PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Tracking Devices

fxdl2051
01-08-2015, 02:46 AM
Does anyone have any experience with vehicle tracking devices. Given the expense of these bikes, I was thinking of adding a GPS based tracking unit, as "just in case" insurance. Way cheaper than Lojacks. Anyone have one? I've never had much luck with bike alarms though that may be subject of another thread.

F6B1911
01-08-2015, 07:11 AM
Did you take a look at the list of "least stolen motorcycles?"
One of the major insurance companies has a list somewhere on the web I read not too long ago.
The Goldwing is tops on the list.
They stated that it would take three people to heist a wing due to the weight, as well as it's not going to fit into an Econoline.

According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau....
https://rideapart.com/articles/10-new-motorcycles-wont-ever-get-stolen

Steve 0080
01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Yea, do you know anyone who has had a bike stolen? Although there are many stolen, I feel it is kind of like identity theft, just another issue the media loves to push... Now if you have a Honda Civic, or a rocket, you may need more insurance...

Navvet
01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Ok, First: Steve 0080 - I have had several bikes stolen. based on my limited knowlage, If it is not recovered in the first hour ... it is gone.

Next: fxdl2051 - I looked into this extensivly, mainly for my wife's shadow (much easier to steal). The only reasonable system I could see when comparing up front cost with monthly maintenance was the Scorpio "Ride" system. The only problem I had with it is the coverage. The use T-Mobile for the tracking and coverage is spotty in places.

Rather than tracking, I went with the Scorpio alarm systems for the alarm system with proximity detector and ignition cutout. These seem to work well with both of our bikes, especially the proximity detector.

Steve 0080
01-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Ok, First: Steve 0080 - I have had several bikes stolen. based on my limited knowlage, If it is not recovered in the first hour ... it is gone.

Next: fxdl2051 - I looked into this extensivly, mainly for my wife's shadow (much easier to steal). The only reasonable system I could see when comparing up front cost with monthly maintenance was the Scorpio "Ride" system. The only problem I had with it is the coverage. The use T-Mobile for the tracking and coverage is spotty in places.

Rather than tracking, I went with the Scorpio alarm systems for the alarm system with proximity detector and ignition cutout. These seem to work well with both of our bikes, especially the proximity detector.

WOW!!!!!! You must have a dark cloud over your head...I have never heard of anyone having multiple anything stolen.....

Memphian
01-08-2015, 10:11 PM
I checked into getting a tracking system but for a different reason. When ever I go on a long trip my two daughters worry about where I am and I have to check in letting them im ok. Strange how that situation has changed now that they are grown. Well anywho im looking at a phone app that they can see where Im riding.
Ive never had a bike stolen and I guess Ive never realy thought about a locator for that reason but with todays technology you would think there would be a lot of products to choose from. Good luck finding what you need.

Phantom
01-08-2015, 10:28 PM
WOW!!!!!! You must have a dark cloud over your head...I have never heard of anyone having multiple anything stolen.....

Are you sure ????? :tissue:

Steve 0080
01-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately many have been the victim of theft, I have had a trailer stolen, you, had a pot full stolen...my only point is/was that normally it is a one time occurrence ...if you have had many of anything stolen, you need to look at who you are running with or change a lot of things...just saying

Besides I was not trying to bring "that" up...

And I still think all these devices are a waste of money... have insurance and start picking out the new one ...

Navvet
01-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Steve - Unfortunately, after 40+ years of riding all over this world (6 of the 7 continents), we can end up in some interesting places ..... It's not a matter of trusting the folks you run with (I had a tendency to trust them with my life .... literally ...) It's just a matter of sometime ending up in interesting places ..... I have had things taken in the best of places ... and I also live in Wales for a while ...

OK, I am off my soapbox for a while now.

As far as the alarms go, my wife loves the proximity alarm. No one can get near her "soft" saddle bags without it warning them away...:yikes:

opas ride
01-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Curious as to how many is "several" bikes stolen...I know of a couple guys that have had a bike stolen, or a car, etc., actually have never heard of someone with more than one item stolen...Just curious.....I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I have been riding and driving for 60 years and never had any vehicles/bikes stolen...Ride safe

Elroy
01-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I checked into getting a tracking system but for a different reason. When ever I go on a long trip my two daughters worry about where I am and I have to check in letting them im ok. Strange how that situation has changed now that they are grown. Well anywho im looking at a phone app that they can see where Im riding.
Ive never had a bike stolen and I guess Ive never realy thought about a locator for that reason but with todays technology you would think there would be a lot of products to choose from. Good luck finding what you need.

Memphian, look into the app EatSleepRide, I love it. Tracks your rides better than any app I've had and you can also search for ride routes near your location. It even tracks and records your lean angles! Don't ask me how it does it, I have no idea.

