is a priority State.

Keep em coming.

NCF6B
01-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks, you'd be pleased with the Cherokee KOA. Located on the reservation with some of the best stream trout fishing anywhere!

fl1madmax
01-07-2015, 01:37 PM
This may not be relevant but here goes. My wife and I camp on a regular basis and use our bikes as transportation. Here are a few of the great places we've stayed.
Koa Cherokee NC. Great place easy access to downtown Cherokee, Blue Ridge parkway and others.
KOA, Kissimmee Fla. Excellent facilities, great access to Disney World, and local shopping and country rides. 100 campsites all paved sites and Roads.
Nova Campground, Port Orange Fla. great place, easy access to Daytona Beach.
KOA Myrtle Beach SC. Great old campground, Good facilities. easy access to all of Myrtle Beach.
American Heritage Campground Williamsburg Va.
There are many others too numerous to mention.
Plan to tour the west this year!
Great way to see the country. Good luck, enjoy

beautiful place, clean, quiet, fire pits ,streams ,water falls, and some of the best riding for 250 mile's around !
I like it so much I bought a place near it, now its 6 months in the summer there and 6 months in the winter in Melbourne Florida.

Deer Slayer
01-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Sure would be nice to have all this information by state. Hum?:cheers:

Drive Jehu
01-07-2015, 07:42 PM
"Sure would be nice to have all this information by state. Hum? "

Deer Slayer, Yes it would. Now how to best store the data in my iphone 5S. In my contacts by state with addresses? In my "notes"?
Other?

I tend to ride until evening, then using Siri inquire about campsites. Within an hour or two this results in a camp site...most of the time.

If your Great Camp Sites were in my "contacts" I can see myself stopping for tea. (Early afternoon it's time for roadside hot tea and peanuts... "the snack of champions.") and using my map app, planning a route to one of the great campsites.

Thoughts?

Ridlikhel
01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Porcupine Mountains: Michigan in the upper peninsula, along lake superior..Great look at the 2 mile long lake called Lake of the Clouds, from the parking lot observation point. Camping in the hills with permit only.

Glacier Nat. Park: Montana. If you want to see mountain goats, rams and watch bald eagles catch fish from a lake, this is your place.

Banff and Jasper Nat. Parks: British Columbia. Maybe the best ride you can take in North America. Water falls, Moose and wolverines are some of the animals that came to my camp sites there.

Mount Rainier: Washington. High climbs and beautiful lower hikes.

The whole West coast has sites along the whole way.

Yellowstone
Grand Tetons
Grand Canyon

All of these have been great sites for me.

Cheesyryder
01-07-2015, 08:40 PM
The Porkies Rock

Deer Slayer
01-07-2015, 09:29 PM
"Sure would be nice to have all this information by state. Hum? "

Deer Slayer, Yes it would. Now how to best store the data in my iphone 5S. In my contacts by state with addresses? In my "notes"?
Other?

I tend to ride until evening, then using Siri inquire about campsites. Within an hour or two this results in a camp site...most of the time.

If your Great Camp Sites were in my "contacts" I can see myself stopping for tea. (Early afternoon it's time for roadside hot tea and peanuts... "the snack of champions.") and using my map app, planning a route to one of the great campsites.

Thoughts?

Flip-phone! Lol, however has great photos. Thanks...:cheers:

hoglaw
01-08-2015, 08:24 AM
KOA south in Savannah, Ga. Right on a lake, beautiful campsites and lots of water fowls on the lake.

If you're military or retired you can't beat the campgrounds on military bases. Dirt cheap...$10-15 with full hookups. Camp Blanding, Fl, is a great place to camp, but gets really crowded on the weekends in the summer.

valkmc
01-08-2015, 12:43 PM

1)Eminence Mo, $7 for the night Great little town to stop in on my way out west.

2) Cape Lookout Oregon State Park, great view and very bike friendly.

3) Not really a campground but where I camped on the deck of the Ferry from Alaska to Washington-great time everyone in a tent was on a motorcycle. Lots of story telling.

4) I also use KOAs a lot, the one in New Orleans and in San Antonio bring back fond memories. Both have great facilities and are motorcycle friendly.

tmac99
01-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Pretty much any of the state owned and run campgrounds in South Carolina. We have been to a handful of them and they are all the same - very clean, good facilities, and always deserted. There is a huge variety, all the way from beachfront to mountains in the upstate area. I thoroughly recommend any of them.

six2go
01-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Unfortunately I have never camped while on a motorcycle trip, but when I was a youngster back in the mid 50's I always wanted to do a long trip and camp wherever I could find a place along the road. My fantasy was to ride until dark then pull off the road behind a roadside billboard or down a farmer's lane and set up a small camp until dawn & then be off again for more adventures. Well, it never happened and the way the years have flown by and with the changes in the landscape, never will.

Drive Jehu
01-08-2015, 06:31 PM
So, as you list your great camping locations I'm now listing most in my phone under "contacts".

Montana
Eminence
$7 Camping

and so on.