PDA

View Full Version : Best place for phone/gps

Spirit Rider
01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Hi there
I use my phone as a GPS
As this one will be plugged into a use socket inside the left box I'd rather try to find a way to mount on a fix part of the bike.
Did anyone find a nice way to install in front of the driver? Fairing ?
In addition it might be better to keep eyes closer to the road instead of watching each time close to your hands..

(Not sure I'm very clear on that one :) does anyone understand? )

Cheers

Fla_rider
01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Check out ram mounts. They have lots of options. I have a double ball on the left side. Let me get a pic standby...

Steve 0080
01-09-2015, 12:02 AM
Try a Ram Mount on top of your center dash...

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4595-Accessory-Handlebar-Mount

Deer Slayer
01-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Some of us have removed the Goldwing emblem, installed a Ram mount ball and installed at center with no vibration. :cheers:j

Spirit Rider
01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
thanks Guys, (huum... double balls... ring the bell, sorry couldn't resist)
I have these options in mind, one should be easy as previous owner had a mug holder, just need to buy same stuff from Kuryakyn... but I'd rather find a way to fix a bar or plate to the dash without unrecoverable damage. More protection, less movement, further away from my eyes and same direction than the road...

Steve, would you have an idea how to fix the bar to the dash properly?

thanks !!

Steve 0080
01-09-2015, 11:41 AM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4595-Accessory-Handlebar-Mount

I would do this if I had it to do over....

Hornblower
01-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Spirit Rider--Maybe a farkle shelf is in your future. It places all your devices closer to your line-of-sight and the vibration is minimal. Like this:

CheesyRider
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Here's another option for those with a windshield vent:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0676/0477/t/2/assets/fp_image_1.jpg?249
http://ez-gpsmount.com/
I personally would hate having the GPS up so high, but some may like the location.

Spirit Rider
01-09-2015, 07:46 PM
Many ideas there, still got 2 months to make up my mind.
Thanks to everyone!

terrydj
01-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Don't muck round with Handlebar rubbish?? get a dash
Had one on the old bike for a zillion years and theirs nothing better
Gps, Radio, Uhf, Phone all run through Autocom Comms.

Doug44
01-29-2015, 07:19 AM
Some of us have removed the Goldwing emblem, installed a Ram mount ball and installed at center with no vibration. :cheers:j

Do you pry up that emblem and can it be reused or is it destroyed ? After removing how do you get in underneath etc to secure the ram mount. I am getting ready to mount mine and have considered doing this.

Kurare79
02-08-2015, 03:45 AM
@Doug44: This is what you are looking for: http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3235-Installed-Zumo-590LM-on-center-console&p=39743#post39743

Spirit Rider
02-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks I ended up buying a kuryakyn tech connect and installed it classically as perch mount. I added a usb 12V plug right below...
However instead of having to watch the thing I'll consider leaving the phone inside the box and get a Bluetooth connection in my helmet for directions.. It usually annoys me in the car but might be a safe way on a bike..
Thanks anyway, I'll study your refered idea.

Spirit Rider
09-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks I ended up buying a kuryakyn tech connect and installed it classically as perch mount. I added a usb 12V plug right below...
However instead of having to watch the thing I'll consider leaving the phone inside the box and get a Bluetooth connection in my helmet for directions.. It usually annoys me in the car but might be a safe way on a bike..
Thanks anyway, I'll study your refered idea.

I went for simple velcro and it works perfect, I love the position right in front of my eyes, easy to keep focus on the road.
Can still connect to USB and use BT in the helmet if needed
with no damage to the bike
hope this helps
cheers

53driver
09-22-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm still thinking my phone (like my other EDC tool) needs to be on my person - so if bad stuff happens, wherever I might land/stop/run to, they are both with me for emergency use.

Injun Joe
09-22-2015, 02:11 PM
I use my phone and have it velcroed to the cover of the left box with heavy velcro. I don't need/want to see it very much. I just get the turns from the speakers. I try to keep my rides "au natural" as much as possible rarely listening to music or anything.

Steve 0080
09-22-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm still thinking my phone (like my other EDC tool) needs to be on my person - so if bad stuff happens, wherever I might land/stop/run to, they are both with me for emergency use.

Siri, (blue tooth thru helmet) call Momma !!!!!!!

Injun Joe
09-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Siri, (blue tooth thru helmet) call Momma !!!!!!!

This whole keep the phone on you is a very valid precaution. I'll have to remember it as I transition back to one phone.

Spirit Rider
12-04-2015, 08:20 AM

I know that people usually do not care about this, but just for the pleasure to help: never keep your phone on your body for extended time, your phone is looking for signal and receiving signal every x seconds... of course micro waves are involved...would you put part of your body in the microwave?
My belief after studying the matter and helping many people with pain located right at the place they kept their phone? : short phone calls, short time close to your body are OK.... long phone call: use headset with microphone avoid putting your phone at the place on your body for extended time, your cells will be happier on this area.
Hope this helps, take care

Chas
12-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Leader M/C makes some great mounts. Here is their site and a pic of how I did my Sirius radio and a GPS. I don't do a phone while riding. Personal choice of not wanting to be interrupted during my riding. Being retired, nothing is that important to warrant a cell phone interruption, for me.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/?gclid=CIPqx6aLqMECFQOSfgodvJgAwg

Baytown
12-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Here is mine. Great and simple to remove.
Ken

Big Cat
12-08-2015, 10:59 PM
Spirit Rider--Maybe a farkle shelf is in your future. It places all your devices closer to your line-of-sight and the vibration is minimal. Like this:

Having mounted my GPS and Passport radar detector on my handlebars for years...via reservoir mounts...and having tried the center console mount idea as well...I finally decided to try a Windbender with farkle shelf, and find it to be the best, most stable solution for all my accessories. Thanks, Ken, your suggestion was spot-on!