PDA

View Full Version : saddle bag protection

zeus661
01-10-2015, 07:33 PM
I am looking for something to protect the saddlebags from minor scratches cause from closing the saddlebags.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Mucho wax on mine.Almost a can and half of Liquid Glass and many black box waxings.
No more soft paint and seems to scratch less often.
Go Ducks!!:clap2:
Jim

Steve 0080
01-10-2015, 08:53 PM
+1 ........

er.medic
01-10-2015, 09:28 PM
... and many black box waxings.
Jim

What are black box waxings?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-10-2015, 09:50 PM
What are black box waxings?

Mcguires or Turtle wax, black wax, designed for black or darker paint color.These usually fill in scratches and swirls.
It's really a labor of love. Wax and seal with Liquid glass, repeat.....repeat. My wife calls it ride n polish, ride n polish..
J

Phantom
01-10-2015, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEpX1ykFtwY

er.medic
01-10-2015, 09:57 PM
Do you alternate the black wax and the liquid glass?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes,
I do. Someone who reads the directions on the Liquid glass bottle will tell you that the surface should be stripped of wax and clean, before applying it. Fine, ok. I never read any directions, right.. I do a clean up, put on a killer black wax job, then apply Liquid glass to seal it. It works and looks perfect. Check my link below. Did I mention I'm probably Obsessive compulsive about it looking and keeping it looking perfect. Perhaps anal..
Good luck.

shooter
01-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Yes,
I do. Someone who reads the directions on the Liquid glass bottle will tell you that the surface should be stripped of wax and clean, before applying it. Fine, ok. I never read any directions, right.. I do a clean up, put on a killer black wax job, then apply Liquid glass to seal it. It works and looks perfect. Check my link below. Did I mention I'm probably Obsessive compulsive about it looking and keeping it looking perfect. Perhaps anal..
Good luck.
Its OK to be like that Dirt. I am too. You mayout ride me.....probably not. You may out run me......probably not. No matter. Mine will always be cleaner and better looking.

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Its OK to be like that Dirt. I am too. You mayout ride me.....probably not. You may out run me......probably not. No matter. Mine will always be cleaner and better looking.

Check..Probably not.:icon_wink: J/K..
Good Luck, Zuess.
J

er.medic
01-11-2015, 08:25 AM
If I already have swirl marks, would you use the Meguire's Black Wax first or something like Swirl X first, then the Meguire's, then the Liquid Glass?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-11-2015, 12:41 PM
If I already have swirl marks, would you use the Meguire's Black Wax first or something like Swirl X first, then the Meguire's, then the Liquid Glass?

I have never tried the swirl x. I have tried scratch x and was unimpressed. Try the swirl x, then a good quality black wax like Turtle or Mcguires, until you get the result you are looking for, then pour on the applications of Liquid Glass. Take note; I use the best quality- expensive polish cloths (walmart)when doing mine. You will need to use several so the build up isnt keeping the cloth from producing the most clear and deep finish. Last, when the sun does return to your climate, park the bike directly in it. It sets the LG clear coat.
Foot note. If waxing in winter in your garage - heat the garage to at least 50 or better for good results.
Opinions will vary, but this gives me great results.
Wax on...Wax off, friend.
Jim

Ixol Phaane
01-11-2015, 01:22 PM
OK... so lots of folks here are recommending various waxes and surface treatments... but no one has mentioned protective films - like 3M ScotchGuard, Clear Bra, etc. I know they are available for some bikes... older Wings, VFRs, CBRs, HDs and others... but I haven't seen anything for the current model Wings. Why not?

I've used the stuff on a couple of previous bikes - it worked great - and Honda has even had it available as a factory accessory for several models in the past. As I recall it was fairly easy to apply, was decent protection, and was darn near invisible. I know it's still available and in use.

So, any thoughts on why it doesn't seem to be much on the minds of riders these days?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-11-2015, 01:37 PM
OK... so lots of folks here are recommending various waxes and surface treatments... but no one has mentioned protective films - like 3M ScotchGuard, Clear Bra, etc. I know they are available for some bikes... older Wings, VFRs, CBRs, HDs and others... but I haven't seen anything for the current model Wings. Why not?

I've used the stuff on a couple of previous bikes - it worked great - and Honda has even had it available as a factory accessory for several models in the past. As I recall it was fairly easy to apply, was decent protection, and was darn near invisible. I know it's still available and in use.

So, any thoughts on why it doesn't seem to be much on the minds of riders these days?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Only other I have experience with is hydrodipping.
You can cover whatever parts you want with a clear, you decide, x mil thickness of protective film or a patterned film. There is also a similar wrapping film you peel the back off
http://www.carprotectionpro.com/motorcycle-services.php
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=protection+film&tag=hydsma-20&index=automotive&hvadid=43873965291&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3847678832193447712&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_7qxxvbxook_bI'm

I'm Out

valkmc
01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
I used the clear protectant on the saddle bags on my C-14. I was a pain to put on but looked good and it kept the bags clean. I removed it when I sold the bike and the bags looked great. Wish I could remember who I ordered it from.

Big Jay
01-11-2015, 08:17 PM
3m makes a spray on coating that can be peeled off when it gets to looking bad, they say it lasts for up to a year. There is also the clear bra type of stuff that last many years, may need to find a place that applies the stuff. I know there are places that do the front of cars and trucks so they should be able to do areas of a motorcycle.