PDA

View Full Version : Home Brewed Luggage Rack

bob109
07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Several members have already devised a few Luggage Racks in lieu of using the OEM rack, which by the way has a 6 pound capacity rating:shock: Not wanting to exceed that weight, by very much, I decided to keep my creation small. Small rack, small load:icon_wink:

I like working with vinyl as it's easy to cut, mill, drill etc. In addition it's rather durable and usually gives a nice appearing finished product. I choose a Kitchen District 9.5"x15"x3/8" Cutting Board which I found at Target for $13.00. The board has some sliver flake> Guess I may give the finished rack a coat or two of PlastiDip.

Using my table saw for sizing, I then used my drill press, spade and router bits to give the board some character:icon_lol: If this proto works as planned, I may move up to a slightly larger board.

Here's some pics of the project!

F6B-RICH
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
For $13.00 and a little work with the garage power tools you can't beat that :thumb:

bobbyf6b
07-02-2013, 11:28 AM
That looks great, nice work!

BLACKBETTY12
07-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Very nice work Bob!

Wingman
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
When I saw 6 pound limit on the Honda site I almost blew beer out my nose. Who in the world would ever pack only 6 pounds worth of stuff?? Some luggage weighs six pounds with nothing in it! I just did about 800 miles over the weekend with my large camlebak loaded to the seams and bungeed it to the back seat-rest and handles, it weighed about 25-30 pounds. No problems at all, If riding two-up is not a concern for you, go with a seat bag, much more practical than 6 pounds. *end rant*

bob109
07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
When I saw 6 pound limit on the Honda site I almost blew beer out my nose. Who in the world would ever pack only 6 pounds worth of stuff?? Some luggage weighs six pounds with nothing in it! I just did about 800 miles over the weekend with my large camlebak loaded to the seams and bungeed it to the back seat-rest and handles, it weighed about 25-30 pounds. No problems at all, If riding two-up is not a concern for you, go with a seat bag, much more practical than 6 pounds. *end rant*

I ride solo all the time! I have a "Cruiser Bag" which always occupies the rear portion of my seat. I wanted the rack to carry my sleeping bag which is bulky but light. Using my small stretch net I can quickly secure the S bag to the rack.

The Cruiser Bag is constructed of 13" diameter PVC Pipe and covered in vinyl. Between my saddle bags, the rack and the C Bag, I should be able to take the kitchen sink when I travel:icon_wink:

The Cruiser Bag.

Steve 0080
07-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Nice lookin rack...round the back corners to mimic the F6 and you wil have something there !!!

I had approx 20# on my stock rack and it never complained...not sure where the weight rating comes from...it is bolted on top of the frame ?

bob109
07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Still playing around with my Homed Brewed Luggage Rack. Spent a hour at a friends shop and used his engine lathe to turn the support spools for the rack. Had a piece to 7/8" aluminum round stock which I drilled and parted to size. The offset in height between the front and rear backrest mounting holes is 5/8". Made two spools 1 1/8" long for the front and two 1 3/4" long for the rear. Those lengths put the rack on a even plane. Im going to paint the spools satin black which will closely match the backrest bracket.

A few pics:icon_biggrin:

bob109
08-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Finally finished my rack. Took some time getting the proper material but the wait was worth it. The original was made from a cutting board and had silver fleck and was smaller than I wanted. The new material is solid black:icon_biggrin: and the blank was 12" x 18" which allowed for a larger rack. The material is commercial 7/16" black vinyl which is both durable and weather resistant. Used my hand saw, drill press with 3/4" and 1" spades bits to shape and drill the material. A simple task IMHO.

Some pics of the original and new rack:icon_wink:

ddoug
08-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Bob - good looking platform. I did a similar board ; but mounted it on top of the small factory rack. By the way , I stood on the factory rack with all my 190 lbs. ;it didn't even try to break. I had to know before we left on our road trip. We strapped at least 30 lbs. on it for 3976 miles.

Pedro66
08-26-2013, 05:49 PM

Its not about the weight the rack can hold its about liability when you change the handling of the bike when you strap a refrigerator on there

bob109
08-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Its not about the weight the rack can hold its about liability when you change the handling of the bike when you strap a refrigerator on there

Would that "refrigerator" be equivalent to a "standard" Goldwing Travel Pack with speakers and built in passenger backrest in addition to it's contents.? When Honda "shaved" 62 lbs from the F6B what portion of that was the actual weight of the TP?

Pedro66
08-29-2013, 01:46 AM
Basically the manufacturer cannot control how much you load the product once you have it they don't want you to put anything on the rack at all as it might change the way the bike feels causing you to have difficulties hence the load warning

So if your told that the manufacturer rates an item at 5lbs load limit and you put on 10lbs then you absolve them of liability.

The fact that the item in reality can hold 100lbs and that a similar model vehicle already has more weight in that location is your choice but is against the manufactureres recommendation hence on your head.

As with all things commonsense must prevail

Brewdog
10-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Basically the manufacturer cannot control how much you load the product once you have it they don't want you to put anything on the rack at all as it might change the way the bike feels causing you to have difficulties hence the load warning

So if your told that the manufacturer rates an item at 5lbs load limit and you put on 10lbs then you absolve them of liability.

The fact that the item in reality can hold 100lbs and that a similar model vehicle already has more weight in that location is your choice but is against the manufactureres recommendation hence on your head.

As with all things commonsense must prevail

Biggest waste of money was this rack from Bike MP3. Flimsy paint peeling piece of junk. Poorly engineered and poorly finished.

3Chief
10-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Biggest waste of money was this rack from Bike MP3. Flimsy paint peeling piece of junk. Poorly engineered and poorly finished.

I've used the hell out of mine with no issues aside from the dumb plastic caps. If you have one and want to part with it I'm fairly certain there are many on the forum that would happily take it of your hands for a fair price.

olegoat345
10-29-2017, 03:42 PM
Can't open the pics.

jm21ddd15
10-29-2017, 05:59 PM
Nice lookin rack...round the back corners to mimic the F6 and you wil have something there !!!

I had approx 20# on my stock rack and it never complained...not sure where the weight rating comes from...it is bolted on top of the frame ?

Same here. I have had well over 20 lbs on the rack, and road thousands of miles like that, with no problems. If we listened to all of Mother Hondas recommendations, we would not have any darkside riders, or trailer hitches etc.

CNC Nut
10-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Can't open the pics.

Ditto

bob109
10-30-2017, 09:08 AM
The photo/pics were originally posted in July/August 2013. Sorry! Thought that they would be recovered during the site transformation!

bob109

Dweisman429
10-30-2017, 06:52 PM
If you still have some pics i would like to see what you came up with.
I didnt look at the date either when this thread popped back to the top