But if you're daughters were to get the app as well, you can all join a "ride group" together and it continuously shows each persons location in real-time. Another neat feature it has is called CrashLight. Somehow, if the app is running (which it would be if you're recording your ride), the app can detect a crash and immediately alert your preset contacts of your crash and your location (your daughters do not need the app to be alerted). The developer claims the app can distinguish the difference between the phone being dropped, your bike hitting a bump, etc, and a real crash. Maybe its determined by a great deceleration of speed and halted movement, I don't know, I'm not going to test it out.

In fact after typing all this out, I'd recommend the app to all our fellow riders. Anyone who does get the app, feel free to add me as rider, same handle for the app: Elroy

Edit: I looked up the CrashLight info on my app, $9.99/year. See attached photo for more info

stepbill
01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
I heard about this through the dealership where I purchased my bike. They install them

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57335/i/kryptonite-realtime-gps-based-security-and-locating-system

You can get it from Amazon for $299.95.

Rich205
01-09-2015, 06:51 PM
I did a search on amazon but didn't find it do you have a link for the $299.00 price

Memphian
01-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Memphian, look into the app EatSleepRide, I love it. Tracks your rides better than any app I've had and you can also search for ride routes near your location. It even tracks and records your lean angles! Don't ask me how it does it, I have no idea.

But if you're daughters were to get the app as well, you can all join a "ride group" together and it continuously shows each persons location in real-time. Another neat feature it has is called CrashLight. Somehow, if the app is running (which it would be if you're recording your ride), the app can detect a crash and immediately alert your preset contacts of your crash and your location (your daughters do not need the app to be alerted). The developer claims the app can distinguish the difference between the phone being dropped, your bike hitting a bump, etc, and a real crash. Maybe its determined by a great deceleration of speed and halted movement, I don't know, I'm not going to test it out.

In fact after typing all this out, I'd recommend the app to all our fellow riders. Anyone who does get the app, feel free to add me as rider, same handle for the app: Elroy

Edit: I looked up the CrashLight info on my app, $9.99/year. See attached photo for more info

Thanks Elroy sounds like a good app. I'm going to look into it.

stepbill
01-09-2015, 07:28 PM
I did a search on amazon but didn't find it do you have a link for the $299.00 price

http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-001256-RealTime-GPS-System/dp/B00BUKKIOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420849508&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+realtime+gps+security+and+loca ting+system

Would probably want to do more research on it. The reviews on Amazon are mixed.

VP8
01-11-2015, 01:58 AM
Does anyone have any experience with vehicle tracking devices. Given the expense of these bikes, I was thinking of adding a GPS based tracking unit, as "just in case" insurance. Way cheaper than Lojacks. Anyone have one? I've never had much luck with bike alarms though that may be subject of another thread.

Have you heard of Digital Guard Dawg? They make a keyless ignition/security and they also sell a GPS tracking device for motorcycles. I personally haven't tried either product from them, but I know people who use their keyless ignition system and love it on their Victory bikes.

Here's a link to their GPS tracking device system: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles/gdt-m/product

Here's a link to their general motorcycle products if your interested: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles

fxdl2051
01-13-2015, 06:17 AM
Have you heard of Digital Guard Dawg? They make a keyless ignition/security and they also sell a GPS tracking device for motorcycles. I personally haven't tried either product from them, but I know people who use their keyless ignition system and love it on their Victory bikes.

Here's a link to their GPS tracking device system: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles/gdt-m/product

Here's a link to their general motorcycle products if your interested: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles

Interesting product, thanks for posting. I have keyless ignition on my car and love it, if there weren't so many locking thingabubs on the f6 I might wants one.

Old Ryder
01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Ok, First: Steve 0080 - I have had several bikes stolen. based on my limited knowlage, If it is not recovered in the first hour ....

WOW--- I did not know Stem was a high crime area! :icon_biggrin:

Our company uses Nextraq-- about $41 a month. Not sure what the equipment cost up front but it tracks the vehicle at all times with Satelite GPS. It even sends the boss an email or text when it is going over the posted speed limit.

VP8
01-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Interesting product, thanks for posting. I have keyless ignition on my car and love it, if there weren't so many locking thingabubs on the f6 I might wants one.

I totally agree with you. I was really close to investing the keyless ignition when I had my Victory Cross Country because I hated having to look down to my left near my knees to insert the key, and I was able to purchase the keyless ignition for nearly half the price. I wish there was a way to make our saddlebags keyless...only capable of opening if you were close to the bike with your key fob. Or, this system would work with the full Goldwings since they have the clicker to unlock their bags.